PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Kickoff Luncheon

HometownGal
09-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Yesterday, XT and I attended the 2006 Steelers Kickoff Luncheon at the Pittsburgh Hilton, sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce.

The event started off with autograph tables featuring former 70's Super Bowl teamers Mike Wagner (an extraordinary safety who was a bit of an unsung hero on that team of greats), Randy Grossman (TE) and Robin Cole (LB). All three men were very personable, and even shook hands with us after they signed our Terrible Towels! :cool: It was great to meet those guys.

Tables were set up in the lobby outside of the Grand Ballroom where you could purchase raffle tickets for various prizes (autographed footballs, gift cards, an autographed copy of Willie Parker's book, tickets to upcoming Steelers games, etc.) and a silent auction was held for various items, including game tickets and a VIP pass for 4 to the 2007 Steelers training camp.

We went into the Grand Ballroom and sat down to a delicious lunch, which we shared with..........yep - all of our Steelers and coaches! Their tables were set up on the stage and they filed in one by one and took their places in rows. Coach Cowher was right in front, dead center! There were various speeches before we all feasted on our lunches, including Art Rooney, II, Dan Rooney, Tunch Ilkin and Craig Wolfley, who were the co-hosts for the event. While we ate lunch, we were treated to clips from the 2005 season and a re-run of the Super Bowl XL video. We were all cheering wildly in between gobbling up the great food served! :cool: It was cool to see all of the Steelers players intently watching the videos right along with us! :bouncy: Coach Cowher, Hines Ward and Casey Hampton all spoke and thanked the fans for their support. btw - Hines confirmed that he WILL be playing in the opener! WOO HOO!

After lunch, each and every player and coach was introduced and shown close up on the giant screens around the ballroom. Many of the guys were smiling when the crowd cheered. (siss- Ben looked great!). I will have pics from the event in a day or two which I will post.

When the Steelers were leaving the stage, both XT and I went out through the main lobby to use the restrooms. As we were walking towards the restroom area, who walks directly in front of us? Mr. Dan Rooney. He smiled at us and I put my hand out to shake his hand which he accepted warmly and I thanked him for all he has done for every Steelers fan out there and his response as he continued to shake my hand was "no - thank YOU". XT shook his hand as well, and was just as awed as I was! That was truly the highlight of the day! :bouncy: What a genuinely warm person Mr. Rooney is!

If any of you have the opportunity to go next season, do it! It was the best $55.00 I've ever spent! :cool:

BlackNGold203
09-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Ticket to the Steeler Luncheon....$55

Meeting Mr. Rooney....PRICELESS!!!!

Congrats!!!

What an incredible experience that must have been!!!!!!

Lyn
09-01-2006, 09:44 AM
That must have been one awesome experience for you! or for anyone for that matter LOL :) I am happy you go to go and had the experience of a lifetime. Did you get any pictures at all? That is so wonderful I can only imagine the thrill you must have had!

Hugs to you,

floodcitygirl
09-01-2006, 09:53 AM
I wondered where you were! What an awesome time! Can't wait to see the pics! Thanks for sharing. :smile:

melroseplace
09-03-2006, 12:39 AM
sounds like you had an awesome time! glad to hear it

HometownGal
09-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks. :smile: It was just an incredible day all the way around! :dancing:

Maybe we can get a table next year and some of you can attend - I guarantee you a great time! :bouncy:

I should have the pictures back by Tuesday or Wednesday and I'll be sure to post 'em. :smile: