PDA

View Full Version : 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Penguins Regular Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2

sluggermatt15
10-02-2013, 08:30 AM
The 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Penguins regular season begins tomorrow night at the New Jersey Devils.

Discuss the season here!

What goals would you like the Penguins to achieve this season? What would you like to see them accomplish?

Personally, I would like to see:

1. The Penguins playoff streak of 6 consecutive years in the postseason continue.
2. Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin or James Neal win the scoring title, most goals scored, and lead the NHL in assists.
3. Marc-Andre Fleury bounce back from a poor playoff performance, and become an elite goaltender (again).

Fire Haley
10-02-2013, 11:47 AM
stop already with the playoff talk

No Letang, no Vokoun

Disco Dan better have them hopping early

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/765/189/dsafsdfdsfsdfadsfsdfs_original.jpg?1363291327

Fire Haley
10-02-2013, 12:12 PM
first game, at home vs. Devils, thurs night

full schedule

http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyseason.htm

Fire Haley
10-02-2013, 12:52 PM
and with Vokoun looking like he's done for the year - the rumors are flying

Josh Yohe ✔ @JoshYohe_Trib

Just spoke with a very reliable source who made it clear that the Penguins are not currently interested in Bryzgalov.

stb_steeler
10-02-2013, 02:26 PM
The 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Penguins regular season begins tomorrow night at the New Jersey Devils.

Discuss the season here!

What goals would you like the Penguins to achieve this season? What would you like to see them accomplish?

Personally, I would like to see:

1. The Penguins playoff streak of 6 consecutive years in the postseason continue.
2. Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin or James Neal win the scoring title, most goals scored, and lead the NHL in assists.
3. Marc-Andre Fleury bounce back from a poor playoff performance, and become an elite goaltender (again).

Tho i would want them to win alot but, hope they peek at the right time this year~

SteelCityMom
10-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Great game by the Pens for the opener, as they shutout the Devils 3-0! Looks like a trip to the sports psychologist has helped Fleury. I know it's way to early to say for sure, but he played a tremendous game and definitely got some confidence back tonight. Hopefully he keeps it up.

The defense, even without Letang, looks really good so far. Loving the addition of Maata, and of course Scuderi. No doubt having Jacques Martin as an Asst. is making a huge impact (better watch out Bylsma!).

Offense kept the pressure on most of the evening, and the team also seems to have found it's gritty edge again. Lots of good hits tonight, and Glass standing tall with Clowe.

Excellent start to the season!

Fire Haley
10-04-2013, 12:37 AM
great game by the defense, Fleury, well, he got a shut out anyway

Sid gets a pretty one - all the new kids held their own

a good win over the debbils, I can't stand to listen to Steigy so I switched to the Devils broadcast, after the first period

stb_steeler
10-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Fleury was flawless :applaudit:

SteelCityMom
10-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Neal injury means shuffling for Malkin line
By Rob Rossi
Published: Friday, Oct. 4, 2013, 1:06 p.m.
Updated 10 hours ago

Right winger James Neal is out indefinitely because of an upper-body injury. A look at what the Penguins will be missing:

The real deal for Evgeni Malkin is he could be skating with a lot of different linemates for a while.

James Neal, the regular right winger on a second line centered by Malkin, is week-to-week with an unspecified upper-body injury, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said Friday.

Neal has not practiced since Sunday. He took only five shifts and played fewer than four minutes in the Penguins' 3-0 season-opening home victory over New Jersey on Thursday.

No opponent — certainly not the Sabres, who visit Consol Energy Center on Saturday night — will feel sorry for such a blow to the Penguins' offense.

Malkin, after all, is one of two former scoring champions (Sidney Crosby) on a roster that also includes wingers Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis — a top-line duo that combined for 133 goals the past three seasons.

Still, Bylsma conceded Friday that his Penguins lack any one player to replace what Neal can bring.

“I don't think a replacement or a guy next to (Malkin) should think about trying to be a James Neal,” Bylsma said. “He scores 40 and does certain things for a reason.”

A big reason — and this is a point Malkin and Neal repeatedly have stressed over the past three years — is an on-ice bond so strong that often one of Bylsma's biggest challenges is finding a left winger for his second line.

Jussi Jokinen had convinced coaches he was the fit for that opening, and the Penguins' lines during practice on Friday suggested he would remain to Malkin's left.

To Malkin's right at practice was Beau Bennett, who as a rookie last season occasionally was the left winger with Malkin and Neal.

Bennett, the Penguins' 2010 first-round pick, has progressed rapidly in the view of coaches, who had viewed him as offensive catalyst on a third line alongside center Brandon Sutter.

Bylsma did not commit to Bennett staying to the right of Malkin's in Neal's absence. He also said the opener against New Jersey likely provided a blueprint for how the Penguins will use Malkin while Neal is out.

After Neal left that game, Malkin skated four shifts as the right winger with Crosby and Kunitz. Malkin also centered a line with Tanner Glass to his left and Craig Adams on the right.

“That will probably continue,” Bylsma said

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4822155-74/neal-bylsma-penguins#ixzz2gs7NvANY
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

sluggermatt15
10-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Fleury was flawless :applaudit:

I was really impressed with his performance on Thursday night. Wow. What a great way to open the season. MAF is capable of turning in that effort every night. A great, confidence building W for the team, too. You never know what the Devils will bring.

stb_steeler
10-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Another solid game against Buffalo lastnight. :tt03:

Fire Haley
10-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Pens defense continues to be amazing, shoulda been another shut out, Fleury is barely having to work - can't believe it's the same team - all the young guys are playing good and we are winning all the board battles. Good coaching move to get a defensive mind in there - even Malkin doesn't look as reckless with the puck

Fire Haley
10-07-2013, 10:28 AM
and then there's this - How bout them Flyers. 0 - 3 and coach already fired.

Laviolette's firing is the earliest to start a season in NHL history

Lokki
10-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Pens defense continues to be amazing, shoulda been another shut out, Fleury is barely having to work - can't believe it's the same team - all the young guys are playing good and we are winning all the board battles. Good coaching move to get a defensive mind in there - even Malkin doesn't look as reckless with the puck

Well, the team was amazing in regular season last year.. until the playoffs began. Then it all crumbled. I know that it is still early, but I hope for Fleury's sake that he has his mental issues straightened out.

SteelCityMom
10-07-2013, 03:27 PM
and then there's this - How bout them Flyers. 0 - 3 and coach already fired.

Laviolette's firing is the earliest to start a season in NHL history

Talk about panic mode! :laughing:

Pens are playing with a serious chip on their shoulder this year so far. Hope they keep that attitude going.

Only thing I can think to complain about is Geno. Stop looking for a penalty after every hit...just get up and play. He's been doing this forever and it annoys the hell out of me.

Fire Haley
10-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Well, the team was amazing in regular season last year.. until the playoffs began. Then it all crumbled. I know that it is still early, but I hope for Fleury's sake that he has his mental issues straightened out.

We'll worry about the playoffs when we get there. I just want to see Sid and Malkin make it through a full 82 games without any major injuries

Lokki
10-07-2013, 09:40 PM
We'll worry about the playoffs when we get there. I just want to see Sid and Malkin make it through a full 82 games without any major injuries

Me too.. The Penguins seem to mirror the Steelers when it comes to the injury bug.

stb_steeler
10-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Pens off to a good start tonight

SteelCityMom
10-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Great game by the Pens tonight as they beat the Canes 5-2. They look more cohesive and solid all around than I've seen in a long time.

Maata (2 assists for his first NHL points) continues to impress. He's a very good player right now, but he's going to be really special in the future. Glass looks like a completely different player this year. So glad we kept him over Kennedy.

Jokinen had a monster game with a hat trick (1st, 3rd, and 5th goals). Other goals were from Martin (2nd) and Glass (4th). Fleury played very well again, making 32 saves on 34 shots.

SteelCityMom
10-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Oh, and funny side note... Carolina is paying half of Jokinen's salary this year. That means they paid him $10,975.60 to score a hat trick against them tonight. :chuckle:

Penguins' Jokinen gets hat trick against former team
Tuesday, 10.08.2013 / 10:00 PM
Wes Crosby - NHL.com Correspondent

PITTSBURGH -- Jussi Jokinen scored a hat trick against his former team to lead the Pittsburgh Penguins to a 5-2 win against the Carolina Hurricanes on Tuesday at Consol Energy Center.

Jokinen took 1:50 to re-establish the Penguins' lead after Nathan Gerbe scored 3:13 into the third period to tie the game 2-2. Jokinen received a pass from Evgeni Malkin near the left faceoff circle and wristed a shot past Cam Ward to give Pittsburgh a 3-2 lead with 14:57 to play.

Tanner Glass backhanded a shot past Ward with 11:32 remaining, and Jokinen scored the Penguins' fifth goal with 6:57 left, resulting in an abundance of hats spiraling from the seats and onto the ice. The Penguins have started the season 3-0-0 for the first time since 1994-95, when they won their first seven games.

Jokinen's first goal was Pittsburgh's first power-play goal of the season.

The Penguins' power play was the one area that struggled during the first two games. That continued early in the first period, when they failed to score on their first power play.

But on their second opportunity of the period, Sidney Crosby charged toward Carolina's net with the puck and Jokinen to his left. Crosby dumped the puck to Jokinen, who kicked it onto his stick before backhanding it past Ward, giving the Penguins a 1-0 lead with 5:43 left.

Jokinen played five seasons for Carolina before he was traded to Pittsburgh last season.

Pittsburgh seemed to have scored a second goal 2:24 later when Crosby slid the puck into the Hurricanes crease from behind the net and Pascal Dupuis whacked the puck past Ward. But the play was reviewed and it was ruled Dupuis kicked the puck into the net.

While the crowd voiced its displeasure with the call, Tanner Glass and Harrison dropped their gloves immediately after the faceoff. Glass sent Harrison to the ice and left down the runway to an ovation.

Pittsburgh maintained its intensity early in the second period and dominated the action on both ends.

Paul Martin collected Brooks Orpik's slap shot off the end boards and backhanded a shot from one knee into Carolina's net to give the Penguins a 2-0 lead 1:04 into the second. It was Martin's first regular-season goal since the Penguins' 2-1 win against the Washington Capitals on March 19.

Carolina didn't record a second-period shot until 9:53 while on a power play. Jordan Staal and Jeff Skinner combined for four shots in the next 14 seconds but failed to score.

Eric Staal cut Pittsburgh's lead to one when he dove to his stomach while deflecting Justin Faulk's slap shot into the upper-left corner of Pittsburgh's net with 6:36 left in the period.

Carolina outshot Pittsburgh 12-11 in the period but couldn't maintain that level of play in the third. The Penguins outshot the Hurricanes 36-34 overall.

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020040&navid=nhl:topheads

Fire Haley
10-08-2013, 10:01 PM
fun game - Olli Maatta gets his first two career points, that boy can shoot, he's fun to watch - and Juicy was all over the ice.

Tanner fucking Glass scores - it's a miracle year!

SteelCityMom
10-09-2013, 12:36 AM
Another 19 year old had a big game tonight. Sick, sick goal. This kid is going to be great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMw4nksG7UQ

Fire Haley
10-09-2013, 08:28 AM
We got Olli for 6 more games till they send him back down to juniors, he played a ton of minutes in the 3rd .....or maybe not

Josh YoheVerified account‏@JoshYohe_Trib
Bylsma's comments the highest praise he has given Maatta. Have to think it's no longer a given he goes back to juniors.

We're about to get in a numbers game, we got Letang coming back and Despres waiting in the wings too.

SteelCityMom
10-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Zatkoff will be getting his first NHL start tonight against Florida (back to back games with Fleury starting against TB tomorrow). So good luck to him tonight!

Fire Haley
10-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Jakoff is no Vokoun

Pens la-de-da'd their way to a 6-3 loss

Fire Haley
10-13-2013, 10:22 AM
much better - I like the way the Lightning play - that was a fun game - our boys came to play this time - Sid gets the hat trick and Malkin was all business - good win in a see-saw battle

SteelCityMom
10-13-2013, 11:16 AM
I missed both games (spent the weekend going to haunted houses), but glad to see they at least split the FLA road trip. They don't ever seem to do very well down there...too much wanting to play in the sun. :chuckle:

Disappointed with Zatkoff's first game, but they had to at least see what he could do. Now maybe they'll start looking for a better backup, cause I definitely don't think he's it.

stb_steeler
10-14-2013, 11:07 AM
much better - I like the way the Lightning play - that was a fun game - our boys came to play this time - Sid gets the hat trick and Malkin was all business - good win in a see-saw battle

Malkin still needs to work on turning the puck over

steelax04
10-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Penguins Recall Forward Harry Zolnierczyk
Tuesday, 10.15.2013 / 10:00 AM / News

Pittsburgh Penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled forward Harry Zolnierczyk from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League (AHL), it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The Penguins have also placed forward James Neal on injured reserve.

Zolnierczyk, 26, has played in three games with WBS, helping the team post a 3-0 record by scoring a club-high (tied) three goals. He tallied twice in WBS’ 5-2 season-opening defeat of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on Oct. 5.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound Zolnierczyk was acquired by the Penguins from the Anaheim Ducks during the offseason. He split last season between the Anaheim Ducks and Philadelphia Flyers organizations, notching one assist in seven NHL games with the Flyers.

A native of Toronto, Ontario, Zolnierczyk collected seven points (3G-4A) in 44 career regular-season games with Philadelphia between 2011-13.

Originally signed by the Flyers as an undrafted free agent, Zolnierczyk played four seasons of college hockey at Brown University of the ECAC from 2007-11.

Fire Haley
10-15-2013, 09:41 PM
3-2 Pens over the Oilers in a beautiful skating game to watch - both teams were flying up and down the ice - hardly any whistles. Geno with the big wind up slammer to win it after Sid got a stick in the mouth and bit out a junk of tongue penalty.

Olli Maatta has no business going back to Juniors - he was making big plays on defense....and we need his young legs

Fire Haley
10-18-2013, 05:41 AM
4-1 Flyers suck!

Pens had that game totally in hand and were dominating them in every way till Fleury got acting all Patrick Roy on us and took a penalty playing the puck.

Stay in your fucking net you knucklehead!

that gave them some life they didn't deserve - although he did make some great saves, so I'll forgive him this time

Juicy is on fire - Neal who?

SteelCityMom
10-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Mmmmm....the sweet taste of victory against the ROFLyers in Philly.

Maata making a soccer move on the puck was awesome...I thought Errey was going to bust a nut because of it.

And yeah, what Fleury did was stupid, but I think he was just reminding Talbot of what he's been missing since he left by grinding his ass all up against him. It made me lol.

stb_steeler
10-18-2013, 01:32 PM
You can tell Fleury wants to do that alot, lots of times i screem at the the tv for him to get back to the net!

Fire Haley
10-18-2013, 01:38 PM
lots of times i screem at the the tv for him to get back to the net!

I scream at him every time he goes behind the net - he rarely makes the right pass under pressure and usually ends up putting it right on the stick of the opponents no matter where he goes with the puck - stay in your fucking net you knucklehead!

meanwhile...I wonder if this experiment with Engel playing forward has something to do with the pens trying to make room for Maatta, if you consider Engel a forward pens only have 7 def when Letang comes back......well, I can hope

stb_steeler
10-18-2013, 02:06 PM
I believe they will do what they can to keep Maatta

sluggermatt15
10-19-2013, 06:58 AM
Nothing better than a win in Philly. Woot!!!

Wow, did the Flyers look bad. Surprised they look this way with all the talent they have. Goes to show the team needs a coach who knows what he's doing. Looks like Berube is not that type of guy. I think he just weaseled his way into the position. Because he played with the team he looked like a great candidate. But what kind of player was he? A goon. Can't win in the NHL by gooning your way....

Fire Haley
10-19-2013, 03:56 PM
great game against the Canucks - way to go Olli - 1st goal baby!....and a big one too, to send it to O.T...keep him keep him keep him!

Malkin wins it in the shootout - Sid buries another one in front of the net - the Canucks beat us with more stick handling talent up and down the roster, but we beat them with speed to keep even. What a battle.

Fire Arians
10-19-2013, 05:02 PM
letang is the shit

sluggermatt15
10-20-2013, 08:09 AM
I believe they will do what they can to keep Maatta

great game against the Canucks - way to go Olli - 1st goal baby!....and a big one too, to send it to O.T...keep him keep him keep him!

Malkin wins it in the shootout - Sid buries another one in front of the net - the Canucks beat us with more stick handling talent up and down the roster, but we beat them with speed to keep even. What a battle.

You guys are correct. The Penguins will keep Olli Maatta on the roster.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4912358-74/maatta-penguins-nhl#axzz2iDa2pBJM

Smart move, IMO. Why send down a guy who is playing really well? That wouldn't make sense. He's been on fire lately and developing great team chemistry with the rest of the team. I think Shero is the type of GM who is not going to interfere with aspects that are producing positive results.

stb_steeler
10-20-2013, 08:34 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/10/19/4856764/penguins-plan-to-keeping-olli-maatta-on-nhl-roster

Fire Haley
10-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Aves / Pens tonight on the NBC sports channel

SteelCityMom
10-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Pens lose 1-0 in one of the most boring games ever. It wasn't for lack of trying though, Giguere was just a brick wall and their defense is top notch. Both teams played very well...Avs just a bit better.

Fire Haley
10-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Pens were no match for Jean-Sebastien Giguere.

Fleury only faced about a dozen shots the whole game but 1 goal was enough for them.

First 13 minutes of the game they had no shots and the other periods were about the same - and Pens just getting stonewalled on every scoring chance.

7 Pens PP's and nothing there either.

Giguere just cuckolded them....goose-eggs

SteelCityMom
10-21-2013, 11:33 PM
And to make tonight even worse (and I even like the Sharks), the Sharks win in a 1-0 SO against the RedWings. Talk about a snoozer of an evening.

Lokki
10-22-2013, 02:34 PM
I totally forgot about the game last night. I had so much other stuff going on. Sounds like it would've lulled me to sleep though. I hate that we lost it though.

Fire Haley
10-23-2013, 11:16 PM
don't listen to them - it was a good game, we brought the defense but Pens loaded up on the right side shots with their lefties all night and Malkin was stuffed - it happens

missing out on 7 PP's was the killer in a 1-0 game, Pens had plenty of good chances

it was a bouncing puck night, what can you do?

fix the ice

SteelCityMom
10-24-2013, 09:39 AM
Olli is here to stay!! :applaudit:

Maatta to stay with Penguins for remainder of season
Thursday, 10.24.2013 / 10:16 AM / News
NHL.com

The Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday announced defenseman Olli Maatta would be remaining with the team for the remainder of the season.

Maatta, 19, has a goal and two assists in nine games while averaging 15:03 of ice time per game.

"Based on his play, we believe this is the best decision for Olli and the Penguins," Pittsburgh general manager Ray Shero said.

Taken by the Penguins with the 22nd pick of the 2012 NHL Draft, Pittsburgh had to decide prior to Maatta playing his 10th game -- which will be Friday against the New York Islanders -- whether to keep him in the NHL or return him to his junior team, the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League and delay by one season the start of his three-year, entry-level contract. Due to his age and the fact that he was drafted from a Canadian Hockey League team, Maatta is ineligible to play in the American Hockey League.

Maatta still can be returned to London after he plays his 10th game, but the Penguins would not be able to recall him and it still would count as one season off his contract.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=688262&navid=nhl:topheads

SteelCityMom
10-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Pens vs. Islanders tonight, and Letang will be back tonight.

LETANG RETURNS
Defenseman Kris Letang will make his season debut tonight when the Pens take on the New York Islanders. He has missed the opening nine games of the regular season with a lower-body injury.

“I’m excited,” Letang said. “With the team’s success I’ve been watching every game from the press box. I’m excited to be a part of the team on the ice and help them to win.”

Letang typically logs around 25-plus minutes per game. Letang feels that his conditioning is well enough that he could see his usual workload.

“My legs and conditioning have never been an issue,” he said. “It’s something I work on even when I’m injured. I’m not going to worry about that. That’s the reason I like to work really hard off the ice and making sure my conditioning is as high as it was before.

“We’ll go with the flow and see how it goes. The first shift will be the first step.”

Head coach Dan Bylsma said the team will monitor Letang’s minutes.

The Penguins are also dressing blueliner Deryk Engelland as a forward on the fourth line. If Letang needs a breather then Engelland could always step back into a defensive position. However, the plan for the game is to keep Engelland at forward.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=688251&cmpid=pit-fb-penguins#letang

stb_steeler
10-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Letang shit the bed :doh:

sluggermatt15
10-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Letang shit the bed :doh:

Penguins gave away that game last night. That was surprising, really. Zatkoff played better than in his debut, but still not great, IMO. As a fan I am not confident in his ability to back up Fleury, from what I've seen so far. Can understand the need for Bylsma to save Fleury, though. I don't believe the goalie is the viable culprit. The defense - as you pointed out Letang - need to make smarter hockey decisions. I think in a few plays last evening, Letang tried to do too much, which led to breaks for NY. We can hope it will only take him a few games to get back into his groove.

stb_steeler
10-26-2013, 08:26 AM
How many seasons in a row was Letang out hurt....The decision shouldnt be that hard to trade his over paid ass....

sluggermatt15
10-27-2013, 03:51 PM
How many seasons in a row was Letang out hurt....The decision shouldnt be that hard to trade his over paid ass....

Not sure I agree. But I do believe he is NOT worth $7.5 M per season. If he stays healthy and contributes in the playoffs I can see it. But not missing a lot of games every year.

Fire Haley
10-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Pens back to winning ways - Sid took over the ice in Carolina, was in on all 3 goals

Megna was the best rookie on the ice and got his first goal! -a cheapie, but who cares

Olli pushed Jordan Staal around all night

Megna helps Pens skate past Hurricanes

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2013/10/28/102813-NHL-Pittsburgh-Penguins-Jayson-Megna-TV-Pi_20131028222233417_660_320.JPG

Raleigh, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Jayson Megna was in the way and ended up with his first NHL goal.

He got his first assist, too.

Megna, playing his second game, was credited with a goal after Sidney Crosby's shot went in off his skate and the Pittsburgh Penguins snapped their longest losing streak in almost two years Monday with a 3-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/10/28/megna-helps-pens-skate-past-hurricanes/

stb_steeler
10-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Pens back to winning ways - Sid took over the ice in Carolina, was in on all 3 goals

Megna was the best rookie on the ice and got his first goal! -a cheapie, but who cares

Olli pushed Jordan Staal around all night

Megna helps Pens skate past Hurricanes

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2013/10/28/102813-NHL-Pittsburgh-Penguins-Jayson-Megna-TV-Pi_20131028222233417_660_320.JPG

Raleigh, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Jayson Megna was in the way and ended up with his first NHL goal.

He got his first assist, too.

Megna, playing his second game, was credited with a goal after Sidney Crosby's shot went in off his skate and the Pittsburgh Penguins snapped their longest losing streak in almost two years Monday with a 3-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/10/28/megna-helps-pens-skate-past-hurricanes/

Great for the win, I'll be more impressed if we beat Boston Wednesday

Fire Haley
10-29-2013, 09:06 AM
I don't need to be impressed, there's 6 more months of the season left - I'm just enjoying watching all the young guys play well on the ice right now

and Fleury is looking good - he make a bunch of good saves right in front of the net

Fire Haley
10-29-2013, 11:06 PM
fuck a duck

Scuderi's ankle broken and will require surgery....

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/10/28/pens-scuderi-has-broken-ankle-needs-surgery/

Chuck Kobasew for 3-4 weeks

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/10/29/penguins-injured-list-grows-as-lower-body-issue-sidelines-f-chuck-kobasew-for-3/

Fire Haley
10-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Great for the win, I'll be more impressed if we beat Boston Wednesday

how do you like them now?

a close intense game but I never thought for a minute they would lose it - that was the playoff game they needed to play!

great defense, Fleury making some great saves and the offense not running around like chickens with their heads cut off - just steady pressure

and Olli and Bort are playing like 10 year vets - a good sign

SteelCityMom
10-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Great game last night! Wished they could have played like that in the postseason against the Bruins, but nice to see them get out of the special teams funk they've been in the past few games. Pens beat the Bruins 3-2 with goals from Kunitz, Sutter, and Jokinen.

And Letang owes Dupuis a couple new teeth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xhcau1shoc

stb_steeler
10-31-2013, 03:00 PM
how do you like them now?

a close intense game but I never thought for a minute they would lose it - that was the playoff game they needed to play!

great defense, Fleury making some great saves and the offense not running around like chickens with their heads cut off - just steady pressure

and Olli and Bort are playing like 10 year vets - a good sign

It was a good fast paced game by both teams...Got a little scary towards the end for a bit.
This is the way they need to play when they get to the end.

sluggermatt15
11-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Great win for the Pens against a quality opponent! It was nice to see them beat Boston.

On a side note, not a fan of the media trying to make the Penguins and Bruins a "rivalry." IMO there is not a rivalry between the two teams. Ask fans from each team. I doubt they would say there is.

Fire Haley
11-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Got a little scary towards the end for a bit..

fucking Iginla - I was watching him the whole game - he fanned on a couple shots in front of the goal just like he did with us - I know he scored their scary goal, but fuck him

now I hate the bitch

stb_steeler
11-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Trator ass :wink02:

SteelCityMom
11-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Meh, I had no ill will towards Iginla, and still don't. Same way with Talbot (who has been traded to the Avs BTW).

Decent game tonight, Pens beat the Bluejackets 4-2. Megna scored a goal (his first I believe). Play the Jackets again tonight in Columbus (where the crowd should be more intense).

Fire Haley
11-02-2013, 08:01 AM
:Pens took care of the cheap suits easily, Fleury looking as solid as I've seen him in net in years

Malkin is snakebit - he needs to score some goals

SteelCityMom
11-02-2013, 10:06 AM
The ROFLyers are regressing back to their dirty ways. Emery cements his douchebag status in a goalie fight, and the Philthy media praises him for going all Hextall with the third star of the night (in a 7-0 loss to the Caps). What a joke.

Nice line brawl though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vutz6vYmugg

SteelersCanada
11-02-2013, 11:21 AM
http://cdn.mse.psddev.com/38/66/20fe6e404776a4b9514ee42661a6/click-here-for-fridays-altercation-involving-ray-emery-and-braden-holtby-on-the-capitals-radio-network.mp3

This sums it up pretty neatly.

Fucking Philly. Stay classy.

stb_steeler
11-02-2013, 04:08 PM
The ROFLyers are regressing back to their dirty ways. Emery cements his douchebag status in a goalie fight, and the Philthy media praises him for going all Hextall with the third star of the night (in a 7-0 loss to the Caps). What a joke.

Nice line brawl though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vutz6vYmugg

I love how at the end the announcer defends Filthadelphia saying this is what the Flyers are looking for....I cant stand any philly team, be it Hockey, Football,Ect.
The whole city should be thrown out of sports!

SteelCityMom
11-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Pens played a very solid game last night in their 3-0 victory over the Bluejackets. Zackoff gets his first NHL win, and first NHL shutout. He made some decent saves, but the defense was just spectacular in front of him. Only 19 shots on goal. I don't even remember how many blocked shots they got. They really played well for him though.

Engellend gets his second goal as a 4th line winger. Really liking him at that spot. It's good to know he can be versatile.

And you're right Killer, Malkin is completely snake bitten right now. I felt so bad that he couldn't even get the empty netter last night. I thought for sure Jokinen would pass it back to him for a tip in or something. But no go lol.

sluggermatt15
11-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Pens played a very solid game last night in their 3-0 victory over the Bluejackets. Zackoff gets his first NHL win, and first NHL shutout. He made some decent saves, but the defense was just spectacular in front of him. Only 19 shots on goal. I don't even remember how many blocked shots they got. They really played well for him though.

Engellend gets his second goal as a 4th line winger. Really liking him at that spot. It's good to know he can be versatile.

And you're right Killer, Malkin is completely snake bitten right now. I felt so bad that he couldn't even get the empty netter last night. I thought for sure Jokinen would pass it back to him for a tip in or something. But no go lol.

Loved the fact Pittsburgh recorded a shutout. Zatkoff did play well, I agree. He's progressed over his 3 starts this year. Looks promising as a backup to Fleury, for the time being. I was going to say it is important for a strong team like Pittsburgh to have a reliable backup goalie. Hopefully Zatkoff can fill that role while Vokoun is on IR. The Penguins will need it!

Fire Haley
11-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Pens cruised past the cheap suits - I wouldn't get too excited about our back-up goalie just yet, the defense kept him from facing any shots at all for long stretches of the game.

SteelCityMom
11-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Pens playing the Rangers right now.

Rags go up 1-0 after the Pens nearly got the first goal a few minutes earlier (plus at least 4 other really good chances). Freaking Lundqvist. :mad:

SteelCityMom
11-06-2013, 07:13 PM
SONOFA...

2-0 Rags on a goal from Stefan.

Go to the locker room and calm down. Keep doing what you were doing for the first 15 minutes of the 1st.

SteelCityMom
11-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Fleury having a baaaaad night. 4-1 right now. Could still turn it around in the 3rd I suppose, but not likely. Stupid Rags.

Lokki
11-07-2013, 05:48 AM
Fleury having a baaaaad night. 4-1 right now. Could still turn it around in the 3rd I suppose, but not likely. Stupid Rags.

Sounds like Fleury is in playoff form already. :(

stb_steeler
11-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Sounds like Fleury is in playoff form already. :(

The Defense couldnt help it, they let him hang out to dry again!
Turn overs by Letang/Malkin Ect....Shit needs to change.....

sluggermatt15
11-09-2013, 07:20 AM
I think Pittsburgh was bound not to show up sooner or later. Looks like Wednesday night was that time. Rangers jumped on them early and often. Great way to keep a team on their heels. But I believe the important part is Pittsburgh puts on a stronger effort tonight. St. Louis is no slouch. I'd love it for the Penguins to rebound.

stb_steeler
11-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Frustration setting in :doh:

sluggermatt15
11-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Frustration setting in :doh:

Yeah, it's not looking good out on the ice for the Penguins. Scoring 1 goal is not going to win hockey games. Hard to believe considering the talent this team possesses. Time to get things going, guys!!

steelax04
11-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Keep it up against the Caps so I can hear crying on the radio tomorrow morning on the way into work.

sluggermatt15
11-23-2013, 06:54 AM
Keep it up against the Caps so I can hear crying on the radio tomorrow morning on the way into work.

3 game win streak, woot! What a great game last night against the Islanders. Crosby scores the game-winning goal with about 1 minute left in the 3rd period. Pens got a big win. The way the game transcended with the Islanders coming back to tie the score at 3 looked like it put the team on the ropes. However, Pittsburgh weathered this, and made a play to win!

Let's keep it rolling in Montreal tonight! :tt02:

SteelCityMom
11-23-2013, 08:16 AM
That was an awesome game. The 2nd period was nerve wracking, but it all worked out. The Caps lost to Montreal last night, so that helps the standings.

sluggermatt15
11-23-2013, 10:49 AM
That was an awesome game. The 2nd period was nerve wracking, but it all worked out. The Caps lost to Montreal last night, so that helps the standings.

The Penguins got caught up in the up-and-down the ice trading chances swing in the 2nd. I agree that was nerve-wrecking. It's a risky style of play and the Penguins got burned on the two Islander goals. McDonald's shot was pretty slick. Blew the puck past Zatkoff. Pittsburgh is the type of team that will win by scoring goals, but I don't necessarily believe they need to play up-and-down to be successful. I even think Steigerwald pointed out Bylsma said he wanted the team to avoid it. Pens need to get back to puck possession and cycling. That is where they are at their best.

SteelCityMom
11-23-2013, 07:19 PM
A truly terrible game being played by the Pens right now. But they are (somehow) only down 1-0 at this point, so hopefully they can turn it around.

sluggermatt15
11-23-2013, 08:16 PM
A truly terrible game being played by the Pens right now. But they are (somehow) only down 1-0 at this point, so hopefully they can turn it around.

Now it's 3-0... Carey Price is playing like Terry Sawchuck.... Pens have had more than their fair share of chances and PPs. They are just hitting a wall right now. :banging:

SteelCityMom
11-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Now it's 3-0... Carey Price is playing like Terry Sawchuck.... Pens have had more than their fair share of chances and PPs. They are just hitting a wall right now. :banging:

Ended up being closer than it should have. They truly looked terrible for the most part last night...worst they've looked all year I'd say. They've lost a bunch of games where they played well and probably should have won...this was definitely not one of them.

Next couple of games are going to be brutal if they play like that. Boston up next on Monday and then Toronto on Wed.

Just curious, but are they promoting the Wednesday game as Rivalry night again? If so that would make it the 4th week in a row...just weird.

sluggermatt15
11-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Ended up being closer than it should have. They truly looked terrible for the most part last night...worst they've looked all year I'd say. They've lost a bunch of games where they played well and probably should have won...this was definitely not one of them.

Next couple of games are going to be brutal if they play like that. Boston up next on Monday and then Toronto on Wed.

Just curious, but are they promoting the Wednesday game as Rivalry night again? If so that would make it the 4th week in a row...just weird.

It was a nice comeback. But too little too late. I was in fear when Malkin went down. Relieved to see him finish the game. Haven't heard whether he hurt himself and/or if it will cause him to miss any time. It would be a HUGE loss at an inopportune time if he were to miss upcoming games. As you point out, the next two are tough; both teams will be good measuring sticks for Pittsburgh. We can find out where this team is at competing with the best teams in the East.

Wednesday's game is on Root Sports and TSN (Canada). So it is not carried by NBCSN, thus I don't believe it is a Rivalry Night game. I also did notice the Pens have been featured the past 3 weeks - Capitals, Flyers, and Rangers. Honestly, let other teams play on that stage. I also don't believe Pens/Leafs is a rivalry. Just another series between two teams, IMO.

SteelCityMom
11-25-2013, 09:44 PM
I didn't get to watch the game tonight...but did I hear right, did Crosby score on our own net, only to tie the game with .3 seconds to go? At least they got a point I guess...but damn.

SteelCityMom
11-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Penguins' Martin (fractured tibia) out 4-6 weeks
Wednesday, 11.27.2013 / 11:44 AM
By NHL.com Staff - / 2013-14 At the Rink blog

Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Paul Martin has a fractured tibia and will miss 4-6 weeks.

Martin has two goals and 11 points in 23 games this season. He had one goal and four points in his past four games and routinely plays 24-25 minutes per night.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=23268&navid=nhl:topheads

sluggermatt15
12-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Despite Martin being out, the defense is still holding itself together. Pretty fun to watch, huh? What concerns me is Dupuis left the game last night after the second period. I don't believe there is word on what happened. Also, Malkin was out last night with a "lower body injury." Hope he is all right and returns to the lineup soon.

SteelCityMom
12-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Anyone watching the game tonight? Shawn Thorton's a little pussy. Will definitely be a fine and suspension for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuVq-TZ7AJM

Pens up 2-1 right now. I missed the first goal, but second one was a PP shot by Neal. Dupuis is back tonight, but no Malkin still. Kunitz took a stick to the face, but he's back on the bench already.

SteelersCanada
12-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Anyone watching the game tonight? Shawn Thorton's a little pussy. Will definitely be a fine and suspension for him.

Typical Bruins bullshit. They're the "tough guys" of the NHL, but consistently play like the biggest assholes in the league.

SteelCityMom
12-08-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm so pissed about that game in general. Fleury looked completely lost the last minute and a half. I was expecting to at least get a point out of that game, but no. Pens led most of the game 2-1, but the Bruins win 3-2 after a 6 on 5 goal at about 18:30, and then a Chara shot with :13 left.

Word on Orpik was he was sent to the hospital and was released last night and traveled home with the team. Bylsma thinks it could possibly be a concussion, but nothing conclusive yet. Glad he's ok and hope he doesn't miss too much time.

Neal will also have a disciplinary hearing, which is very warranted. I expect that crap out of someone like Cooke, not Neal.

BOSTON -- Penguins forward Brooks Orpik was released from the hospital and was traveling back to Pittsburgh with the team after leaving Saturday night's game on a stretcher.

Orpik was pulled to the ice and punched twice in the head by the Boston Bruins' Shawn Thornton in a crowd of players and officials during a stoppage in play at 11:06 of the first period of the Bruins' 3-2 win at TD Garden.

Thornton, dressed in a suit and speaking quietly in front of his locker after the game, said he was sorry for what happened.

"It's hard for me to talk about right now. I can't say I'm sorry enough. I'm sure I'll be criticized, but it's true," he said. "I felt awful. It wasn't my intention. I know Brooksie. I've gotten to know him the last seven years here. I skated with him during the lockout. I texted him a couple of times. It's not what I wanted to see or anyone to see."

Thornton was handed a match penalty and has been told he faces a disciplinary hearing.

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma believes Orpik could be concussed.

"I think he was out on the ice for a period of time, so I think that means he's got a concussion, for sure," he said.

This rematch of last season's Eastern Conference finals -- which the Bruins swept in four games -- was a physical game from the opening puck drop. On the first shift of the game, Orpik knocked the Bruins' Loui Eriksson from the game with a major check.

Eriksson had trouble getting to his feet, but made it to the bench before being taken to the locker room. He did not return to the game and the Bruins announced later that he had a concussion, his second in a five-week span.

Chris Kelly was also hurt, suffering an injury on a slash. Neither Eriksson nor Kelly will travel with the team on its upcoming four-game road trip.

After Eriksson left, Thornton attempted to fight Orpik, but the Pittsburgh defenseman did not oblige. Thornton was given two minutes for roughing.

The physical battle continued as the Bruins' Milan Lucic and Pittsburgh's Deryk Engelland dropped the gloves at 7:19 of the first period.

With the game tied 1-1, the Bruins' Brad Marchand was on the ice as the Penguins' James Neal skated by and appeared to intentionally knee Marchand in the head. As Marchand lay on the ice, play was stopped as he was tended to by a trainer.

Thornton then skated toward Orpik, grabbed him and threw him to the ice before he started to punch him.

Orpik's eyes were open but he was clearly out of it as he was tended to by trainers from both teams and a Bruins team doctor. After nearly 10 minutes, Orpik was taken off the ice on a stretcher.

"I feel awful. It wasn't my intention," Thornton said. "I know Brooksy and have gotten to know him over the last seven years. I skated with him in the summer, through the lockout and texted him a couple of times. I feel awful. It's definitely not what I want anyone to see.

"... It's always my job, I guess, to defend my teammates. But I prided myself for a long time to stay within the lines. It's hard for me to talk about right now. I can't say 'I'm sorry' enough."

When asked if he had an opinion on being kneed in the head by Neal, all Marchand said was: "No."

After the game it was announced that Neal will have a discipline hearing.

Incidentally, Bruins coach Claude Julien spoke at length after the team's morning skate in general about teams retaliating after clean hits.

After the game, Julien said he'd let the league look into it.

"As much as I would like to give my opinion, I don't think it's a wise thing to do right now," he said. "You've got to let [the league] take care of it. I think [the Orpik hit on Eriksson] is where it all started, obviously, and it kind of escalated to a point where I don't think anybody's proud of what's happened in this first period -- on both sides -- I would hope.

"It's a real unfortunate situation. The only thing I'm going to say is not let's look one way here. There's a lot of blame to go around and we all have to take responsibility for that."

Bylsma had no problems with the hit on Eriksson.

"I think the hit by Orpik is a good hockey hit," he said. "Eriksson touches the puck, the puck's coming around the wall there, it does take a strange bounce, he does touch the puck, and it's a good hit. Clearly they took exception to it. They put people on the ice to take exception to it, and the events that ensued, you saw Thornton."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10098543/pittsburgh-penguins-brooks-orpik-jumped-boston-bruins-shawn-thornton-leaves-stretcher

Lokki
12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
We have to figure out how to beat the Bruins.. I hate losing to them all of the time. and WTF Fleury?!?

sluggermatt15
12-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Typical Bruins bullshit. They're the "tough guys" of the NHL, but consistently play like the biggest assholes in the league.

Amen. They can hit, but can't take a hit. Orpik's hit was legitimate. He didn't target the head or upperbody. It was just a big check open ice. I hope the NHL lays it down on Thornton. That was completely UNNECESSARY.

SteelCityMom
12-08-2013, 09:14 PM
I just realized that Tony Granato was the coach of the Avs when Bertuzzi broke Moore's neck after punching his head into the ice. He was all kinds of pissed off last night on the bench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFW62Hqz-OY#t=116

SteelCityMom
12-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Neal will have his phone hearing with the league today, so expect about 5 game suspension for him. Honestly, it should be more than that. I love him as a player, but he's got a lot of bad behavior (this will be his 2nd or 3rd suspension, fined once, warned a few times by the league)...you expect that out of someone like Cooke, who is supposed to get under people's skin. Not from one of your top players. He doesn't need to be doing this shit.

SteelCityMom
12-09-2013, 10:16 AM
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=695077&cmpid=pit-fb-penguins

MORNING SKATE INFO
The injuries are piling up for the Pens, but they did have some good news on the injury front. Center Evgeni Malkin was on the ice for the team's morning skate AND participated in line rushes. James Neal did work on an extra unit line.

Here was the Pens workflow...

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Jokinen-Malkin-Megna
Conner-Sutter-Vitale
Adams-Sill-Kobasew
(Zolnierczyk, Neal)

Maatta-Letang
Niskanen-Engelland
Bortuzzo-Despres-Dumoulin

PP1: Malkin, Letang up top. Jokinen, Crosby & Kunitz down low.
PP2: Maatta, Niskanen up top. Sutter, Kobasew & Dupuis down low.

--Sam Kasan

DUMOULIN RECALLED
Orpik has been placed on IR. No surprise there. He's going to need time to get back to health. In the meantime, the Pens are now down three of their top-4 defensemen (Orpik; Rob Scuderi, ankle; Paul Martin, tibia). Due to the rash of injuries on D the team has recalled Brian Dumoulin from WBS.

Dumoulin, 22, has notched six points (1G-5A) in 22 regular-season games with WBS this year. He appeared in one preseason game for Pittsburgh, collecting one assist and finishing plus-1.

stb_steeler
12-09-2013, 02:31 PM
We have to figure out how to beat the Bruins.. I hate losing to them all of the time. and WTF Fleury?!?

its simple...just play their game....They have a way of getting into the Pens heads ans it works!

SteelCityMom
12-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Alright...so Neal is suspended 5 games (he got off light if you ask me).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=695100&navid=nhl:topheads

Geno looks like he's ready to go for tonight

Coach Dan Bylsma told reporters in Pittsburgh that his lineup would be a game-time decision, but Malkin went through the morning skate in his usual second-line center spot, flanked by Jussi Jokinen and Jayson Megna.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=695044&navid=nhl:topheads

Penguins place Orpik on IR, recall Dumoulin

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=23679&navid=nhl:topheads

SteelCityMom
12-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Oh, and another thing. Fleury will be starting...again. CBJ has 4 of their highest paid players out tonight, and they are still going to play Fleury. Nothing against him, even after Boston, but they need to seriously start thinking about a different backup goalie if they don't trust Zatkoff enough. Can't be playing Fleury this much.

SteelCityMom
12-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Jeremy Roenick can suck a fat one. He was on the NHL intermission and they're talking about the Orpik incident, and he's blaming Orpik for not fighting when he was challenged earlier in the game. Even further, the dumbass recalls an incident where he laid a clean hit on someone and the next time they played them, he was challenged to a fight, and decided to fight...and got his jaw broken. Great example. :facepalm:

This is the same dumbass that actually tried to go toe to toe with Probert. Luckily his teammates pulled Probert off of him before he got killed. :chuckle: Not exactly the right person to go to for hockey fighting advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfkHUJul7Uk

Lokki
12-10-2013, 05:33 AM
Oh, and another thing. Fleury will be starting...again. CBJ has 4 of their highest paid players out tonight, and they are still going to play Fleury. Nothing against him, even after Boston, but they need to seriously start thinking about a different backup goalie if they don't trust Zatkoff enough. Can't be playing Fleury this much.

Vokoun can't get well soon enough.. Though his issue is really serious and I understand.

SteelCityMom
12-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Vokoun can't get well soon enough.. Though his issue is really serious and I understand.

Vokoun hasn't even decided if he's coming back yet. He's supposed to be consulting with a doctor about it in a few weeks.

I was reading an article today though that made a couple of good points. One was that Shero may be waiting until after the Olympics (in case anyone is injured). I think that makes a lot of sense. I'm pretty sure Fleury isn't going to be on the Canadian team either, so he'll have some time to rest up then.

I do hope Vokoun can return though.

Lokki
12-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Vokoun hasn't even decided if he's coming back yet. He's supposed to be consulting with a doctor about it in a few weeks.

I was reading an article today though that made a couple of good points. One was that Shero may be waiting until after the Olympics (in case anyone is injured). I think that makes a lot of sense. I'm pretty sure Fleury isn't going to be on the Canadian team either, so he'll have some time to rest up then.

I do hope Vokoun can return though.

If he does end up hanging up his skates, at least he had that great run of games in the playoffs last year before having to give it up.

SteelCityMom
12-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Thornton suspended 15 games for Orpik incident
Saturday, 12.14.2013 / 4:00 PM / Department of Player Safety News
NHL.com

NEW YORK -- Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton has been suspended for 15 games, without pay, for punching an unsuspecting opponent, Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik, and causing a serious injury during NHL Game No. 438 in Boston on Saturday, Dec. 7, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 11:06 of the first period. Thornton was assessed a match penalty for violating NHL Rule 46.15.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Thornton will forfeit $84,615.45. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

For a full explanation of the decision, complete with video, please click on the following link: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=510247&lang=en

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=695915&navid=nhl:topheads

SteelCityMom
12-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Pens are playing very well against the Wings right now, and are up 2-1...but since our defense isn't depleted enough already (Letang, Orpik, Martin, Scuderi all out), Engellend just took a match penalty for a hit to the head (it wasn't that bad, his shoulder clipped Abdelkader's chin). 5 minute major though, and the Pens will be down to 5 defensemen for the rest of the game.

SteelCityMom
12-14-2013, 07:06 PM
They'll be rolling with Niskanen, Maata, Despres, Bortuzzo, and Dumoulin (in his first NHL game) with Zatkoff in goal. Yikes!!

Still 2:20 to go on the major penalty.

***They just killed it off. That is huge for this game!

SteelCityMom
12-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Oh geez...Malkin scores his 600th point tonight, and then gets injured. Wings fans cheering and booing. Stay classy Detroit. Looks like he probably broke his ankle. He can't even put any weight on it. Terrible crash into the boards. Last thing the Pens needed was another injury.

Pens up 3-1 right now though. Hopefully they can hold them off.

SteelCityMom
12-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Pens win 4-1. Zatkoff with a 6th straight win. I'm glad he's proving to be a capable backup. Just wish they would play him a little bit more.

No definitive word on Malkin yet. He was walking around after the game with a slight limp...but good to know he was at least walking around on his own. He couldn't put any weight on his left leg after hitting the boards.

Byslma saying he'll be further evaluated tomorrow, so we'll know more then.

SteelCityMom
12-15-2013, 03:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2583398036/pgsmpo0dqy9vngzl4eac_normal.png Rob RossiVerified account ‏@RobRossi_Trib (https://twitter.com/RobRossi_Trib)

EARLY indications on Malkin: minor muscular injury. #pens (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23pens&src=hash) awaiting results of other tests. Club is OFF today.

SteelCityMom
12-15-2013, 03:21 PM
And I know Halloween is long gone, but I just stumbled across this and it's too funny not to share. Bortuzzo just looks ecstatic! :laughing:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ca/89/20/ca89207be3828807ef33c57e7ce3b5b2.jpg

SteelCityMom
12-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Malkin is day to day (lucky) and Letang is back on IR with an upper body injury. Engelland is waiting for his hearing on Wednesday. Scuderi is expected back in 7-9 days, Glass in 3-5.

It's basically going to be the Baby Pens vs. the Leafs tonight lol.

Lineup tonight will look like this...

Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby - Pascal Dupuis

Harry Zolnierczyk - Jussi Jokinen - Jayson Megna

Chris Conner - Brandon Sutter - Joe Vitale

Craig Adams - Zach Sill - Chuck Kobasew

Matt Niskanen - Olli Maatta

Robert Bortuzzo - Brian Dumoulin

Simon Despres - Philip Samuelsson

Marc-Andre Fleury

Jeff Zatkoff

Suspended: James Neal, Deryk Engelland

Injured: Evgeni Malkin (lower body), Kris Letang (upper body), Brooks Orpik (head), Andrew Ebbett (ankle), Beau Bennett (wrist), Tanner Glass (hand), Paul Martin (leg), Rob Scuderi (ankle), Tomas Vokoun (pelvis)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=23967&navid=nhl:topheads

SteelCityMom
12-16-2013, 10:38 PM
The Baby Pens beat the Leafs tonight, 3-1 with goals from Connor, Crosby, and Sutter (EN).

It'll be nice seeing highlights of the Pens beating both the Wings and Leafs on the next episode of 24/7. :chuckle:

stb_steeler
12-17-2013, 09:51 PM
http://penguins.nhl.com/v2/ext/html/holiday2013.html

SteelCityMom
12-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Engelland gets 5 games, which I think is horseshit.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=696614&navid=nhl:topheads

Malkin will be out 2 more games...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=24104&navid=nhl:topheads

Neal will be back from suspension tomorrow night, but the lineups for tonights game will pretty much be the same as against the Leafs. Except Gibbons will be in for the...wait for it...injured Megna.

Pens vs. Rangers tonight on NBCSports at 8pm.

stb_steeler
12-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Young guys did a good job monday night

sluggermatt15
12-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Engelland gets 5 games, which I think is horseshit.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=696614&navid=nhl:topheads

Malkin will be out 2 more games...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=24104&navid=nhl:topheads

Neal will be back from suspension tomorrow night, but the lineups for tonights game will pretty much be the same as against the Leafs. Except Gibbons will be in for the...wait for it...injured Megna.

Pens vs. Rangers tonight on NBCSports at 8pm.

So Malkin is due to return this afternoon versus Calgary?

SteelCityMom
12-21-2013, 08:10 AM
So Malkin is due to return this afternoon versus Calgary?

No, I think the article was stating that he would miss the Wednesday and Thursday games, and then be evaluated again (very poor wording for the article btw, I thought the same as you did).

He's still listed as being day to day on the injury report for the Pen-Flames preview though. And the Trib said he skated on his own on Friday, but didn't practice and won't be in for the Flames game.

Glass and Scuderi are very close and while neither is ruled out for today's game, it's highly doubtful they'll be in just yet.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/5264467-74/orpik-game-practice?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewpenguins+%28Peng uins+Stories%29#axzz2o87bGF8z

sluggermatt15
12-21-2013, 05:24 PM
No, I think the article was stating that he would miss the Wednesday and Thursday games, and then be evaluated again (very poor wording for the article btw, I thought the same as you did).

He's still listed as being day to day on the injury report for the Pen-Flames preview though. And the Trib said he skated on his own on Friday, but didn't practice and won't be in for the Flames game.

Glass and Scuderi are very close and while neither is ruled out for today's game, it's highly doubtful they'll be in just yet.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/5264467-74/orpik-game-practice?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewpenguins+%28Peng uins+Stories%29#axzz2o87bGF8z

Thanks. :tt02: Hopefully the crew will return soon. The paranoiac in me says the youth on the ice will catch up to the Penguins at some point. I hope that is not the case.

Another win today! I liked how the boys were playing through the first period. Then it seemed like they took their foot off the gas, and let Calgary back in the game. Pittsburgh was fortunate not to give the lead away. The Flames had several chances to tie it late.

SteelCityMom
12-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Forgot to mention this on Monday, because was busy with Christmas stuff, but not only did the Pens 7 game win streak get smashed by Ottawa (5-0), but Dupuis was also injured in the game. The injury hurts more than the loss. The loss was bound to happen with all these injuries piling up and no reason the Pens should feel deflated as they've won 12 of their last 14 despite all those injuries.

We just really need to get some guys back. It doesn't look like any of them will be tonight.

Per the Pens/Hurricanes Preview:

Penguins forward Pascal Dupuis (lower body) left Monday's game and his status for Friday is uncertain. Forward Tanner Glass (broken hand) and defensemen Rob Scuderi (broken ankle) and Brooks Orpik (concussion) are practicing and appear close to returning. Center Evgeni Malkin (lower body) has been skating on his own but has not returned to practice. Forwards Jayson Megna (lower body), Andrew Ebbett (broken ankle) and Beau Bennett (hand/wrist surgery), defensemen Kris Letang (upper body) and Paul Martin (fractured tibia), and goalie Tomas Vokoun (blood clot) are on injured reserve.

No Pens Report up yet, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

SteelCityMom
12-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Good news so far from the game day report...

SKATE PONDERINGS
These questions will be answered soon, hopefully, in the locker room, but it looks like Orpik and Glass will be returning to the lineup tonight. Glass skated on the fourth line during rushes at the morning skate. Malkin skated, but didn't work rushes so he's unlikely to play. Orpik worked with Engelland (who returns from his five-game suspension tonight). They're a pair that has played a lot together. The odd D-man out appears to be Dumoulin.

--Sam Kasan
MORNING SKATE INFO
Some interesting developments from the Pens' morning skate. Pascal Dupuis, who left the team's game Monday in Ottawa with a lower-body injury, is not on the ice. We hope to get an update on his status after practice. Some good news was that Evgeni Malkin, who has missed the last five games with a lower-body injury, was on the ice, though he did not skate in a line.

Below is the team's workflow...
Kunitz-Crosby-Vitale
Conner-Jokinen-Neal
Zolnierczyk-Sutter-Kobasew
Glass-Sill-Adams

Orpik-Engelland
Niskanen-Maatta
Bortuzzo-Despres
Scuderi-Dumoulin

PP1: Jokinen, Niskanen on points. Kunitz, Neal, Crosby down low.
PP2: Maatta, Despres on points. Conner, Sutter, Kobasew down low.

--Sam Kasan

SteelCityMom
12-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Well, just as I was getting used to the idea of good news, the Pens released this statement on Dupuis.

Dupuis to Have ACL Surgery
Friday, 12.27.2013 / 1:00 PM / Features
By Sam Kasan

RALEIGH, North Carolina – Penguins winger Pascal Dupuis will undergo ACL surgery for his knee and could miss the rest of the season.

Dupuis, 34, suffered the ACL injury Monday night in Ottawa after Sidney Crosby fell into his knee following a hip check from Senators defenseman Marc Methot.

“Pascal Dupuis will be going for ACL knee surgery in a couple of weeks and is out indefinitely,” Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma said. “The timetable is likely that he’ll be out for the remainder of the season, but we’ll see after the surgery in a couple weeks.”

Joe Vitale assumed Dupuis’ spot on the team’s top line with Crosby and Chris Kunitz at Friday's morning skate.

Dupuis has a rest period before having surgery. The veteran forward's presence will be missed both on and off the ice.

“There’s a lot that he brings,” Bylsma said of Dupuis. “He’s also a big part of that dressing room. That is part of what we’ll miss from Pascal.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=697647&navid=DL|PIT|home

That'll do it for his season. HUGE loss for the Pens.

SteelCityMom
12-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Other updates:

LINEUP UPDATES
Head coach Dan Bylsma had a few updates on his lineup that he shared with the media...

Dupuis will have ACL surgery and may miss the rest of the season
Orpik and Glass are being removed from IR
Letang skated back in Pittsburgh
Fleury will start in net

And for a bit of humor...

ZATKOFF GOES SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
At the end of practice with goalie Zatkoff laying facedown to make a save, the goal was knocked over and landed above him. The Pens took the opportunity for an ambush and pushed the goal against the end boards, trapping Zatkoff. With the help of a rock hammer (and a Selena Gomez poster), he was able to escape and crawl to freedom.

http://3.cdn.nhle.com/penguins/images/upload/2013/12/zatkoffimprisoned1227133.jpg
The warden is coming down hard on Zatkoff

http://2.cdn.nhle.com/penguins/images/upload/2013/12/zatkoffimprisoned1227132.jpg
Another month in the hole

http://2.cdn.nhle.com/penguins/images/upload/2013/12/zatkoffimprisoned1227135.jpg
Zatkoff crawls through a hole in the wall from his cell

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/penguins/images/upload/2013/12/zatkoffimprisoned1227131.jpg
Zatkoff crawls through 500 yards of a sewer pipe

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/penguins/images/upload/2013/12/zatkoffimprisoned1227134.jpg
Zatkoff rejoices his freedom. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=697639&navid=DL|PIT|home

Lady Steel
12-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Saw this on Facebook tonight, and I couldn't help but think of our crazy hockey nut, SteelCityMom! :hug:

It's so darn cute! :laughing:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152234705750809

sluggermatt15
12-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Nice outing (again) last night by Zatkoff. After losing his first two career starts, he's won 7 in a row! That is quite a feat for a rookie. He looks more confident in net, too. That's something I've noticed with each start. Looks like it will be another decision for Shero to make when Vokoun returns from injury.

SteelCityMom
01-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Been busy and haven't been able to pay much attention to the past few games. I know they lost to stoooopid Ottawa, and the Devils. Looked like junk. Maata got benched for a game. He looks better. Got some people back (Orpik and Scuderi), lost some more people (Kobasew, Conner...because Pittsburgh). Beat the pants off the Rags last night. Beat someone else and I can't remember who.

-Got Taylor Pyatt from the Rangers off of waivers. He played decent in his first game.
-Letang and Malkin are both POSSIBLE to play tomorrow against Winnipeg.
-Paul Martin passed his bone scan test and skated for the first time today since breaking his leg.
-Chuck Kobasew is day to day with a lower body injury.
-Conner had his hand surgery. 6-8 weeks for him.
-Fleury leads the league with 23 wins.

Highlights from last nights game if you missed it. It was pretty good...Henrik was having fits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T7fWHApG9I

SteelersCanada
01-04-2014, 04:20 PM
I was reading up and there were some Penguins 'fans' who were angry that Crosby and Neal weren't on Team USA. Did you guys hear anything like that? I mean, c'mon.

SteelCityMom
01-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Had to miss the game again yesterday afternoon, but looked like a good one (well, would have liked a few less goals against the Pens, but a win is a win).

Letang was back on the ice, which I kind of have mixed feeling about. Despres (who got scratched) has been playing spectacularly and Letang has had a lot of flubs this year. Hopefully he's fully healthy now and ready to not be a turnover machine. I honestly wouldn't mind using Letang as trade bait. If there's anything the Pens have, it's some serious depth on defense. Letang is expendable right now IMO. Orpik is getting there too.

Malkin returned yesterday as well, and scored 2 goals and had an assist. Neal also had 2 goals and an assist. Glad they are back on line together!

Highlights of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGUsP2NYy44

SteelCityMom
01-06-2014, 08:29 AM
A good article on how spoiled Pens fans are. It does amaze me the amount of complaining I see in comments and such.

Kovacevic: Anyone excited about Penguins?
By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014, 10:09 p.m.
Updated 10 hours ago

Generally speaking, your favorite hockey team has had a rough day when, after scoring six goals and rallying to win late, the opposing coach can take a wholly justified jab.

“I'm disappointed in how we defended,” Winnipeg coach Claude Noel was huffing Sunday before a bank of reporters at Consol Energy Center. “But they gave us five goals, so it's not like they were putting on a clinic, either.”

Yikes.

Penguins 6, Jets 5.

Hide the women, the children, the stumbling Brooks Orpiks, the bumbling Dustin Byfugliens, the knuckleball/ricochet goals and the last-minute meltdowns. It really was that ugly for both sides.

But you know what?

The Penguins won again.

Know what else?

It's pretty much all they do.

And yet, I'm going to predict right here that, especially after laying an egg like this, the complaints among the fan base — social media, talk shows, the whole deal — will outnumber the compliments by, oh, a 6-5 margin.

Am I right?

Because that's how we roll. Nothing in our town spoils us quite like the local hockey franchise.

These Penguins are 31-12-1, they're comfortably in first place, they've won 16 of 19, and they just matched a team record with a 12th consecutive home win. They've beaten the NHL's best, taken care of business against the worst. Their power play is ranked No. 1 in the NHL, the penalty-killing No. 2. And they've done all this despite a ridiculous run of injuries and suspensions.

And the reaction?

Well, of course they're good. They're always good.

Sidney Crosby's career was feared over not all that long ago, but he's producing his league-best 63 points with a consistency that, unfortunately, actually downplays his brilliance. It's one or two points per game rather than five-point outbursts, and that's more valuable than running it up against weaklings.

Well, of course we have the best player in the world. We've had one guy or another being the best player in the world for, what, 30 straight years now?

Marc-Andre Fleury leads the league, too, with his 25 victories, as well as ranking 10th in goals-against average at 2.23. He's logged the second-most ice time, much of it behind a Wilkes-Barre/Scranton-level defense, and all he's done is win. On Sunday, that came in the form of protecting the late lead with a mind-bending pad save on Andrew Ladd, of which Winnipeg's Evander Kane said, “I don't know if there's another goalie in the league who stops that.”

Well, of course Fleury's playing great now. Just wait till Game 1 against the Flyers.

Dan Bylsma's doing the best coaching of his career, and it's been built at least partly on a newfound openness for strategic adjustments and — gasp — the occasional line matchup. I'm not wild about some of his personnel choices, notably the continued mishandling of young defensemen, but wins are wins.

Well, of course he's winning. There's no Claude Julien on the other bench night after night.

I could do this all day.

No, it's not a perfect team. Yes, Ray Shero has work to do. But whether it's Evgeni Malkin's Mario-like return from injury Sunday or James Neal scoring with or without Malkin, or Chris Kunitz joining Neal as a richly deserving candidate for Team Canada, or summertime afterthought Matt Niskanen's plus-21 rating and winning blast past Al Montoya on Sunday, or Olli Maatta looking as poised as any 19-year-old defenseman in these parts since … um, never, it just seems to me this is a season worth appreciating so much more than it has been.

“Yeah, we've kind of noticed that,” Niskanen was saying after the game. “I understand it, too. I think we've all felt the way the fans are feeling with how stuff went down last summer. We felt there was more to this group, too.”

He was referring, of course, to being swept out of the Eastern Conference final by Boston, a still-festering memory that beyond a doubt is most responsible for all this blah. Even all this time, no goals seem to matter except all those that weren't scored against Tuukka Rask.

“I understand where the fans are coming from,” Niskanen continued. “But I think there might also be a few that are a little bit spoiled and expect us to win every game. That's OK. We have high expectations, too. But it's hard to win in this league. Really is.”

Long pause.

“We're doing that right now. We're winning. And you'd better believe we're enjoying it.”

The guy shoots straight in more ways than one.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/5335612-74/course-win-goals#ixzz2pdli7apx

SteelCityMom
01-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Nobody new coming back or leaving because of injury (as of now) for the Pens. Game night tonight in Vancouver @10pm.

The Penguins begin a three-game trek through Western Canada against the Vancouver Canucks (TV: ROOT SPORTS; Radio: 105.9 the X) at Rogers Arena.
Pittsburgh enters tonight’s game having won 11 of its past 13 games and 16 of its past 19 contests.
The Penguins have won 20 of their last 26 games dating back to Nov. 15. During that stretch, only four teams have defeated Pittsburgh (Boston, 2; New Jersey, 2; Ottawa; Montreal).
Pittsburgh is 7-3 in its last 10 road games.
The Penguins have won three straight games and four of the past six meetings against the Vancouver Canucks.
Three of the last seven games played between these teams have gone to a shootout. The Penguins have been victorious in all three.
Each of the past two games these two teams have played have been 4-3 shootout wins for Pittsburgh –on Oct. 19 of this season at CONSOL Energy Center and Oct. 6, 2011 –Pittsburgh’s most-recent visit to Rogers Arena.
Pittsburgh’s 6-5 defeat of the Winnipeg Jets on Jan. 5 marked the team’s 12th-straight home victory, equaling the franchise record originally established between Feb. 22-March 30, 2013.
During its home winning streak the Penguins are outscoring foes, 49-27.

SteelCityMom
01-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Saw this on Facebook tonight, and I couldn't help but think of our crazy hockey nut, @SteelCityMom (http://forums.steelersfever.com/member.php?u=16666)! :hug:

It's so darn cute! :laughing:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152234705750809

I meant to respond to this forever ago lol. I saw that too, he's absolutely adorkable.

He did this after the game (I can't think of against who, the past 2 weeks are a blur lol) when Neal scored a hat trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNBvoVOIJAI

He's also gotten big commercial contract (they didn't let him use his own voice apparently though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qKCacxTbh0

SteelCityMom
01-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Pens get an exciting comeback win over the Canucks last night...if you missed this game, you missed a good one.

Pens were up 2-0 with goals from Gibbons and Malkin until late in the 2nd when Vancouver scored their first goal. In the 3rd, the Canucks came back with 3 more goals to take the lead at 4-2. With 1:11 left in the game, this happened...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S0sqlqnQlg

Game went into OT with no score and then Pens do what they do in the SO. Win. Pens have not lost a SO since Feb. of '12. Thanks mustache boy! :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNp5kk8SURw

It was pretty cool to see Vancouver fans so excited for Sid's goals. They LOVE him in Western Canada. I've never seen fans cheer when the other guys get the game tying goal and SO win. :laughing: Lotta signs and a lot of love for him all through the crowd...I wonder if they're excited for the Olympics? :chuckle:

It was also very, very satisfying to see Torts face at the end of the SO. He hates the Pens so much.

stb_steeler
01-08-2014, 12:29 PM
I was reading up and there were some Penguins 'fans' who were angry that Crosby and Neal weren't on Team USA. Did you guys hear anything like that? I mean, c'mon.

What person doesnt know they are Canadian? Of coarse they're gonna play in the Olympics for Canada. Players are chosen to represent their Countries anybody knows that!:doh:

SteelCityMom
01-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Pens had a pretty lousy showing in Edmonton last night. 1st period was complete garbage, but at least both teams played like garbage, so no one scored. Pens scored twice in the 2nd (Neal, Crosby) and took a 2-0 lead into the third. Only to blow it. Oilers scored twice to tie the game, then Letang scored to take the lead back...only to have Belov tie it up again with about 2 minutes left to go. Sutter took a stupid penalty with about a half a minute left, and the Oilers got the quick overtime goal with a 4 on 3.

They were lucky to get out of there with a point.

Not stressing too much, they're going to have bad games, and the Oilers really got up for that game and played well (for the most part). Hopefully they do better in Calgary tonight. Last game of the Western road trip for them. It will be another 10pm ET game. Fleury will be in goal tonight.

SteelCityMom
01-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Pens beat the Flames 2-1 last night with goals from Kunitz and Niskanen. Even though there were only 29 shots against Fleury, he had to make some pretty impressive saves last night to keep the Pens on top.

A kind of disturbing trend of letting good leads slip away from them has emerged since getting Orpik, Scuds, and Letang back. Ever since the Jets game, they've just been letting teams hang around way too much. Hopefully these guys can get back on the same page, because they are much better than this.

Vitale was injured late against the Oilers on Friday, and didn't play last night. Gibbons was injured early in the game last night and didn't return. No update on their conditions yet.

Bortuzzo will most definitely have a hearing for a questionable hit that earned him a 5 minute major and a match penalty. What do you think? I'm on the fence about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg95HkUJ4IM

And lastly, fans who tuned into the Root Sports post game last night got an extra treat when they caught a glimpse of a nekkid Sutter. :laughing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmHnB-aM-oA

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1557595_10203027787446124_64331589_n.jpg

stb_steeler
01-14-2014, 01:03 PM
They need to get the penalty's under control. Making stupid decisions and not scoring on PP's.

SteelCityMom
01-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Some updates, in the form of a post from my favorite Pens fan page - Angry NHL Fans Pittsburgh. Give them a like, they're hilarious and fun to follow during games. They also regularly post pens points codes for people who don't have Root Sports.

*sigh* Injury news...
Joe Vitale is on IR. Just to make room for this next item..
When John Hynes wasn't looking, Bylsma snatched Nick Drazenovic from WBS. (yoink!)
I'm thinking it was a middle of the night abduction involving a van and shady characters. No hockey player is gonna come here willingly.
On a related note, happy birthday to Nick Drazenovic!
James Neal is missing his 2nd practice in a row. Because OF FUCKING COURSE HE IS.
During practice today, Despres had a turn at forward. I'm not going to be happy until I see Fleury on the top line.

-------------

More news of the breaking variety!
James Neal is day to day with an upper body injury, but hadn't been ruled out for tomorrow.
The Pens have been told that Robert Bortuzzo will not receive any supplemental discipline from the league for the Giordano hit.

https://www.facebook.com/AngryNHLFans.Penguins

SteelCityMom
01-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Finally, some hockey tonight!!!

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/8196_588671814540642_1424341004_n.jpg

*Tonight's Rivalry Night game at the Consol against the Washington Capitals will air on NBC Sports and the puck drops at 8:00ish.
*Marc-Andre Fleury will get the start in nets for the Pens. Caps haven't named their starting goalie, but Grubauer played last night in their loss to the Sharks, so Holtby might get the nod tonight.
*James Neal practiced with the Pens after skipping 2 days, and seems to really want to play tonight. He says he feels good, but the decision belongs to the coaches.
*Pens recalled Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond-LeLongnamed-Lebabypen from Wilkes Barre LeScranton. He'll wear number Le32 if he plays. (By the way, the media has named him "PL3". Also, Letourneau-Leblond can be rearranged to spell "neutral lube noodle.")
*Not sure how I feel about him joining us…dude has I think 2 points in 40 NHL games with a bozillion penalty minutes.
He did say, however, that he relishes idea of standing up for Crosby & Malkin and would like to deliver his first hit on Ovechkin. So I guess I like him already!
*Engellend stayed as a winger in practice today. Sutter moved up to top line…apparently he has shown what he's made of. I thank you.
*Nick Drazenovic worked on a line centering Glass and Adams. He'll wear #40, for those of you keeping track at home.
*Lines at practice: Kuni-Sid-Sutter; Jussi-Geno-Neal; Glass-Drazenovic-Adams; Pyatt-Sill-Engelland (rotating with Letourneau-Leblond).

SteelCityMom
01-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Holy Fuckballs!!!! What a game! Pens beat the Caps 4-3 with a late goal by Maatta to win the game, with previous goals coming from Letang, Pyatt, and Jokinen. Highlights in a bit.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/q71/1604799_252040934964470_2139526919_n.jpg

steelax04
01-16-2014, 07:52 AM
What a game indeed... Caps are to the Penguins as the Ravens are to the Steelers. You know it's always gonna be a good one when they face off.

SteelCityMom
01-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Despres and forwards Nick Drazenovic and Pierre-Luc Letorneau-LeBlond are being sent back to WBS. Bylsma's reasoning for Despres is that Martin is returning to practice and will possibly see game time next week. He feels that keeping Despres as an 8th defensemen won't get him enough practice time to develop. I guess the coaches were also displeased that he was "pouting" when being scratched, whereas Maata had a completely different reaction after he was scratched for a game (was the first person at practice the next day and was graded as the best defenseman in the next game).

I'd love to see Despres stay on, as I think he'd be a great talent for the future, but there's a good chance he gets traded by March.

Maatta is the player about whom Shero expects to field the most offers in upcoming trade talks, but Despres has become the defenseman he is believed to be most willing to part before the March 5 deadline.

Shero has moved a young defenseman — either a prospect of a player from the roster — at or just before the deadline in four of his seven previous seasons.

Shero is seeking to upgrade the third line, which Bylsma said has lacked an identity, and to possibly replace injured Pascal Dupuis (torn ACL), a top-line right winger likely out for the season.

The Penguins currently are holding their amateur scouting meetings in Las Vegas.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/5411018-74/despres-penguins-defenseman#ixzz2qaXqtsu6

SteelCityMom
01-18-2014, 11:44 AM
A refreshingly full practice this morning at Consol Energy Center. Chuck Kobasew, Paul Martin and Jayson Megna all returned to practice. James Neal, who missed Wednesday's game, was also present.

Lines looked like this:
Kunitz-Crosby-Megna
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Glass-Sutter-Pyatt
Adams-Sill-Kobasew
Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Letang
Maatta-Niskanen
Engelland-Bortuzzo
Fleury, Zatkoff

SteelCityMom
01-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Sidney Crosby Named Captain of the Canadian Olympic Team
Sunday, 01.19.2014 / 11:05 AM / News

Pittsburgh Penguins center Sidney Crosby was named captain of the 2014 Canadian Olympic Team, it was announced this morning by Hockey Canada.

This is the first time in Crosby’s career that he has been named Canada’s team captain during international play.

Crosby was an alternate captain for Canada at the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver when he secured the gold medal for his country by scoring the overtime game-winning goal in a 3-2 gold medal game defeat of the United States.

Crosby also served as Canada’s alternate captain at the 2006 World Championships when he became the youngest player to ever lead that tournament in scoring with 16 points (8G-8A) as an 18 year old.

Next month, Crosby, who leads the NHL scoring race with 68 points, will be suiting up for Team Canada at the Olympics for the second time. He will be joined by his linemate, Chris Kunitz, who will be making his Olympic debut.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=701374&cmpid=pit-fb-penguins

SteelersCanada
01-19-2014, 12:57 PM
Sidney Crosby Named Captain of the Canadian Olympic Team
Sunday, 01.19.2014 / 11:05 AM / News

Pittsburgh Penguins center Sidney Crosby was named captain of the 2014 Canadian Olympic Team, it was announced this morning by Hockey Canada.

This is the first time in Crosby’s career that he has been named Canada’s team captain during international play.

Crosby was an alternate captain for Canada at the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver when he secured the gold medal for his country by scoring the overtime game-winning goal in a 3-2 gold medal game defeat of the United States.

Crosby also served as Canada’s alternate captain at the 2006 World Championships when he became the youngest player to ever lead that tournament in scoring with 16 points (8G-8A) as an 18 year old.

Next month, Crosby, who leads the NHL scoring race with 68 points, will be suiting up for Team Canada at the Olympics for the second time. He will be joined by his linemate, Chris Kunitz, who will be making his Olympic debut.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=701374&cmpid=pit-fb-penguins

He was really the only way to go to avoid unnecessary distractions. Also,

Penguins open door for Sidney Crosby to carry Canadian flag at Olympics if COC wants him

BY STEVE SIMMONS
TORONTO SUN

All Sidney Crosby has to do is ask — or first, be asked.

That’s what it will take to have him carry the Canadian flag in the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

He has to want to do it. The Canadian Olympic Committee has to choose him to do it. The rest will take care of itself.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero told the Toronto Sun by email Saturday that he agreed with the Boston Bruins move to allow captain Zdeno Chara to miss a National Hockey League game so the captain could carry the Slovakian flag in the opening ceremony on Feb. 7.

But what about his captain?

“Hard to turn down that opportunity,” Shero wrote. “Agreed with Boston on letting (Chara) go.”

Crosby would be an ideal choice to carry the flag, which will likely be decided among bobsledder Kaillie Humphries, hockey’s Hayley Wickenheiser, skier Erik Guay and speed skaters, Christine Nesbitt and Charles Hamelin. That didn’t seem in any way possible until the Chara move was agreed to by the Bruins.

Now that the way has been cleared it is up to the COC to make the call: The flag bearer will be announced Thursday. Is there time to make it Crosby? And does he want to do it?

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/18/sidney-crosby-given-green-light-by-penguins-to-carry-canadian-flag-at-olympic-if-coc-wants-him

SteelCityMom
01-19-2014, 01:06 PM
It's their last game before the break, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If it was offered to him, I think he should accept it. Never know if you're going to have an opportunity like that again. They should be able to handle the Rangers without him.

SteelCityMom
01-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Well, Pens had a pretty rough time after their 4 day break. Despite getting both Neal and Martin back (aside from Bennett, we have a complete roster now), they fell flat against the Panthers...losing 5-1. Not much to say about it, it was just a terrible game.

On a more positive note, Tomas Vokoun has been off of blood thinners for a week, and will leave his cozy Florida home to start skating in Pittsburgh tomorrow! Bylsma states that once his blood levels are normal, he can start taking shots.

And not Pens news, but funny nonetheless (because I hate Torts and relish in his angry face), the incidents between the Flames and Canucks the other night led to Hartley (Flames coach) being fined $25k, and Torts being suspended from the team for 15 days (6 games) without pay.

Here's what happened at the beginning of the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlel1VPZ4zA

Here's what Torts got suspended for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCeuJPhrt8E

And blast from the past, Clint Malarchuk, getting involved. I wish he'd gotten his hands on Tortorella. For those who may not remember, Malarchuk was the Sabres goalie that had his jugular vein slit open during a game in '89, and was spurting blood onto the ice. Dude cheated death...Tortorella wouldn't have survived him. :chuckle:

IowaSteeler927
01-22-2014, 07:20 AM
Well, Pens had a pretty rough time after their 4 day break. Despite getting both Neal and Martin back (aside from Bennett, we have a complete roster now), they fell flat against the Panthers...losing 5-1. Not much to say about it, it was just a terrible game.

On a more positive note, Tomas Vokoun has been off of blood thinners for a week, and will leave his cozy Florida home to start skating in Pittsburgh tomorrow! Bylsma states that once his blood levels are normal, he can start taking shots.

And not Pens news, but funny nonetheless (because I hate Torts and relish in his angry face), the incidents between the Flames and Canucks the other night led to Hartley (Flames coach) being fined $25k, and Torts being suspended from the team for 15 days (6 games) without pay.

Here's what happened at the beginning of the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlel1VPZ4zA

Here's what Torts got suspended for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCeuJPhrt8E

And blast from the past, Clint Malarchuk, getting involved. I wish he'd gotten his hands on Tortorella. For those who may not remember, Malarchuk was the Sabres goalie that had his jugular vein slit open during a game in '89, and was spurting blood onto the ice. Dude cheated death...Tortorella wouldn't have survived him. :chuckle:

I watched the video of Malarchuk getting an artery severed. That was really, really bad. Enough to give me the chills and I've seen some bad injuries first hand.

SteelCityMom
01-23-2014, 08:43 AM
I watched the video of Malarchuk getting an artery severed. That was really, really bad. Enough to give me the chills and I've seen some bad injuries first hand.

It definitely does give one chills. He's very lucky to be alive. The trainer who got to him first was a former Vietnam field doctor and acted very quickly. Also, the end of the ice he was on made a big difference. If he'd been on the other side of the ice, he may not have made it in time. I'm not sure if his interview(s) on it are up on YT still, but it's some pretty powerful stuff.

SteelCityMom
01-23-2014, 08:47 AM
The Pens had a MUCH better game last night against the Habs, beating them 5-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H_x2S3rKE8

And boooo refs, booo! Let Fleury fight!

As humorous as it was, it's probably a good thing the refs held him back. Budaj is a trained martial artist. :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AioAx-uY9Rc

SteelersCanada
01-31-2014, 03:15 PM
The only team that can compete and take a series to 7 games with the big boys in the West is the Penguins. Here's a (not so bold) prediction: the 'Guins are going to play the Blues for the Cup.

SteelCityMom
02-02-2014, 09:34 AM
The only team that can compete and take a series to 7 games with the big boys in the West is the Penguins. Here's a (not so bold) prediction: the 'Guins are going to play the Blues for the Cup.

We'll see. After last year I'm not getting my hopes up for anything yet.

The West is stacked right now. Kings are slumping, but there's so many teams that would be hard to get past. Their playoffs are going to be fun.

Boston still gives me the heebie jeebies. The Lightning might be tough to get past if Bishop is healthy.

SteelersCanada
02-02-2014, 09:44 AM
We'll see. After last year I'm not getting my hopes up for anything yet.

The West is stacked right now. Kings are slumping, but there's so many teams that would be hard to get past. Their playoffs are going to be fun.

Boston still gives me the heebie jeebies. The Lightning might be tough to get past if Bishop is healthy.

The West is pretty great, you're right. If we're talking top end talent though, the Penguins are really the only team that can go pound for pound with teams in the West. I'm not a Penguins fan, but those first two lines make them competitive. The only thing that might worry you guys would be the constant issues in net. It seems like MAF will be brilliant for one game, then completely poop the bed the next.

SteelCityMom
02-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Gah, I've been slacking!!! :chuckle:

Since the Habs game, Pens have still been rolling for the most part. Wins against the Isles, Sabres (2 times), Kings, and Ottawa. Losses (bad ones) coming from the Coyotes and Stars.

Last nights game was against the Sabres, with a 5-1 Pens win. Goals from Zolnierczyk, Crosby, Malkin, Gibbons, and Neal. (some very pretty goals in there, especially from Crosby and Malkin).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cNTEe-xr6M

Also, if you missed the Ottawa game, Fleury made one of his best (and certainly his most beautiful) save of the year and absolutely robbed Karlsson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ama2IkJFtuo

Fleury also now leads the league in games won again with 31, and has also reached 30 wins faster than any Pens goalie in history.

blackngold8766
02-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Gah, I've been slacking!!! :chuckle:

Since the Habs game, Pens have still been rolling for the most part. Wins against the Isles, Sabres (2 times), Kings, and Ottawa. Losses (bad ones) coming from the Coyotes and Stars.

Last nights game was against the Sabres, with a 5-1 Pens win. Goals from Zolnierczyk, Crosby, Malkin, Gibbons, and Neal. (some very pretty goals in there, especially from Crosby and Malkin).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cNTEe-xr6M

Also, if you missed the Ottawa game, Fleury made one of his best (and certainly his most beautiful) save of the year and absolutely robbed Karlsson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ama2IkJFtuo

Fleury also now leads the league in games won again with 31, and has also reached 30 wins faster than any Pens goalie in history.

Malkin and Crosby's goals last night were sick. MAF looked pretty good last two night.

Like to see them pick up two wingers at the deadline.

SteelCityMom
02-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Malkin and Crosby's goals last night were sick. MAF looked pretty good last two night.

Like to see them pick up two wingers at the deadline.

We'll see. Shero's been pretty adamant that he's not getting any rental players this year. Bennett should be back after the break as well, and will probably go on the 1st line. See how he does there. I know he's played on that line before and done well, but he has been out for a good bit of time.

I think he'll make some trades, but don't think they'll be anything significant.

blackngold8766
02-06-2014, 06:13 PM
We'll see. Shero's been pretty adamant that he's not getting any rental players this year. Bennett should be back after the break as well, and will probably go on the 1st line. See how he does there. I know he's played on that line before and done well, but he has been out for a good bit of time.

I think he'll make some trades, but don't think they'll be anything significant.

I think they have enough depth that they could trade two for one who remains under contract. That player though I think would have to be a top 6 forward. The window gets tighter with every passing year.

SteelCityMom
02-15-2014, 09:52 PM
While they have been following and posting on Olympic hockey, it would seem that Angry NHL Fans - Pittsburgh (on Facebook) has started to go a little stir crazy for Pens hockey. :sofunny:

Fans aren't the only ones looking for stuff to do during the Olympic break.

Being slightly too old for new parts, Pascal Dupuis has his ACL rebuilt using parts from cadaver pigs. No word on how the Flyers felt when they woke up without their parts.

Dan Bylsma has sent to the US for some new coloring books to keep Peter Laviolette busy. Dan remarked that "Some of those 'Spot the Differences' books would be cool, too."

Team USA GM Ray Shero trades 4 chickens, and a promise of using more maple syrup during team breakfasts, to Team Canada in exchange for Sidney Crosby. As Sid leaves the Canadian team's hotel, he remarks to a confused Steve Yzerman, "You know, we don't even HAVE team breakfasts."

There are also confirmed reports that Shero traded a broken, empty Yuengling bottle, some expired catnip, and Peter Laviolette to St. Louis for T.J. Oshie before today's epic shootout was even over.

Filming for a new documentary called "When Good Arteries Go Bad", starring Tómâs Vokoun and Kris Letang, is constantly interrupted by Nashville's Pekka Rinne bursting onto the set and screaming "E. COLI IN THE HIP IS NO PICNIC EITHER!!!!!"

James Neal continues to try and sell a documentary about his hair.

Joe Vitale has taken to hiding in Dan Potash's freezer and throwing snow on him every time he opens it. Dan Potash has taken to looking for a new house.

Phil Bourque has been asked to stop calling Mike Lange's house at all hours, screaming "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?" and then hanging up.

Marc-Andre Fleury has taken up martial arts training, so the next time some official ignores his polite request to let him get in a goalie fight, Flower can just beat the snot out of the official.

Chris Conner and Brian Gibbons went off on a quest to find the "One Ring to Rule Them All", and called it a success after finding some epic onion rings at Applebee's.

Bob Costas' plan to have the most disturbing eyes in Sochi was derailed when NBC replaced him with….Brooks Orpik.

Chuck Kobasew and Taylor Pyatt are hanging out together, amazed that they could possibly feel more useless than they did when there was actual NHL hockey taking place. They invented a game where they do shots every time Doc Emrick says "scamper" or "sashay" during a game broadcast. Reports have them as absolutely PLASTERED after the Canada-Austria telecast yesterday.

Jussi Jokinen keeps getting emails from Tanner Glass with suggestions for punning all of Team Finland. Sample email exchanges:
Glass: "Put some plastic dog poo in Rask's locker and yell, 'Someone Tuukka shit in your locker!!!!'"
Jussi: "I don't get it."
Glass: "A penalty is the Lasse thing you need!"
Jussi: "I don't get it."
Glass: "Kari wasn't Lehtonen any goals!!"
Jussi: "I don't…stop it."
Glass: "Rinne is in a Pekka trouble!"
Jussi: "You know he's not here, right?"
Glass: "I got nothin' for Korpikoski."

12 days until the next Pens game, folks. 12 days…..

https://www.facebook.com/AngryNHLFans.Penguins

Atlanta Dan
02-18-2014, 09:23 AM
This could go in the Sochi forum, but it also fits here

Longform profile of Dan Bylsma by the SI.com hockey writer at Sochi - link below

Uncommonly introspective, Bylsma leads USA hockey into the spotlight

He has co-authored four books, more than some hockey coaches have read.:chuckle:...

But he has seen enough and lived enough and can scribble enough X’s-and-O’s that when he leads the U.S. into the Olympic quarterfinals, there will be no question that he is the adult in the room -- even if he once was the biggest kid.

http://olympics.si.com/olympic-ice-hockey/2014/02/18/usa-ice-hockey-dan-bylsma?eref=sihp

If Team USA wins gold, Bylsma may get more pub than he did for coaching the 2009 Stanley Cup champs

SteelersCanada
02-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Bayz101

Tweets in here bud. :drink:

Fleury has a cool new mask, but our slack moderator won't allow me to show you guys. :chuckle:

Bayz101
02-25-2014, 03:24 PM
HTML should be enabled.

SteelersCanada
02-25-2014, 03:30 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>“<a href="https://twitter.com/PittsburghMag">@PittsburghMag</a>: Marc-Andre Fleury's Steelers-Themed Goalie Mask is the Coolest. <a href="http://t.co/Lzim06B9Vo">http://t.co/Lzim06B9Vo</a> <a href="http://t.co/LWq1bmuZR9">pic.twitter.com/LWq1bmuZR9</a>”
True!</p>&mdash; Brett Keisel (@bkeisel99) <a href="https://twitter.com/bkeisel99/statuses/438387973214986240">February 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Atlanta Dan
02-25-2014, 06:34 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>“<a href="https://twitter.com/PittsburghMag">@PittsburghMag</a>: Marc-Andre Fleury's Steelers-Themed Goalie Mask is the Coolest. <a href="http://t.co/Lzim06B9Vo">http://t.co/Lzim06B9Vo</a> <a href="http://t.co/LWq1bmuZR9">pic.twitter.com/LWq1bmuZR9</a>”
True!</p>&mdash; Brett Keisel (@bkeisel99) <a href="https://twitter.com/bkeisel99/statuses/438387973214986240">February 25, 2014</a></blockquote>

Does Shamarko Thomas know Fleury stole his helmet and painted a Penguins logo on the side:noidea:

SteelCityMom
02-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Now, I'm not upset that Russia didn't medal in hockey, but it is upsetting to know that Geno is so upset. Hopefully he can do something constructive with that anger tomorrow in Montreal. :chuckle:

Penguins star Malkin angry after Russia's flameout at Olympics
By Rob Rossi
Published: Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2014, 9:57 p.m.

Evgeni Malkin tried to leave the Olympics behind a week ago.

Instead of staying for the closing ceremony in Sochi, Russia, Malkin caught a flight to Moscow, where he owns an apartment, the morning after Team Russia was eliminated from the Olympic men's hockey tournament.

He returned to Pittsburgh on Monday and practiced with the Penguins at Consol Energy Center on Tuesday. His demeanor was unmistakable to longtime teammates.

“Angry,” James Neal said of his regular center with the Penguins.

“He hasn't said much,” goalie Marc-Andre Fleury said. “He's just mad, I think.”

For Malkin, an expected professional high point — the Winter Olympics staged in his hockey-mad homeland — provided one of the more bitter experiences.

It lingered Tuesday.

Malkin declined comment, though he planned to speak publicly Wednesday. Teammates and close friends said they doubted Malkin would reveal many of the details that contributed to ruining his Olympics experience.

Dismayed, still, by Russia's flameout at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, Malkin had looked upon the Sochi Games as a shot at redemption and an opportunity to make history by helping his country to its first gold medal.

Instead of playing a pivotal role on a gold medal squad, Malkin felt marginalized by his Olympic coaches, lacking an opportunity to truly spark a medal run. He produced only a goal and two assists, and he didn't score a point in the final four games.

Uncustomary poor offensive production — he is a two-time NHL scoring champion and had scored five goals and 12 points in 11 previous Olympic games — did not sour Malkin in Sochi. Rather, his frustrations stemmed from factors that evoked memories of his near decade-long distrust of Russian hockey authority:

• Malkin, second among NHL players at 1.23 points per game, did not play regularly on the top power-play unit. (I can't be the only one that was scratching their heads on this decision)

• Malkin believed coaches catered to players who were members of his country's Kontinental Hockey League. He sensed a point was being made at the expense of star Russians — specifically, he and Washington's Alex Ovechkin — who have chosen to remain in the NHL.

• Malkin felt the system was geared toward protecting the defense, which consisted mostly of KHL players, instead of playing to what he perceived the squad's strength: skilled forwards.

• Malkin sensed coaches were dismissive of players' feedback. He and Ovechkin, a winger on his line, repeatedly pushed to be split because of their limited experience playing together and their respective preferences to carry the puck. Malkin and Ovechkin felt playing on the same lines made the team an easier matchup for opponents.

Until a few weeks before the Olympics, Malkin thought he was set to play on a line with Toronto's Nikolai Kulemin, a fellow native of Magnitogorsk, Russia. They had played together for their hometown KHL club during the NHL lockout in 2012, with Malkin producing 65 points in 37 games.

(Kulemin produced 38 points in 36 games with Metallurg Magnitogorsk during the lockout. He did not score at the Olympics.)

In late December, Malkin learned he would play on a line with Ovechkin. Neither player favored that decision by Russian coaches, though not because of their on-again/off-again rivalry.

Ovechkin and Malkin, who have combined for three scoring titles and four MVPs since they were the first Russians to go 1-2 in the NHL Entry Draft (2004), privately feared their styles would not mesh fast enough in a short tournament such as the Olympics.

Malkin and Ovechkin also confided to associates' fears that Russia's NHL and KHL Olympians would not always be on the same page. Both players had hoped defenseman Sergei Gonchar, a respected veteran of four previous Olympics with NHL players, would make the squad to help captain Pavel Datsyuk bring players from hockey's two most prominent leagues together.

Gonchar, now playing for Dallas, was not chosen by the Russian Federation — a decision that equally frustrated and confounded Ovechkin and Malkin.

Tired of public relations demands that dated to last summer, Malkin struck Penguins teammates as more resigned than joyous in the final weeks leading up to Sochi. Once at the Games, Malkin was scarcely heard from or seen by Penguins Olympians.

He tried early to soak up his third Olympics, but after the preliminary round Malkin told family and friends that a combination of pressure and dissatisfaction were weighing on him.

Though he played in Russia during the lockout and spends offseasons in Moscow, Malkin's history with his country is complicated when it comes to hockey.

He prefers the smaller rinks of North America and competition provided by the NHL. Also, his messy split with Metallurg prior to joining the Penguins eight years ago left scars that have not completely healed.

Malkin has said he can deeply love his country without being one of its faces of hockey for the Russian Federation.

“He was in a tough spot,” Neal said Tuesday. “He wanted to do so well for the people of his country, be the best he could. He wasn't really given that chance.

“It's a different situation for Geno here in Pittsburgh. For one, he's comfortable.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/5660812-74/malkin-olympics-nhl#ixzz2uTT6Anip

SteelCityMom
02-26-2014, 02:53 PM
As to injury and trade deadline stuff...

Ray Shero is in a bad spot.

The Penguins general manager announced Tuesday that injuries bombarding his team are worse than expected, that the team's salary-cap inflexibility will make swinging a deal before the March 5 trade deadline difficult and that few teams are interested in dealing desired veterans because of the logjam in the standings.

With the Olympics in the rearview mirror for the man who served as Team USA's assistant general manager, augmenting a talented but incomplete Penguins roster appears to be a difficult task.

Shero said he doesn't intend on adding to a defense core that has been decimated by the losses of Kris Letang (stroke) and Paul Martin (broken hand).

“With Paulie and Kris out, it goes back to where we were before,” Shero said. “We'll give these young guys opportunities. We'll see what happens over the next week or so. Hopefully there won't be any more injuries. Adding a defenseman for any team is going to be difficult.”

The injury report provided by Shero and coach Dan Bylsma was grim:

• Right wing Pascal Dupuis' knee injury wasn't just to his ACL but also to his MCL. He was forced to strengthen other portions of his knee before finally having surgery seven weeks following his injury. Dupuis will miss six to eight months, making his availability at the beginning of next season uncertain.

• Right wing Beau Bennett, dealing with a broken wrist, suffered a setback that will keep him out of the lineup for at least three to four more weeks. Bylsma called the setback “more of a bump in the road than a wall,” but Bennett figures to see little game action before the postseason.

• The Penguins remain unsure whether Letang will play again this season.

• Martin will miss at least four weeks with a broken hand and could miss closer to six weeks.

• Neither Bylsma nor Shero confirmed that goalie Tomas Vokoun, out since September with a blood clot, will play this season.

Letang's immediate future should play a role in how aggressive Shero is at the trade deadline. The general manager said he would leave room for Letang to play, should he be medically cleared to return before the playoffs. Shero would have more salary-cap flexibility to make a move if the team moved Letang to the long-term injured reserve list, which would free $3.5 million of prorated salary.

Shero said the team will attempt to make “an educated guess” regarding Letang's status, then act accordingly at the trade deadline.

Unlike last season, when he orchestrated a number of trades, Shero is predicting a quieter trade deadline day.

Only four teams — Calgary, Edmonton, Buffalo and Florida — are more than 10 points out of a playoff spot, which means few players are being sold off.

“We'll have a good idea come March 5,” Shero said. “In terms of attaining a top winger, I think that's a bit far-fetched.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/5660870-74/dupuis-penguins-bennett#ixzz2uTXDeCFf

SteelCityMom
02-28-2014, 07:52 AM
So not the greatest 1st game back for the Pens last night against the Habs. I won't even bother going through the list of goal scorers...it was 5-5 at the end of regulation. Pens lost in the shootout, AGAIN (wtf is up with that?).

Fleury just wasn't having a good night at all, letting in 5 goals on 29 shots.

Can't put the full blame on him though. None of the Pens scored in the SO, and the last goal was a PP goal off of a completely bunk 5min major penalty on Tanner Glass. Pens were up 5-4 at that point, and they're actually lucky they didn't lose the game in regulation on that major penalty.

Anyway, it's done, and they got a point. On to Chicago and the final Stadium Series game at Soldier Field tomorrow night. Should be a great game and a lot of fun. Can't wait!

Atlanta Dan
02-28-2014, 04:14 PM
I was worried an outdoor game in Chicago on March 1st might be impacted by some early spring weather and higher temperatures - not this winter

Game time temp of 20 degrees (6 degrees windchill) and snow showers

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/graph/Chicago+IL+60605:4:US?pagenum=3&nextbeginIndex=24

Should be some good visuals

Vis
03-01-2014, 07:20 PM
lots of snow

SteelCityMom
03-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Yeah, that looked like the first Winter Classic game (between the Pens and Sabres in '07) for a while. Looks like the snow has slowed down some now though.

Maybe the Pens will actually, you know, create some offense now. Hawks were able to do it well enough with the snow and got a goal for their efforts.

SteelCityMom
03-01-2014, 08:58 PM
http://troll.me/images/table-flipping-dude/maaaaaan-f@k-this-sht-thumb.jpg

Pens are down 2-0 now, and another failure of a PP. My faith is zapped right now.

SteelCityMom
03-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Ugh. Just Ugh.

In other news. Yes please! I wasn't sure about what Shero was going to do with anything, but I would love this.

Sounds like Letang is indeed going to go to LTIR though. It's the only way something like this is possible.

Penguins interested in Canucks' Kesler: report

The Pittsburgh Penguins are aggressively pursuing Vancouver Canucks center Ryan Kesler, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported Saturday night.

Rob Rossi, citing multiple sources, reported that a proposed trade would send Kesler to the Penguins in exchange for center Brandon Sutter, two 2014 draft picks (likely a first-round and third-round), and the Canucks' choice of defensemen Simon Despres or Brian Dumoulin.

Rossi said general manager Ray Shero has been pursuing Kesler since January and would like to make a deal before the NHL Trade Deadline at 3 p.m. Wednesday, though the Penguins would try again during the offseason.

Kesler is a solid two-way center who can win faceoffs consistently and has scored as many as 41 goals in a season. He's 29 years old and has two more years remaining on his contract, with a $5 million salary-cap charge. Kesler leads the Canucks this season with 21 goals.

Shero has a history of making moves before the deadline; he's done so in six of seven previous seasons. In 2013, he acquired forwards Jarome Iginla, Brenden Morrow and Jussi Jokinen and defenseman Douglas Murray; Jokinen is the only one still with the team.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=26677&navid=nhl:topheads

casteeler
03-07-2014, 12:23 AM
The only bright spot to this game was Maata. If this team thinks their going anywhere in the playoffs they are soarly mistaken, talk about falling flat on your face:doh:

stb_steeler
03-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Swept by Filthadelphia, dont look good now!

Lokki
03-17-2014, 05:39 AM
Swept by Filthadelphia, dont look good now!

Yeah that game yesterday was ugly. We lost the puck just about every time we crossed the blue line in the first period. Thankfully, we scored a few goals so it wasn't another shut out, but a L is still a L.

SteelCityMom
03-17-2014, 12:25 PM
I've still got some anger issues going on today because of this past weekend. We went to the game yesterday, and it was fun (for the most part...I couldn't swear with all the kids around though lol). So close to getting to OT though, it was heartbreaking.

SteelCityMom
03-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Some good news today...

Nestled in the article about Letang returning to practice today:

Forwards Chris Kunitz (lower body) and James Neal (concussion) also practiced Monday after missing Pittsburgh's weekend losses to the Flyers, but it has not been announced if they will play against the Dallas Stars on Tuesday. Forward Beau Bennett (wrist/hand), who had been limited in recent practices, also was cleared for full practice starting Monday.

The Penguins, who have lost 413 man games to injury, could benefit from some key players getting healthy. Neal said it was a boost just to have some practice.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=709911&navid=nhl:topheads

stb_steeler
03-18-2014, 10:45 PM
You can tell Kunni is back, the line played well tonight...

SteelersCanada
03-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Blues and Penguins knotted at 0 through 2.

Go Blues! :flap:

SteelersCanada
03-23-2014, 03:17 PM
Blues win 1-0.

A lot of people are calling that the Stanley Cup preview.

stb_steeler
03-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Blues win 1-0.

A lot of people are calling that the Stanley Cup preview.

Maybe for the Blues, Pens lookin rough right now!

SteelersCanada
03-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Maybe for the Blues, Pens lookin rough right now!

All teams have their rough patches. The Blues just lost two games to the Blackhawks and Flyers by a combined 8-1.

Blues - Penguins would be a fantastic 7 game series.

blackngold8766
03-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Pens are falling apart. Players meeting after loss last night with finger pointing in the press. Not a good place to be at this point in the season. Leadership really in question

stb_steeler
03-26-2014, 12:46 PM
That would be a good match up :wink02:

stb_steeler
03-31-2014, 02:44 PM
A 4-1 win over the Hawks should get us some motivation

stb_steeler
04-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Pens win the Division :applaudit:

stb_steeler
04-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Letang returns tonight!!!

Lokki
04-10-2014, 07:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/wjO7x5X.jpg?1

Sometimes he is amazing.. others he has me scratching my head...

Lokki
04-10-2014, 08:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fDylD5qV84M

SteelersCanada
04-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Major props to Fleury for rockin' the Steelers helmet today against Philly. Cool as hell.

SteelCityMom
04-13-2014, 10:45 AM
With Columbus winning yesterday, and the Flyers getting a point, the Eastern playoff matchups are locked.

Boston vs. Detroit (I hope Detroit wins, but that's asking a lot lol)

Tampa Bay vs. Montreal (I don't care)

Pittsburgh vs. Columbus (Pens lucked out here, they have a 5-0 record against Columbus and have always played them well...if they lose, expect major firings the next day.)

Rangers vs. Philly (A meteor shower would be nice.)

Just in case anyone lives in the area, or is planning on going there, playoff tickets in Columbus are super cheap. And Pens/Jackets games in Columbus are extremely rowdy and fun in the regular season, I think it might explode for the playoffs.

Tickets will be available for non-Ohio residents on April 15th 9am. These are what they're listing their prices as.

AEP Power Level (Upper Bowl) $60

Lower Bowl & Mezzanine $110

Club Level $120

Time Warner Cable HD Lounge $230

Lexus Glass Seats $240

Lokki
04-13-2014, 02:53 PM
This will be fun.. My brother-in-law is a Blue Jackets fan..

SteelersCanada
04-13-2014, 07:29 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en-gb"><p>Canada's Team! <a href="https://twitter.com/CBC">@CBC</a> carrying every game of Blue Jackets-Penguins series. If they can't have Canadian teams, at least they'll have Crosby.</p>&mdash; Alan Robinson (@arobinson_Trib) <a href="https://twitter.com/arobinson_Trib/statuses/455501794852876288">April 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

Lokki
04-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Malkin was back on the ice this morning! We need a healthy Geno for the playoffs.

CrickRat23
04-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Hopefully the Pens can stay healthy during the playoffs and make a run for the cup. There is ( almost ) nothing better than playoff hockey.

SteelCityMom
04-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Geno might be back tonight, no definite word yet though.

Let's go Pens!!!

Lokki
04-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Playoffs are here!!!!

http://memecrunch.com/image/514bd108afa96f6bcf000029.jpg?w=400

SteelCityMom
04-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Great game so far...all tied up at 3! Let's Go Pens!

Lokki
04-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Pens take game 1.. it was an ugly win, but I will take it. Fleury had me worried early on.

SteelersCanada
04-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Maybe the Blue Jackets' gameplan for next game isn't to give the Penguins back-to-back PP goals. :chuckle:

Without Bobrovski, they're a rough team talent wise. Penguins dominated the third period through and through.

White_Steel_Wolfe
04-17-2014, 03:32 AM
Kinda dead in here

JonM229
04-17-2014, 11:14 AM
http://i.imgur.com/8kCS76L.gif

SteelCityMom
04-17-2014, 02:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/8kCS76L.gif

That's the best thing ever!

My favorite last night was the Blue Jackets page on FB, and their fans talking trash. It was so cute. I think they've been coached by Flyers fans though. :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
04-17-2014, 02:09 PM
But yeah, it was a great game, and obviously glad the Pens got out of it with a win...they've really got to tighten up though. They shouldn't have too much of a problem getting past Columbus, but any one else is going to be a real problem.

Lokki
04-17-2014, 04:21 PM
But yeah, it was a great game, and obviously glad the Pens got out of it with a win...they've really got to tighten up though. They shouldn't have too much of a problem getting past Columbus, but any one else is going to be a real problem.

Yup.. this seems to be a trend the last few years. They dominate during the regular season, then play like crap in the playoffs and choke. Tony Romo better stay away from our games.

SteelCityMom
04-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Well, I was going to try and get to bed a little earlier tonight, and then the Hawks and Blues decided to go into triple OT. Great game though! Picked the Blues to take the series (actually picked them to make it to the finals), so go Blues! (Unless the Pens see them in the finals lol)

Oh, and LOL @ the Flyers. Got dropped 4-1 by the Rangers in their first game. Hope it continues like that!

And question for anyone who checks in here, should I make a thread in the Sports Dimension for the Playoffs? Or is everyone fine with just keeping the discussion here? I thought about it, but didn't know if enough people would even participate in a Stanley Cup thread, judging by how quiet it's been in here.

SteelCityMom
04-17-2014, 11:42 PM
And it's like the Blues heard me lol. Blues take the first game winning 4-3 in 3OT. Now I can sleep haha.

May the Schwartz be with you! :chuckle:

If that's not the punny headline NHL.com uses (they LOVE punny headlines) for the game, someone needs fired!

steelax04
04-18-2014, 08:20 AM
And question for anyone who checks in here, should I make a thread in the Sports Dimension for the Playoffs? Or is everyone fine with just keeping the discussion here? I thought about it, but didn't know if enough people would even participate in a Stanley Cup thread, judging by how quiet it's been in here.

I would just throw a NHL Playoffs thread in the Pens forum... it's not technically the right place, but the hockey peeps probably just go in here anyway.

Lokki
04-18-2014, 08:47 AM
I would just throw a NHL Playoffs thread in the Pens forum... it's not technically the right place, but the hockey peeps probably just go in here anyway.

This. I don't think many of our regulars or lurkers are hockey fans. If they are, they haven't found their way to this area yet anyway. Or maybe they aren't Pens fans....

SteelersCanada
04-18-2014, 09:22 AM
This. I don't think many of our regulars or lurkers are hockey fans. If they are, they haven't found their way to this area yet anyway. Or maybe they aren't Pens fans....

I'm a Pens fan second. Does that count?

That was far too much stress for after midnight. Getting Oshie back is going to help our offense, but it's good to see the young guys step up and take some of the load off our top line. Ryan Miller showed up for the first time in the last 6 games, and if he plays like that throughout the playoffs I'm not concerned about Chicago.

Lokki
04-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Well that sucked. The Pens started off the game on fire and then went flat. Sucks to lose that game in Double OT.

NSMaster56
04-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Fire Bylsma.

Atlanta Dan
04-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Fire Bylsma.

Unless the Pens make it to the finals (good luck with that) Bylsma is gone

Pens are the 1991-2005 Atlanta Braves of the NHL

Lokki
04-19-2014, 10:18 PM
Fire Bylsma.

He needs a better 1000 yard stare.

NSMaster56
04-19-2014, 10:22 PM
Pens are the 1991-2005 Atlanta Braves of the NHL

Sad, but true.

At least they aren't the 2004-present Washington Capitals though! :chuckle:

Gnutella
04-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Well that sucked. The Pens started off the game on fire and then went flat. Sucks to lose that game in Double OT.

You gotta remember; the Penguins are coached by the same guy who coached the second-most talented team in the 2014 Winter Olympics off the medals podium altogether, and had the players openly questioning his gameplan in the aftermath.

The trouble with being a fan is when you know that somebody is holding your team back and preventing them from being all they can be, like Dan Bylsma is with the Penguins. On one hand, if they win, then it just gives everybody a false sense of hope, and the problem remains. On the other hand, people will label you a dick if you'd rather the team blow the short term out its ass in order to finally get the problem removed and the team better positioned (and coached) for the long term.

SteelersCanada
04-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Seabrook got three games for this.

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/brent-seabrook-hit-david-backes.gif?w=1000

Then, Duncan Keith proceeded to say "Wakey Wakey, Backes" to a concussed player. The logical response is disgust, but Blackhawk fans have different ideas:

http://www.trendingt-shirts.com/trendingtshirts/Red-Wakey_Wakey_Backes_T-Shirt/SKU-TT_G800_SS1915/1000647-1007372#Display

They made shirts. Spoilers for language.

I hope we sweep them out of their own fucking building. Pieces of shit.

NSMaster56
04-21-2014, 09:26 PM
You gotta remember; the Penguins are coached by the same guy who coached the second-most talented team in the 2014 Winter Olympics off the medals podium altogether, and had the players openly questioning his gameplan in the aftermath.

The trouble with being a fan is when you know that somebody is holding your team back and preventing them from being all they can be, like Dan Bylsma is with the Penguins. On one hand, if they win, then it just gives everybody a false sense of hope, and the problem remains. On the other hand, people will label you a dick if you'd rather the team blow the short term out its ass in order to finally get the problem removed and the team better positioned (and coached) for the long term.

There's definitely something to what you say.

Overall though, I think it's just time to move on. It's not all Bylsma's fault, but after five years (assuming another pre-Cup Final exit) it's pretty obvious that this team needs a new motivator.

It will be an unfortunate circumstance due to stakes.

Danny boy has a few rounds to get things done though.

Lokki
04-21-2014, 09:58 PM
Seabrook got three games for this.

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/brent-seabrook-hit-david-backes.gif?w=1000

Then, Duncan Keith proceeded to say "Wakey Wakey, Backes" to a concussed player. The logical response is disgust, but Blackhawk fans have different ideas:

http://www.trendingt-shirts.com/trendingtshirts/Red-Wakey_Wakey_Backes_T-Shirt/SKU-TT_G800_SS1915/1000647-1007372#Display

They made shirts. Spoilers for language.

I hope we sweep them out of their own fucking building. Pieces of shit.

Stay Classy, Blackhawks fans. That is just disgusting. If it would've happened to one of their players, they would be raising all kinds of hell.

Lokki
04-21-2014, 10:02 PM
As for the Pens tonight. I missed the game, but I DVR'd it. I had checked the score on my way home and saw that we were down 3-1 in the 3rd. I almost deleted it without watching it. Then I saw on Facebook that we came back to win 4-3. So I watched a fast replay of the game to see the goals. It definitely put me in a better mood. Orpik's goal with less than 1 second left in the 2nd period was great and it seemed to spark the team in the 3rd. They could've easily went flat again after Columbus scored early in the 3rd, but they kept up the pressure. Maata's goal was deflected off of 2 Blue Jackets before it went it. I loved that.

They were lucky to escape with this win though. I'm so sick of them playing flat in the playoffs. Sid, Malkin, Neal, and Kunitz need to wake up. At this point, even if we win this series, we won't make it beyond the second series.

Gnutella
04-22-2014, 12:30 AM
Stay Classy, Blackhawks fans. That is just disgusting. If it would've happened to one of their players, they would be raising all kinds of hell.

Chicago sports fans are just like Pittsburgh sports fans: nice compared to sports fans in New York, Philadelphia, Boston and Los Angeles, but total fucking assholes compared to everybody else. You can also group Detroit, San Francisco and Washington DC in with us. Even Cleveland sports fans are too nice for this group, mainly due to having more humility.

IowaSteeler927
04-22-2014, 03:40 AM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j99/zclary923/10173518_303152249839890_9121916754724086052_n_zps 53744ddc.jpg (http://s78.photobucket.com/user/zclary923/media/10173518_303152249839890_9121916754724086052_n_zps 53744ddc.jpg.html)

Lokki
04-22-2014, 09:50 AM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j99/zclary923/10173518_303152249839890_9121916754724086052_n_zps 53744ddc.jpg (http://s78.photobucket.com/user/zclary923/media/10173518_303152249839890_9121916754724086052_n_zps 53744ddc.jpg.html)

http://cdn.niketalk.com/9/93/935f8a80_tumblr_lgtyk71d9x1qfgy97.gif

Buddha Bus
04-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Doesn't that look just about sum up all Ohio sports fans' feelings for Pittsburgh professional sports teams? :sofunny:

SteelCityMom
04-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Hahaha...Carcillo. :sofunny:

http://i.4cdn.org/sp/1398220962679.gif

Lokki
04-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Hahaha...Carcillo. :sofunny:

http://i.4cdn.org/sp/1398220962679.gif

Philly fans have a case of the mads too...They get the special Will Smith from West Philadelphia, born and raised meme

http://guysgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/why-you-mad-tho1.jpg

Lokki
04-23-2014, 05:41 AM
Tuukka Rask made a great save against the Red Wings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7w4ErcjOmXA

Lokki
04-23-2014, 10:06 AM
I really hope that the Penguins take care of business tonight. I don't want the series going to 2-2. I'd feel much better at 3-1.

Blacksburg Zach
04-23-2014, 06:34 PM
Pens are off to a hot start! 3-0 right now.

SteelersCanada
04-23-2014, 06:34 PM
I went out for fifteen minutes when it was 0-0. Now it's 3-0.

CoLoLumbus.

Blacksburg Zach
04-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Why did Fleury leave the net in that situation!?!?!?!

NSMaster56
04-23-2014, 08:43 PM
What else has to be said at this point?

smh

Chunga's Revenge
04-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Fleury is dumb!

Blacksburg Zach
04-23-2014, 09:02 PM
What the hell did I just watch?

Lokki
04-23-2014, 09:04 PM
They played like crap after the first period, so I can't totally fault Fleury.. but OMG why leave the net with 6 skaters in the zone??????

NSMaster56
04-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Sometimes I think all the misplaced hate for Big Ben/Tomlin is deep seeded, subconscious HATE for MAF and the Pens (and the inability to hate Sid).

It's hard to follow a team with Cup experience and three top-two draft picks (two first overall) who are undoubtedly two of the best players in the league fail so consistently.

We love Sid and Geno. They're so good it's not funny. So we can't properly criticize them, even when they deserve it (less true for Geno).

Just a thought though.

I want to hate the Pens. I just can't.

Chunga's Revenge
04-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Does anyone really believe that we can beat New York anyways? Lundqvist can actually stop pucks and doesn't leave his net with 22 seconds left.

'De De Dee'

Gnutella
04-23-2014, 09:26 PM
The Penguins aren't coached well enough to be Stanley Cup contenders anymore.

Chunga's Revenge
04-23-2014, 09:55 PM
A caller just called in on UPMC Nightly sports call in Pittsburgh and said " they should put a shock collar on Fleury so if he trys to leave the net ZAP!!!"

Lokki
04-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Does anyone really believe that we can beat New York anyways? Lundqvist can actually stop pucks and doesn't leave his net with 22 seconds left.

'De De Dee'

I have my doubts about the Pens against the Rangers, but I'm just so sick of this regular season domination and then we get to the playoffs and they became certified ,drool cloth wearing, window lickers.

IowaSteeler927
04-24-2014, 12:21 AM
That second period was brutal with all of the penalties we were lucky to come out of that with a 1pt lead. Not to mention the fact they outshot us something like 18-6 (correct me if that stats wrong). They're letting Columbus spend too much time in our zone and Columbus is just playing more physical at this point. They're wearing down the Pens who try to come out hot, and end up tiring out when they need to be putting the other team away. Need to clean up the slop, and keep the tempo up at the end of games or we are going to lose this series to a team who couldn't beat us in the regular season.

Chunga's Revenge
04-24-2014, 06:17 AM
Malkin and Crosby best disappearing act ever!

Chunga's Revenge
04-24-2014, 06:19 AM
They should just put wax statues of themselves out on the ice.

NSMaster56
04-24-2014, 10:19 AM
That second period was brutal with all of the penalties we were lucky to come out of that with a 1pt lead. Not to mention the fact they outshot us something like 18-6 (correct me if that stats wrong). They're letting Columbus spend too much time in our zone and Columbus is just playing more physical at this point. They're wearing down the Pens who try to come out hot, and end up tiring out when they need to be putting the other team away. Need to clean up the slop, and keep the tempo up at the end of games or we are going to lose this series to a team who couldn't beat us in the regular season.

A team beating the Pens by being more physical? That's unpossible.

It's beyond insanity at this point.

Lokki
04-24-2014, 12:31 PM
If this series goes to 7 games, we will lose that last game. The Pens need to win the next 2 if they want to advance.

NSMaster56
04-24-2014, 04:41 PM
If this series goes to 7 games, we will lose that last game. The Pens need to win the next 2 if they want to advance.

Just like last year. Minus Vokun.

Not hard to imagine how that might change the ending.

Lokki
04-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Fleury was money after that early goal last night. We poured on the shots, but only managed to get in 2 other than the empty netter. I'm still happy that we got the Win, but they need to make those shots count in Game 6. We are still giving up way too many turnovers.

SteelersCanada
04-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Blues out.

Go Penguins!

SteelerJT
04-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Blues out.

Go Penguins!

Now change your damn signature!

Blacksburg Zach
04-28-2014, 06:33 PM
2 goals for Malkin so far tonight!

Blacksburg Zach
04-28-2014, 07:33 PM
That's a hat trick for Malkin! 4-0 Pens!

Blacksburg Zach
04-28-2014, 08:47 PM
That got far too close for comfort in the third period, but at least the Pens were able to do enough to get the win.