PDA

View Full Version : Team Report

BB2W
06-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Steelers Team Report
Gerry Dulac (Fox Sports)
06/21/05

In all likelihood, the team will plan on starting the season with veteran Willie Williams at left cornerback. Williams was re-signed to a two-year contract in the offseason after starting 10 regular-season games in 2004 for an injured Chad Scott. Williams made few mistakes and played so well against the run that the team might be reluctant to start this season with Ricardo Colclough, a No. 2 pick in 2004. Colclough is faster and more athletic than Williams, but until Williams starts to slack off the coaches will stick with him. . . .

Veteran Charlie Batch will be in a quarterback battle at training camp, but it won't be with Tommy Maddox as the backup to Ben Roethlisberger. It will be to see if he or Brian St. Pierre, a former fifth-round pick, is the No. 3 quarterback. Batch has the edge because of experience and athleticism, though he hasn't played much in three seasons with the Steelers. He was not re-signed to challenge Maddox, who will be the No. 2 quarterback.

SCOUTING REPORT: The team likes CB Deshea Townsend so much because he is more than their best cover corner. Despite his size (5-10, 191), he is a good tackler and plays very well in run support. Townsend does a good job of transitioning from the receiver to the ball in coverage and has enough athleticism to make plays. What's more, the team likes to use him in the slot in nickel defense because he is such an effective blitzer.

OFFENSIVE ADJUSTMENTS: One of the things the coaches want to do with QB Ben Roethlisberger is open up the passing game in his second season. That's one reason they drafted TE Heath Miller with their No. 1 pick. Miller gives the team a reliable and athletic receiver in the middle of the field, and the coaches want to take advantage of his abilities. Jerame Tuman is a serviceable blocker and receiver, but he doesn't present a matchup problem like Miller.

INSIDE DISH: Do not be surprised if the team gives up on CB Ike Taylor, a fourth-round pick in 2003. The coaches have questioned his dedication, and he could become expendable because of the impressive showing by rookie CB Bryant McFadden in minicamp.

WIDE RECEIVERS ANALYSIS: Grade: B. The biggest question is the loss of Plaxico Burress and how he will be replaced. The free-agent addition of Cedric Wilson should add speed to the outside and help create more big plays.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-23-2005, 05:28 PM
One of the things the coaches want to do with QB Ben Roethlisberger is open up the passing game in his second season.

Please tell me im not the only one worried by this...lets hope they learned from their mistakes 2 years ago when tommygun was in full swing and we went 6-10.

Open it up for Ben yes, give him more options and free reign on the playbook, but dont go overzealous w/ it. remember who we are and what our identity is.

clevestinks
06-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Good point Blitz, we run we eat up clock and we play great D. But I`m curious!

Ike possibly getting cut is a surprise!

BB2W
06-23-2005, 11:41 PM
INSIDE DISH: Do not be surprised if the team gives up on CB Ike Taylor, a fourth-round pick in 2003. The coaches have questioned his dedication, and he could become expendable because of the impressive showing by rookie CB Bryant McFadden in minicamp.
This is news, but I think we all saw this coming.....I would not be suprised if Lee Mays gets cut too.....

BlitzburghRockCity
06-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Good point Blitz, we run we eat up clock and we play great D. But I`m curious!

Ike possibly getting cut is a surprise!

I think it really all depends on his camp..this is his year to step up and play well..he's got heated competition from Coclough and now mcfadden too.

clevestinks
06-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Yeah maybe they are just trying to light a fire?

bigbensgirl7
06-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Please tell me im not the only one worried by this...lets hope they learned from their mistakes 2 years ago when tommygun was in full swing and we went 6-10.

Open it up for Ben yes, give him more options and free reign on the playbook, but dont go overzealous w/ it. remember who we are and what our identity is.
I don't think the Steelers are going to stray far from our running game...Ii think it is just menaing that there will be more options and everyonce in a while we will pass on first and second down. I think they will still pride themselves in running the ball, wearing defenses down, and controlling the clock! I think it will just be utalized to throw the defenses off and not be as predictible, which will also help our running game to be even better than before, IMO!

clevestinks
06-24-2005, 05:32 PM
I don't think the Steelers are going to stray far from our running game...Ii think it is just menaing that there will be more options and everyonce in a while we will pass on first and second down. I think they will still pride themselves in running the ball, wearing defenses down, and controlling the clock! I think it will just be utalized to throw the defenses off and not be as predictible, which will also help our running game to be even better than before, IMO!
And hopefully what works during the season, will continue into the offseason.

bigbensgirl7
06-24-2005, 05:40 PM
And hopefully what works during the season, will continue into the offseason.
Yah...well that too! Good call Cleve :)

BlitzburghRockCity
06-24-2005, 10:59 PM

Thats exactly what I hope will happen... Cowher has preached one thing year in and year out more than anything else..and thats Balance.. you've gotta have balance. the Steelers especially cannot survive w/out balance. We need everybody, 100% of the time, doing their job, and we need a good mix of different styles of play...yet never straying from what helps us run out the clock w/ 5 minutes to go.

BB2W
06-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Team Report
(Fox) June 27th

The coaches were really impressed in minicamp with rookie LB Rian Wallace, an inside linebacker from Temple. That is good news for a position that will need some depth after the free-agent loss of ILB Kendrell Bell. Larry Foote, who started every game in 2005, has developed into a dependable player who takes good angles to the ball and has the ability to play in pass coverage. But Bell's loss created a depth problem inside, and Wallace looks as though he will be the answer. The coaches like his toughness and instincts. . . .

The decision to re-sign veteran S Travis Carter is an indication the team is not sure about Mike Logan, who has beset with injuries the past couple years. Logan, a former starter missed nearly the entire 2004 season with injury. In his absence, first-year S Russell Stuvaints spent time in the dime defense and impressed the coaches with his speed and ball reaction.

SCOUTING REPORT: The team will try to use DE Travis Kirschke even more this season because starter Kimo von Oelhoffen is 34 and in the last year of his contract. Kirschke, a free-agent pickup in 2004, played very well last season, showing good strength and explosion off the ball. He also does a good job using his hands inside to shed blockers. Kirschke often played in the dime defense as one of two pass-rushers, but he is primarily an inside rusher who will not threaten to the outside.

COACH UNDER PRESSURE: Secondary coach Darren Perry will have a tough job this season because he has lost his most experienced cornerback, Chad Scott, who was released, and has to hope that either veteran Willie Williams or second-year CB Ricardo Colclough can step in. Williams started 12 games after Scott was injured last season and the team was 11-1 with him as a starter. But Williams is in his 13th season and is susceptible to getting beat deep. Perry will also have to get rookie No. 2 Bryant McFadden ready in a hurry.

INSIDE DISH: The Steelers and four-time Pro Bowl WR Hines Ward are talking about a contract extension, but the sides remain far apart and probably won't get a deal done until the beginning of training camp. Ward, who is in the final year of his contract, is in a good bargaining position because the Steelers let their other starting receiver, Plaxico Burress, leave in free agency.

TIGHT ENDS ANALYSIS: GRADE C-plus: The addition of rookie No. 1 Heath Miller will drastically improve the position because it gives the team a quality pass-catcher over the middle. It will make Jerame Tuman a better No. 2 tight end.

atlsteelers
06-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Lets open the offense up a little, give ben the ball... everybody in the house could call the plays in the AFC championship game...throw the ball more on first down..run some play action passes...get ben out of the pocket...and lets see fast willie parker on the field...well maybe - if can learn how to catch a football

BB2W
06-27-2005, 12:27 PM
I couldn't agree more....... +1

steelparrot
06-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Lets open the offense up a little, give ben the ball... everybody in the house could call the plays in the AFC championship game...throw the ball more on first down..run some play action passes...get ben out of the pocket...and lets see fast willie parker on the field...well maybe - if can learn how to catch a football

bingo. last year we kept winning so there was no need to fool around with the play calling. However when it came playoffs and we started facing teams for a second time, we were to predictable. However, its been said before and ill say it again, balance. It seems the steelers go to the well one to many times if they have success with one thing.