PDA

View Full Version : OT - Crocodile Hunter dies

Steelknife
09-04-2006, 12:15 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14663786/

Wtf, this actually upsets me for some reason.

Petesburgh66
09-04-2006, 12:15 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060904/people_nm/australia_irwin_dc

Australia's "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin dies: media

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Steve Irwin, the quirky Australian naturalist who won worldwide acclaim, has died in a marine accident off Australia's northeast coast, local media reported on Monday.

Queensland state government sources quoted by Australian Associated Press (AAP) said Irwin, 44, whose television show "The Crocodile Hunter" won international acclaim and popularized the phrase "Crikey," was believed to have been killed by a stingray barb that pierced his chest.

He was filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas when the accident occurred, the report said.

Sky Television also reported that Irwin had been stung by a sting ray.

Australian emergency officials could not immediately confirm the reports.

Irwin won a global following for his daredevil antics but also triggered outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old baby while feeding a snapping crocodile at his Australian zoo.

RIP.??This guy had more balls than most men wish they had.

jaysta
09-04-2006, 12:25 AM
That is upsetting. That guy was really cool and pretty much fearless. I'll say a prayer for him and certainly miss seeing his crazy stunts with those wild animals.

Koopa
09-04-2006, 12:27 AM
damn that sucks, i actually liked watching him........this should probably have been posted in the locker room

Steelknife
09-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Probably, but this is big news! And we're in a lull right now.

floodcitygirl
09-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Actually, it is posted in the Locker Room. :smile:

Koopa
09-04-2006, 12:38 AM
lol, and they both posted the threads at the same time but they got the article from differnet sites lol

ncoolong
09-04-2006, 01:50 AM
I don't ****in' believe it. I need to see a body. No way that man dies from something so small. Not a chance.

Steelknife
09-04-2006, 01:55 AM
Dasyatids do not attack aggressively, or even actively defend themselves. When threatened their primary reaction is to swim away. However, when they are attacked by predators or stepped on, the barbed stinger in their tail is mechanically whipped up, usually into the offending foot; it is also possible, although less likely, to be stung "accidentally" by brushing against the stinger. Contact with the stinger causes local trauma (from the cut itself), pain and swelling from the venom, and possible infection from parts of the stinger left in the wound, as well as from seawater entering the wound. It is possible for ray stings to be fatal if they sever major arteries in the chest or pelvic regions, or if the wounds are improperly treated. Their stingers are normally ineffective against their main predator, sharks.

? Size, Age & Growth
The southern stingray reaches a maximum disc width of 79 inches (200cm) and weight of 214 lbs (97 kg). Little is known about its average life span and growth rate.

They ain't all small.

Koopa
09-04-2006, 02:00 AM
and it stabbed him in the heart

and if it was fake why is all the major news site reporting this??

Seth88101
09-04-2006, 03:32 AM
He died from a stingray, man that sucks!! RIP Steve Irwin, you will be missed!

Elvis
09-04-2006, 04:56 AM
That is a sad thing to hear first thing in the morning.. but I hope his heart was in the right place and wish his family well.. you just never know when your time will come..
God Bless Ya'll
Elvis

Steel Warrior
09-04-2006, 06:11 AM
That truly sucks, but, if you fart around with dangerous animals, sooner or later you're gonna get it. That was his claim to fame and it caught up with him.

Ambridge
09-04-2006, 06:16 AM
That truly sucks, but, if you fart around with dangerous animals, sooner or later you're gonna get it. That was his claim to fame and it caught up with him.

I'm not surprised he was killed in his line of work but I figured a snake, crocodile or gator would do him in.

SteelCityMan786
09-04-2006, 06:29 AM
Topic merged from another thread in the Steelers Forum.

clevestinks
09-04-2006, 07:43 AM
R.I.P. Croc Hunter

stillers4me
09-04-2006, 08:33 AM
This man as done so much for the animal world..........he will be missed by all. RIP, Steve.....you went out doing what you loved!

BlackNGold203
09-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Wow.....

I LOVED this freakin guy!!!

What a shame...RIP Croc Hunter...you will be missed!!!

PisnNapalm
09-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Crikey!

oh wait... No I can't say that I'm surprised.

HometownGal
09-04-2006, 08:46 AM
I am so sorry to hear this - I loved Steve Irwin! That guy had brass cahoonans and his shows were very entertaining, as well as quite interesting. RIP, Crocodile Hunter - we'll miss you.

http://www.crocodilehunter.com/australia_zoo/images/australia_zoo_splash_13.jpg

X-Terminator
09-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Well, I guess this means I can?t watch his shows anymore?it?ll just feel too weird. And of all things, a stingray takes him out. RIP Steve ? you?ll be missed :frown:

SteelCityMan786
09-04-2006, 09:40 AM
RIP Steve. It had to have taken a lot to go out a do all those nature shows. Darn stingrays.

PisnNapalm
09-04-2006, 10:32 AM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/GoSlash27/irwin.jpg

silver & black
09-04-2006, 10:47 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14663786/

Wtf, this actually upsets me for some reason.

Me too. My daughter and I had a ritual of watching his show together. She sat on my lap and never moved through the whole show. She is now officially a teenager... no more sitting on dad's lap. :crying02:

19ward86
09-04-2006, 10:49 AM
it is hard to believe that he died from a stingray win all of his life he is hangin around snakes and crocs.

43Hitman
09-04-2006, 11:35 AM
R.I.P. Steve Irwin you will be sorely missed. Basicly he was a pioneer in what he brought to televison.

noto45
09-04-2006, 12:07 PM
that stink he was a cool dude!

SteelersFire
09-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh mannn! I thought the dude was immortal. Bummer.

klick81
09-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Yeah, this surprised me too. :(

83-Steelers-43
09-04-2006, 03:01 PM
That's a shame. But if you play with fire your going to get burned.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but he seemed to be more of an expert in the field of reptiles compared to aquatic life.

RIP Mr. Croc Hunter.

meanjoecoop
09-04-2006, 03:41 PM
...but I hope his heart was in the right place...

:dang:

...and it stabbed him in the heart

:dang:

Stlrs4Life
09-04-2006, 09:17 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060904/people_nm/australia_irwin_dc

RIP.??This guy had more balls than most men wish they had.

I agree, wow what a tragedy! RIP Mr. Irwin!

Koopa
09-05-2006, 11:37 PM
i found this on cnn.com

BRISBANE, Australia (CNN) -- Videotape of Australian "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin shows him pulling a deadly stingray barb from his chest just before he died.

Irwin's manager John Stainton said Irwin was being videotaped diving on a reef off Australia's northeast coast for a television show.

He told Australia's Network 10 that Irwin managed to pull the barb out of his chest but said it was too late, as the poison had already entered his body. Irwin then went into cardiac arrest, news reports said. (Watch Stainton describe Irwin's last moments -- 2:20)

Stainton described the footage of his friend dying as "terrible."

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone," Stainton said. (Watch how a stingray strikes -- 2:35 )

"That was it. The cameraman had to shut down (after that)," Stainton said. Stainton talked more about the footage on "Larry King Live" Tuesday. (Watch excerpts from the show -- 4:46)

Cardiac arrest is not listed as a usual symptom of a stingray's sting in Medline Plus, the online medical encyclopedia of the National Institutes of Health and the U.S. National Library of Medicine. But they note that although most victims recover within 48 hours, "death has occurred when the patient's chest or abdomen was punctured."

Irwin's body was flown first to the city of Cairns and then to Queensland state's Sunshine Coast, the location of his family home.

As fans from around the world mourned his death, it was announced that a state funeral for Irwin would be held if his family so chose, an Australian state premier said.

"We will honor Steve Irwin in whatever way his family wants," said Queensland Premier Peter Beattie, speaking to CNN affiliate Channel Seven.

"We will approach the family and we would obviously be keen to honor him in some sort of way from the Queensland Government point of view, from the state's point of view, but we would only do that with the family's approval."

For the past week, Irwin, 44, had been working on an underwater documentary at Batt Reef in the Great Barrier Reef off Port Douglas in Queensland state.

Bad weather for the past few days had made it impossible to proceed with a planned taping for the Animal Planet channel, so Irwin instead chose Monday to shoot "a couple of soft stories for a new TV show we're doing," Stainton said.

"He and the underwater cameraman went out to do some pieces on the reef and coral and stuff good for the kids' show and, unfortunately, he came out over the top of a stingray that was buried in the sand and the barb went up and hit him in the chest."

Rescuers put Irwin aboard his research vessel, Croc 1, and attempted to resuscitate him during the 30-minute dash to nearby Lowe Isle, where a medical helicopter was available to take him to a hospital, but the effort proved futile.

Irwin was director of the Australia Zoo, a major tourist attraction which he developed from his parents' small crocodile farm, in Queensland. He is survived by his American-born wife, Terri, and their two children, Bindi Sue, 8, and Robert (Bob), 3.

Terri Irwin was told of her husband's death while on a walking tour in Tasmania, and returned Monday night to the Sunshine Coast with the children.

Out of respect for Irwin's family, Australia's quarantine service is withdrawing all TV advertising that features Irwin promoting the importance of Australian quarantine measures.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/05/irwin.death/index.html

rickmastfan67
09-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Man, I really loved watching his shows. He was one of the coolest guys out there. He was a true living legend. He was the kind of guy you wouldn't think would die. Just really sad to see it happen. :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/rickmastfan67/LenoCroc.jpg