PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Trade For Patriots RB

Livinginthe past
09-01-2006, 03:46 PM
The Steelers have traded an undisclosed draft pick for New England UDFA Patrick Cobbs.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Cobbs has had a nice preseason racking up some yardage with the run and catching out of the backfield.

Yours truly suggested something like this should happen, though i'd have preferred a LBer to a draft pick.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=142788&highlight=cobbs#post142788

Staley to be cut?

NM

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 03:47 PM
As if we didn't have enough wastes on space on the roster.

Are we trying to go 8-8 this season?

SteelerFanInCA
09-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Interesting... So what does this mean for Staley? What's the 411 on Cobb's? Is he a big or small back?

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Na na na na
Na na na na
Hey hey hey
Bye Duuuuuuuuuuce

Although why not Kuhn?

BlackNGold203
09-01-2006, 03:52 PM

Hold off on the judgement bro...maybe this guy can help us....Staley must be toast...big cap saving for us...:cool: :cool:

83-Steelers-43
09-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Patrick Cobbs
Position: RB
Height: 5-9
Weight: 210
Born: 01/31/1983
College: North Texas
NFL Experience: Rookie

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 03:54 PM
What's the 411 on Cobb's? Is he a big or small back?

He's a throw away. Not even as good as Humes.

I'm thrilled we're getting rid of a proven NFL running back in favor of an unproven nobody from a horrible D-IAA program. That's certainly a reason to celebrate.

If Parkers gets hurt, we're done for the season.

SteelerFanInCA
09-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Patrick Cobbs
Height: 5-9
Weight: 210
Born: 01/31/1983
College: North Texas

Thanks 83. It looks like he is just a tad bit shorter than Willie.

Livinginthe past
09-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Interesting... So what does this mean for Staley? What's the 411 on Cobb's? Is he a big or small back?

I would put him the small back category, I thought he was being brought in as a potential replacement for Kevin Faulk - though he shows a little more in terms of pure running strength.

I think he is a nice pick up - he has some fumbling issues, but then Tiki Barber had them until alot later in his career.

He has a good attitude and really raised a few eyebrows in New England with his game, unfortunately we are loaded at RB (which is pretty rare for us) this year.

Maybe he is more of a back-up to Willie rather than a direct replacement of Staley.

NM

83-Steelers-43
09-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Never seen the kid play so I'm not going to pretend I know how he's going to pan out. I'll take the wait and see approach. Actually give the kid a chance.

tony hipchest
09-01-2006, 03:59 PM
The Steelers have traded an undisclosed draft pick for New England UDFA Patrick Cobbs.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Cobbs has had a nice preseason racking up some yardage with the run and catching out of the backfield.

Yours truly suggested something like this should happen, though i'd have preferred a LBer to a draft pick.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=142788&highlight=cobbs#post142788

Staley to be cut?

NMi read that post yeasterday. good call. you seem much more confident in the steelers drafting linebackers than what the patriots do with that additional pick. steelers will be cutting one probably. if not there is alanzo jackson (maybe) and jason gildon sitting by theior phones.

word is duce will not be cut. last year the steelers carried 4 rb's and a fb. this year it looks like it may be willie, verron, duce, cobbs, with the humigator and possibly kuhn on the practice squad.

as popular as cornholing is in cincinatti, i figured cobbs would be a "better fit" with the bengals.

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 04:01 PM
This move is making no sense to me. Kuhn clearly outperformed Humes.

Parker, Staley, Haynes, Kreider

Kuhn PS

Humes cut.

I'm not sure why they'd cut both Kuhn and Humes then trade a draft pick just to put a guy on the practice squad, especially since another team can sign someone off our PS.

TasmanianTroy271
09-01-2006, 04:01 PM

Well, thats a relief, since there's no one on the Steelers roster named Parkers. I think we've found Bill Cowher's replacement, boys; Jeremy obviously knows more about the players and whats better for the Steelers than the organization itself.

Livinginthe past
09-01-2006, 04:02 PM
i read that post yeasterday. good call. you seem much more confident in the steelers drafting linebackers than what the patriots do with that additional pick. steelers will be cutting one probably. if not there is alanzo jackson (maybe) and jason gildon sitting by theior phones.

word is duce will not be cut. last year the steelers carried 4 rb's and a fb. this year it looks like it may be willie, verron, duce, cobbs, with the humigator and possibly kuhn on the practice squad.

as popular as cornholing is in cincinatti, i figured cobbs would be a "better fit" with the bengals.

Thanks.

There is no doubt that the Steelers are the best LBer school in the NFL - they seem to be loaded there all the time.

For some reason, BB isn't keen on bringing new guys into the existing system.

Cobbs....cornholing... :chuckle:

NM

83-Steelers-43
If I had to say anything about this kid, at least he didn't come into camp out of shape and he will actually attempt to prove himself and give his all.

While I was MORE than willing to give Duce a shot and then some, after hearing he came into camp out of shape (which was reported before the Eagles game), I lost a good bit of respect for the guy.

With that being said, I'm going to wait and see what this kid brings to the table.

SteelerFanInCA
I would put him the small back category, I thought he was being brought in as a potential replacement for Kevin Faulk - though he shows a little more in terms of pure running strength.

I think he is a nice pick up - he has some fumbling issues, but then Tiki Barber had them until alot later in his career.

He has a good attitude and really raised a few eyebrows in New England with his game, unfortunately we are loaded at RB (which is pretty rare for us) this year.

Maybe he is more of a back-up to Willie rather than a direct replacement of Staley.

NM

Thanks for the insight.

Livinginthe past
09-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the insight.

You're welcome dude.

NM

Ambridge
09-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Patrick Cobbs
Height: 5-9 :dang:
Weight: 210 :dang:

Hey LITP!! I heard Lawrence Mulroney suffered an undisclosed knee injury against the Redskins last week.
Have you heard anything about it??

Midnightwriter07
09-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Well i dont see how KUHN does not make the 53 man roster.. no idea about this kid Cobbs.. maybe they arent happy with Humes and he is going to be cut indefinately and Cobbs will be on practice squad and they thought it would be a better reach now than waiting.. KUHN has to make this team .. so that being said and having Willie, Haynes and KUHN with wrapped up spots.. maybe that 4th RB postion will be Staley with Cobbs on PS or else Staley and Humes cut and Cobb as the 4th.. I didnt expect this one, i knew they were going to go after a RB somewhere... but i thought would have waited for cuts and taken a Suggs or Green or possibly Davenport ect ect .. interesting move.. i just wish i knew what meant lmao

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 04:10 PM
But someone can be signed off our practice squad. Whats to stop a team like Dolphins or the morally corrupt Patriots from signing him and voila! they have a free draft pick.

You don't trade for a practice squad body. That makes no sense.

Maybe Duce to Miami?

Dolphins | Team will try to add another running back
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 13:33:51 -0700

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins will attempt to add another veteran running back to the roster after RB Sammy Morris was suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the NFL's steroids policy. "[Running back] is an area we've had some interest in trying to improve, even in the offseason," head coach Nick Saban said.

TasmanianTroy271
09-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Ha Ha Duce to Miami would be really great, especially if we do it before the game.

SteelerFanInCA
09-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Hey LITP!! I heard Lawrence Mulroney suffered an undisclosed knee injury against the Redskins last week.

Looks like some information here but not too much detail on his injury.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=155448

Elvis
09-01-2006, 04:16 PM
I agree with you Midnightwriter... I love Kuhn... he is such a bull runner and he showed last night that he has pretty good moves after the catch.. didnt he!!... I love the guy... I have heard of Cobbs but never seen him play the game...
God Bless All...
Elvis

Midnightwriter07
09-01-2006, 04:17 PM
With them adding Cobbs... i just dont see it. Myabe this team is not as high on KUHN as I am. I cant see them keeping Staley and cutting him and taking a player such as COBBS and cutting KUHN.. i have to think this would mean Staley is gone. Just has to be

BlackNGold203
09-01-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm sure Cowher and colbert have a plan...

LOL...I LOVE how everyone thinks they have a better idea than our FO does...have faith boys....:cool: :cool:

Steelknife
09-01-2006, 04:23 PM
No one thinks they have a better idea, but this is the most interesting development since Ben's face.

83-Steelers-43
09-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Some college info on Cobbs.............

His sophomore year at N. Texas, he has 1,680 yards rushing and 19 TD's...It seems that he didn't play his junior year...and his Sr year, he rounded out at 1,154 yards and 6 TD's...Most interesting stat...He didn't fumble 1 time in his college career (566 carries)...Last, but not least, he averaged 5.1 yds per carry in his college career...

Why you should care about Patrick Cobbs: He's the best player on the best team in the Sun Belt conference. The Mean Green has so much Sun Belt talent that there's no reason Cobbs can't lead the nation in rushing again and be the Sun Belt Player of the Year. For all runners looking to win the rushing crown, they'll have to watch the box scores for Cobbs as he'll set the bar extremely high.

Positives about Cobbs: He's a good-sized back with decent power and tremendous speed and quickness. When he gets a sliver of daylight, he's gone. He's a consistent back rushing for over 106 yards in the last ten games he played in last season. While not used much as a receiver, he can catch.

Negatives about Cobbs: It's one thing to light up Sun Belt teams like a Christmas tree, but it's another to do it against quality BCS-league teams. He hasn't had much of a chance to go up against the big boys, and it's hardly fair to dog him for only rushing for 38 yards against Oklahoma, but there's a school of thought that any number of other good backs might put up the same numbers running behind the good North Texas line against Sun Belt teams.

A cool thing about Cobbs that you probably didn't know ... Cobbs wasn't just an All-State running back in high school, he was also a star defensive back rated as one of the best recruits to come out of Oklahoma. If you added up his career marks, he has rushed for 7,592 yards and scored 80 touchdowns over his last five years of playing football.

Articles pertaining to Cobbs:

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2004/Players/NorthTexas_PatrickCobbs.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sunbelt/2005-08-14-north-texas-sun-belt_x.htm

83-Steelers-43
09-01-2006, 04:26 PM
No one thinks they have a better idea, but this is the most interesting development since Ben's face.

Obviously you skipped the first page.

BlackNGold203
09-01-2006, 04:30 PM
What's the 411 on Cobb's? Is he a big or small back?

He's a throw away. Not even as good as Humes.

I'm thrilled we're getting rid of a proven NFL running back in favor of an unproven nobody from a horrible D-IAA program. That's certainly a reason to celebrate.

and if Brady goes down..so are the Pats...
and if manning goes down..so are the Colts...
and if Palmer goes down..so are the Bengals...
and if Alexander goes down...so are the Seahawks
and if LT goes down....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

83-Steelers-43
09-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Also, remember that one guy that we drafted from that little known university? Ahh yes, none other than Mr. Joe Greene. Also, that Eric Pegram character.

Midnightwriter07
09-01-2006, 04:35 PM
ahahah @ all players going down ... and usually happens during season... I am not knocking Cobbs at all, i personally dont know anything about him.. was a suprise ... i just am wondering what this means as far as who the **** is getting cut.

83-Steelers-43
09-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Time will definately tell.

slyfox13
09-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Interesting... So what does this mean for Staley? What's the 411 on Cobb's? Is he a big or small back?cobb is a small back maybe staley will fit with the dolphins?:sofunny:

BlackNGold203
09-01-2006, 04:42 PM
ahahah @ all players going down ... and usually happens during season... I am not knocking Cobbs at all, i personally dont know anything about him.. was a suprise ... i just am wondering what this means as far as who the **** is getting cut.

We will know by 6:00 tomorrow....

I trust Bill and Kevin to put together the very best roster for the title defense....

anybody know what Duce's cap number is?..its got to be significant....

Livinginthe past
09-01-2006, 04:52 PM

Hey Ambridge,

There hasnt been a great deal of talk about this injury until today when a little info leaked out.

We dont have much to go on at this point, but feeling is that he may have tweaked something, nothing too serious, and he will be ok for week1.

You never really know though unless they get carted off the field.

NM

Seth88101
09-01-2006, 04:58 PM
The pats new Cobbs wasn't going to make it long on the PS so they got what they could for him. I wouldn't be surprised if the trade agreement was "a 7th round draft pick IF Cobbs make the steelers team"

BlackNGold203
09-01-2006, 05:02 PM
The pats new Cobbs wasn't going to make it long on the PS so they got what they could for him. I wouldn't be surprised if the trade agreement was "a 7th round draft pick IF Cobbs make the steelers team"

rep to you Seth..well thought out post.....:cool: :cool:

Seth88101
09-01-2006, 05:06 PM
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=39876

The fans love him and expected/wanted him to make the team. I think this is good news, will be a great addition.

Prosdo
09-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Tomorrow is going to be very interesting to say the least. The FO and coaches have something ready.

slyfox13
09-01-2006, 05:09 PM

Are we trying to go 8-8 this season?8 and 8 is stretching it a bit dont you think!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2006, 05:28 PM

Why you even a Steelers fan? I think its rather silly to bury us before the season even has started yet.

WWIIOwheelz
09-01-2006, 05:38 PM
The other guy we got from that school..... Mean Joe? He's a scout for the Steelers now. Coincidence? Probably not. I'll be remembering the name.

Koopa
09-01-2006, 06:01 PM
"Patrick Cobbs RB Cobbs (5-8, 206) ran a 40 in 4.71 seconds with the wind and 4.94 against the wind. He also ran the short shuttle in 4.24 and the three-cone drill in 7.10. In additon, he had a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-6 broad jump and 20 bench presses."

he seems pretty damn slow, but it could be because of this

The players ran on the turf inside the stadium. There were wind gusts of 20-25 mph.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#notex

clevestinks
09-01-2006, 06:10 PM
???? It seems like this kid was probably going to get cut any how! I thought wew were alright at rb, maybe not???

Livinginthe past
09-01-2006, 06:42 PM
???? It seems like this kid was probably going to get cut any how! I thought wew were alright at rb, maybe not???

Dont worry Cleve, im sure its only for a conditional 5-7th round pick - probably dependent on whether he makes the roster and how many appearances he makes during the season.

Im guessing they didnt want to wait until he was on the open market and get involved in a potential bidding war with another team.

I honestly think this is one of the weakest RB corps I have seen in Pittsburgh in a long time - but most teams are weak somwhere, and you have a dominating D and a top-notch QB - so its not all doom and gloom.

NM

tony hipchest
09-01-2006, 07:09 PM
I honestly think this is one of the weakest RB corps I have seen in Pittsburgh in a long time -

NM:rofl: i guess that means in the past 3 years.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-01-2006, 07:18 PM
is it possible one of our backs have an injury problem we should know of?

19ward86
09-01-2006, 07:30 PM
staley is gone kuhn is second, cobbs is 3rd and humes might be 4th if he makes the 53 man roster, i just cant wait for us to have a dominate running game again. i went to my families house again and got picked on for being a steelers fan, uncle is a big bengals guy. BENGALS SUCK

Livinginthe past
09-01-2006, 07:32 PM
:rofl: i guess that means in the past 3 years.

Why so?

You have another weak one in 2003? :cool:

NM

PisnNapalm
09-01-2006, 07:35 PM
staley is gone kuhn is second, cobbs is 3rd and humes might be 4th if he makes the 53 man roster, i just cant wait for us to have a dominate running game again. i went to my families house again and got picked on for being a steelers fan, uncle is a big bengals guy. BENGALS SUCK

So Veron Haynes is on the practice squad? :dang:

Dook
09-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Hold off on the judgement bro...maybe this guy can help us....Staley must be toast...big cap saving for us...:cool: :cool:

I think our cap savings this year will be only $500,000 from cutting Duce. Just not worth it on that alone, he must really be lazy.

43Hitman
09-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Didn't Kuhn get hurt last night. I thought I heard them (the announcers) say something about it. If so maybe they want to cut/trade Duce and depending on the severity of the injury place Kuhn on IR. Then the signing of Cobbs makes more sense.

Regardless I trust our front office. They would not have made this move if they didn't see some sort of positive results out of this kid.

Like I said last night about Duce, 2.3 yards a carry just don't cut it. No pun intended. Especially when Kuhn ran behind the same line last night and averaged almost 5 ypc.

Midnightwriter07
09-01-2006, 08:48 PM
I didnt hear anything about kuhn getting hurt..... logan and iwaoma and brroks( so ) is all i heard about

tony hipchest
09-01-2006, 09:40 PM
im sorry but what has kuhn done against a #1 starting defense such as philly's or carolina's?. duce tore up the defending sb champs until he was sucker punched in the bottom of a pile. (duces last game as a starter)

gimme duce and put kuhn on the practice squad so green bay can snatch him up. we'll find another next year.

jaysta
09-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Way too much to speculate on now. All these young RB's without any proven NFL experience on the squad. Duce is the only one with years in the league under his belt, and he's looking like the end of his career is near. Duce might be good to have around just to help these guys out with advice from a player's point of view. All I can say is let's sit back and see what happens.

Jeremy
09-02-2006, 12:17 AM
It's always hard to question moves made by a team like Pittsburgh or New England. They've been good for the last few seasons, so you just assume they know what they're doing.

But I'm nervous at the thought of going in to the season without an experienced and proven NFL running back. Parker has great upside and Haynes is good at what he does. But I'd like to have the saftey net of a guy like Duce.

I still think they should have taken a flyer on Mike Robinson in the 2nd round. He's looking great in San Fran right now.

Steelknife
09-02-2006, 01:50 AM
im sorry but what has kuhn done against a #1 starting defense such as philly's or carolina's?. duce tore up the defending sb champs until he was sucker punched in the bottom of a pile. (duces last game as a starter)

gimme duce and put kuhn on the practice squad so green bay can snatch him up. we'll find another next year.

Now I think I've heard every Duce Excuse in the book. Thanks.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-02-2006, 07:25 AM

Thank you!!! Thats exactly right!....and as for Cobbs...I just hope we can untrain him..:rolleyes:

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 10:32 AM
anybody know what Duce's cap number is?..its got to be significant....

He took a cut to 1.5 this year. That would be the cap savings......well, the savings would be that minus Cobbs $275K cap hit.

Duce is due to hit next year's cap at $3.86. If released now, we'll carry $2.34 of dead money for Duce. Still a "savings" of $1.52 vs what he would have counted if he made the team next year.

HometownGal
09-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Never seen the kid play so I'm not going to pretend I know how he's going to pan out. I'll take the wait and see approach. Actually give the kid a chance.

I'm with you there, 83. I don't have a crystal ball to be able to see what this kid can do and what he can't. Obviously, the Steelers saw something in him.

0footballfan0
09-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Followed Cobbs at UNT, and he was a great back in College. Since I went to UNT I also paid attention when he went to the Pats. Eventhough he was a great D1 RB you never know how well they will do in the pros. I followed each and every game he played, and from what he showed in New England he will be a good risk for any team. He was their top back in pre season. And below is some NFL pre season stats:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2006/pre (number 7 in Rushin yards)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RTDS/2006/pre (number 2 in TDs)

The reason the traded him is that they are loaded at RB, and knew that because he did so well in preseason someone would pick him up if they put him on the PS. They did the only thing they could and traded him.

Since most Steelers fans are not going to know who this kid is unless they are big into College Football, a good sign that this was a good move is by looking at the how disappointed the NE fans are that they lost him. They saw him every game.

0footballfan0
09-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Patrick Cobbs is from Tecumseh, OK. About 30 miles from Norman, OK.

BoJangles12
09-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Cobbs is going to surprise all of you. He'll be the number 2 back behind Parker once he shows what he can do in a couple of games. This kid has talent and a good attitude to go with it. You can talk down on him right now all that you want, but I'll be laughing once all of you start eating your words once he starts doing well.

0footballfan0
09-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Just an FYI....

Patrick Cobbs was a RB at the same College as Erric Pegram.

I think most of you know who he is.

Also Mean Joe Green came from UNT.

tony hipchest
09-03-2006, 03:25 AM
Just an FYI....

Patrick Cobbs was a RB at the same College as Erric Pegram.

I think most of you know who he is.

Also Mean Joe Green came from UNT.well, i gotta think the steelers did something good. theres probably about 3-4 of the '07 draft picks that wont be good enough to make the team next yeart anyways. and going by the steelers record with undrafted free agents (willie parker, james harrison, nate washington, dan kreider) i gotta think that plucking someone offa the street is just as good as drafting them as long as they produce (or have the capability of producing). im counting on willie staying healthy and we dont need to see this new dude all year anyways.

Elvis
09-03-2006, 05:52 AM
I believe by the way it sounds that we prob made a pretty good move in getting Cobbs for such a low draft pick but letting Kuhn go and keeeping Staley makes No Sense to me..Staley is finished...
God Bless Ya'll
Elvis

BlackNGold203
09-03-2006, 08:11 AM
I believe by the way it sounds that we prob made a pretty good move in getting Cobbs for such a low draft pick but letting Kuhn go and keeeping Staley makes No Sense to me..Staley is finished...
God Bless Ya'll
Elvis

I thin Kuhn will pick from about..oh..I dunno...31 major offers in the next few days....and wherever he signs...he will immediately start...and run for 1954 yards...and score 22 touchdowns this year!!!

*mops up dripped sarcasm*

Can everyone PLEASE just get over this Kuhn crap?

:cool: :cool: