PDA

View Full Version : Charles Rogers?? Any takers?

clevestinks
09-02-2006, 08:12 PM
I suppose someone would ask so here it goes. Since Detroit has finally cut Charles Rogers, is he worth a look? With Hines hurt, who knows?

I wouldn`t!

BlackNGold203
09-02-2006, 08:13 PM
He'll have a job...but not here....:cool: :cool:

Midnightwriter07
09-02-2006, 08:17 PM
If we cut Morgan i cant see us signing Rogers... only a team desperate for receivers is going to sign him because of his injury's every year and also he is said to have an attitude .. Played in Detroit though, so who knows. I imagine anyone playing for detroit the past 5 years or so would have a bad one... Maybe a team will that has crappy 4h or 5th receivers at the moment. Not us

43Hitman
09-02-2006, 08:20 PM
I honestly think we are good at reciever. We have lots of young talent and just cut Morgan. Rogers will most definitly get a job somewhere, maybe Minnesota or Seattle. We don't need Rogers. In my opinion he is a border line first round bust.

Lyn
09-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Charles Rogers was a wonderful athlete at Michigan State, he was an absolute marvel to watch BUT when he went to Detriot, he was like a different person. He had continuous injuries as you all know, however, he did develop a terrible attitude. He became "lazy" no the Steeler please do not want him. :bouncy:

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 08:26 PM
No concerns at WR for me. Then again I don't have many if any concerns heading into this season. Definately not after four preseason games in which I believe the suicide rate in Steelers country jumped just a tad. Let somebody else take him. Nevermind the fact that he's a lazy punk and has a history with injuries, I don't feel we need anybody at WR.

Man_Of_Steel
09-02-2006, 10:29 PM
No concerns at WR for me. Then again I don't have many if any concerns heading into this season. Definately not after four preseason games in which I believe the suicide rate in Steelers country jumped just a tad. Let somebody else take him. Nevermind the fact that he's a lazy punk and has a history with injuries, I don't feel we need anybody at WR.

I'm concerned. Only 2 experienced WR's on this team in Ward and Wilson. I see the Steelers picking an experienced WR with speed.

Elvis
09-03-2006, 05:57 AM
No.. I dont see us pickin' him up.. but someone with some discipline at head coach might could change this young mans attitude.. I see him surfacing somewhere in that NFC North or maybe even Oakland they have been known to pick up old vets.. not to say that Rogers is old because he isnt.. but he needs a new start and the Raiders are young enough to start over with..
God Bless Ya'll
Elvis

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Ward and Wilson.

Washington, who proved to me last season that he's capable of playing at the NFL level.

Reid and Holmes who I feel will only get better and better as the season progresses.

We can also throw in Mr. Miller if we want and while we are it, Haynes on a screen pass.

I'm not concerned with our passing game.

BlackNGold203
09-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Ward and Wilson.

Washington, who proved to me last season that he's capable of playing at the NFL level.

Reid and Holmes who I feel will only get better and better as the season progresses.

We can also throw in Mr. Miller if we want and while we are it, Haynes on a screen pass.

I'm not concerned with our passing game.

OMG...83!!!!!

Are you saying we can win without jacobs, kuhn, and morgan??????

Are you saying we can win with Duce Staley on the team????

HAVE YOU GONE MAD???????????????????

:cool: :cool:

LambertIsGod58
09-03-2006, 10:00 AM
First of all, let me remind you that Bettis was labled as a troubled player when we got him from the Rams...Secondly, Rogers showed promise in the beginning of his rookie year. If he was healthy, I'd take a chance on him. Cowher could change his attitude. Barry Sanders didn't want to play in Detroit....Why would anyone else?

SteelCzar76
09-03-2006, 10:13 AM
First of all, let me remind you that Bettis was labled as a troubled player when we got him from the Rams...Secondly, Rogers showed promise in the beginning of his rookie year. If he was healthy, I'd take a chance on him. Cowher could change his attitude. Barry Sanders didn't want to play in Detroit....Why would anyone else?

Finally a voice of reason and objectivity. Sure we are loaded at wide Reciever. But Hines is the only Elite playmaker.
The young guys have a ton of upside,....but they are not there yet. And c'mon,.... Cedrick Wilson,....is simply average at the VERY BEST.

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold"

clevestinks
09-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Now that Morgan is gone, I would love to p/u somebody.

I see Rogers going to the ratbirds

BlackNGold203
09-03-2006, 10:59 AM
If we're going to pick up a wide receiver who was cut yesterday, I'd rather see the FO pick up Peter Warrick. But that's just my opinion.

i'd take Rogers over Warrick.....

Mosca
09-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Didn't Rogers sit out some games for violating the substance abuse policy? I think that would make him a non-Steeler right there.

Tom

Lyn
09-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Yeah he did Tom. When he was not sitting out because of injury.

SteelCzar76
09-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Didn't Rogers sit out some games for violating the substance abuse policy? I think that would make him a non-Steeler right there.

Tom

If you played for the Lions,.....you'd probably partake of the "stickiest of the ickey" LOL
And also,....in reference to being "Non-Steeler" material. Your saying that no Steeler of the past or PRESENT has or does smoke weed ?..... STOP PLAYIN.
Do i personally advise it ? No,....but i'm not nieve enough to believe that it doesn't happen and that there are'nt some player's of considerable ability and success that do so.
The injury woe's are one thing,.....judgment of another's character requires a far greater amount qualification and actual knowledge of the person or person's in question.

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold"

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2006, 02:22 PM

So......

Attitude problem.

Suspension for substance abuse.

Injury problems.

I actually forgot about the substance abuse problems. While I don't see the Steelers signing him, I'm sure somebody will pick him and maybe he can turn himself around. I'll still stick with "No thanks and I'm content with our WR core.".

SteelCzar76
09-03-2006, 02:43 PM
So......

Attitude problem.

Suspension for substance abuse.

Injury problems.

I actually forgot about the substance abuse problems. While I don't see the Steelers signing him, I'm sure somebody will pick him and maybe he can turn himself around. I'll still stick with "No thanks and I'm content with our WR core.".

I can understand your optimism 83,.....but i can't say i'm anywhere near "content" with any of our recievers that aren't Hines Ward.
Not saying we will or should go after Rodger's,.....but if we were to sign him to a heavily incentive laden short term contract i wouldn't be mad at all.
Because from a purely "Football" point of view,....he's a considerable upgrade over marginal players like Ced, and Nate.
Who know's,.... perhaps playing in a tough, disciplined, and winning enviroment such as ours would be just what the kid needs to fulfil his playing potential.

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Wilson looked fine to me since the second half of last season up until now.

Hines Ward is well.....Hines Ward.

Washington looked fine to me ever since the Bronco's playoff game.

Holmes and Reid will develope.

Haynes on screens.

Heath Miller.

I'll start being concerned if Holmes and Reid start dropping balls and if Wilson starts looking like Wilson in the first eight games of last season. Until then, I'm content. I really haven't seen a reason or reasons to not be content. When our first string offense was out on the field I thought it looked very nice (Ben to Wilson in particular). I'm just curious to see what it looks like when we actually start game planning.

SteelCzar76
09-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Wilson looked fine to me since the second half of last season up until now.

Hines Ward is well.....Hines Ward.

Washington looked fine to me ever since the Bronco's playoff game.

Holmes and Reid will develope.

Haynes on screens.

Heath Miller.

I'll start being concerned if Holmes and Reid start dropping balls and if Wilson starts looking like Wilson in the first eight games of last season. Until then, I'm content. I really haven't seen a reason or reasons to not be content. When our first string offense was out on the field I thought it looked very nice (Ben to Wilson in particular). I'm just curious to see what it looks like when we actually start game planning.

I'm anxious to see how we do with actual game planning as well. I'm almost certain that Santonio and Willie will develop nicely. But it's just something about Ced that doesn't move me,.....he's okay,....but clumsy,...and when we play teams with stout secondary's,... he almost vanishes into thin air (with the exception of the T'd catch in Denver).
I'm just tired of having to resort to gadget plays to be able to pass the ball come playoff time. Because Hines is the only elite receiver on the field. And as far as Nate,.....i just don't think he's physical enough,...and question his ability to get off jams and block.
Would i like for these cat's to pan out this year and give Ben a "Yancey, Hastings, Ernie Mill's core"? certainly,.....but i just don't see that with Ced and Nate.
Hopefully,...i'm wrong,..... cause they're all we have got as of now.

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold

Mosca
09-03-2006, 05:45 PM
And also,....in reference to being "Non-Steeler" material. Your saying that no Steeler of the past or PRESENT has or does smoke weed ?....

I was going to elaborate, but I wanted to see if anyone followed up like you did.

It's one thing to accept and deal with the problems of players you know, it's another thing to take on an unknown player with problems. If your own has substance problems, you're OK dealing with it; but would you adopt a player with substance problems?

I don't see our team needing to take on any risky players, AT ALL. I think Nate Washington is on the verge of a breakout season. I think the two youngsters are going to be great. Really, we have phenomenal talent at WR. It's not like it has been in the past. This team is on the verge of greatness; we're as deep as a team can be in the free agent era. We could use another strong back, but let's see what happens when the games start counting and we bring a game plan with us.

Tom

noto45
09-04-2006, 12:00 PM
thats a HUGE hellno

Steel12
09-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Charles Rogers would be a good addition to the WRs we have now. I don't see how he couldn't come in and compete for the #3 job. Big, fast and is talented...IMO his other problems would go away if he was with a positive squad such as ourselves.

SteelCityMan786
09-04-2006, 01:37 PM
NEVER NEVER NEVER BRING IN CHARLES ROGERS. It would be a waste of Money. The Dolphins are definantly wasting money with Joey Harrington. Why should we waste our money on a joke.

19ward86
09-04-2006, 05:34 PM
cough...horrible....cough cough

FSUBoo
09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
I really can't see us picking up Rogers for 2 reasons. 1) The attitude that he is said to have is something that Pittsburgh's front office tends to avoid, and 2) the Steelers never spend big on any free agent. If we would have went after a wide reciever, I feel like we would have in free agency, and also that we wouldn't have drafted Santonio Holmes.

On another note, I liked Chad Jackson a little more in what I saw of him, but I'm not gonna question the front office's decision making. That's why I'm a fan, and they are actually working for the Steelers. They are paid to do a whole lot more research on players.