PDA

View Full Version : 10 Most Expensive Places To Live

Lyn
09-01-2006, 11:59 AM
http://www.move.com/apartments/tips-guide/content00028078.aspx?gate=aolrealestate&source=a11334&poe=move

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 12:00 PM
$693.57 in Phoenix will get you smack dab in the middle of the barrio.

Ridiculous list.

Lyn
09-01-2006, 12:03 PM
LOL sounds like it is :)

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 12:35 PM
One of the things I want people to see is the cities that aren't on there.

Nashville
Birmingham
Little Rock
Clarksville
Charlotte

Southern cities can be great places to live and very affordable.

beSteelmyheart
09-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Somehow I knew that the Bay area, California would be somewhere at the top of the list..
I was out there for 6 years & had a 1br apartment that we were paying almost 1000.00/month for. And that was almost 5 years ago. It was very hard to move out of the state-we were always broke! I learned my lesson on that one. Never again.

$693.57 in Phoenix will get you smack dab in the middle of the barrio.

Same in Ca...that's why we were paying 995.00 /month

Hawk Believer
09-01-2006, 09:40 PM
I figured Seattle was going to be on the list....

And I was right. I am a slave to my mortgage.

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Seattle has been among the most overpriced housing markets for a long time.

I like Southern living. Low cost of living and high community and job growth.

Plus no Seahawk fans. :smile:

Lyn
09-01-2006, 11:48 PM
One of the things I want people to see is the cities that aren't on there.

Nashville
Birmingham
Little Rock
Clarksville
Charlotte

Southern cities can be great places to live and very affordable.

And those cities are so pretty too!

Jeremy
09-02-2006, 01:21 AM
No, there's nothing wrong with Southern living. And a good education will really carry you a long way down here.

Hawk Believer
09-02-2006, 01:57 AM
Seattle has been among the most overpriced housing markets for a long time.

I like Southern living. Low cost of living and high community and job growth.

Plus no Seahawk fans. :smile:

The scary thing is that every real estate analyst says that Seattle prices will continue to go up. If the bubble bursts, then the market might flatten out some. But nobody thinks it will go down barring some major catastrophe like a dirty bomb or something.

The problem out here is that Seattle is wedged between the Puget Sound and a giant lake. The traffic to get across the lake or up and down the 1-5 corridor is terrible. All the buildable land in Seattle is in use. We are victims of our geography. People want to live close to the city because of the commerce/jobs and cultural appeal. And if you go far enough out of town to buy reasonably priced land, you live too far away. So that combined with a really strong future job market makes for a crazy real estate market. I'm not complaining that people have jobs. Its just depressing if you are trying to buy a house on a middle class income.

Thank goodness my wife and I bought a house when we got married five years ago. If we didn't get dealt into the game back then, there is no way we could afford anything besides a tiny condo or townhouse now...

I know, I could move. I was jsut doing work at Brentwood outside of Nashville. It was beautiful and I was shocked to see what incredible houses you could buy for less than 400K. But I love this town and have worked hard to develop my business out here. I don't know if I could live away from the water and mountains. So I'll stop bitching about house prices since its my choice to be here.

floodcitygirl
09-02-2006, 08:57 AM
I empathize with you Hawk. I have a relative that lives in Seattle. He's getting married next year and they want to buy a house. Even with both of their incomes, it doesn't seem possible. He has a very location-based type of job which limits where he can go in the field. They're trying to make a decision now if they'll need to move to the Carolinas...even though they love it there.

3 to be 4
09-02-2006, 03:25 PM
No, there's nothing wrong with Southern living. And a good education will really carry you a long way down here.

just stay away from Florence, South Carolina. unless you like broken down shacks everywhere , tobacco fields, locusts, the smell of sulfur, high crime, humidity, rotten schools, trailer parks, low wages, and waiting 20 minutes for an order at McDonalds. other than that, it was great.

clevestinks
09-02-2006, 05:27 PM
After spending two weeks in Beverly Hills a month ago, I would have placed them up there. Parking alone would cost you $200 a month. Hell to run in Starbucks for coffe cost $3 to park

Tankus_Maximus
09-10-2006, 07:02 PM
$1600 gets you smack dab in the middle of the barrio in So-Cal!! That's the main reason I wanna leave!!

SteelShooter
09-10-2006, 08:06 PM
$915.66 in San Diego?????????????

They MUST be joking!!!! The only way you can get away with paying that price would be a 1 room studio....complete with door-to-door drug sales and gang recruitment.

For a "decent" area, you had better be willing to pay $1400-$2200/mo. Anything less and you can count out owning the same TV for more than a week or two.

Tankus_Maximus
09-13-2006, 12:20 AM
This sh! t is gettin outta control....cost of housing keeps going up...gas keeps going up...but the wages stay the same.

SteelShooter
09-13-2006, 12:23 AM
$1600 gets you smack dab in the middle of the barrio in So-Cal!! That's the main reason I wanna leave!!

I AM leaving :sofunny: Come November I'm outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Since my town is the national HQ for State Farm Insurance...plus we have two universities here.... We get alot of people who move here from out of state. I have seen people who have sold small houses in Southern California for 300K and bought incredible houses here. Our school system is good...and the wages are high. I could almost buy a home..sell it every three years and make huge profits.