Paolantonio: Colts
Scouts Inc.: Seahawks
Hoge: Bengals
Jackson: Colts
Theismann: Colts
Golic: Colts
Salisbury: Panthers
Schlereth: Panthers

The sexy pick once again seems to be the Colts, followed by the Seahawks, Panthers, and Bengals.

Most predicted the MVP to be either Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer.

6 predicted the Steelers to win the AFC North, 4 predicted the Bengals, and 2 predicted the Ravens.

Here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview06/news/story?id=2568742

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Good old Hoge. Too many concussions + chronic ******* syndrome.

Livinginthe past
09-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Wow Merril Hoge picks against the Steelers?

This is virtually unheard of.

First Bettis, now Hoge...im sure its all some kind of ploy to...you know...give the guys a little adversity to react to.

NM

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Wow Merril Hoge picks against the Steelers?

This is virtually unheard of.

First Bettis, now Hoge...im sure its all some kind of ploy to...you know...give the guys a little adversity to react to.

NM

And right after I see a post where you accuse Steelers fans of being childish. You have to love irony.

Livinginthe past
09-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I dont know what you mean?

Hoge has picked against his ex-team.

So did Bettis.

What other reason can you think of?

Unless....they really are going to struggle?

Otherwise it has to be some type of conspiracy right?

NM

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Cute....very cute.

Livinginthe past
09-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Cute....very cute.

Just wait until I stop saying Cowher and use terms such as cap'n Spitball on a more regular basis.

Maybe cap'n Choke-job would be more apt?

I will stop using respectful terms such as the steelers - they now become the Stoolers or squealers.

Its all in the new rules apparently, where Belijerk becomes an accepted title for the coach of New England in the NFL forum.

Just a little bit of fun, hope no-one gets their britches in a twist.

NM

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 04:55 PM
He should be referred to as "The Other Man" considering what he does with his spare time.

At least Jabba the Chuck isn't your OC anymore.

BlackNGold203
09-01-2006, 06:00 PM
He should be referred to as "The Other Man" considering what he does with his spare time.

At least Jabba the Chuck isn't your OC anymore.

Chill out...stay on topic...if you want a trash talk thread..open one in the Blast Furnace...I'm really getting tired of saying this.....:blah: :blah: :blah:

Brady12
09-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Smith says Michael Vick for MVP.. That prediction... is.. out there.. :crazy01:

MattsMe
09-02-2006, 12:11 AM
I dont know what you mean?

So did Bettis.

NM

Got a link for that Bettis prediction? Just curious. :busted:

Jeremy
09-02-2006, 01:19 AM
Hoge was also a Bear, but I doubt Bears fans are getting all torn up over his prognostications.

Frankly, I don't care who picks the Steelers to win and who doesn't. None of them will play a single snap this year either for or against us. It's up to the team on the field to go out and win ballgames. The talking heads can spend all day Monday on ESPNews talking about it afterwards.

Livinginthe past
09-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Got a link for that Bettis prediction? Just curious. :busted:

Here ya go.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06244/718229-66.stm

It's going to be very, very difficult for them to repeat. They've got their hands full.

NM

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-02-2006, 10:27 AM
I agree with the Panthers pick... they are stocked at RB with Foster, Shelton and the rookie DeAngelo Williams...they have two legit recievers that should compliment each other in Smith and Johnson..and I still think that Keary Colbert can be a talent if given time.
On defense they have what I think is the strongest Line in the NFL in Peppers and Ruckers..and if Jenkins plays like he did two years ago they may not need the Kemoeatu brother from Baltimore....and they have a very solid secondary.
I think they outclass all other NFC teams...(sorry hawk believer)..although the Seahawks adding Peterson makes you wonder...?

In the AFC I see obvious weaknesses in Indy..they gave up 13 sacks in their last two games and the running game this year is not where they would want it to be.
..In Cincy they look like they may start a rookie in the secondary..and Pollack and Simmons may be stable but not really outstanding. I think their biggest obstacle is themselves...a little more cohesion makes this team contenders for the SB. (EWWWW..but I have to be honest)
..Denver added Walker to the WR corp and now have IMHO the best rookie QB in this draft as the backup to Plummer...but the DL is still a weakness even with dropping Pryce and picking up Lang. They also need to figure out how to keep big Nose guards (Hampton) out of their backfield. I know they lost Anderson..but Shannahan can turn ME into a 1,000 yd rusher....well maybe not.

Now...lets be honest about our Steelers...alot has been made about our lack at power back...but I truly believe that the combination of Parker and Haynes, can carry that load...even without Staley..I have NO DOUBT that Whiz will make the right roster shift and the right calls to maximize our players. On defense Kiesel is solid...so DE isnt downgraded from last year...but I still have some doubts at Safety..Both Clarke and Carter seem athletic enough, but get caught out of position...Smith is more than I ever thought he was going to be..but our scheme (with what we do with Polamalu) doesnt allow for rookie mistakes, so he is probably at least several months away from being the answer.
The question is...which of those teams mentioned do you see beating us....My opinion is that for the first time in several years..I think our biggest competition is in the NFC..the Panthers are legit.

Atlanta Dan
09-02-2006, 11:09 AM
The Colts being the overwhelming pick to win the AFC mystifies me.

From an offensive standpoint, it is hard to see how losing Edgerrin James is anything other than a downgrade for the offense. Combine that with 2 teams in the AFC having established they can beat the Colts in the playoffs (Steelers and Pats), Dungy's woeful playoff history, and the Colts having been fortunate to have even been close in the Steelers home field playoff loss. Add all that up and I just do not get it.

I suppose you can argue everything I stated above about the Colts could have been written at the start of last season about the Steelers. However, the big difference is that with Ben it was reasonable to expect he would improve significantly from his rookie to second year (which he did) and that the offense would improve along with him. OTOH, it is hard to see how the Colts have anywhere to go but down.

Of course, everyone not picking the Steelers is just fine with me - more motivational fuel with which Cowher can fire up the team.

Livinginthe past
09-02-2006, 11:28 AM
The Colts being the overwhelming pick to win the AFC mystifies me.

From an offensive standpoint, it is hard to see how losing Edgerrin James is anything other than a downgrade for the offense. Combine that with 2 teams in the AFC having established they can beat the Colts in the playoffs (Steelers and Pats), Dungy's woeful playoff history, and the Colts having been fortunate to have even been close in the Steelers home field playoff loss. Add all that up and I just do not get it.

I suppose you can argue everything I stated above about the Colts could have been written at the start of last season about the Steelers. However, the big difference is that with Ben it was reasonable to expect he would improve significantly from his rookie to second year (which he did) and that the offense would improve along with him. OTOH, it is hard to see how the Colts have anywhere to go but down.

Of course, everyone not picking the Steelers is just fine with me - more motivational fuel with which Cowher can fire up the team.

The difference being that every man and his dog weren't picking the Steelers last year based upon nothing more than hype.

Unfortunately, the Colts hold this position at the beginning of every season and no amount of post-season collapses looks likely to alter that.

NM

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-02-2006, 12:38 PM
The difference being that every man and his dog weren't picking the Steelers last year based upon nothing more than hype.

Unfortunately, the Colts hold this position at the beginning of every season and no amount of post-season collapses looks likely to alter that.

NM

Im not going to lie..I am not as confident this year as I was last year...we definatley need to work out some kinks and find the cohesion that we had from last year. On a coaching and talent level..I am confident. Its the RB and Safety position I would like to see worked out and find some semblance of that special leadership that Bettis brought to the table.

Livinginthe past
09-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Im not going to lie..I am not as confident this year as I was last year...we definatley need to work out some kinks and find the cohesion that we had from last year. On a coaching and talent level..I am confident. Its the RB and Safety position I would like to see worked out and find some semblance of that special leadership that Bettis brought to the table.

Everyone has their doubts at the beginning of a new season.

The Steeler strength of offense has been based primarily on its ability to pound out short gains consistently to wear teams down and close out games.

With Willie as the No.1 back thats all going to change; he is probably going to be put on his ass quite a few times behind the LOS, but everyone needs to stay patient becasue what you lose there you gain when he breaks a big one to the outside.

I also feel that the offensive strategy of ball retention in the past has allowed the Steelers alot more flexibility on D - to have an aggresive unit that blitzes often and with great variety without fearing they will run out of steam.

Again, with a more pass oriented, quick strike offense this may not be the case.

You have a QB who is more than capable of taking up the slack, but there will be the odd step back for every couple of steps forward.

As a Patriots fan I have become accustomed , in recent years anyway, to having a superb LBer unit with decent depth - this is something I cannot honestly say we have this year.

Without Bruschi we are leaky in terms of run D.

I am however very excited about our own run game - Maroney appears to be the real deal - time will tell.

NM

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Everyone has their doubts at the beginning of a new season.

The Steeler strength of offense has been based primarily on its ability to pound out short gains consistently to wear teams down and close out games.

With Willie as the No.1 back thats all going to change; he is probably going to be put on his ass quite a few times behind the LOS, but everyone needs to stay patient becasue what you lose there you gain when he breaks a big one to the outside.

I also feel that the offensive strategy of ball retention in the past has allowed the Steelers alot more flexibility on D - to have an aggresive unit that blitzes often and with great variety without fearing they will run out of steam.

Again, with a more pass oriented, quick strike offense this may not be the case.

You have a QB who is more than capable of taking up the slack, but there will be the odd step back for every couple of steps forward.

As a Patriots fan I have become accustomed , in recent years anyway, to having a superb LBer unit with decent depth - this is something I cannot honestly say we have this year.

Without Bruschi we are leaky in terms of run D.

I am however very excited about our own run game - Maroney appears to be the real deal - time will tell.

NM

I dont think that Parker is a power back by any means..but i do think that he may be able to surprise some people. As you mentioned, with a "quick pass-strike offense"...the defenses are going to have to compensate and back a few people off the line...If Parker can get past the DL's..he is big enough to ground out a few. That being said..I still hope that Pitt gives a long look at Shelton from Carolina or Dayne from Denver if either are cut today

MattsMe
09-02-2006, 10:48 PM

So did Bettis.

Bettis: It's going to be very, very difficult for them to repeat. They've got their hands full.

??????? You call that picking against his ex-team? News Flash: "It's going to be very, very difficult" does not equal "They won't repeat." It's going to be very, very difficult for any team to win the SB this year, just as it is every year. Jerome knows this as much as anyone. Do you really think he believes it will be difficult for the Steelers to win it, but not difficult for some other team?

Livinginthe past
09-03-2006, 12:16 AM
??????? You call that picking against his ex-team? News Flash: "It's going to be very, very difficult" does not equal "They won't repeat." It's going to be very, very difficult for any team to win the SB this year, just as it is every year. Jerome knows this as much as anyone. Do you really think he believes it will be difficult for the Steelers to win it, but not difficult for some other team?

I dont particularly have the time nor the inclination to quote the whole article out to you piece by piece.

If you read it, and thought Bettis was saying the Steelers have as good a chance as anyone then more power to you - I dont think I am alone on this forum in seeing what he said as a negative take on the upcoming season.

You're obviously a pretty positive sorta guy.

NM

tony hipchest
09-05-2006, 02:07 PM
I dont particularly have the time nor the inclination to quote the whole article out to you piece by piece.

If you read it, and thought Bettis was saying the Steelers have as good a chance as anyone then more power to you - I dont think I am alone on this forum in seeing what he said as a negative take on the upcoming season.

You're obviously a pretty positive sorta guy.

NM

"Bettis painted a rosier picture in a column he wrote in the current Steelers Digest: "Looking at this Steelers team, I give them about a 70 percent chance of repeating, pretty high in this age of parity in the NFL." -postgazette.com

real negative there huh?

spin away. more power to you.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-05-2006, 02:26 PM
When are they going to realize that the colts are not going to win the superbow...
Manning is a great QB but once hes under pressure hes not that good...
And each year that he missis the big game the more pressure hes under....

Hammer67
09-05-2006, 02:30 PM
When are they going to realize that the colts are not going to win the superbow...

I think these players are not as motivated by winning the big game as some think. The old money factor is the biggest motivator in this NFL.

Sad, but true.

Livinginthe past
09-05-2006, 02:52 PM
"Bettis painted a rosier picture in a column he wrote in the current Steelers Digest: "Looking at this Steelers team, I give them about a 70 percent chance of repeating, pretty high in this age of parity in the NFL." -postgazette.com

real negative there huh?

spin away. more power to you.

That sounds awfully scientific Tony.

Looks like Bettis flip-flops pretty good to me - could be the new Madden.

From real, real difficult to ummmmm 70%.

:sofunny:

Still, at least he has both positions covered now - looks like Bettis is learning quick.

NM

CantStop85
09-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Many of the same things were said about Bill Cowher as a coach...we all know how that one turned out.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Many of the same things were said about Bill Cowher as a coach...we all know how that one turned out.

YES.......BUT BILL COWHER IS A PITTSBURGH STEELER!!!

jaysta
09-05-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't have the stats on this, but does anyone know if any of these guys have predicted a Super Bowl winner correctly from the preseason? Just curious.

BlackNGold203
09-05-2006, 09:19 PM
That sounds awfully scientific Tony.

Looks like Bettis flip-flops pretty good to me - could be the new Madden.

From real, real difficult to ummmmm 70%.

:sofunny:

Still, at least he has both positions covered now - looks like Bettis is learning quick.

NM

Pretty obvious what Jerome is doing......

When commenting nationally...he is much less enthusiastic...
When commenting in Steelers Digest...he is much more positive...

THAT is how the media is...and Bussy is now...in the media...