PDA

View Full Version : IKE TAYLOR ...just signed!

Blitzburgh
09-03-2006, 04:11 PM
to 5 year deal. :chug: Let's drink ...

media3.steelers.com/

Roethlisberger extension now on deck as the next priority ..

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Very nice. Hope they have enough to sign Polamalu in the future.

Sharkissle29
09-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Very nice. Hope they have enough to sign Polamalu in the future.

i'm sure troy and ben were in their mind...whatever the deal is, im sure it'll work out for us

pittsburgh$teelersfan
09-03-2006, 04:17 PM
yipee!!!!!!!!! my boy is with the steelers for five years.:dancing: I am ready some steeler football.:bouncy: I wonder about the money part though does anyone have the details.:confused:

Koopa
09-03-2006, 04:20 PM
badas........... i'm mean cool dude, that's totally awesome. i'm so excited, wooooo hooooo. this is great news, ike has earned so much respect from me that even if he did leave for more money i wouldn't have talked shit cause he never once whined and tried to hold out or any of that other crap

tootalltoscore
09-03-2006, 04:22 PM
It is certainly the best news I have heard prior to the season. I just hope the Steelers did not go overboard on him, though if he improves as much as last year then he would have to be in the top ten cb in the league.

GO STEELERS!!

crcsnail
09-03-2006, 04:26 PM
very good news

Black@Gold Forever32
09-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I must say I'm totally shocked by this. I never thought with his agent barking for a 10 million signing bonus that Ike would be resigned before this season started. Congrats to both the Rooney's and Ike for getting this deal done. I think Ike Taylor showed what the team concept is all about by resigning with the Steelers today. We all know some owner would have gave Ike everything he wanted next year when he became a free agent.

Steelknife
09-03-2006, 04:31 PM
What a steal. Ike wasn't kidding when he said he would be a Steeler.

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2006, 04:33 PM
I just hope the Steelers did not go overboard on him

You and me both brother. I have faith that the FO knows what's up though.

TasmanianTroy271
09-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Wow, this is excellant. The contract probably has alot of incentives, like, for instance, if Ike gets hit in the hands by the ball 10 times this season with no Interceptions, he's to be tarred and feathered and traded to the Browns.

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Steelers, Ike Taylor agree to five-year deal
Sunday, September 03, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers today signed cornerback Ike Taylor to a five-year contract worth $22.5 million. It includes a $6.4 million signing bonus and erases fears that they might lose him as a free agent after this season.

The deal came four days before the club's self-imposed deadline to end all contract negotiations until the end of the season, and three days after Taylor told reporters he thought something might get done.

By extending Taylor's contract, the Steelers have no starters eligible for unrestricted free agency in 2006. Starting right tackle Max Starks will be their only restricted free agent if he does not sign a new contract before free agency starts in March.

The deal comes one week after they signed halfback Willie Parker to a four-year, $13.6 million contract with a $3.75 million signing bonus.

Taylor, a fourth-round draft choice from Louisiana-Lafayette in 2003, became their starting left cornerback at the start of last season. His 25 passes defensed led the NFL, but he acknowledged dropping about 10 interceptions. He did catch three, one during the regular season and two in the playoffs, including a big one in the Super Bowl.

Taylor, 26, has the rare combination for a cornerback of size and speed. He stands 6 feet 1, weighs 191 and can run with the better receivers in the league.

He led the Steelers with 10 tackles in the 2005 opener and continued his physical play throughout the season, finishing with 72 solo tackles, fourth on the team.

"He gets his hands on a lot of balls, has a lot of knockdowns,'' Dolphins coach Nick Saban said. "I think their two corners are really smart in how they play, and they're not easy to beat."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06246/718875-100.stm

klick81
09-03-2006, 04:50 PM
WOW! I was not expecting this!

steelcity984
09-03-2006, 04:55 PM
The Steelers will never be able to sign Taylor!

John Kuhn is the next Mike Alstott!

We will never win the Superbowl without Plaxico or with Cowher!

Steelknife
09-03-2006, 04:58 PM
We got a steal here. He woulda been paid a lot more on open market.

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2006, 04:58 PM
The Steelers will never be able to sign Taylor

Well I can't say I was exactly optimistic before today. Not many were if you heard the rumored "8-10 million dollar bonus" that Ike's agent was pulling for. On top of that the future resignings of Ben and Polamalu and recent resigning of Willie Parker. Plus the fact that the opener is four days away and the FO doesn't negotiate during the season.

Personally, I think it was perfectly understandable to have doubts about this situation.

As for your Kuhn, Plaxico and Cowher statements.........I agree.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Wow totally unexpected. I guess he meant it when he said he wanted to stay in the steel city!!

:cheers: :cheers: :chug:

Midnightwriter07
09-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Ike and his agent got smart and took the guaranteed money now like Parker did .. lets just hope it works better than the Chad Scott situation.

19ward86
09-03-2006, 05:32 PM
he is definitaly our best corner and he deserved to be resigned. he isnt the best in the league but he is definitaly in the top 10.

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Great news - $6.4 million signing bonus is in the real world as opposed to what the agent was allegedly seeking - Ike definitely gave a home team discount

Next up is Troy before 2007 season

Sad to say something has to give and it may be some O-line signings (plus Joey P.) in the next several years

SteelersFire
09-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Sweet

tony hipchest
09-03-2006, 05:40 PM
i liked what ike had to say to the media the past month or so and i took his comments to be genuinely sincere. hes smart enough to know he could probably have gotten $30-40 million from the partiots or redskins after this season. like he said though he wants to be a steeler and told his agent to get it done.

im not worried about getting ben and troy signed. it will happen. look at the many mega deals the bengals, seahawks, colts, redskins have been able to sign. hell the seahawks offered deion branch a mega deal after shelling out about $40 million for burleson. the steelers are much more fiscally responsible.

the futures so bright i gotta wear shades :cool:

Prosdo
09-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Awesome news! So glad this is done with!

Petesburgh66
09-03-2006, 06:24 PM
I hope uses some of that money and buys some crazy glue for his hands. lol

Great news he is locked up for 5 years. Even great that the Steelers are retaining their key pieces.

X-Terminator
09-03-2006, 06:31 PM
At 22.5 million and a $6.4 million signing bonus, I'd consider this a steal for the Steelers. It's refreshing to see an athlete actually back up his words with his actions. Great job by both sides to get this deal done! :cool:

HometownGal
09-03-2006, 06:36 PM
I am elated that both sides met in the middle to get Ike signed! Kudos to Ike and the Steelers FO for working together to seal the deal! :bouncy:

ajs8207
09-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Great news - $6.4 million signing bonus is in the real world as opposed to what the agent was allegedly seeking - Ike definitely gave a home team discount

Next up is Troy before 2007 season

Sad to say something has to give and it may be some O-line signings (plus Joey P.) in the next several years

I think Joey Porter is going to be the odd man out in all this. He's getting up there in age and isn't worth what he thinks hes worth.

WWIIOwheelz
09-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Wow... great new. I'm still too bummed about Ben.

It's all about the signing bonus these days. The players understand the team's situation with the cap, so it's all about getting that lump of cash. Great news, though. Our secondary won't be hurting anytime soon.

X-Terminator
09-03-2006, 08:10 PM
I think Joey Porter is going to be the odd man out in all this. He's getting up there in age and isn't worth what he thinks hes worth.

Agreed - I figured that's how this scenario would play out. The money they would save from Porter's departure will then be used to extend Troy next year, and the money from Hartings' eventual retirement would then be used to extend Ben the following season. Things are looking good all around as far as maintaining the core of the team, at least for now.

Man_Of_Steel
09-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Now on the brighter side, this is good news to hear.

4n2t0
09-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Ike and his agent got smart and took the guaranteed money now like Parker did .. lets just hope it works better than the Chad Scott situation.

And you swore he wouldn't get more than Parker. He's getting 1.1 million more per year and 2.65 million more in guaranteed money. :nana: lol

P.S. This might be a steal, he's goign to be a good one.

Midnightwriter07
09-03-2006, 08:48 PM
I didnt think he deserved more than Parker... I still dont .. I think Parker will be alot more valubale to this team than Taylor will be.. That of course is just my opinion.. doesnt make it right and if we stole anything .. it was Parker's contract.

ItaliaFem
09-03-2006, 09:58 PM
After the events of today, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Locked in on Parker, Taylor, we'll get Troy next. Noice!!!!

SteelCityMan786
09-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Alright I like Ike is signed. how about troy steelers FO.

MattsMe
09-03-2006, 11:26 PM
By extending Taylor's contract, the Steelers have no starters eligible for unrestricted free agency in 2006.

This was my favorite part of the article, but shouldn't it say 2007?

83-Steelers-43
09-04-2006, 08:10 AM
Taylor thrilled with new deal
By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 4, 2006

Not long after signing a five-year contract Sunday, Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor intercepted two passes at practice.

"It's like I got hands now, you know?" Taylor said, smiling. "It must be the money."

In truth, Taylor probably could have secured a bigger signing bonus from another team if he'd become an unrestricted free agent after the season, but he was plenty pleased with a deal that is worth $23.75 million, including incentives and bonus money.

He signed it just four days before the season opener, which doubles as the team's deadline for negotiating contracts.

Taylor originally was seeking an eight-figure signing bonus but settled for $6.4 million -- the fifth highest in team history behind Hines Ward ($9 million), Ben Roethlisberger ($9 million), Kordell Stewart ($8.2 million) and Casey Hampton ($6.975 million).

Taylor, 26, also received a $1.1 million roster bonus that will be paid out over the duration of the deal.

According to Taylor's agent, Scott Smith of XAM Sports in Madison, Wis., the extension is worth $15.5 million over the first three years.

"There was compromise on both sides," Smith said. "The deal represents a commitment that Ike showed to the Steelers and that the Steelers showed to Ike."

Even when negotiations stalled, and it looked as if Taylor would play out the season on a one-year contract and test the open market, he promised he would be in Pittsburgh next year and beyond.

The Steelers drafted Taylor out of Louisiana-Lafayette in the fourth round of the 2003 draft.

"This is where I wanted to be," said Taylor, who is the highest-paid defensive back in Steelers history. "My agent knew what I wanted. I told you all I was going to be here, regardless. I was just that sure of myself. (The Steelers) gave me a chance to develop."

Taylor was beaming in the post-practice locker room, as teammates shook his hand. Coming off the practice field, he and Steelers chairman Dan Rooney bumped fists, believe it or not.

"He's like a father to me," Taylor said. "That's my guy. I call him 'Pops.' "

The deal marked the third in recent months in which the Steelers signed a talented young player to a four-year contract and, in the process, bought out multiple years of unrestricted free agency.

They signed running back Willie Parker to a $13.6 million contract last week and linebacker James Harrison to a $5.5 million deal in April.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_468987.html

83-Steelers-43
09-04-2006, 08:11 AM
"It's like I got hands now, you know?" Taylor said, smiling.

Should I say it or let somebody else make the obvious reply towards this quote? lol.

HometownGal
09-04-2006, 08:48 AM

Should I say it or let somebody else make the obvious reply towards this quote? lol.

LMAO!!! I know what you're thinking, 83, you sly devil! :sofunny:

Green hands always seem to work much better than the hands you were born with. :cool:

Ambridge
09-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Hope they have enough to sign Polamalu in the future.

That's was my first thought!!
The Steelers are showing the money now......so they better not start getting stingy and try and pinch pennies with Ben and Troy, or put themselves in a position where they can't resign either one or both of them.

noto45
09-04-2006, 01:05 PM
I like IKE!

pittsburgh$teelersfan
09-04-2006, 02:01 PM
me to

Stlrs4Life
09-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Well, when you receive bad news, you in turn deserve to hear some good news! Good job Ike! I admit, I had my doubts on him.

steelcurtain09
09-04-2006, 09:50 PM

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

SteelerFanInCA
09-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Glad to see Ike kept his end of the deal with staying in Steeltown.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Woot,we locked up our shut down corner!

I'mma be looking forward to hearing about more of Chad Johnson's locker room tantrums after being SHUT DOWN by Ike Taylor.

Who can stop Number 85? NUMBER 24 BEOTCH!