PDA

View Full Version : Article Clowney is saving himself for the NFL

Atlanta Dan
10-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Smart man - if he has to continue to risk getting hurt until he is eligible for the draft, job one is staying healthy once he has shown the scouts what he can do

The guy’s a stud, the best defensive end in the country and the possible No. 1 overall pick in next year’s NFL draft.

Heading into the season he bragged that opposing players were scared of him and set a goal of 20 sacks and had the Heisman Trophy practically handed to him.

Now, Clowney doesn’t seem to want to play. It looks like he’s saving himself for the NFL.

He sat out of South Carolina’s win over Kentucky on Saturday, telling the coaches before kickoff that his ribs were hurting. This latest malady came after he’s already complained of a bad shoulder and a tummy ailment this year. Bone spurs in his right foot are certainly causing him pain.

At times, Clowney has looked looked like the terror he was in his first two seasons. But he’s also played like he’s going through the motions

http://blogs.ajc.com/college-football-insider-blog/2013/10/07/looks-like-clowney-is-saving-himself-for-the-nfl/

JonM229
10-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Is this anything like saving oneself for marriage? Not a great plan for someone playing football:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US-Ff4bTTfk

Atlanta Dan
10-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Is this anything like saving oneself for marriage? Not a great plan for someone playing football

Worked out OK for Mike Wallace last year:coffee:

JonM229
10-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Worked out OK for Mike Wallace last year:coffee:

That worked out for the Ravens yesterday as well with all of Wallace's drops.

Atlanta Dan
10-07-2013, 11:45 AM
That worked out for the Ravens yesterday as well with all of Wallace's drops.

The official term for One Trick Pony's continuing inability to run routes or catch the ball that was used during the Saints & Ravens games is that Wallace and Tannehill are "not on the same page"

NSMaster56
10-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Makes sense in theory.

Of course, the counter argument is that if he dogs it in college he'll dog it in the pros.

OX1947
10-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Not going full steam, breeds bad habits. Your work ethic can suck, you could never workout, you could ignore film sessions and practices. But if you cadillac it in real time games? You will fold and you will fold badly.

MasterOfPuppets
10-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Makes sense in theory.

Of course, the counter argument is that if he dogs it in college he'll dog it in the pros.
indeed. so every contract year his pro team can look forward to this.

Soberdisposition
10-07-2013, 06:22 PM
An attitude like this doesn't bode well for the future at all. He should be perfecting his craft for the pros and being the on field leader that the other players on his team look to for inspiration , rather than being a derisive and disruptive influence on the team. Let's hope he bucks up soon.

Atlanta Dan
10-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Makes sense in theory.

Of course you take that gamble anytime you sign someone

Do you want the slower, smaller player with the great attitude or a surly player with size and speed

Clowney's guess is he will be drafted higher with a bad attitude and two good legs than with a rep for being a team first guy with a blown out knee

tony hipchest
10-07-2013, 06:50 PM
who wouldn't want to go balls out for the right to be a Jacksonville Jaguar?.

hell, even unemployed Tim Tebow doesn't want to play for them.

NSMaster56
10-07-2013, 06:51 PM

Do you want the slower, smaller player with the great attitude or a surly player with size and speed

Clowney's guess is he will be drafted higher with a bad attitude and two good legs than with a rep for being a team first guy with a blown out knee

And if anyone could motivate a talent like Clowney, you'd think it'd be LeBeau.

If he's on the board, he should be the pick.

Who was the last flame out top-five DL/DE? Courtney Brown and Derrick Harvey (traded up/overdrafted)?

Just a uneducated guess, but it seems like DL/DE is a safe bet at the top of the draft.

Confounding Factor
10-07-2013, 08:44 PM
who wouldn't want to go balls out for the right to be a Jacksonville Jaguar?.

hell, even unemployed Tim Tebow doesn't want to play for them.

Ha my thoughts exactly.

Even with Clowney, they will still botch their other draft picks.

zcoop
10-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Makes sense in theory.

Clown's not dogging it. I'm a Gamecock but some folks who should be supporting him are acting like he's on a fucking plantation. He has had a few injuries thus far and I remember dirty play (cheap shots) from some of the opposition too.

He'll be back and the other side of the line (which they run to when Clown's in) seems to be playing much better, so more opportunities will be there for him to make plays. I never understood how some folks can determine that certain players are dogging it while others get a pass when they're out with injuries or don't play well.

Go figure.:noidea:

zcoop
10-07-2013, 11:08 PM

How can you label this kid that you don't know a player with a bad attitude? This kind of shit chaps my ass.

Lokki
10-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Riiiiight... and our O-Line is saving themselves for the playoffs... :wink02:

Lokki
10-08-2013, 08:52 AM
The official term for One Trick Pony's continuing inability to run routes or catch the ball that was used during the Saints & Ravens games is that Wallace and Tannehill are "not on the same page"

Seems like they are on the same page, but Wallace keeps dropping the book.

Atlanta Dan
10-08-2013, 10:22 AM
How can you label this kid that you don't know a player with a bad attitude? This kind of shit chaps my ass.

It is being reported by a lot of sources - but I agree that fans and reporters need to have something to base an opinion on for it be credible

So maybe because the Ol' Ball Coach knows him better than either of us and had this to say:noidea:

Jadeveon Clowney’s ailments are starting to wear on South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier.

Clowney, a Heisman candidate, missed Saturday’s game against Kentucky because of bruised ribs. And Spurrier had no idea his supposed star player was going to miss the game until Clowney informed him.

But he strolled out of the tunnel without his pads and Spurrier couldn’t help but sound off about Clowney’s decision.

"If he wants to play, we will welcome him to come play for the team if he wants," Spurrier said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/steve-spurrier-frustrated-star-jadeveon-clowney-034343634--ncaaf.html

[O]n Saturday, Spurrier said none of the coaches knew he wouldn’t be able to play until just before kickoff, although it was reported that Clowney didn’t practice last Thursday.

http://blogs.ajc.com/college-football-insider-blog/2013/10/07/looks-like-clowney-is-saving-himself-for-the-nfl/?cxntfid=blogs_college_football_insider_blog

Add this from defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward:

"I was totally surprised," Ward said. "Earlier in the day he went through walkthrough and he said he was hurting, but I thought he was going to play."

It doesn't take a football genius to read between the lines. Spurrier and Ward do not appear to be happy that Clowney sat out the game.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/content/blog-post/john-boyette/2013-10-06/spurriers-quotes-clowney-not-good-sign

Clowney's coaches lit the fuse on this discussion by their comments - if you want to be chapped about this discussion be chapped at his coaches for their comments

And consider that Clowney has seen up close how a blue chip talent can have his prospects derailed

His trepidation would be understandable, considering he watched former teammate Marcus Lattimore — once regarded by many as the best tailback in the 2013 draft class — suffer a major knee injury last year and ended up getting taken in the fourth round by the San Francisco 49ers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2013/10/07/jadeveon-clowney-2014-draft-south-carolina-gamecocks-steve-spurrier-marcus-lattimore/2935999/

zcoop
10-08-2013, 06:39 PM
It is being reported by a lot of sources - but I agree that fans and reporters need to have something to base an opinion on for it be credible

So maybe because the Ol' Ball Coach knows him better than either of us and had this to say:noidea:

Jadeveon Clowney’s ailments are starting to wear on South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier.

Clowney, a Heisman candidate, missed Saturday’s game against Kentucky because of bruised ribs. And Spurrier had no idea his supposed star player was going to miss the game until Clowney informed him.

But he strolled out of the tunnel without his pads and Spurrier couldn’t help but sound off about Clowney’s decision.

"If he wants to play, we will welcome him to come play for the team if he wants," Spurrier said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/steve-spurrier-frustrated-star-jadeveon-clowney-034343634--ncaaf.html

[O]n Saturday, Spurrier said none of the coaches knew he wouldn’t be able to play until just before kickoff, although it was reported that Clowney didn’t practice last Thursday.

http://blogs.ajc.com/college-football-insider-blog/2013/10/07/looks-like-clowney-is-saving-himself-for-the-nfl/?cxntfid=blogs_college_football_insider_blog

Add this from defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward:

"I was totally surprised," Ward said. "Earlier in the day he went through walkthrough and he said he was hurting, but I thought he was going to play."

It doesn't take a football genius to read between the lines. Spurrier and Ward do not appear to be happy that Clowney sat out the game.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/content/blog-post/john-boyette/2013-10-06/spurriers-quotes-clowney-not-good-sign

Clowney's coaches lit the fuse on this discussion by their comments - if you want to be chapped about this discussion be chapped at his coaches for their comments

And consider that Clowney has seen up close how a blue chip talent can have his prospects derailed

His trepidation would be understandable, considering he watched former teammate Marcus Lattimore — once regarded by many as the best tailback in the 2013 draft class — suffer a major knee injury last year and ended up getting taken in the fourth round by the San Francisco 49ers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2013/10/07/jadeveon-clowney-2014-draft-south-carolina-gamecocks-steve-spurrier-marcus-lattimore/2935999/

I'm pretty close to some of this and see that folks are attacking this kid's character. Some folks are trying to read more into this than there is. If a kid says he hurts (especially ribs) then have him checked out before jumping to conclusions. Both Spurrier and Ward have gotten emails from me and a few friends about airing their doubts in the media instead of going to the kid and his family.

The school, it's fans and most importantly, its coaches should be there for him. There is speculation that this could be an effort to have his stock drop so that he would come back for another year of college ball. Marcus got knocked out of an opportunity with tow ACLs, so although big and brawny, this is still a kid we're talking about.

tony hipchest
10-08-2013, 08:36 PM
I watched his meeting with the media today.he seems very happy and content with himself despite the controversy around him. He is definitely a shoo-in for a sponsorship deal with Visine once he goes professional. not saying he was all Irie or anything, just saying....

harrison'samonster
10-08-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm pretty close to some of this and see that folks are attacking this kid's character. Some folks are trying to read more into this than there is. If a kid says he hurts (especially ribs) then have him checked out before jumping to conclusions. Both Spurrier and Ward have gotten emails from me and a few friends about airing their doubts in the media instead of going to the kid and his family.

The school, it's fans and most importantly, its coaches should be there for him. There is speculation that this could be an effort to have his stock drop so that he would come back for another year of college ball. Marcus got knocked out of an opportunity with tow ACLs, so although big and brawny, this is still a kid we're talking about.

real nice post zcoop! We are all a little distanced from the players and sometimes its easy to forget that these aren't supermen the way the play on the field.

Atlanta Dan
10-08-2013, 08:55 PM

Great post :drink:

I actually think the smart move is to sit - it is ridiculous he cannot go pro and has to play another year of college ball

As you note Spurrier and the DC threw him under the bus - the "if he wants to play" zinger is classic Spurrier - but it is a lot funnier when Spurrier is throwing darts at opposing schools and their fans than his own players

Steelstoned1972
10-09-2013, 12:43 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--jadeveon-clowney-still-top-draft-pick--nfl-exec---i-d-be-scared-to-death-to-take-him--with-top-10-pick-221240941.html

I guess at least one nfl exec is turned off by Clowney .

zcoop
10-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Great post :drink:

I actually think the smart move is to sit - it is ridiculous he cannot go pro and has to play another year of college ball

As you note Spurrier and the DC threw him under the bus - the "if he wants to play" zinger is classic Spurrier - but it is a lot funnier when Spurrier is throwing darts at opposing schools and their fans than his own players

It appears that coach and that the school finally got the message.

"...coach Steve Spurrier said Tuesday he wanted to "clear the air" about Jadeveon Clowney and that "we all handled it poorly" last week when Clowney told the Gamecocks' coaches at the last minute he was too injured to play in the game."

"He was in pain. It was diagnosed later, and obviously we all handled it poorly. All of us did," Spurrier said.

During his regular weekly press conference on Tuesday, Spurrier's tune had changed, and he went out of his way to defend Clowney. Spurrier explained that he now had all the information.

From the ESPN story:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9792465/steve-spurrier-shoots-doubts-jadeveon-clowney