PDA

View Full Version : *BREAKING* Ben a no-show at practice

Steelknife
09-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Somebody on another board is reporting that he's in surgery for appendicitis...

www.post-gazette.com/pg/0...879-66.stm

Roethlisberger a no-show at Steelers practice

Sunday, September 03, 2006
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was nowhere to be found when the Steelers took the practice field at 3:30 p.m. today.

The Steelers promised an answer from coach Cowher regarding the starting quarterback's absence when practice ends at 5:30 p.m.

Ugh. Lets hope its not surgery of any kind.

Sharkissle29
09-03-2006, 05:11 PM
thats never good

klick81
09-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Oh...no. Let's hope this is just a bad rumor.

SteelersFire
09-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Hopefully the poster on the other board is a wishful thinking Bengalite, or better yet, a ChickenHawk still nursing wounds from last year.

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Well, with no news, all we can do is sit and wait.

figg
09-03-2006, 05:41 PM
http://kdka.com/sports/local_story_246173637.html

Sources: 'Big Ben' Misses Practice, Has Surgery

19ward86
09-03-2006, 05:44 PM
i dont think it is that big of a deal because it would be all over the news if it was something bad. he probably had the sniffles or slept overtime.

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2006, 05:46 PM
With an appendectomy is he out until the San Diego game - yikes!

klick81
09-03-2006, 05:46 PM
:thud:

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2006, 05:47 PM
This hurts.........

ExtonSteelFan
09-03-2006, 05:47 PM
If he had his appendix removed I think he's looking at 4-6 weeks full recovery time before continuing strenuous activity...this doesn't sound good at all. Someone please correct me if Im wrong on this.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Didn't Hines have one a few years ago and didn't miss a game. I don't think Ben will play in the opener or even against the Jaqs. But I think he will be back for the Bengals game.

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Among other issues the Steelers need a back-up QB for Batch - any thoughts who may be out there

This season is starting to look jinxed!

Midnightwriter07
oh SHIT .. no ****ing way !!

tony hipchest
http://kdka.com/sports/local_story_246173637.html

Sources: 'Big Ben' Misses Practice, Has Surgery

jeez. expect ben to miss atleast 2-3 games. i remember jimmy smith having his appendix actually burst and he was back fairly quick but that was so long ago i cant remember exactly how long.

the main issue her is how long it takes bens cut to heal, so it dont rip back open. hes a gamer and a quick healer. if were lucky we MIGHT have him back by game 2. i think an insision like this takes about 2 weeks to heal and after that hes fine.

good thing batch got all those pre season snaps. j theismann isnt looking too smart right now.

while the doctors are at it, i hope they just remove bens tonsils too. i cant take much more of this.

Midnightwriter07
09-03-2006, 05:52 PM
umm Volek from Tenn comes into play.. Jeff George... A J Feely or .... Dare i say it .. but .... Brian St Pierre did get released from the Ravens 53 man roster.. so i am sure he is avaiable as well

Midnightwriter07
09-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Theisman never sounds very smart.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-03-2006, 05:53 PM
I had one when I was 16 and started doing physical things in 2 weeks. I also didn't have the great care that NFL players get. I remember about 2-3 years ago before a season opener Hines Ward having one and not even missing a game.

tony hipchest
09-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Among other issues the Steelers need a back-up QB for Batch - any thoughts who may be out there

This season is starting to look jinxed!

iwant brett farve. getting out of green bay would be the best thing for him.

klick81
09-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Ben just has some bad luck, doesn't he?

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Web cast of press conference live on kdka web site

SteelCzar76
09-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Calm down everyone,.....it's nuthin. Charlie Batch can start the Opener,....get injured by halftime and Cedrick Wilson will carry us until Ben returns.

It's really not that big a deal at all.

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"

klick81
09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Web cast of press conference live on kdka web site

Thanks for the heads up...they're setting it up right now.

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Laproscopic appendectomy - out Thursday and then week to week

Cowher is not asking for "any pity"

Same procedure Ward had 4 years ago

SteelersFreak
09-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Crud, this is craziness. But Ben will get good treatment from the NFL guys, I see him being back for Week 2 or at worst, Week 3.

Go Charlie Go!

klick81
09-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Charlie will lead us through :smile:

Let's just be glad Ben will be ok.

CantStop85
09-03-2006, 06:15 PM
That Dolphins opener isn't looking too good for the Steelers anymore.

Jeremy
09-03-2006, 06:16 PM
No sense in rushing him back.

Oct 8 we have our rematch with the Chargers. That would be a good time to shoot for.

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2006, 06:21 PM
That Dolphins opener isn't looking too good for the Steelers anymore.

Thanks for the encouraging words - I know this news is heartbreaking to you :)

Black@Gold Forever32
09-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Batch can win a start or two. He proved that last year.

Petesburgh66
09-03-2006, 06:26 PM
At least this happened now and not during the end of the season. Still a kick in the jewels though.

CantStop85
09-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Question: Is Hines Ward going to play in the opener?

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2006, 06:28 PM

He's listed as "questionable". That basically boils down to "yes".

X-Terminator
09-03-2006, 06:29 PM
This is not good. Not good at all.

CS85 - yes, Hines is playing on Thursday.

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2006, 06:30 PM

After giving the news on Ben, Cowher said Ward completed the entire practice and "looked good." With Ben out I bet Ward will find a way to get out there - not wild about Charlie having to throw to Wilson and - who knows - Nate Washington?

Maybe this is a chance for Santonio Holmes to have all of us forget the past by having a decent game. Time for somebody to step up!

HometownGal
09-03-2006, 06:31 PM
I can't say anything else here but - arghhhhhh! :help:

Please Charlie - step up here and prove me wrong - please!!!!! This is just not good, especially with the Steelers playing the Dolphs, Jags and Bungles the first 3 weeks of the season. I'm staying positive, though - look how quickly he healed from his almost fatal accident - let's keep our fingers crossed that he can heal quickly here, too. A laproscopic surgery has a much faster healing time than the old traditional appendectomy.

HURRY BACK BEN - WE NEED YOU!!!

Here is the video of Cowher's press conference if anyone is interested.

http://kdka.com/video

Midnightwriter07
09-03-2006, 06:33 PM
the whole team will need to step up.. especially our D..

HometownGal
09-03-2006, 06:33 PM
He's listed as "questionable". That basically boils down to "yes".

At the Kickoff Luncheon XT and I attended last Thursday, when Hines spoke to the audience, he said he "would be in the lineup for the opener against Miami". :smile:

j-dawg
09-03-2006, 06:46 PM
sorry about the bad news... just heard it on nfl network....

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2006, 06:59 PM
sorry about the bad news... just heard it on nfl network....

Bad news is all relative - an appendectomy is certainly not good news but compared to the crazy story about the San Diego linebacker who got shot 3 times last night by an off duty cop (that story is over on the NFL board - http://www.kusi.com/home/3815221.html) it is not the end of the world.

If the Steelers win on Thursday my guess is Ben will not be rushed back and does not come back until week 3 against the Bengals

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Bad news is all relative - an appendectomy is certainly not good news but compared to the crazy story about the San Diego linebacker who got shot 3 times last night by an off duty cop (that story is over on the NFL board - http://www.kusi.com/home/3815221.html) it is not the end of the world.

If the Steelers win on Thursday my guess is Ben will not be rushed back and does not come back until week 3 against the Bengals

NFL needs to clean up their players.....Too many thugs in the NFL....They should be kicked out of football........

Mosca
09-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Hey, Charlie's gonna be ok. He's one cool cat, he won't panic and he won't throw the ball all over the place. This happened early enough in the week that Wiz can put together a game plan specifically for Batch, and it's early enough in the season that no opponents will be in mid-season form. I'd rather start the year with Batch than bring him on in week 6. We'll play Steelers football; we'll block, run, and hit and cover. We'll get the lead and work the clock. It will be fine.

Tom

PisnNapalm
09-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Awww $h!t....:dang:

I need a beer.

PN

Steelers
09-03-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't believe this... Time to bring the "Get Well Ben" ribbon sig out of retirement.

Ambridge
09-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!:shake01:

Injured thumbs
Knee surgery
Crack up on a motorcycle
Emergency appendectomy

Unbelieveable

Well, Part of Miami's gameplan has been drastically simplified..........stuff the run as best you can and make Charlie Batch beat you.

X-Terminator
09-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey, Charlie's gonna be ok. He's one cool cat, he won't panic and he won't throw the ball all over the place. This happened early enough in the week that Wiz can put together a game plan specifically for Batch, and it's early enough in the season that no opponents will be in mid-season form. I'd rather start the year with Batch than bring him on in week 6. We'll play Steelers football; we'll block, run, and hit and cover. We'll get the lead and work the clock. It will be fine.

Tom

I hope you're right, Tom. Unfortunately I'm not as confident as you are.

OneForTheToe
09-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Hopefully, Ben will recover quickly. Charlie should be ok.

If Ben keeps this up, He is going to raise the deductable on the Steelers health insurance.

SteelersFire
09-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Poor Ben. What a year. He (and we) will be okay. It's relatively common surgery and not too bad post-op. Take it from one who knows. (puke)

Steel_Bus_24
09-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Wow, wtf

I can't freaking believe this BS

How can our QB have such horrible luck?????

Ben please be ready for week 2 if you can because the team just isn't quite the same without you

On Batch, we have a fair chance at winning with him, but I don't know how dominant we can be. Good Luck Charlie

Man_Of_Steel
09-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Well this totally, totally SUCKS!!!!

Man I hope Ben can come back quick from this. We will definitely need him for the Bungles game, that should be a good one.

BlackNGold203
09-03-2006, 08:11 PM
relax..laproscopic appendectomy...he'll play against Jacksonville in 15 days....

NV STEELERS 723
09-03-2006, 08:23 PM
YEP I agree Blackngold!....Ben will be around for PRIME TIME!

Man_Of_Steel
09-03-2006, 08:43 PM
relax..laproscopic appendectomy...he'll play against Jacksonville in 15 days....

I hope you're right man. Ben isn't having very good luck though.

redst3
09-03-2006, 08:56 PM
1.) i think things will be all right. The D is just going to have to brutalize Miami and hope the O-line can protect Willie and Charlie. You know they are going to key in on Parker. Hell, we may even win the opener and have him back from the long delay before week 2....just one thing....

2.) How much more weight can he drop? He had lost about 15 pounds- so how thin can he get???

Marvin_for_prez
09-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Just wanted to say that I hope Roethlisberger gets better soon. I want him under center when we come into town in week 3. It would definitely diminish some of the rivalry if he didn't get to play. :smile:
Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

Mosca
09-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I hope you're right, Tom. Unfortunately I'm not as confident as you are.

It goes like this:

The future is completely out of our hands. The only thing that we can influence is our attitude, how we handle the next week.

If we go into it with confidence and he screws up, at least he didn't screw up our whole week as well. If we get all worried today and he screws it up, we blew a whole week AND Sunday. But if we are confident, and he does well, we can all say, "See? It was all cool all along."

The only 100% bad thing is to get all down now.

Batch is a hometown guy, he'll be just fine.

I had a kidney removed laparoscopically May 16th. Waiting for the diagnosis took over a month. During that period I could have either worried myself sick that it was bad news, or gone ahead living figuring everything was probably OK. Now, it turned out bad, and I had to have my kidney yanked, but it could have been worse, too; it could have metastasized (and then I'd have been f*cked). I had a pretty good time during that month. And even if the news was 100% bad, I wouldn't have wanted to waste time wringing my hands over it beforehand.

I was back at work on June 9th, and full time June 12th. Now granted I'm not playing in the NFL, but Ben's not a 52 year old fat man either.

All will be OK. And if it isn't, we'll deal with it then. If we lose next week, then we know what to do for the week after that.

Tom

stillers4me
09-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Look on the bright side......at least he wasn't shot outside of his house by an offduty police officer.

floodcitygirl
09-03-2006, 10:06 PM
OMG!!!!! I just got home and heard about this! Get well Ben....we need you! He absolutely has to be back for the game against the Bengals....my first game at Pittsburgh and my birthday!

ItaliaFem
09-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Just wanted to say that I hope Roethlisberger gets better soon. I want him under center when we come into town in week 3. It would definitely diminish some of the rivalry if he didn't get to play. :smile:

Now this is the greatest post!!! I was on another message baord and the hate directed toward the Steelers and Ben was unreal. I am always battling everyone. They love to bash the Steelers when I am around and being a woman has a little something to do with it I'm sure. I never bash other teams. If anything I point out wekanesses and strengths in my team and take it in. The only team I would ever bash is the Cowboys but ever since Parcells came on board I haven't because I respect him as a coach. The TO thing, being in Philly, is a low blow but that wasn't Parcells. That was strictly to satisfy Jerry Jones' grand canyon sized ego.

Enough rant! You are a true football fan. One who doesn't need to bash or wish cancer on Ben (yes one jerkoff did that today) because you want the game to be the best. Kudos to you! And Get Well Ben!

Chronicgaming
09-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Hope Big Ben gets well soon, wouldn't want to rush back from something like this. Charlie will hold his own until Ben is ready.

SteelCityMan786
09-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Hopefully he gets better soon. I'm stickying this thread.

floodcitygirl
09-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Best of luck on a speedy recovery.Indeed...very kind of you. Your well wishes are appreciated.

SteelCityMan786
09-03-2006, 10:38 PM

Very classy man. Very classy.

CJ#85
09-03-2006, 11:45 PM
This is coming from a diehard Bengals fan, he has had just a rough couple of years. First he hurts his knee and misses some games, then he hurts his thumb, next he almost dies in a motorcycle accident, then again there is thumb boo boo part two, and finally he has to have his appendix out.

So, here's to Ben and Steeler fans, I wish you well and good luck from here on out (he needs some). I hope he's alright. No matter how big of a rivalry is between teams, I would never (and most Bengal fans would never either) want to see someone suffer so much. I've had enough health problems myself and know what it's like to be sick wishing you were up and about. He seems like a tough guy so I think he'll do okay. I'm looking forward to our next match up.
:sorry:

redst3
09-04-2006, 05:48 AM
Props to Bengals fans, i know some others I like to banter with on our personal blogs- we all write about football at times, good folks, it is just a game....

so....how will this affect his playing weight???....what about Hines???

By the way, Champsions overcome things like this

sixstringlass
09-04-2006, 07:40 AM
I had an appendectomy almost exactly 2 years ago. While it's not fun by any stretch of the imagination, I had the surgery on a Friday morning and was back to work on Monday. Granted, I wasn't getting blitzed or tackled or anything, but I was okay to drive and I was working two jobs and going to school at the time, so it wasn't too bad.

For someone like Ben, though, I wouldn't expect to see him back until week 4, at the earliest. You can't risk popping something open in your intestines or breaking the incision open. That would be Really Bad.

HometownGal
09-04-2006, 08:32 AM
It is very refreshing to see that opposing teams' fans have such class in coming here to wish Ben well. :smile: Props to all of you - much appreciated! :cool:

clevestinks
09-04-2006, 08:38 AM
I was at a party last night and my mother called me from PA with the news. I was sick, not to mention that my wife and I were the only Steelers fans there. But after a couple more beers and some thinking, I feel we will be fine. Bad Luck for Ben I hope he gets healthy quickly. But Charlie played more with the 1st team o in the preseason, so I think he will be fine, and he was used to not playiong with Hines. We will be fine.

Go STeelers!

noto45
09-04-2006, 01:04 PM
damit our backup QB has to step it up now right off the bat. then upside is batch looked great last year and in the preseason...my prediction is Ben is as tough as nails. he will only miss the opener.

j-dawg
09-04-2006, 01:18 PM
I hope you're right man. Ben isn't having very good luck though.

okay... stop right there. ben not having good luck?!!!

he got hit by a car on his motorcycle and was back in time for camp....

he's going to be on the surgical table for a second time in so many months... and he should be back to play in 15 days....

i'm not saying that these things arn't bad... BUT he's been very fortunate.

which i'm gald to say... and you should be to!

Mosca
09-04-2006, 02:52 PM

he's going to be on the surgical table for a second time in so many months... and he should be back to play in 15 days....

I agree 100% j-dawg. Life is all about attitude. Sure there have been setbacks, but the guy has handled them, and he'll handle this one.

Tom

MyCuz64Furness
09-04-2006, 04:28 PM
WTF..........were have I been......just saw this on the news.........................

WV-SteelerFan
09-04-2006, 05:14 PM
This is not medical fact, it is (apparently) just Hines Ward's opinion...

Ben Roethlisberger will miss one game following his emergency appendectomy. Hines Ward, who had the same procedure four years ago, will be surprised if the Pittsburgh quarterback misses a second."

SteelR1
09-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Get well soon BEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atlanta Dan
09-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Post-Gazette story this afternoon says Ben is expected to miss the first 2 games - makes sense to have him recovered for the Bengals rather than rush him back for Jax and potentially have him go out early then and be gone until the San Diego game.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06247/719012-100.stm

Stlrs4Life
09-04-2006, 07:25 PM
I leave for camp for a couple of days, and stuff like this happens! I believe we just worry it out qwith Batch, and bring up Jacobs from the practice squad. Only other guess would be St. Pierre or Maddox. And if they do that, we have to pay him the vet min. for the entire season even if Ben is back in 2 weeks.

SteelerFanInCA
09-05-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm sure we will be OK with Batch. He's had a pretty good preseason and should be ready to go. We know how to bounce back from adversity like this. Nothing new. We will be OK.

clevestinks
09-05-2006, 04:12 PM

I agree and disagree. Yes he has been fotunate in his quick recoveries. But wouldn`t not health or injuries problem be luckier!