PDA

View Full Version : Future change

devin7558
10-31-2013, 12:25 PM
The front office has handcuffed themselves to the dwindling years of players past their primes. The transformation of this team will only happen if they are willing to see the current roster for what it is....average.

The team can't improve if it doesn't have flexibility within the salary cap.

For all the genius accolades that have been heaped upon the front office for restructuring contracts, that approach has not helped and has IMO set the franchise back 2-3 years.

Keep Colbert and Tomlin. Colbert had a solid draft in 2013. Jarvis, Bell, Wheaton, Vince Williams and Nick Williams all look like quality picks. Even recent successes like Antonio Brown in the 6th and Kelvin Beachum in the 7th in previous drafts demonstrate that Colbert still has an eye for this.

Haley needs to go, he's predictable and doesn't mesh with his best offensive players (Ben, Antonio Brown etc...) they need a young fresh mind who can play to the strengths of the offense and unite this group. Set the run up with the pass. Anything is better than the current philosophy. Zone blocking looks like a failure for this group as we'll. Rethink the approach.

Roster changes need to be made. Lamar Woodley, Ryan Clark, Brett Keisel and Larry Foote all need to be sent packing. Possible others may leave via free agency such as Emmanuelle Sanders, Ziggy Hood and Jason Worilds. This relieves some cap space.

I view Jarvis as Woodleys replacement, Keisel is often injured but could be welcomed back on a bargain contract, and if Hood would do the same I would retain him.
The others can walk. They're average at best.

The team has no identity. It's not physical, it's not intimidating. It's not Steelers football. Let Ben be the unquestioned leader. Look to draft an impact player with this years likely top 10 pick. Someone like Anthony Barr or Louis Nix. Grab a value weapon in the second round if someone like North Carolina TE Eric Ebron or Vandy WR Jordan Mathews slips through the first.

If the pick is in the top 3 or 4 in the first round consider making a move for Marcus Mariota if he declares, Bridgewater or Jadaveon Clowney if either slips. Get creative. The same old same is not working in today's NFL.

IowaSteeler927
11-04-2013, 02:43 AM
We've got much more glaring issues than QB right now. We shouldn't waste our first pick on a QB.

Soberdisposition
11-04-2013, 11:45 AM
No need for a QB when a lineman (O or D) will make much more of an impact. Ben isnt the problem its the team around him that is.

devin7558
11-11-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm a huge Ben supporter but ownership and the staff around him don't trust him enough to run the offense the way a QB of his acumen should. I just think it's rare we get to pick high. It's better to move back and get in rebuild mode or look toward the future in a big way. I don't think this team is a contender for the next 2-3 seasons minimum. How large of a window does Ben gave left to get another ring? To me it's either waste those years or develop an elite prospect behind him. If a top QB fell you'd have to at least consider it.