PDA

View Full Version : Boom! Seattle fan gets payback for breaking the record.

CSJWilkinson
10-04-2013, 12:20 PM
When the Seahawks played the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday Night Football, some of their fans attempted to break the Guinness World Record for the loudest stadium ever recorded.

The group, called Volume 12, managed to break the previous record set in Turkey but do you guys have any idea of just how loud the fans were? Well, I've written an article with inbedded Youtube videos that should help you to get an idea. You can read it here,
http://www.infobarrel.com/The_Worlds_Loudest_Fans_with_Fists

Those guys really managed to change the game with their wall of sound, but do you guys think that crowds can influence a game enough to be responsible for the outcome?

Please vote, I'm curious to know what you think.

NJarhead
10-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Yes, I watched several teams (including the NY Giants) go in there and continually go backwards on offense due to false starts.

It's a stretch to say they "win games" but if the competition is close and the visitor is succumbing to the crowd noise, then I would definitely say it was a contribution.

It's a part of home field advantage.

NSMaster56
10-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I've been to the CLink for both Hawks and Sounders games.

It can and does influence games.

And it's fantastic.

CSJWilkinson
10-04-2013, 01:08 PM
I really wish that I could experience it. What a rush.

NJarhead
10-04-2013, 01:20 PM
There appears to be a few (whining ass) 49ers fans who would vote yes in the poll as well:

Was anyone else appalled by the unsportsmanlike conduct of the Seattle Seahawks and their fans, juiced on noise, which surely creates as big an advantage over an opponent as any performance enhancing drug and which, to their shame, NFL officials turn the same blind eye they have to concussions and drugs (“Seattle states case loudly, clearly in rout,” Sports, Sept. 16)?

It would be simple to fix. Seahawks players and managers would ask their fans to cease and desist, and the NFL would implement a new rule: The visiting team may stop the game when fan noise is greater than a specified decibel level, and should this rule be violated in more than three games, no home games will be played at the offending field for the rest of the season, including playoff games. Things would quiet down.

At a time when the world seems sour, sports give us a place of joy, community and hope, and to have it spoiled is a bigger loss than it seems on the surface.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/09/18/chronicle-letter-to-the-editor-asks-nfl-fans-to-quiet-down/

CSJWilkinson
10-04-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm a 49ers fan. There's no way that I'm whining. The fans were awesome and the rivaly is getting to be pretty entertaining. Things like this is why I love the game.

NJarhead
10-04-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm a 49ers fan. There's no way that I'm whining. The fans were awesome and the rivaly is getting to be pretty entertaining. Things like this is why I love the game.

Relax, I said "a few." Lord knows we have our whiny ass fans too.

CSJWilkinson
10-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Relax, I said "a few." Lord knows we have our whiny ass fans too.

I know what you're saying. I had one of your fans driving me back from Wembley last Sunday.

NJarhead
10-04-2013, 03:05 PM
I know what you're saying. I had one of your fans driving me back from Wembley last Sunday.

Oh, I'm sure he was just a pillar of reserved emotion and rationale. :chuckle:

GodfatherofSoul
10-04-2013, 03:39 PM
I just want to know if it's true they're piping crowd noise into the intercom system, and if so I'd like to see a HEAVY fine levied. I don't think anything big happened to Indianapolis when they got busted.

CSJWilkinson
10-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Oh, I'm sure he was just a pillar of reserved emotion and rationale. :chuckle:

This is the best thing I've read today. He was. ;)

harrison'samonster
10-04-2013, 06:29 PM
no doubt crowd noise helps, it's definitely a big part of home field advantage. I can't say it actually wins games, but it really makes a difference.

43Hitman
10-04-2013, 06:41 PM
I swear I remember a rule in the 80's and early 90's about crowd noise in the NFL. The defense would get penalized 5 yards a pop. Does anyone else remember this?

NJarhead
10-05-2013, 09:17 AM
I just want to know if it's true they're piping crowd noise into the intercom system, and if so I'd like to see a HEAVY fine levied. I don't think anything big happened to Indianapolis when they got busted.

Actually, I think we're doing that. Not throughout, but to start the "DE-FENSE" chant. I don't think they used to do that, but I noticed it at the game against Cincy last year.

NJarhead
10-05-2013, 09:17 AM
I swear I remember a rule in the 80's and early 90's about crowd noise in the NFL. The defense would get penalized 5 yards a pop. Does anyone else remember this?

I remember a coach being warned about inciting the crowd. That's it though, and it was only once.

Buddha Bus
10-05-2013, 09:36 AM

I recall something about the refs stopping games and being able to possibly enforce a penalty. I could be wrong though.