PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Sign WR Gabriel From Raiders

Livinginthe past
09-02-2006, 06:38 PM
The Patriots have signed Doug Gabriel from the Raiders for (yet another) undisclosed draft pick.

Gabriel was scheduled to start opposite Moss this year, so this move comes as a pretty big surprise.

Gabriel offers a nice downfield threat, and would have been a nice pick up regardless of the Branch situation.

Personally speaking, im pretty pumped - I alwys thought they had a powerful WR corps in Oakland, but that they didnt have the O-LIne or QB to do it justice.

Hopefully we make some news on what the deal was worth to the Raiders some time soon.

Early indications/rumors hint at it being a 5th which is too good to be true surely - my guess would be a 3rd or a 2nd worst case scenario.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9634327

NM

BlackNGold203
09-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Bye Bye Branch

Livinginthe past
09-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Bye Bye Branch

I would go along with that theory.

There is alot of this still 'up in the air' at the moment, but i'd expect us to get a 1st rounder from Seattle or whoever for Deion.

Then if the rumors of the 5th rounder for Gabriel are true I think we will have made out like Bandits on this one.

There is one very classy yet pissed raiders fan posting the Patriots forum at the moment - he is hoping it was a second rounder.

Bye Bye Branch indeed.

NM

boLT fan
09-02-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm interested to see what silver & black has to say about this. I was under the impression that the Raiders fans and the organization were really liking Gabriel right now. Really odd move, and another sign Al Davis is losing it.

silver & black
09-03-2006, 11:30 AM
I would go along with that theory.

There is alot of this still 'up in the air' at the moment, but i'd expect us to get a 1st rounder from Seattle or whoever for Deion.

Then if the rumors of the 5th rounder for Gabriel are true I think we will have made out like Bandits on this one.

There is one very classy yet pissed raiders fan posting the Patriots forum at the moment - he is hoping it was a second rounder.

Bye Bye Branch indeed.

NM

No offense LITP, but how do you figure you made out like bandits? Gabriel would have been a free agent next year, and likely would not have been resigned. We got a draft pick for him now, as opposed to letting him walk for nothing next year.

You got a serviceable WR... nothing special. I like Gabriel, but with the depth at WR that we have, it is not a big loss. You need him more than we do.

We are racking up quite a few draft picks with various trades... always useful to have.

BlackNGold203
09-03-2006, 11:49 AM
No offense LITP, but how do you figure you made out like bandits? Gabriel would have been a free agent next year, and likely would not have been resigned. We got a draft pick for him now, as opposed to letting him walk for nothing next year.

You got a serviceable WR... nothing special. I like Gabriel, but with the depth at WR that we have, it is not a big loss. You need him more than we do.

We are racking up quite a few draft picks with various trades... always useful to have.

Good points......:cool: :cool:

silver & black
09-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Wow! talk about getting your wires crossed! I was thinking about Danny Clark while responding about Doug Gabriel... sorry.:dang:

Other than Gabriel NOT being a free agent next year, I still think we did alright with this trade. It seems that Porter is back to being a "team" guy" so that would have dropped Gabriel down to #3. With Gabriel gone, Curry is slated to play the slot... if he stays healthy :rolleyes: .

We have Moss, Porter, Curry, Morant and Whitted. Both Curry and Morant will be better WR's than Gabriel.

Livinginthe past
09-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Wow! talk about getting your wires crossed! I was thinking about Danny Clark while responding about Doug Gabriel... sorry.:dang:

Other than Gabriel NOT being a free agent next year, I still think we did alright with this trade. It seems that Porter is back to being a "team" guy" so that would have dropped Gabriel down to #3. With Gabriel gone, Curry is slated to play the slot... if he stays healthy :rolleyes: .

We have Moss, Porter, Curry, Morant and Whitted. Both Curry and Morant will be better WR's than Gabriel.

Hey S&B,

Glad you got your wires uncrossed - it could have been a pretty confusing thread otherwise heh heh.

Anyway, the feeling in Oakland (as far as message board goes) is that alot of Raiders fans feel robbed if it is only a 5th round pick.

I think alot of them feel a fair deal would have been a second rounder - which I wouldn't have been too unhappy about myself - seeing as the guy was scheduled to start as part of one of the deepest WR units in the league.

Anything less than a second rounder and I feel that we are ahead on the deal - as I say it shouldn't hurt the raiders too much - they are very deep in this area.

NM

silver & black
09-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey S&B,

Glad you got your wires uncrossed - it could have been a pretty confusing thread otherwise heh heh.

Anyway, the feeling in Oakland (as far as message board goes) is that alot of Raiders fans feel robbed if it is only a 5th round pick.

I think alot of them feel a fair deal would have been a second rounder - which I wouldn't have been too unhappy about myself - seeing as the guy was scheduled to start as part of one of the deepest WR units in the league.

Anything less than a second rounder and I feel that we are ahead on the deal - as I say it shouldn't hurt the raiders too much - they are very deep in this area.

NM

I know a lot of Raider fans aren't happy with the trade, Gabs was a popular player. The only reason he was slated to start opposite Moss was because of the Porter situation. That seems to have taken care of itself.

I'm not too sure anyone would have given up a second rounder for him. Some fans tend to think a little too highly of their own players. As I said, he is a decent WR, but nothing special.

To tell you the truth, I would have rather kept Gabriel and traded Alvis Whitted. It is rumored that Whitted is an Al favorite... you can come to your own conclusion over that.

At any rate, it's a done deal. I hope he does well with the Pats... he always worked hard for us, and I'd like to see him succeed.

Livinginthe past
09-03-2006, 03:40 PM
I know a lot of Raider fans aren't happy with the trade, Gabs was a popular player. The only reason he was slated to start opposite Moss was because of the Porter situation. That seems to have taken care of itself.

I'm not too sure anyone would have given up a second rounder for him. Some fans tend to think a little too highly of their own players. As I said, he is a decent WR, but nothing special.

To tell you the truth, I would have rather kept Gabriel and traded Alvis Whitted. It is rumored that Whitted is an Al favorite... you can come to your own conclusion over that.

At any rate, it's a done deal. I hope he does well with the Pats... he always worked hard for us, and I'd like to see him succeed.

Thanks man. I heard he has a good attitude and works hard - its a good place to start.

Best of luck for the regular season opener if I dont see you around here before next weekend!

NM

silver & black
09-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks man. I heard he has a good attitude and works hard - its a good place to start.

Best of luck for the regular season opener if I dont see you around here before next weekend!

NM

Ok, this is the last post on this subject for me. It turns out I was right about Gabriel being a free agent next year so, the trade makes more sense.

Man... being right, then wrong, then right is tiring! My brain is fried from trying to keep track of all the cuts and trades. :sofunny:

Best of luck to you in your opener too.

tony hipchest
12-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Gabriel offers a nice downfield threat, and would have been a nice pick up regardless of the Branch situation.

Personally speaking, im pretty pumped - I alwys thought they had a powerful WR corps in Oakland, but that they didnt have the O-LIne or QB to do it justice.

Hopefully we make some news on what the deal was worth to the Raiders some time soon.

Early indications/rumors hint at it being a 5th which is too good to be true surely - my guess would be a 3rd or a 2nd worst case scenario.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9634327

NM

and the patriots cut doug gabriel today. obviously patscamp's wr situation is worse than they let on.

i still dont see how the seahawks thought a 1st rounder for d. branch was fair market value when donte stallworth was aquired for a 3rd. (they have almost exactly the same career #'s). and i cant see why the pats werent more proactive in trading for a bona fide #1 like stallworth, knowing they were gonna give branch the boot.

i guess even mgmt drank the kool-aid thinking brady can turn any wr into a sb mvp.

oh and the raiders reclaimed d. gabriel so it looks like they did alright, renting out a player for several months for a 5th round pick

Livinginthe past
12-13-2006, 06:49 PM
There is alot of speculation about why Gabriel was cut, of course you wont get much in the way of information from Belichick.

Gabriel himself would be the most likely source, should he decide to speak out - but im guessing he must have done something pretty inexcuseable to be cut at this stage of the year with the Patriots WR corps in some disarray.

My own personal guess is that he didnt like losing playing time and refused to buy into the 'team-first' philosophy - it has to be presumed he was/would be a negative lockeroom influence for the remainder of the year.

Its true that the Patriots 'lean' on Brady - they put alot of pressure on him raise the game of the WR's on his team - its been reasonably successful in the past.

NM

tony hipchest
12-13-2006, 07:02 PM
There is alot of speculation about why Gabriel was cut, of course you wont get much in the way of information from Belichick.

Gabriel himself would be the most likely source, should he decide to speak out - but im guessing he must have done something pretty inexcuseable to be cut at this stage of the year with the Patriots WR corps in some disarray.

My own personal guess is that he didnt like losing playing time and refused to buy into the 'team-first' philosophy - it has to be presumed he was/would be a negative lockeroom influence for the remainder of the year.

Its true that the Patriots 'lean' on Brady - they put alot of pressure on him raise the game of the WR's on his team - its been reasonably successful in the past.

NMi didnt even consider him being cut related to attitude issues. i just figured it was due to perfomance issues. but that makes sense. its not like the pats have a whole lot of options and gabriel wass pretty much groomed in a culture of losing. being a part of a culture of winning was probably difficult. on a sidenote the colts made the desperation signing of the year in getting rickey proehl, especially considering the untimely season ending injury to b. stokely. no matter what, proehl always seems used to, and has been groomed in the culture of winners. i always thought he wouldve fit in nicely with what the pats do. (he has a weekly spot with t. ryan and p. kirwan on sirius radio and both have been amazed he hasnt been signed up to this point. he has always remained ready but was holding out for the panthers to re sign him. money seemed to be a part of him not signing with a team earlier too)

Livinginthe past
12-13-2006, 07:56 PM
i didnt even consider him being cut related to attitude issues. i just figured it was due to perfomance issues. but that makes sense. its not like the pats have a whole lot of options and gabriel wass pretty much groomed in a culture of losing. being a part of a culture of winning was probably difficult. on a sidenote the colts made the desperation signing of the year in getting rickey proehl, especially considering the untimely season ending injury to b. stokely. no matter what, proehl always seems used to, and has been groomed in the culture of winners. i always thought he wouldve fit in nicely with what the pats do. (he has a weekly spot with t. ryan and p. kirwan on sirius radio and both have been amazed he hasnt been signed up to this point. he has always remained ready but was holding out for the panthers to re sign him. money seemed to be a part of him not signing with a team earlier too)

Proehl is certainly a solid WR, if we have Troy Brown as out No.2 receiver you can't really rule out Ricky due purely to age issues - I dont know why they didn't pursure this option.

Possibly, as you say, money was an issue - maybe he just didnt want to play for a team that beat his in two SB's..who knows?!

With the problems the Panthers had with WR production while Steve Smith was out its hard to say why Proehl wasn't back in a Panthers jersey - again maybe money and/or contact guarantes were a stumbling block.

Im amazed at the big deal the Colts fanbase is making about Stokely, even if he is arguably the best slot WR in the NFL (or at least the most talented) I think having a tandem of Marvin H. and and Reggie W. should discount 'WR' as being a problem area.

NM

tony hipchest
12-13-2006, 08:25 PM
With the problems the Panthers had with WR production while Steve Smith was out its hard to say why Proehl wasn't back in a Panthers jersey - again maybe money and/or contact guarantes were a stumbling block.

NM while he didnt come out and say it, it was pretty much a pride issue with the panthers. they made the decision to release him, and didnt want to admit their mistake by chasing after him. there were teams willing to sign him, but at this stage of his life and career he felt he was worth a little bit more than the league vet minimum. i dont know if he broke down on his asking price to be a part of the colts or if they ponied up and gave him a little more than the league minimum. im thinking he took the minimum to be part of a playoff run

Livinginthe past
12-13-2006, 09:22 PM
while he didnt come out and say it, it was pretty much a pride issue with the panthers. they made the decision to release him, and didnt want to admit their mistake by chasing after him. there were teams willing to sign him, but at this stage of his life and career he felt he was worth a little bit more than the league vet minimum. i dont know if he broke down on his asking price to be a part of the colts or if they ponied up and gave him a little more than the league minimum. im thinking he took the minimum to be part of a playoff run

Keep that stuff in Blast Furnace :wink02:

NM

silver & black
12-14-2006, 06:44 PM
So, we basicaly rented him to the Pats and got a free draft pick.

Livinginthe past
12-14-2006, 07:10 PM
So, we basicaly rented him to the Pats and got a free draft pick.

That is probably the best summary.

Its frustrating not knowing what happened because he looked like a nice fit - good hands, good pace - an alleged good work ethic.

Anywho - i'll be watching who the Raiders take with that 5th rounder :wink02:

NM