PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers have never had 6 active WRs

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 01:18 PM
...under Cowher. Not sure about the full history.

Will this year be the first? If not, who is the odd man out?

I see it:

Ward, Wilson, Holmes, Reid, Morgan

Washington to the PS.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Nate Washington won't be placed on the practice squad. He will be the third reciever when we kickoff against the Fins on Thursday. I see the Steelers keeping six active WR's.

Ward, Wilson, Washington, Morgan, Holmes and Reid will be the six. I think Morey will be gone.

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 01:24 PM
'bout time Morey is gone. We've never kept 6 active. I have a feeling Washington will be gone.

stlrtruck
09-01-2006, 01:28 PM
I'd rather since Quincy gone than Washington. I think Washington has more of an upswing to him!

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Why would cut one of our better ST players (Morey) to keep a bum who's going to cath 10 balls all season (Washington or Morgan)?

Prosdo
09-01-2006, 01:31 PM
My WR's would be Ward, Wilson, Washington, Holmes, and Reid. Nate is a young guy who knows the system and has done well. I can't see them keeping Quincy over him.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Why would cut one of our better ST players (Morey) to keep a bum who's going to cath 10 balls all season (Washington or Morgan)?

Well since the Steelers have plenty of good special team players. They have Chidi and Kreiwaldt also. Plu Anthony Smith will be a beast on special teams. I think Morey is gone.

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 01:41 PM
The only people who think Morey is worth a damn on special teams are people who listen to the media.

Morey is the biggest waste of a roster spot the Steelers have had in recent memory.

stlrtruck
09-01-2006, 02:04 PM
The only people who think Morey is worth a damn on special teams are people who listen to the media.

Morey is the biggest waste of a roster spot the Steelers have had in recent memory.

You must have forgotten about Fu. I thought he was going to be something special and ended up being useless for us.

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Fu contributed a bit on offense. Morey hasn't contributed anywhere. I could have filled in for him on special teams and done just as well. Hell, Bob Saget could have.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Morey will be gone and I can see us letting Morgan go.

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 02:16 PM

Well now we have Omar Jacobs to take that spot don't we.

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Omar Jacobs tore it up last night. The kid has one of the most accurate arms I have seen in a LONG TIME. He also has a lightning fast release. In the right system with the right QB coach, it'll be a Matt Schuab situation in a couple years.

The kid has potential. He'll be competing for #2 next year.

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 02:31 PM

Maybe in the Arena League. Jacobs sucks. They need to cut him loose right now before he gets into a real game and pulls a Maddox on us.

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 02:35 PM

Maybe in the Arena League. Jacobs sucks. They need to cut him loose right now before he gets into a real game and pulls a Maddox on us.

Did you bother watching last nights game? Not just the stats - did you watch it? He is INSANELY accurate. I don't know if it has to do with his release, but a couple throws (even the incompletion to Reid in the back of the end zone) were throws I thought were IMPOSSIBLE.

Hes infinitely better than Boyd. Hes very adequate for a #3.

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 02:38 PM
He is INSANELY accurate.

To paraphrase a line from Major League II

"Against a bunch of guys who'll be bagging groceries in a couple of weeks."

I don't like Boyd or Jacobs. Jacobs was a watse of a draft pick, and Boyd was a waste of a free agent signing. I would have rather seen them draft Michael Robinson. At least he has some athletic ability.

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Uh...since when does accuracy have anything to do with the level of competition?

I didn't say he was insanely good, I said he was insanely accurate and that he has a quick release. The rest will come with time.

Accuracy and release doesn't change whether you're playing against the Jags defense or the Sucktown Crappies.

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 02:44 PM
This isn't going to go anywhere because you don't understand the quaterback position.

Tell you what, when Jacobs loses us a game because he has no composure under pressure, come back here on this board and remind us how good he is ok.

I'm done now. You have yourself a nice weekend ok.

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 02:54 PM
1. You're clearly young, so I apologize if I offended your youth and immaturity.

2. You didn't watch last nights game. That much is obvious.

3. If we're down to our #3 QB, we ain't gonna be winning games no matter whos back there.

SteelerFanInCA
09-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Nate Washington won't be placed on the practice squad. He will be the third reciever when we kickoff against the Fins on Thursday. I see the Steelers keeping six active WR's.

Ward, Wilson, Washington, Morgan, Holmes and Reid will be the six. I think Morey will be gone.

Agreed. I believe Morey just might be the odd man out this year. The amount of dept at that position is just incredible this year.

Midnightwriter07
09-01-2006, 03:20 PM
I think talent wise we have to keep Morgan and Washington... Morgan can and still is prolly the best return guy we have on kickoffs and Washington will be penciled in as the # 3 until Holmes ( that is a big IF ) takes over the #3. I have to say Morey is the odd man out, at least that is what i hope.

steelcurtain09
09-01-2006, 03:58 PM
lets see for definite u have ward, wilson, holmes, and reid

probly one possibly two out of three will make it

first u have washington who has been non-existent. he has only caught one pass in two years. granted he is playin behind a deep line. but y hasnt he played. u think he would have divided time with morgan and morey when the steelers were in 4 receiver sets however rare they were.

then u have morgan. he averaged 25.3 yards on 23 kick returns though i does look like tht rotation will belong to colclough, holmes, and reid. he has the most experience of the three with six years three of them starting under his belt

finally u have morey. he like washington has only caught one pass in his career. he is getting old, 30 years, and only has five years of experience under his belt.

i think if the steelers only keep five receivers they should keep morgan

i hope the steelers keep six receivers. their sixth should be washington because he still has some years left to be groomed/mature into a good receiver.

but y does this all matter. who ever they keep as a fifth and sixth will barely play, except maybe morgan, and will not impact the team.

steelcurtain09
09-01-2006, 04:00 PM
and i also see tht if they do only keep 5 then washington will go to the practice squad

Midnightwriter07
09-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Washington IS making this team .. no questions at all there ... he is going to start as the number 3 man ... so talk of him not making it should be non existant. It is going to be between Morey and Morgan... that is the only Q about our reciever corps.

I would pick Morgan over Morey... Morgan had really been a very good KO returner and i think that he though he may not be a huge part of the offense nor the KR team unless Holmes and Reid struggle.. but he will be there and he will be on special teams prolly as well.. I think Morgan gives us more as far as depth goes since he can do all 3 and Morey IMO is only good for kickoffs ( in whihc he usually gets a penatly a game ) ... i think Morey has been good and served his purpose... but is time for him to go.

4n2t0
09-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Can the team keep 6 receivers and still accomodate Clark, Carter, Smith and Logan? 5 receivers and let Smith and Logan play special teams? Ward, Wilson, Holmes, Reid, and Washington. Morgan is probably better than Washington at this point but age and pay rate must factor into the Steelers decision. It's a toss up between Nate and Quincy...

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Quincy active for this year. Washington to the PS. Next year bye bye Quincy, Washington active.

OneForTheToe
09-01-2006, 04:54 PM
No chance, IMO, of Nate not being on the 53 man roster. He's been a project of Cowher and company who finally started to pay off last year. He might even be starting next week if Hine's hammy doesn't respond.

Bigsteve332310
09-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Washington IS making this team .. no questions at all there ... he is going to start as the number 3 man ... so talk of him not making it should be non existant. It is going to be between Morey and Morgan... that is the only Q about our reciever corps.
yeah i agree. Washington had a great camp. He is the number 3 reciever right now and there is no way that he will get cut. I think the steelers will take 6 with morey the odd man out. We have plenty of special team players.

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Washington is scared of contact.

Washington can't block.

Watch the games. Watch him. He gets pancaked by DBs.

He's NOT a Steeler WR.

He had a great camp. Big deal? Zamir Cobb had a great camp as well a few years back.

OneForTheToe
09-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Washington is scared of contact.

Washington can't block.

Watch the games. Watch him. He gets pancaked by DBs.

He's NOT a Steeler WR.

He had a great camp. Big deal? Zamir Cobb had a great camp as well a few years back.

Well, I don't agree with that, but you're entitled to that opinion. However, the Steelers' braintrust clearly likes Nate. So, if the question is who will makes the team, then there is little doubt of Nate's position.

19ward86
09-01-2006, 07:34 PM
hope morey leaves he is my least favorite player on the team besides duce.

tony hipchest
09-01-2006, 07:36 PM
im just going offa memory so i could be wrong. in 95 (the steelers previous sb year) they had
c. johnson
y. thigpen
e. mills
graham
a. hastings
and kept kordell as the #4 qb/#6 wr as a rookie

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Never were all 6 active on gameday, however. And wasn't Kordell officially lsited as a QB? I may be wrong.

tony hipchest
09-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Never were all 6 active on gameday, however. And wasn't Kordell officially lsited as a QB? I may be wrong. i cant remember who was active on the 53 man roster for every game dating back 10 years, however, listing someone as the #4 qb or #6 wr is the same difference. its still one of the 53 roster spots. the steelers used some 5 wr sets that year. im not sure if all were active on gameday. (i do know all 5 were coveted by other teams upon leaving the steelers)

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 07:57 PM
All 6 were never active at the same time. We've never kept 6 active WRs.

And if he's officially listed as #4 QB, he's not also officially #6 WR.