PDA

View Full Version : Top 4 pick

teegre
09-30-2013, 01:12 AM
Let's have some fun with this. It's not often that we can discuss the top 4 picks (and by srason's end, I truly doubt that the Steelers will actually be drafting this high).

Clowney & Bridgewater will be gone, and there are reasons that neither really make sense right now for the Steelers (although I like both).

Sammy Watkins? Jake Matthews? Louis Nix?

I gotta say Matthews.

R1: Matthews, LT, Texas A&M
R2: Purifoy, CB, Florida
R3: Murray, QB, Georgia

*Murray will likely move up, possibly even into R1, because he's really good. But, as of right now, people have him listed as a 3rd rounder... because he's short. BUT, Drew Brees & Russell Wilson have shown that short QBs can indeed achieve.

kan_t
09-30-2013, 02:10 AM
LT is and should be the only pirority there.

Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan.

ricardisimo
09-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Matthews.

cbrunn
09-30-2013, 05:27 AM
I would try to trade down still in the stop 10

I think if its top 4 you have to take a QB for life after Ben

You don't usually get a chance to solidify the most important position on the field... Take Huntley (I like mariota or however its spelled but not sure he'll succeeded in the NFL maybe just a system QB) and let him sit behind Ben and learn until Ben contract is up

harrison'samonster
09-30-2013, 05:50 AM
I think we need to pick up a free agent LT in the offseason, I don't think we have time to groom one and we can't take a chance on them stepping up. Hopefully we'll be able to find some money to do it.

BritishSteel
09-30-2013, 06:26 AM
I think we need to pick up a free agent LT in the offseason, I don't think we have time to groom one and we can't take a chance on them stepping up. Hopefully we'll be able to find some money to do it.

If Adams and/or Gilbert don't show significant improvement through the rest of the season, we shouldn't try to replace them with a draft pick, you need to go FA to pick someone up - that might mean trading someone like Woodley to make the cap room to do it, which might mean that we need to take another look at draft priorities on the basis of who we end up sacrificing for cap room to sign Ryan Clady (or similar!).

ebsteelers
09-30-2013, 08:17 AM
Lets waste another pick on an o line and watch them shyt the bed.

Pouncey-fine even though Fernado looks better
Gilbert crap
Decastro-fine
Adams junk

pathetic

cbrunn
09-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Keep Fernando at C and move Pouncey to LG and switch Adams and Gilbert ...

I don't think Gilbert played that bad actually the last couple game

Next yr a line like Gilbert - Pouncey - Fernando - DeCastro - Adams ... Shouldn't be too bad , with Foster backing up the guard and Beechum backing up everything

These guys are young and will get better can't just give up on them ... And Adams coulsnt really work on his craft this off season with being stabbed

SteelersCanada
09-30-2013, 09:52 AM
If we're in a position to draft Bridgewater, it's a no-brainer. I know you think that Roethlisberger has 4 more years, but if we have Bridgewater, Roethlisberger's time in Pittsburgh might be cut shorter than that.

Chinesecheckers
09-30-2013, 09:52 AM
The Steelers shouldn't be drafting purely on what we need. When teams (not just the NFL, but also NBA, NHL, MLB) draft based on team needs, they often lose out on a better player. An extreme case would be Portland in the 84 draft where they had a chance to draft Michael Jordan but opted not to because they already had Clyde Drexler filling their shooting guard position.

The Steelers need to draft the best player available period. If the best player available happens to be a LT, Great! But if it is a WR or QB or RB, then we should be taking that. If there's a tie between best player available and one of them happens to fill a glaring need, then we go with that but at all times we should be drafting the best player available.

You can always try to address needs via free agency or trades (even though trades in the NFL don't happen to often compared to other sports).

Bane
09-30-2013, 07:05 PM
This needs to be the offseason that the Steelers finally begin dipping into the Free Agency pool a little more. I don't want an Albert Haynesworth-esque signing, I just want them to look at the OL talent that will become available next summer.

And a big, strong WR needs to be high on the draft board.

harrison'samonster
09-30-2013, 07:07 PM
This needs to be the offseason that the Steelers finally begin dipping into the Free Agency pool a little more. I don't want an Albert Haynesworth-esque signing, I just want them to look at the OL talent that will become available next summer.

And a big, strong WR needs to be high on the draft board.

a lot will depend on what kind of money we have. I don't want to get into too much about who's going to be staying on the team, but likely Clark and possibly Keisel leaving will free up some money.

PhantomJB93
09-30-2013, 09:18 PM
1. Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans, WR
2. Kyle Fuller, CB
3. (traded to Browns for Shamarko)
4. Any OT

teegre
09-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Oh yeah... the R3 is in Cleveland.

I like Shamarko. A good trade at the time... but, of all years to lose a draft pick!!! That is the 68th pick right now.

But, again, I like Shamarko.

cbrunn
10-01-2013, 05:24 AM
this is what I'm leaning towards ... although I don't really know Olinemen like that maybe somebody could help with a 3rd round prospect

Also I would be calling and trying to trade Emanuel Sanders for anything right now ... preferably I would like a Mike Williams (Tampa Bay) ... that would make receiver not really a need anymore

Rd 1 - Brett Hundley, QB , UCLA
Need to think Life after Ben , perfect for a sit and learn role , has all the tools and only a redshirt sophmore so age isn't a problem

Rd 2 - Allen Robinson, WR , Penn State
Bigger Receiver that can get open , might not be a burner but not slow , and just is a playmaker and gets open

Rd 3 - Morgan Moses , OT , Virginia
Oline depth , can play guard also ... not sure about his LT potential but just some depth with position versatility (not really sure about Olinemen that much though)

Steelstoned1972
10-01-2013, 05:45 AM
Oh yeah... the R3 is in Cleveland.

I like Shamarko. A good trade at the time... but, of all years to lose a draft pick!!! That is the 68th pick right now.

But, again, I like Shamarko.

We should get at least a couple comp. picks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

teegre
10-01-2013, 07:50 AM
We should get at least a couple comp. picks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

True... at pick number 97. This traded pick will be pick number 68.

Of all the years to not have a pick. Picking high in R3... and it's in Cleveland. D'oh!!!

kan_t
10-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Lets waste another pick on an o line and watch them shyt the bed.

Pouncey-fine even though Fernado looks better
Gilbert crap
Decastro-fine
Adams junk

pathetic
Well both first round picks are decent. So it further proves that the Steelers should spend a 1st round pick for that. :chuckle:

Bane
10-01-2013, 12:19 PM
True... at pick number 97. This traded pick will be pick number 68.

Of all the years to not have a pick. Picking high in R3... and it's in Cleveland. D'oh!!!

Shamarko will be worth it, I think. He may wind up supplanting Ryan Clark this year with the way Clark has been playing. It's unfortunate though, as Clark has been one of my favorite players and personalities on this team.

teegre
10-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Shamarko will be worth it, I think. He may wind up supplanting Ryan Clark this year with the way Clark has been playing. It's unfortunate though, as Clark has been one of my favorite players and personalities on this team.

Shamarko is worth it... but is Landry Jones???

Remember, the Steelers could have taken Shamarko a few picks later, with their own R4 pick. Instead, they traded a R3 pick to get an extra R4 pick, so that they could still get Jones with their original pick.

Bane
10-01-2013, 01:20 PM

Remember, the Steelers could have taken Shamarko a few picks later, with their own R4 pick. Instead, they traded a R3 pick to get an extra R4 pick, so that they could still get Jones with their original pick.

I don't think Jones will be, to be honest. Truthfully, I never even realized that. :chuckle:

I think drafting Jones was a mistake to begin with. We all know he won't be the player the Steelers are saying they want him to be, barring a Tom Brady-esque magical coming-of-age. We should trade Sanders while we may be able to get something for him. Even if it's not the 3rd rounder we were gonna get from New England, I'd like some value for whoever we can get now, while the team is on its downward spiral.

Let this be the year that we load up for the next four decades. :tt04:

Steelstoned1972
10-01-2013, 01:27 PM

yeah , that's the head scratcher . Shamarko may be worth it. I'm not sure about Landry .:noidea:

teegre
10-01-2013, 01:29 PM
I don't think Jones will be, to be honest. Truthfully, I never even realized that. :chuckle:

I think drafting Jones was a mistake to begin with. We all know he won't be the player the Steelers are saying they want him to be, barring a Tom Brady-esque magical coming-of-age. We should trade Sanders while we may be able to get something for him. Even if it's not the 3rd rounder we were gonna get from New England, I'd like some value for whoever we can get now, while the team is on its downward spiral.

Let this be the year that we load up for the next four decades. :tt04:

The Jones pick might be one of those "steals" for the Browns. It happens... sort of like trading up for Colclough. LOL... ugh.

As far as Sanders goes, I say the opposite: re-sign him on the cheap (since he's having an off season). Move Wheaton to the #2, and slide Sanders back to the #3. Add in some Mye... and, Voila!!! the WR position so set for at least five seasons.

Steelstoned1972
10-01-2013, 01:33 PM
The Jones pick might be one of those "steals" for the Browns. It happens... sort of like trading up for Colclough. LOL... ugh.

As far as Sanders goes, I say the opposite: re-sign him on the cheap (since he's having an off season). Move Wheaton to the #2, and slide Sanders back to the #3. Add in some Mye... and, Voila!!! the WR position so set for at least five seasons.

Im fine with that scenario.

Question : Does anyone know if we can still get a comp pick for him if we lose Sanders after this year ? I though I read somewhere we can . :noidea:

teegre
10-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Im fine with that scenario.

Question : Does anyone know if we can still get a comp pick for him if we lose Sanders after this year ? I though I read somewhere we can . :noidea:

Yes, they can... for the 2015 draft.

For the 2014 draft, a R3 pick for Wallace & a R5 pick for Lewis.

ebsteelers
10-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Yes, they can... for the 2015 draft.

For the 2014 draft, a R3 pick for Wallace & a R5 pick for Lewis.

is this fact? or assumption? i dont even know how these things are given out

teegre
10-01-2013, 03:23 PM
is this fact? or assumption? i dont even know how these things are given out

Oh sorry... prediction.

They are given out based on the free agent's season after he leaves.... and his "impact" on the team that he left. (Very subjective.)

Wallace is playing well, and Lewis is, too... but he has less "impact."

Ergo, I foresee a R3 and a R5 pick respectively.

ebsteelers
10-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Oh sorry... prediction.

They are given out based on the free agent's season after he leaves.... and his "impact" on the team that he left. (Very subjective.)

Wallace is playing well, and Lewis is, too... but he has less "impact."

Ergo, I foresee a R3 and a R5 pick respectively.

o okay.. surprised you didnt predict them as 2 first rounders.. since your always so positive lol!!!

gotcha .. shyt they might give us an extra undrafted free agent for wallace..

teegre
10-01-2013, 03:37 PM
o okay.. surprised you didnt predict them as 2 first rounders.. since your always so positive lol!!!

gotcha .. shyt they might give us an extra undrafted free agent for wallace..

LOL
I am one positive mutha fucka.

R3 is the highest comp pick awarded... but, for Wallace, I'm not giving out hope for a R1 pick. :wink02:

Dalarin
10-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Let's have some fun with this. It's not often that we can discuss the top 4 picks (and by srason's end, I truly doubt that the Steelers will actually be drafting this high).

Clowney & Bridgewater will be gone, and there are reasons that neither really make sense right now for the Steelers (although I like both).

Sammy Watkins? Jake Matthews? Louis Nix?

I gotta say Matthews.

R1: Matthews, LT, Texas A&M
R2: Purifoy, CB, Florida
R3: Murray, QB, Georgia

*Murray will likely move up, possibly even into R1, because he's really good. But, as of right now, people have him listed as a 3rd rounder... because he's short. BUT, Drew Brees & Russell Wilson have shown that short QBs can indeed achieve.

I say we don't draft any more Gators. Ones injured year in and year out and we all wish the other would bench himself.

teegre
10-03-2013, 07:14 AM
I say we don't draft any more Gators. Ones injured year in and year out and we all wish the other would bench himself.

Florida produces "boom or bust" type of players. You either get Carlos Dunlap & Percey Harvin, or you get Marcus Gilbert & Chris Rainey.

SteelersCanada
10-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Scouts aren't high on Murray, T. There have been a lot of NFL QBs exactly like him come into the league and fail. He hasn't shown he'll be any different.

Purifoy in the second would be an absolute steal, though possible if we have a top 3 pick.

cbrunn
10-04-2013, 05:17 AM
Trading back up into the 2nd half of the 1st round

in the new Walterfootball mock has Ifo Ekpre-Olomu falling to #24 ... maybe could give up 2nd and like a 4th to jump back into the back half of the 1st round and draft somebody like him if he falls

with the option of being able to double up on CB with Roby and Ifo would be great ... or Even 1 of the WR (Watkins, Lee , or Evans , or Taylor Lewnan ... and following that up with Ifo

also remember as you guys already discussed will be receiving probably a 3rd for Wallce and a 4th or 5th for Keenan ... not to mention probably something for Mendenhall maybe only a 6th or 7th but still

Soberdisposition
10-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Pats or Greenbay might be willing to trade, would be an ok area for us to pick up a quality CB or WR after picking up a LT early on.

Right now though I'd take a talent upgrade anywhere so long as they improved us....