PDA

View Full Version : giants vs bears

tony hipchest
10-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Eli has two pics on the first two drives including a pick six.

What I don't like is after the first pic, rest man calls for the bears to go for it on fourth and two from inside the 5.

Should be 10-0 5 minutes into the game.

Eli looks like a Muppet character in headlights.

NSMaster56
10-10-2013, 08:51 PM
What I don't like is after the first pic, rest man calls for the bears to go for it on fourth and two from inside the 5.

It's a high percentage play.

Seven points is better than three.

It's better to go for it closer to the EZ than further (when you don't need it).

Also, the average NFL play is usually three to four yards. The odds of converting a fourth and short are pretty favorable.

The main reason why going for it seems like the worse option is because coaches have been conditioned by years of conservative play calling and media criticism to kick.

GodfatherofSoul
10-10-2013, 09:19 PM
It's a high percentage play.

Seven points is better than three.

It's better to go for it closer to the EZ than further (when you don't need it).

Also, the average NFL play is usually three to four yards. The odds of converting a fourth and short are pretty favorable.

The main reason why going for it seems like the worse option is because coaches have been conditioned by years of conservative play calling and media criticism to kick.

I thought it was a great gamble. If they kick a field goal, the Giants feel like they "escaped" anyway, so might as well go for a kill shot.

GodfatherofSoul
10-10-2013, 09:19 PM
how the hell did we not sign Jacobs?

tony hipchest
10-10-2013, 09:43 PM
if I'm the coach I al ways want to play with a lead. And I'd definitely want to score on the first drive of the game weather it's 3 or7 points.

as it stands the bears have a 6. lead with a quarter to go. Much better to be playing with a 2 score lead in stead of one

Good game though. Not sure the giants defense can slo them down in the fourth.

NSMaster56
10-10-2013, 09:58 PM
I thought it was a great gamble. If they kick a field goal, the Giants feel like they "escaped" anyway, so might as well go for a kill shot.

Precisely.

Plus, while you're risking scoring zero points, you're increasing the potential to score four more.

Worst case scenario---failed conversion---the opposition now has the ball inside their own five. For a team like the Bears it's a solid position.

It's the same logic you use when you double down on 10/11 or sit dead red and decide to swing on a fastball across the plate on a 3-0 count.

Reward outweighs risk.

NSMaster56
10-10-2013, 10:00 PM
as it stands the bears have a 6. lead with a quarter to go. Much better to be playing with a 2 score lead in stead of one

The failed fourth down conversion directly led to the pick six though.

If the Bears take the points, do they still get the pick six the following drive?

tony hipchest
10-10-2013, 10:10 PM
The failed fourth down conversion directly led to the pick six though.

If the Bears take the points, do they still get the pick six the following drive?
its Eli Manning. He threw five interceptions in six consecutive drives at that point. That's like asking if Matt schaub would throw a pick six... its what they do. Lol

tony hipchest
10-10-2013, 10:12 PM
just as I posted that he like threw his third interception to essentially in the game.:chuckle:

NSMaster56
10-10-2013, 10:18 PM
its Eli Manning. He threw five interceptions in six consecutive drives at that point. That's like asking if Matt schaub would throw a pick six... its what they do. Lol

:chuckle:

Touche.

NSMaster56
10-10-2013, 10:22 PM
So will the Giants do the sensible thing and fire Coughlin now during a 'long week' or will they wait until their bye week two weeks from now?

Atlanta Dan
10-10-2013, 10:53 PM
If anyone gets on Ben's ass about playing so poorly after winning 2 Super Bowls he can still say Eli is playing worse:chuckle:

I think as QBs get older they just get tired of getting hit and throw the ball regardless of where it goes

That includes Brady - Peyton not so much but i still think Broncos fans are going to have their heart broken this post-season

Atlanta Dan
10-10-2013, 10:56 PM
So will the Giants do the sensible thing and fire Coughlin now during a 'long week' or will they wait until their bye week two weeks from now?

I assume you are joking - he has 2 Lombardis and won one of them 2 seasons ago

He is gone but he gets a full season

It is a great job - don't sleep on Gruden getting it (a couple years ago I would have said Cowher but he is making good $$ with no stress and I think is done coaching)

tony hipchest
10-10-2013, 11:24 PM

It is a great job - don't sleep on Gruden getting it (a couple years ago I would have said Cowher but he is making good $$ with no stress and I think is done coaching)

Maybe we can hire Kevin gilbride back next year so Ben can punch him in the face.:tt02::chuckle:

When I think of cow her I can't help but to think of dick vermeil.

I can't wait to hear him in the booth this weekend with Simms and nantz

Atlanta Dan
10-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Maybe we can hire Kevin gilbride back next year so Ben can punch him in the face

As you posted previously, my new hope is the Texans blow it up and the Steelers hire Kubiak to replace Haley (who I think is gone - the lawsuits indicate this guy has major issues outside of Xs and Os)

teegre
10-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Norv!!!

He is the best OC in the league. All of his QBs had the best years of their careers under him.

tony hipchest
10-11-2013, 12:14 AM
As you posted previously, my new hope is the Texans blow it up and the Steelers hire Kubiak to replace Haley (who I think is gone - the lawsuits indicate this guy has major issues outside of Xs and Os)

please please please please please.

The Chargers blew it up a year too late. Norv Turner could have resurrected Mendenhall's career and he would do wonders with levy on Bell. I think Ben may have even shown him some respect since he has some pelts on the wall.

Same can be said for kubiak.

Atlanta Dan
10-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Nobody brings it like the sportswriters in New York when a team is screwing up:chuckle:

In the Giantsí season-opening game, Eli Manning threw an interception on the first play from scrimmage. Demonstrating improvement in the sixth game of the season Thursday night, Manning did not throw an interception until the third play of the game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/11/sports/football/familiar-start-with-another-ugly-ending-for-giants.html?ref=sports&_r=0

TheWarDen86
10-11-2013, 10:09 AM

That's been a short discussion here in the NY area. No one believes he's going anywhere.

TheWarDen86
10-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Nobody brings it like the sportswriters in New York when a team is screwing up:chuckle:

In the Giants’ season-opening game, Eli Manning threw an interception on the first play from scrimmage. Demonstrating improvement in the sixth game of the season Thursday night, Manning did not throw an interception until the third play of the game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/11/sports/football/familiar-start-with-another-ugly-ending-for-giants.html?ref=sports&_r=0

:sofunny: Bastards. :chuckle:

Parcells was always good at handling them.

tony hipchest
10-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Norv!!!

He is the best OC in the league. All of his QBs had the best years of their careers under him.

shit... what about the running backs?

emmit smith- set rushing TD's in a single season record
stephen davis- led league in rushing td's
rickey williams- led league in yards rushing
frank gore- 2nd in league in rushing yds and td's(?)
ladainian tomlinson- broke rushing record for td's in a single season.

GodfatherofSoul
10-11-2013, 12:25 PM
I'd be shocked if Eli got canned no matter how bad the seAson goes. They're not an organization to act prematurely. Especially since his receivers have caused at least half the INTs.

NSMaster56
10-11-2013, 12:53 PM
That's been a short discussion here in the NY area. No one believes he's going anywhere.

Really?

It seems like every year Coughlin's head has been called for---and that was when he was winning.

stb_steeler
10-11-2013, 01:07 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz240/stbsteeler/1382113_236662759822173_1701213937_n_zps3f5a529d.j pg (http://s831.photobucket.com/user/stbsteeler/media/1382113_236662759822173_1701213937_n_zps3f5a529d.j pg.html)

NSMaster56
10-11-2013, 01:11 PM

You're probably right. Andy Reid wasn't canned until after last season. Similar situation.

Logically, he does deserve that much.

It being New York and considering how any other coach in that position would be gone, he probably 'deserves' to be fired now.

That would be interesting. Aside from him and Lovie, there aren't a ton of great candidates out there.

TheWarDen86
10-12-2013, 06:55 AM
Really?

It seems like every year Coughlin's head has been called for---and that was when he was winning.

Haha, that's very true. And that's because it's New Yawk. :chuckle:

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz240/stbsteeler/1382113_236662759822173_1701213937_n_zps3f5a529d.j pg (http://s831.photobucket.com/user/stbsteeler/media/1382113_236662759822173_1701213937_n_zps3f5a529d.j pg.html)

As soon as I saw this, I heard Billy Idol singing "Dancing with myself." :laughing:

Confounding Factor
10-12-2013, 08:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/TYaqSFA.gif

tony hipchest
10-12-2013, 10:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/TYaqSFA.gif

Lol...DISSED!

stb_steeler
10-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Lol...DISSED!

DAMAGED!!!