PDA

View Full Version : We need to get Najeh Davenport now!

Rush58
09-02-2006, 05:30 PM
He was just release by the Packers. Najeh just didn't fit the new zone blocking scheme that the Packers are now running. He is the perfect fit for our style of running. The guy hits the hole hard and runs with power and he's only 27. Steelers please sign this guy!

http://packers.com/news/releases/2006/09/02/1/

Livinginthe past
09-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Well that sounds like a good call.

Davenport does have a reputation as a powerback.

I presume he was injured for quite alot last year as his carries dropped right off, but before that he was averaging over 5ypc as the relief guy.

NM

Midnightwriter07
09-02-2006, 05:48 PM
all the GB running bakcs were injured last year ... that is when Gado came into play...

This is why it suprised me that we picked up Cobbs from N.E and got rid of Kuhn and kept Staley.. Watching Davenport even in the pre season.. he looks 2 x as good as Staley and i dont see how the Steelers were going to just let him go. A back like Davenport would be salvating to get behind our line and have a chance to run the ball. I hope we would pick him up but given that the team has a hard on for Staley at this point makes it seem like is not in plans. He would be a great compliment to Parker if we could get him.

Koopa
09-02-2006, 06:09 PM
i think we all just need to get over the power run game.....and get used to the fact that we are changing just like everyone else. speed is about to take over the nfl completely. and you can see that with the direction the steelers are heading in

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 06:13 PM
No thanks.

Unless we want him to take dookies inside Porter's locker?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0708/1403417.html

I'll pass on Najeh Daven:poop:

floodcitygirl
09-02-2006, 06:19 PM
No thanks.

Unless we want him to take dookies inside Porter's locker?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0708/1403417.html

I'll pass.Yuck!!! :screwy:

Midnightwriter07
09-02-2006, 06:23 PM
It is not just speed... it is not just having a Power back either.. i think you need both.
I would love to have davenport on this team, just as i would have loved to have Duckett... and we did go after Duckett so i dont think out philosophy has changed as far as what we want to do and i dont care what other NFL teams are doing.. we went 15-1 and then won the SuperBowl with having a power running game while other teams didnt do so well.... so maybe we are the ones doing it right as we have been. Look what happened when we tried to "changed" a few years back and do what other NFL teams were doing. I like it how we do it and have been doing it until that proves to be disasterous.

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 06:26 PM
The Interview

Rooney: "So son we hear you like to #$%& in closets...."

Davenpoop: "Fo shizzle"

Rooney: "Your signed!!!"

:bouncy:

Midnightwriter07
09-02-2006, 06:26 PM
lol we keep players who beat up thier wife ...

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 06:27 PM
lol we keep players who beat up thier wife ...

So let's add on to the roster. Why not. :rolleyes:

Wake me when we sign Davenpoop.

Midnightwriter07
09-02-2006, 06:28 PM
if keeping a wife beater... you cant go much lower than that so i dont see why not

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Completely missed my point. Why add on more troubles exactly?

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Also, I believe the Holmes situation would be just a tad bit different than bringing in a guy who we did not draft with our #1 choice this offseason.

If I'm wrong and we sign the Poopster, shame on me for six months and I will wear a funny little hat.

Midnightwriter07
09-02-2006, 06:36 PM
well i belive it was 4 years ago that happened... is not like was something that just happened....

and i am just saying if you are gonna use that as a reason not to have him... then i just think that someone physically abusing thier wife and beating the crap out of them is a lil more serious than crapping in someone closer when you are drunk ( not that i have ever done that and nor would i tell if i ever had) I just think what Holmes has done and what alot of others have done is alot more of a serious violation of the law than doin a Dookie in someones closet lol ... Is kinda funny to me, since it wasnt my closet of course. He is a good, powerful runner who i think we could benifit from having when Parker isnt able to get going.

I dont know if everyone forgets or not, but there were times last year when Parker could not get anything going and the Bus came in and did some damage and moved the chains.
I really think his spark is what started us on that run against Chicago... I love Parker.. i just think we are screwed IFFFF he cant get anything going against a team like the Ravens where you have more sucess running right up in the middle and taking Lewis n Comp head on and wearing them down. Is just my opinion.

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Hey, if he is reformed and doesn't &$%# in women's closets anymore, more power to him. Personally, I would rather not take the gamble and add more problems to the roster. You would love to have him, more power to you.

If we sign him I will stick to my promise on post #13. :bouncy:

19ward86
09-02-2006, 06:42 PM
he could be a good addition if we released staley and haynes. sorry guys but i liked haynes as a full back more than a tail back. i think kuhn,davenport, parker, and humes would of been a great lineup. not in that order though.

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Personally, Humes didn't show me all that much and I'm not as hard up as some over Kuhn's showing against a bunch of scrubs.

I'll take Parker, Haynes, Staley and Cobb.

Midnightwriter07
09-02-2006, 06:45 PM
I am not a huge fan of haynes other than he plays on the steelers so of course i like him, but i havnt yet come to any realizations that he would be the man if Parker went down so i am not so high on him .. I like him as he seves his purpose a draw play or screen play back .. i dont see him as a feature back of any type. I too liked or did like the thought of Kihn being on this team but since they cut him.. i would love to have Sir Dookie.

Midnightwriter07
09-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Trie .. Kuhn maybe have been running over scrubs, but from the standpoint of that Staley wasnt even able to do that .. makes Staley even less impressive and to me was why we should have kept Kihn, at least he was giving 110 percent out there and giving it his all... i didnt feel that with Staley and was dissapointing to me and now to hear that he may not even be activated on game day makes it worse.

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 06:49 PM
My silly little hat...........

http://www.smoothtrader.com/asia2you/ItemPics/Children_Made_Vietnamese3089.jpg :bouncy: :sofunny:

Midnightwriter07
09-02-2006, 06:49 PM
lmaaoooooooooooooooooooooooo

Rush58
09-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Let me get this straight, Davenport is bad move and yet leaving Staley on the roster and trading for a 5'8 running back is a better move?

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Let me get this straight, Davenport is bad move and yet leaving Staley on the roster and trading for a 5'8 running back is a better move?

No, trading for a guy who also doesn't have the best injury record and enjoys/enjoyed pooping in girls closets tends to turn me off just a tad.

That's just my reason on why I wouldn't want him.

If you want the FO's opinion and reasons please write to or call

100 Art Rooney Avenue
Pittsburgh, Pa 15212
(412) 323-1919

Midnightwriter07
09-02-2006, 06:59 PM
is not a trade ...

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 07:00 PM
(INSERT NAME HERE) is available. Let's sign him!!!

After picking up Cobbs, keeping Staley and the praise Cowher gives Haynes every time his name is brought up during local interviews is reason enough for me to believe that we are not going to go out and sign another HB. On top of that, the cutting of the "Almighty" Kuhn and Humes.

Rush58
09-02-2006, 07:13 PM
If you want the FO's opinion and reasons please write to or call

100 Art Rooney Avenue
Pittsburgh, Pa 15212
(412) 323-1919

lol

BlackNGold203
09-02-2006, 08:18 PM

After picking up Cobbs, keeping Staley and the praise Cowher gives Haynes every time his name is brought up during local interviews is reason enough for me to believe that we are not going to go out and sign another HB. On top of that, the cutting of the "Almighty" Kuhn and Humes.

I know!!!!

Lets bail out Maurice Clarett!!!!

:sofunny: :sofunny:

Steelknife
09-02-2006, 08:29 PM
You guys are seriously down on a guy because he shit in a closet while in college? Please tell me thats a joke? Christ, lets cut all of our players who have ever done anything wrong. We don't want turds (pun intended) on our roster.

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 08:31 PM
You guys are seriously down on a guy because he shit in a closet while in college? Please tell me thats a joke? Christ, lets cut all of our players who have ever done anything wrong. We don't want turds (pun intended) on our roster.

Post #25.

Here I am thinking.........."You guys are seriously ready to sign anybody and everybody because of four preseason games in which zero game planning took place?". It's normal though. It happens every year around this time. People panic and start throwing out names to sign. I recall it happening last year when we came out of a HORRIBLE preseason showing and well...........the final result is now history.

Steelknife
09-02-2006, 08:38 PM
I don't see how someone can claim to know football in one breath and say Duce Staley is a better option than Najeh Davenport in the other.

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 08:42 PM
I don't see how someone can claim to know football in one breath and say Duce Staley is a better option than Najeh Davenport in the other.

Well, if you are referring to me (quotes work wonders), I stated I do not want Davenport on this roster nor do I see the Steelers picking up Davenport. Nevermind the character issues, the guy hasn't exactly been the poster child of healthy backs either. In my opinion I have no problem going with what we have right now and drafting a back next season. Maybe I'm not as paranoid as some when it comes to our running game?

Steelknife
09-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Not you, just in general. I don't see how Staley has any supporters left outside of the fact he wears a Steeler jersey. I'll support him because of that, but not because of anything he's shown.

Ambridge
09-02-2006, 09:07 PM

The real head scratcher is making a move for an undersize rookie running back who's going to be starting off on square one at the start of the season picking up a new offense.
I'm not sold on Haynes........he has an injury "history" that could rear its ugly head.
Duce will be injured and or unproductive.

All potatos and no meat with this group of running backs.

paw-n-maul-u
09-04-2006, 10:32 AM
lmaaoooooooooooooooooooooooo

agreed. Didn't davenpoop have some sort of incident with taking a dump in a girls closet ... I'm pretty sure anyways ...

Black@Gold Forever32
09-04-2006, 10:45 AM
People need to just sit back and relax. I trust the Steelers front office. I don't want Davenport. Sure he could be a powerback that we need. But I like this P. Cobbs kid. People doubted Willie Parker last year. All Willie Parker did was rush for 1200 yards and set a Super Bowl record in his first season as a starter. I know Cobbs is a Parker clone. But when Willie needs a break and some rest. We now can replace speed with speed. Plus from what I have heard and read. This Cobbs kid can catch the pigskin.

clevestinks
09-04-2006, 11:20 AM
[i think we all just need to get over the power run game.....and get used to the fact that we are changing just like everyone else. speed is about to take over the nfl completely. and you can see that with the direction the steelers are heading in

Thank You, the voice of reason!

Besides even out of shape Staley should be good for three or four one yard carries a game. Hell I know he makes enough cash for that! Its the least he could do!!!!!!!!11

jaysta
09-04-2006, 08:59 PM
It is not just speed... it is not just having a Power back either.. i think you need both.
I would love to have davenport on this team, just as i would have loved to have Duckett... and we did go after Duckett so i dont think out philosophy has changed as far as what we want to do and i dont care what other NFL teams are doing.. we went 15-1 and then won the SuperBowl with having a power running game while other teams didnt do so well.... so maybe we are the ones doing it right as we have been. Look what happened when we tried to "changed" a few years back and do what other NFL teams were doing. I like it how we do it and have been doing it until that proves to be disasterous.

This logic makes alot of sense MW and I hope that the Steelers will use this same thinking. I too remember when we tried to go with the style of play that the other team's used and we didn't see many post season games. I'm not sure if Davenport's the answer just because of his past record (7 TD's and barely 1,000 yds in 4 years with the NFL). Yeah he was Green's backup most of that time and hurt some, so maybe it's just getting into the right system. It comes down to money as well as player's ability too don't forget, so that's why a guy like Kuhn had an edge in my opinion. We'll see!

SteelCzar76
09-04-2006, 09:11 PM
I've got a wacky idea,.....let's win another World Title with Willie rushing for 1500 yard's. And then move up in the first round and take Michael Bush. How's that sound ?LOL

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"

Midnightwriter07
09-04-2006, 09:25 PM
will Bush even be in the NFl draft ?? I think he still has another year left he can play

SteelCzar76
09-04-2006, 09:44 PM
will Bush even be in the NFl draft ?? I think he still has another year left he can play

This was supposed to be his senior year Knight. I'm with you on the dual threat backfield. I think this kid would be a monstrous compliment to Parker.

Midnightwriter07
09-04-2006, 09:46 PM
i heard the coach or someone saying, we will have to get his leg healed and he is looking forward to coming back next year... he get a medical redshirt since it wa first game ? Could be wrong..

SteelCzar76
09-04-2006, 09:58 PM
i heard the coach or someone saying, we will have to get his leg healed and he is looking forward to coming back next year... he get a medical redshirt since it wa first game ? Could be wrong..

Ahhh yes,... the dreaded Redshirt. Maybe this injury will make him decide to cut his losses and go pro. Because if he rehabs well and can perform well at the combine. He'll still go first round. (ie Antonio Cromartie). Which i think is very possible, as it was just a break with no ligament damage.