PDA

View Full Version : Browns Send Trent Richardson to Colts

Bane
09-18-2013, 06:06 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000246821/article/colts-trade-2014-1stround-pick-to-browns-for-trent-richardson

Trent Richardson traded to Colts from Browns for pick

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: Sept. 18, 2013 at 06:24 p.m.
Updated: Sept. 18, 2013 at 07:02 p.m.

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay teased fans Wednesday on Twitter, promising a shocking trade. He delivered.

The Colts acquired running back Trent Richardson from the Cleveland Browns on Wednesday in exchange for the Colts' 2014 first-round draft pick. Just one year after the Browns drafted Richardson No. 3 overall, the team's new regime has given up on him. The Browns are loading up on 2014 draft picks.

It's a stunning move: Richardson was considered the centerpiece of the offense. But new coach Rob Chudzinski, new general manager Michael Lombardi and new COO Joe Banner clearly decided that he no longer fit their plans.

The Colts' offense gets a much-needed boost after losing running back Vick Ballard and tight end Dwayne Allen for the season. General manager Ryan Grigson has shown a penchant for making trades and swinging for the fences since he hit town, with positive results. Their backfield, which looked so questionable, now looks like a strength with Ahmad Bradshaw backing up Richardson.

Lombardi will take a lot of heat for this move. The Colts were a playoff team last season, so the draft pick might not be particularly high in the first round. And yet the Browns still didn't want to keep Richardson. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the Browns will bring in Willis McGahee on Wednesday, and plan to sign him if he passes a physical. Bobby Rainey -- who doesn't have a regular-season carry in his career -- looks like the team's possible starter.

Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden summed up how a lot of Browns fans are probably feeling.

"Shocked man," the QB said to NFL Media's Jeff Darlington in a text message Wednesday. "That's all I can say."

We don't think it's that crazy of a trade for Cleveland. Richardson has struggled with injuries since he entered the league and has averaged 3.5 yards per carry. He's said it was "kind of a shocker" that he wasn't used more often in the season opener. We can only imagine how shocked he'll be after this.

And to think: We believed Brian Hoyer starting at quarterback would be the big news in Cleveland on Wednesday.

From a sympathetic Steelers fan:

Are you fucking kidding me?

Fire Arians
09-18-2013, 06:08 PM
i woulda even considered this trade if i was the steeler FO, we could have had our feature back right there

Bane
09-18-2013, 06:09 PM
i woulda even considered this trade if i was the steeler FO, we could have had our feature back right there

I would have considered it as well... But come on, Cleveland. Get out of your own way.

They're saying on the NFL Channel that they're doing this to secure the "future" (and by future, we all know what that means in Cleveland) QB next draft, and that Brandon Weeden is pretty much done, now that Brian Hoyer has been promoted to starter.

Still, Trent and Joe Thomas are the two best parts about this offense, and they do this?

*Edit*: Just saw the other thread on this. If a mod could merge it, that'd be cool.

ebsteelers
09-18-2013, 06:10 PM
I have him on my fantasy team and love the move for him.

I know he doesnt have great numbers from ypc but he was by far their best offensive weapon.

and especially giving him up for a pick in the 20s

I think it also means Weeden is going to be out the next few months and not just weeks

seems like a white flag wave for them to get a top 5 pick and get their franchise qb.

JonM229
09-18-2013, 06:15 PM
So much for the Steelers trying to get Clowney

NSMaster56
09-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Wow. Just Wow.

ebsteelers
09-18-2013, 06:22 PM
So much for the Steelers trying to get Clowney

we are trading ben for jersey joe and some jersey corn..

that should put us back in the lead for clowney

Bane
09-18-2013, 06:24 PM
If Trent got a 1st rounder after a season plus two more games, the Raiders would have traded us every pick over their next three drafts for Ben back when the rumors were flying around.

zcoop
09-18-2013, 06:24 PM
The Browns have to be nuts, I believe that front office really has shit for brains.

Carolina Steelers
09-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Shocked just shocked!!!!!

Fire Haley
09-18-2013, 06:31 PM
This is the most obvious tank in NFL history.

tony hipchest
09-18-2013, 06:31 PM

he would have just gotten hurt plus we already spent a second round pick on our franchise back

NSMaster56
09-18-2013, 06:34 PM
The Browns have to be nuts, I believe that front office really has shit for brains.

Have you ever heard Mike Lombardi on the BS Report?

It's entirely possible.

Atlanta Dan
09-18-2013, 06:57 PM

Agree with Tony on this one - trading what is shaping up to be a fairly high first round pick after using a second round pick to draft Bell makes about as much sense as moving Richardson after you burned the #3 pick on him last year.

Richardson was not exactly in a neck and neck race with Peterson for the rushing title last season

The 5-9, 225-pound Richardson was the third-overall pick in the 2012 draft. He rushed for 950 yards and 11 touchdowns as a rookie and had rushed for 105 yards on no TDs in Cleveland’s first two games this year.

Colts are in a win now mood

The Colts’ desire to strengthen their backfield is a direct result of losing leading rusher Vick Ballard to a season-ending knee injury.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130918/SPORTS/309180070/Colts-trade-2014-first-round-pick-Cleveland-RB-Trent-Richardson?nclick_check=1

IMO the Colts overpaid just like Cleveland overpaid to trade up for Richardson with the third pick in last year's draft - in today's NFL you can get a quality back after the first round

MasterOfPuppets
09-18-2013, 06:59 PM
i thought it was a stupid pick by the browns to begin with. how many games have the browns won on a strong performance by richardson ? ZERO
this ain't 1970 ...running backs don't win games. QB's and good defenses win games.
browns should have taken luke kuechly

Atlanta Dan
09-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Have you ever heard Mike Lombardi on the BS Report?

It's entirely possible.

LOL - Maybe Lombardi is getting counseling from that other media talking head who made such a successful transition to the front office - Matt Millen

OX1947
09-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Steelers already have a Clowney, his name is Jarvis Jones. Steelers need an all world receiver by the name of Mike Evans out of Texas A&M. Looks like they may have a shot at him in 2014. That should help Ben tremendously the rest of the way.

Atlanta Dan
09-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Steelers already have a Clowney, his name is Jarvis Jones. Steelers need an all world receiver by the name of Mike Evans out of Texas A&M. Looks like they may have a shot at him in 2014. That should help Ben tremendously the rest of the way.

Evans definitely lit it up against Bama's dwarf CBs and has the size for a stud WR (6-5/225), but my concern is how much he might benefit by getting open after Johnny Football performs his magic tricks

Lots of college studs benefit from their co-workers - such as Trent Richardson running behind his O-line at Bama

tony hipchest
09-18-2013, 07:16 PM
oh yeah and we already gave the Browns are 3rd round pick for 2014

jacobo
09-18-2013, 07:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPqksG9nbA

OX1947
09-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Evans definitely lit it up against Bama's dwarf CBs and has the size for a stud WR (6-5/225), but my concern is how much he might benefit by getting open after Johnny Football performs his magic tricks

Lots of college studs benefit from their co-workers - such as Trent Richardson running behind his O-line at Bama

I find it quite ironic you say that. Who's mastered the game that Johnny Football has been showcasing the last year plus? And who does that guy play for?

Steelstoned1972
09-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Let's face it. The Browns don't like competition for the basement so they are dumping players to ensure they finish below us.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Atlanta Dan
09-18-2013, 07:45 PM
I find it quite ironic you say that. Who's mastered the game that Johnny Football has been showcasing the last year plus? And who does that guy play for?

That mastery frankly has been pretty much missing since 2010 if we are both talking about #7 - it is a lot easier to run around in your early to mid-20s than after this stat I saw Monday night and was able to retrieve

Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked 334 times in his career (over 100 times more than any other quarterback since 2004)

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000217075#photo=8

I just do not know how much more Ben has left in the tank to play like he did in earlier years

I do agree the Steelers need to draft a grown man WR like Megatron, Julio Jones, A.J. Green or Andre Johnson rather than another sub-6 foot quick WR - the trick with college players is figuring out how much of their performance is them and how much is the system they played in

:drink:

Atlanta Dan
09-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Let's face it. The Browns don't like competition for the basement so they are dumping players to ensure they finish below us.

But the 2013 Steelers have a weapon with which to fight back if that is their plan

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/255/746/haley_420.jpg

tony hipchest
09-18-2013, 08:01 PM
I do agree the Steelers need to draft a grown man WR like Megatron, Julio Jones, A.J. Green or Andre Johnson rather than another sub-6 foot quick WR - the trick with college players is figuring out how much of their performance is them and how much is the system they played in

:drink:limas sweed?

Aaron Rodgers who takes a ton of socks in his own right was actually praise last weekend for willingly taking sacks instead of throwing an interception. and he has battled his own concussion issues. Funny how the media doesn't see it as a problem for him but with Cutler and Ben it's a completely different overhyped story.

Atlanta Dan
09-18-2013, 08:24 PM
limas sweed?

Well I am assuming you draft someone who can actually catch the ball:chuckle:

Last top 10 first round pick the Steelers had was Plaxico Burress - they got some good years out of him until they made the right choice by keeping Ward rather than Plax

Aaron Rodgers who takes a ton of socks in his own right was actually praise last weekend for willingly taking sacks instead of throwing an interception. and he has battled his own concussion issues. Funny how the media doesn't see it as a problem for him but with Cutler and Ben it's a completely different overhyped story.

It was a stated concern during their Super Bowl season

Another Concussion for Packers’ Rodgers

Rodgers was sacked a league-high 50 times last year, and two more Sunday give him 27 this season. Playoffs or no playoffs, do the Packers have an obligation to err on the side of caution with him now that he’s had two concussions this season?

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/12/another-concussion-for-packers-rodgers/

But my recollection is Rodgers has not missed games since then. OTOH Ben missed time with the ankle in 2011 and the broken rib/shoulder injury last season after playing on one leg with a broken nose in the Sunday night game in Baltimore (which followed Ward calling him out on national TV in 2009 for not playing in Baltimore after being concussed in KC)

Despite all the happy talk about a warmer, more caring NFL, if you take a licking and keep on ticking you are a stud but if you miss time you are either "increasingly injury prone" (Ben) or "soft" (Cutler in NFC championship game)

GodfatherofSoul
09-18-2013, 08:35 PM
That mastery frankly has been pretty much missing since 2010 if we are both talking about #7 - it is a lot easier to run around in your early to mid-20s than after this stat I saw Monday night and was able to retrieve

Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked 334 times in his career (over 100 times more than any other quarterback since 2004)

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000217075#photo=8

I just do not know how much more Ben has left in the tank to play like he did in earlier years

:drink:

Misleading stat. How many other QBs have started that long? The Mannings, Brady, and BreesI'm guessing? And 2 of them were IRd a whole season.

Still that's a lot of extra tackles.

GodfatherofSoul
09-18-2013, 08:43 PM
I don't think the trade itself is dumb, just the circumstances. I'm assuming the stories about them wanting to make a play on a QB in the draft are true. First, you're screwing a whole season waiting this long. Second, you're probably going to suck anyway so you'd have a high draft pick and you could simply give up other lower picks or in later years. By disrupting the team, they might not even NEED the extra pick to trade up. Third, if you're trying to build a team, having a legit feature back to take the pressure off your rookie would be nice. Fourth, how many other scrub teams are looking for franchise QBs? The Jags are going to be desperate enough that there's no way they'd trade down for an elite pick. MAYBE Tampa Bay would be competition, but there'll probably be a new coach next year and I bet he'd give Josh Freeman another shot. Fifth, it sounds like the Browns are going to lose a lot of faith (money) from fans for this move :noidea:

Atlanta Dan
09-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Misleading stat. How many other QBs have started that long? The Mannings, Brady, and BreesI'm guessing? And 2 of them were IRd a whole season.

Still that's a lot of extra tackles.

Agreed it is cumulative but since 2005 it has been pretty bad - actually improved a bit in 2012

NFL Team QB sacked per game (rank) (Pittsburgh)

2004 - 2.1 (12)
2005 - 1.9 (14)
2006 - 3.1 (28)
2007 - 3.1 (28)
2008 - 3.0 (29)
2009 - 3.1 (31)
2010 - 2.7 (25)
2011 - 2.8 (25)
2012 - 2.3 (19)

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/qb-sacked-per-game

And that of course does not include the hits taken when Ben is able to get the ball off because he is so damn strong

PhantomJB93
09-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Just so everyone's aware, the Browns essentially traded:

-#3 overall pick in 2012 draft
-#4 overall pick in 2012 draft
-Fourth round pick in 2012 draft
-Fifth round pick in 2012 draft
-Seventh round pick in 2012 draft

For a whopping return of:

-Late, probably bottom ten first round pick in 2014 draft

lol

Steelstoned1972
09-18-2013, 09:40 PM
This is the most obvious tank in NFL history.

Are you suggesting they are going Cavalier on our asses ? Bastards can't stomach the thought of a little competition ......for the basement! Lol , ok I'm Steel stoned and I definitely am currently drunk so I'm just a tad bit buzzed and a lil ornery ! It is a big gamble trading a potential franchise running back for ammunition to pick a potential franchise Qb that may never amount to shit .

Steelstoned1972
09-18-2013, 09:41 PM
But the 2013 Steelers have a weapon with which to fight back if that is their plan

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/255/746/haley_420.jpg

Is he blowing a kiss to his boyfriend ???

cowherpower
09-19-2013, 09:18 AM
In Cleveland's defense. It was the prior regime's pick. Unless your name is Adrian Peterson no RB is worth a high pick. You don't win championships in today's NFL running the football. Richardson is soft. Cleveland needs to get one of the top QBs. On paper it looks real bad though because they will not recoup the same high pick from Indy, but I get why they did it

Lokki
09-19-2013, 11:21 AM

No wonder the play calling sucks. He's not even getting it into the microphone. :sofunny:

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2013, 03:39 PM
The incompetence of Todd Haley v. "The Factory Of Sadness" - who will prevail?:noidea:

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/255/746/haley_420.jpg http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tRBDMMVctu8

Buddha Bus
09-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Is he blowing a kiss to his boyfriend ???

Nope. Checking his breath for the inevitable sideline meltdown screaming match between he and Ben.

No wonder the play calling sucks. He's not even getting it into the microphone. :sofunny:

And his playbook is invisible.

NSMaster56
09-20-2013, 06:10 PM
In Cleveland's defense. It was the prior regime's pick.

In Cleveland's defense, they're Cleveland.

zcoop
09-20-2013, 07:32 PM
In Cleveland's defense, they're Cleveland.

You're right sir, they're who we thought they were. Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest. This move in no possible way make them a better football team. Richardson will excel at Indy.

stb_steeler
09-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Maybe Drew Carry can help

Atlanta Dan
09-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Maybe Drew Carry can help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vl5FWUMnNM

NSMaster56
09-21-2013, 11:09 AM
^I would be lying if I said that I didn't think that intro was funny, good and/or kewl.

SkipBayless69
09-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Just so everyone's aware, the Browns essentially traded:

-#3 overall pick in 2012 draft
-#4 overall pick in 2012 draft
-Fourth round pick in 2012 draft
-Fifth round pick in 2012 draft
-Seventh round pick in 2012 draft

For a whopping return of:

-Late, probably bottom ten first round pick in 2014 draft

lol

And of course what is hilarious is that the Browns moved up 1 spot ahead of the Vikings who would never draft Richardson anyways.

The Browns thought RIchardson would be a franchise back and were afraid Minnesota would trade their pick to someone else.

Priceless.