PDA

View Full Version : brutal injuries sweep through the league...

tony hipchest
10-21-2013, 01:18 PM
...in week 7.

Sam Bradford, Reggie Wayne, Brian Cushing, Doug martin likely done for the year.

Jay cutler, Lance Briggs, nick foles, jermichael Finley to miss extended time.

Arian Foster borrowed woodleys hamstring.

That list is basically Hines wards entire fantasy football team. :doh:

Obviously the steelers scouting dept, trainers, and strength and conditioning coaches fault....

Oh, and mike Tomlin.

TheWarDen86
10-21-2013, 01:20 PM
How much you want to bet this won't be acknowledged during Goodell's tenure? Just don't see him admitting his rule changes caused this.

Or, if it is, there'll be a new "hitting zone."

Heard Tunch joke about uniforms where they color the correct hitting zone (knees to neck) in red. lol

I wouldn't put it past old Roger to further fuck things up.

SteelersCanada
10-21-2013, 01:24 PM
The rest of the league is feeling the pain we've felt for the last couple of years.

Master Yoda
10-21-2013, 01:54 PM
And the league wants an 18 game regular season. Yeah right.

JonM229
10-21-2013, 02:13 PM
All these horrific injuries make me miss Mutant League Football

Stu Pidasso
10-21-2013, 02:19 PM
How much you want to bet this won't be acknowledged during Goodell's tenure? Just don't see him admitting his rule changes caused this.

Or, if it is, there'll be a new "hitting zone."

Heard Tunch joke about uniforms where they color the correct hitting zone (knees to neck) in red. lol

I wouldn't put it past old Roger to further fuck things up.

He won't notice or do anything until Brady/Brees/Romo/Manning gets hurt. THEN we'll see a hammer drop. All other players are expendable.

GodfatherofSoul
10-21-2013, 02:25 PM
I saw that Cushing injury and it looked awful. Another chop block that hit him at the worst possible instant.

TheWarDen86
10-22-2013, 06:29 AM
I saw that Cushing injury and it looked awful. Another chop block that hit him at the worst possible instant.

Most players would have screamed bloody murder. Not Cushing, he actually handled that with a lot of class.

Fire Haley
10-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Jermichael Finley has been diagnosed with a bruised spinal cord.

Finley is out of the ICU and has full feeling in his arms and legs. He's now going to seek more medical opinions and evaluations on how he should proceed, with football the furthest thing from his mind. Note that Ravens ILB Jameel McClain sustained what appears to be a similar injury last December and just returned to game action in Week 7

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/273960/jermichael-finley-has-a-bruised-spinal-cord

MasterOfPuppets
10-22-2013, 04:12 PM

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3425485/cushing_medium.gif

mikegrimey
10-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Those injuries are a big blow to the texans and rams
The rams will once again have another super high draft pick
Wonder of they'll go for a qb this tie, Bradford does not look like the sure thing franchise qb he was supposed to be

kan_t
10-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Those injuries are a big blow to the texans and rams
The rams will once again have another super high draft pick
Wonder of they'll go for a qb this tie, Bradford does not look like the sure thing franchise qb he was supposed to be

14 TD, 4 INT with a 60.7 CMP%

He may not be a franchise QB but no way the Rams give him up this early after seeing how well he did before the injury.

mikegrimey
10-22-2013, 10:57 PM
14 TD, 4 INT with a 60.7 CMP%

He may not be a franchise QB but no way the Rams give him up this early after seeing how well he did before the injury.

Those aren't bad numbers but have you watched the rams at all this year?
He is awful under pressure and almost always immediately dumps the ball off when pressed or his initial reads are covered. That's not the mark of a game changing QB to me.

kan_t
10-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Those aren't bad numbers but have you watched the rams at all this year?
He is awful under pressure and almost always immediately dumps the ball off when pressed or his initial reads are covered. That's not the mark of a game changing QB to me.
Yes I did watch the Rams. I'm not arguing whether he's a franchise QB. The point is I don't think the Rams will give him up this early. This year they finally give him some weapons and he shows sign of being good.

mikegrimey
10-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Yes I did watch the Rams. I'm not arguing whether he's a franchise QB. The point is I don't think the Rams will give him up this early. This year they finally give him some weapons and he shows sign of being good.

Then we just disagree. I thought he failed to really use those weapons, granted it might not be all his fault, maybe the coaching staff or play calling isn't giving them opportunities, Tavon Austin hasn't looked like the explosive playmaker he was marketed as at all. If I were a rams fan I'd be disappointed he hasn't played better, this is his 4th season after all, how many QBs flourish into great franchise ones after their 4th season?

We have a long time to wait, but I would be surprised if the rams drafted some competition for Bradford

teegre
10-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Then we just disagree. I thought he failed to really use those weapons, granted it might not be all his fault, maybe the coaching staff or play calling isn't giving them opportunities, Tavon Austin hasn't looked like the explosive playmaker he was marketed as at all. If I were a rams fan I'd be disappointed he hasn't played better, this is his 4th season after all, how many QBs flourish into great franchise ones after their 4th season?

We have a long time to wait, but I would be surprised if the rams drafted some competition for Bradford

If I may add:

1. Jeff Fisher can't stand Bradford.

2. Drew Brees took four years to flourish.

3. After Drew Brees was chased out of San Diego, the new environment did him wonders.

Summation:
The Rams draft Hundley, and Bradford goes to the Chiefs (where Andy Reid turns him into a great (but not "elite") QB).

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2013, 11:39 AM
With regard to injuries, this from Seahawks CB Richard Sherman

Thatís why a lot of guys get frustrated with these fines and penalties, especially for the defenseless receiver rule. Nobody who chooses to play this sport should be described as defenseless. Thereís nothing we can do about it, unless you want us to just wait until these guys catch the ball and then let them come down and we tackle them. Thatís not going to happen. Now you have receivers going up to catch passes and players are hitting them with shoulder pads and guys like Chancellor and Meriweather are still getting fined. Those used to be highlight hits. Now that thereís so much public ire, the NFL is trying to punish guys and say, Hey look, we care. Itís not hurting anybody but the players by making the game more dangerous. Defensive players are used to playing fast, but now theyíre being forced to play with indecision, and indecision gets you hurt in this game....

And the next time I get hit in the head and I canít see straight, if I can, Iíll get back up and pretend like nothing happened. Maybe Iíll even get another pick in the process.

If you donít like it, stop watching.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/23/richard-sherman-seahawks-concussions-in-the-nfl/?sct=hp_t11_a1&eref=sihp

Wagen
10-23-2013, 01:03 PM
With regard to injuries, this from Seahawks CB Richard Sherman

Thatís why a lot of guys get frustrated with these fines and penalties, especially for the defenseless receiver rule. Nobody who chooses to play this sport should be described as defenseless. Thereís nothing we can do about it, unless you want us to just wait until these guys catch the ball and then let them come down and we tackle them. Thatís not going to happen. Now you have receivers going up to catch passes and players are hitting them with shoulder pads and guys like Chancellor and Meriweather are still getting fined. Those used to be highlight hits. Now that thereís so much public ire, the NFL is trying to punish guys and say, Hey look, we care. Itís not hurting anybody but the players by making the game more dangerous. Defensive players are used to playing fast, but now theyíre being forced to play with indecision, and indecision gets you hurt in this game....

And the next time I get hit in the head and I canít see straight, if I can, Iíll get back up and pretend like nothing happened. Maybe Iíll even get another pick in the process.

If you donít like it, stop watching.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/23/richard-sherman-seahawks-concussions-in-the-nfl/?sct=hp_t11_a1&eref=sihp

I read this article earlier. My thoughts were "I you don't like it, stop watching"....Don't take your kids to the game, don't let them watch it, steer them toward another sport.

That will do the future of football no good at all, when the numbers of kids coming into the game tails off.

It is not like the physicality of the sport needs to be compromised, just better coaching on how to tackle properly. It is not as if there isn't a big enough area between the shoulders and knees either.

Of course Football is never going to be risk free. But in the last two weeks there have been two severe injuries that could have easily been avoided.

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2013, 02:40 PM
I read this article earlier. My thoughts were "I you don't like it, stop watching"....Don't take your kids to the game, don't let them watch it, steer them toward another sport.

That will do the future of football no good at all, when the numbers of kids coming into the game tails off..

That is already happening

Post-Gazette ran this story last month

Football rosters dwindle with concussions as culprit

Some rosters have decreased dramatically. Mt. Lebanon has only 58 players, one of its smallest ever. Mt. Lebanon had 75 players 10 years ago. Fifteen players at the school who played as freshmen did not come out for football this season.

Woodland Hills has 62 players, compared to 94 a decade ago.

Upper St. Clair has 55 players, compared to 65 in 2003. Shaler has 19 fewer players than 2003 and Baldwin 21 fewer.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high-school-football/2013/09/06/Varsity-Xtra-Football-rosters-dwindle-with-concussions-as-culprit.html

SI MMQB is running a series of stories on the impact of concussions on football, including this story on high school football in Indiana PA

The fear of brain trauma is on everyoneís mind, and itís influencing how football is being played at all levels in the town. ...

The sidelines are thinner in terms of overall participation, and the future of the sport is being openly discussed in the crowd. Everyone seems to have an opinion on concussionsóor at least is asking questions. Iím certain that if youíd tried to engage parents in this conversation during my senior year of high school, in 2007, you wouldnít have found the same thoughtful dialogue....

And apparently the increased popularity of lacrosse as an alternative to football that I have seen in suburban Atlanta is happening elsewhere as well

What surprises me most is a conversation with David Zimmerman, a local lawyer who helped launch the high schoolís lacrosse team during the 2009-10 academic year. I spend a good chunk of the third quarter talking with him as we lean up against the chainlink fence surrounding the field, after he has just finished a conversation with two fathers about head injuries. Though lacrosse is played in the spring and doesnít conflict with football, he tells me that some in the community view it as a safer alternative to football. Since it became a varsity sport, participation has risen from 27 players in the first season to 50 this past spring. During the same time frame, football participation has dropped from 57 to 44 players. Thatís not to suggest a direct correlation, but itís a glimpse into the changing attitudes.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/22/indiana-pennsylvania-high-school-football-andy-degory/

MasterOfPuppets
10-23-2013, 03:45 PM
That is already happening

/ (http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/22/indiana-pennsylvania-high-school-football-andy-degory/)
the question is , is it fear of injury or just laziness ?
when i was a kid , every park and playground was full of kids. their was usually a waiting time to use the basketball and tennis courts. flat grassy area's big enough to be used for a sandlot football game was usually used for such on the weekends.
i don't see that anymore. :noidea:
when i see any kids now a days they usually have their nose buried in an electronic device.

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2013, 03:56 PM
when i was a kid , every park and playground was full of kids. their was usually a waiting time to use the basketball and tennis courts. flat grassy area's big enough to be used for a sandlot football game was usually used for such on the weekends.
when i see any kids now a days they usually have their nose buried in an electronic device.

It is possible but I do not believe that is the main reason

One part may be that some serious athletes only focus on one sport year round with travel teams and their sport is not football

And the increased lacrosse participation in the MMQB story indicates kids are migrating to other sports

But while you can get injured playing most sports, brain damage is not something you can put a cast on

This quote from the MMQB story expresses the concerns of many parents

If you’re an adult and you use your brain for a living, and you think your kids are going to use their brains to make a living, you’re going to think twice about whether or not they should be playing football.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/22/indiana-pennsylvania-high-school-football-andy-degory/

MasterOfPuppets
10-23-2013, 04:04 PM

bradshaw didn't exactly set the league on fire his first 4 years. and as teeg pointed out , bree's looked so bad after 3 years they drafted rivers.

mikegrimey
10-23-2013, 06:27 PM
If I may add:

1. Jeff Fisher can't stand Bradford.

2. Drew Brees took four years to flourish.

3. After Drew Brees was chased out of San Diego, the new environment did him wonders.

Summation:
The Rams draft Hundley, and Bradford goes to the Chiefs (where Andy Reid turns him into a great (but not "elite") QB).

You think Fisher hates Bradford? They passed up on the chance to get RGIII I assumed because they believed in him...

And master of puppets, Bree's wasn't bad in San Diego, but Sean Payton had sure helped him achieve the status of elite qb but SD releasing him had more to do with his injury than anything else.

We'll just have to see on Bradford, I don't think he'll wash out of the league, but I don't see him entrenched as the franchise anywhere in the future

Fire Arians
10-23-2013, 06:45 PM
fire goodell for making the game more dangerous, obviously since his stupid ass became commissioner we've been having a lot more injuries across the NFL\

making the game safer my ass

Wagen
10-25-2013, 06:08 PM

That is a valid point. I have seen something similar here too. Not sure if it is genuinely laziness, or parents always wanting to keep their kids in their sight.

I never had that problem, my parents used to wrap my sandwiches in a map.

Either way, leg breaking tackles being aired across the World in the NFL is only going to heap on the downward pressure on kids coming into Football.

"Well, at the end of your career, you may have patť for brains, or a 3D jigsaw puzzle for knee caps. Any questions?"

"When do I get started?"

sw04ca
10-27-2013, 06:05 PM
bradshaw didn't exactly set the league on fire his first 4 years. and as teeg pointed out , bree's looked so bad after 3 years they drafted rivers.
They drafted Eli Manning because they thought that Brees would be finished after his shoulder injury. They were actually pretty happy with Brees, as once they gave him some receiving weapons that weren't legendary bust David Boston, he turned that team around (with a bit of help from Tomlinson and Marty Schottenheimer).

The Chargers didn't lack belief in the ability of Drew Brees, they lacked confidence in his toughness. After all, when your team is as proverbially soft as the Chargers, why would you expect your QB to be tough?