PDA

View Full Version : Why did we release Quincy ?

bozz723
09-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Am I the only guy that thinks Quincy Morgan needs to be on this team ? He's fast, big, experienced and can make plays. Every one of our receivers is below 6'0 and we could use a target like him.

Honestly quincy was a great fit for our offense, and it needed a receiver like quincy. Now we have two small receivers, Holmes, and Reid that are inexperienced and are probably slot guys.

I'm extremely dissapointedthat he got cut.

BlackNGold203
09-03-2006, 09:02 AM
"Why did we release Quincy ? "

Because our front office didnt think he was better than the WR we kept...:cool: :cool:

billcowherschin
09-03-2006, 09:40 AM
I dont have any problems with Quincy getting cut, dont forget about Nate Washington, look for him to have a blow up year

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2006, 09:42 AM
I dont have any problems with Quincy getting cut, dont forget about Nate Washington, look for him to have a blow up year

The voice of reason and the reassurance that there is a God.

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2006, 09:45 AM
It was a numbers game - Steelers were locked into keeping both WR draft picks and Nate Washington has more upside.

BlackNGold203
09-03-2006, 09:52 AM

Because our front office didnt think he was better than the WR we kept...

(Mods..this is NOT a double post..i just didnt think anyone heard me the 1st time...ohh...wait...I'm a mod....:dang: :dang: )

HometownGal
09-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Am I the only guy that thinks Quincy Morgan needs to be on this team ? He's fast, big, experienced and can make plays. Every one of our receivers is below 6'0 and we could use a target like him.

Honestly quincy was a great fit for our offense, and it needed a receiver like quincy. Now we have two small receivers, Holmes, and Reid that are inexperienced and are probably slot guys.

I'm extremely dissapointedthat he got cut.

While I'm not thrilled about it either as I think Q has talent and potential, he obviously didn't fit into the Steelers' plans this season and thems just the breaks. Trust in The Chin. :smile:

SteelShooter
09-03-2006, 10:02 AM
The voice of reason and the reassurance that there is a God.

Hear - Hear!

LambertIsGod58
09-03-2006, 10:02 AM
No...instead we kept Duce as a bench ornament....Maybe they should have Duce advertise on his back....at least he'd be earning money.

SteelShooter
09-03-2006, 10:03 AM

Because our front office didnt think he was better than the WR we kept...

(Mods..this is NOT a double post..i just didnt think anyone heard me the 1st time...ohh...wait...I'm a mod....:dang: :dang: )

LoL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelShooter
09-03-2006, 10:04 AM
No...instead we kept Duce as a bench ornament....Maybe they should have Duce advertise on his back....at least he'd be earning money.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Man, they just keep coming!!!!!

HometownGal
09-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Maybe they should have Duce advertise on his back....at least he'd be earning money.

He will be earning his money - serving Gatorade to the daddys! You gotta have a special talent for that, you know? :cool:

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2006, 10:12 AM
I agree Duce is a fat joke, but how many WRs can fit on the team? Despite his "injuries" Staley was essential in the Green Bay victory last year and is more likely to be needed this season than a sixth WR will be.

BlackNGold203
09-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Kuhn had the best hands on the team...he could have played WR!!!

Man_Of_Steel
09-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Morgan is not fast, he reminds me of Keyshawn Johnson.

HometownGal
09-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Kuhn had the best hands on the team...he could have played WR!!!

Nah - we're deep in the WR slot. I'm pissed - he could have been our 3rd QB! :blah:

Mosca
09-03-2006, 10:37 AM
I really like Quincy Morgan, I felt really comfortable with Ward/Wilson/Morgan as 1-2-3. If the staff feels that Washington is better, and Holmes and Reid have more potential, then I'm impressed.

Morgan will show up somewhere, he's good. I hope he doesn't come back to burn us.

Tom

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Nah - we're deep in the WR slot. I'm pissed - he could have been our 3rd QB! :blah:

..hmmmm.... Cohwer possibly leaving after this season..Morgan looking for a new job..you dont think......?

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-03-2006, 10:51 AM
I really like Quincy Morgan, I felt really comfortable with Ward/Wilson/Morgan as 1-2-3. If the staff feels that Washington is better, and Holmes and Reid have more potential, then I'm impressed.

Morgan will show up somewhere, he's good. I hope he doesn't come back to burn us.

Tom

all kidding aside..I love Morgan...he was a great returner, and he was as good at drawing the interference call as anyone in the NFL...I think that they just couldnt cut a youngster ..persoanlly I would have kept him on the roster as a special teamer/WR.

The_Professor
09-03-2006, 11:09 AM
I think the Steelers probably wanted to keep Quincy but found it more important to keep 4 rb's and 3 centers which personally I found very interesting and Euhis at TE because of Tuman's hamstring problem. I really liked Quincy too, I found him reliable, however depth at those other two positions was more important to the Steelers than keeping a 4th WR and solid returner. I also read that Chucky hurt his knee in the final preseason game so maybe thats why they kept Phillip or maybe they feel he has a good upside. I don't like the Morgan cut because I feel his return skills outweigh Morey's tackling skills on special teams (all the while being a significantly better receiver) but understand it completely in this context.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-03-2006, 11:21 AM
I think the Steelers probably wanted to keep Quincy but found it more important to keep 4 rb's and 3 centers which personally I found very interesting and Euhis at TE because of Tuman's hamstring problem. I really liked Quincy too, I found him reliable, however depth at those other two positions was more important to the Steelers than keeping a 4th WR and solid returner. I also read that Chucky hurt his knee in the final preseason game so maybe thats why they kept Phillip or maybe they feel he has a good upside. I don't like the Morgan cut because I feel his return skills outweigh Morey's tackling skills on special teams (all the while being a significantly better receiver) but understand it completely in this context.

Excellent point and my feelings exactly

redst3
09-03-2006, 11:53 AM
I feel his return skills outweigh Morey's tackling skills on special teams (all the while being a significantly better receiver) but understand it completely in this context.

Bingo.....at least the part about Morey. Thats the reason Quinc got cut. there was just too much competition there and they wanted the special teams help.....Otherwise I think the Staley decision is insane. I would have have even kept Frazier at linebacker or Quincy or even Omar...

Hope Duce will prove us all wrong....

LambertLunatic
09-03-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't like the Morgan cut because I feel his return skills outweigh Morey's tackling skills on special teams

Morgan is definately a good returner, but the coaches might have thought that Holmes and/or Reid can be even better returners. We can't hardly use a roster spot for a backup returner.

clevestinks
09-03-2006, 12:00 PM
I liked Q, but he did not have the best hands. I still see him against the pats last year, right before halftime, Ben hits him in full stride, right between the 1`s on his jersey, and he drops the ball. This catch was the difference we would have alot better chance of winning that game

BlackNGold203
09-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Alot of weight was placed on his 74 yd return against the Jags...but I dont recall another significant kick return by Q....

clevestinks
09-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Alot of weight was placed on his 74 yd return against the Jags...but I dont recall another significant kick return by Q....

I agree BUT, I did like his straight forward returning, not much east and west just straight up field and hope the hole developed

BlackNGold203
09-03-2006, 12:10 PM
I agree BUT, I did like his straight forward returning, not much east and west just straight up field and hope the hole developed

I'm willing to let Holmes and Reid develop that style..at twice the speed...:cool: :cool:

j-dawg
09-03-2006, 01:04 PM
just think! the next time Q-bert plays the steelers... if he scores a touchdown... you have the opportunity to watch him act like a fool as he dances around pointing his finger at the symbol on his helmet!

Chronicgaming
09-03-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm willing to let Holmes and Reid develop that style..at twice the speed...:cool: :cool:

Agreed, I'd love to see some great plays on returns this year.

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Agreed, I'd love to see some great plays on returns this year.

And I believe you will from Mr. Reid. Even though he was referring to Willie Parker at the time.........in the words of Max Starks...."That boy is extra fast!". :smile:

His acceleration is just as impressing as his speed.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-03-2006, 02:04 PM
I dont like the move but that is my heart talking and not my head....the reality is that he becomes expendible because of our talent and youth. Morgan is still a good reciever..a good returner...BUT we have better recievers and "potentially" better returners..so I'm understanding that the coaching staff is probably a hell of a lot better at assessment than I am and I am READY FOR THURSDAY!!!!

I.C. Lights
09-03-2006, 02:29 PM
I really like Morgan and I think he'd still be valuable, particularly in drawing interference penalties and on scramble plays. But there's definitely a need for speed and I have enough faith in the coaching staff to get over this one.

19ward86
09-03-2006, 05:33 PM
he was released cause he had the worst hands ever.

Midnightwriter07
09-03-2006, 05:40 PM
I am not a big Morey fan ... so i was hoping they would keep Morgan. On our special teams we have alot of speed with some of the new guys we have brought in who will be playing and i just thought Morgan was nice insurance being able to be on sp teams, receiver depth, and his 25 yrds per kick return average was not shabby. I think he givs us more than Morey so i was pushing for Morgan to stay. =(