PDA

View Full Version : Would Tommy be too drastic?

TheTruestBlackGoldFan
09-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Would getting Tommy back be too much, I think Omar is o.k but BSP is a big no no (Make me eat my words BSP) Tommy always beat out BSP and we know how bad he was.

Let's not get this twisted I never want to see Tommy in a Steeler uniform but we need a better back-up for the next im guessing 2 weeks. Remember the Browns game last year when ben was out and Charlie started but broke his hand? Yea, it can happen. We need a Prove...er...experienced back up.

Click Me http://www.orderpcs4free.com/?r=2865 Click Me

43Hitman
09-04-2006, 01:22 PM
I would rather have Joe Thiesman as a back-up then Maddox. He may know the offfense better than Batch(which i am not so sure of anymore), but Batch is in better game shape and has played with the first team virtually all of pre-season. Not counting the fact that he will get all the reps with the first team this week leading up to the game on Thurs.

LambertIsGod58
09-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Never take Tommy back...end of story.

HometownGal
09-04-2006, 01:38 PM
I don't think Tommy has the desire to play any longer - he lost some of that fire he once had when he was injured in the Titans game in 2003 (understandably) and lost even more of it when he injured his arm/elbow/shoulder in the Rats game last season. Maybe he should have hung up the cleats after the 2003 season, but I do understand why he didn't - it was a matter of pride in wanting to prove to himself he still could play. I also don't think the man would want to subject himself to more vicious remarks and humiliation from some of the fans, even if he never played a down - who in their right mind would? This is kind of a non-factor at this point, anyway, as the Steelers signed Frenchy today.

SteelCityMan786
09-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Maddox is TOO drastic. See what he did to us last year.

HometownGal
09-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Maddox is TOO drastic. See what he did to us last year.

I'm a little confused here, SCM. What exactly did Maddox do to us last year? Didn't we win the Super Bowl? :dang:

Atlanta Dan
09-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Maddox ruined 2 Sunday afternoons for Steelers fans last fall and then had the gall to act in the post-season as if a terrible wrong had been done to him by not showing up at the White House or the rings presentation ceremony - I would rather have the Steelers forfeit the games than watch Tommy Turnover kick them away.

HometownGal
09-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Maddox ruined 2 Sunday afternoons for Steelers fans last fall and then had the gall to act in the post-season as if a terrible wrong had been done to him by not showing up at the White House or the rings presentation ceremony - I would rather have the Steelers forfeit the games than watch Tommy Turnover kick them away.

Oh boo frickity hoo, Dan. He didn't show up at the White House ceremony - so what? He wasn't a member of the team any longer and none of us really know the real reasons why he didn't show, so why speculate on it?

While there is no comparison between Maddox and Ben - not even remotely close - Ben was the QB last season for 3 of our losses and again, Batch had his behind saved by Polamalu in the Green Bay game which we very well could have lost due to his poor play. I don't want to get into the Maddox thing all over again - he isn't a Steeler any longer and we all need to move on and thank our lucky stars that we have an outstanding young QB in Ben. I remember the positives in all former Steelers, not the negatives. No use in continuing to beat the dead horse, Dan. :smile:

SteelCzar76
09-04-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't think Tommy has the desire to play any longer - he lost some of that fire he once had when he was injured in the Titans game in 2003 (understandably) and lost even more of it when he injured his arm/elbow/shoulder in the Rats game last season. Maybe he should have hung up the cleats after the 2003 season, but I do understand why he didn't - it was a matter of pride in wanting to prove to himself he still could play. I also don't think the man would want to subject himself to more vicious remarks and humiliation from some of the fans, even if he never played a down - who in their right mind would? This is kind of a non-factor at this point, anyway, as the Steelers signed Frenchy today.

As stated before i cannot hate on Tommy and wish him the best of luck with his future endeavors. However,... his time in Steeler uniform is done. We drafted a Qb to fill the third spot. A kid from the MAC whom knows nothing of our system or the league,....but has all the talent and physical tools. (Sound familiar ?)
The thing that i don't comprehend is how many of us think that Omar's ability to play effectively is so implausible ? This team stepped up and carried Ben,.....why would it be any different with Jacobs,...in the event "China" Batch was to get injured ?

"Hail Caesar,.......Hail the Black and Gold"

Steel12
09-04-2006, 02:22 PM
I hate Maddox with a passion and I can't believe I'm about to say this....maybe we do need to pick him up because of his familiarization with the offense. What am I saying!!! Please help me...

FAB802
09-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Anyone who thinks Mad Ducks should ever suit up for us again is either a closet Bungle troll or stupid. Odds are both. No need to panic just yet.

X-Terminator
09-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Well I'm certainly not a Bungle troll, and I'm definitely not stupid, and I think Maddox would have been a viable option. The games last season, which didn't end up hurting us in the grand scheme of things or his not showing up at the White House or ring ceremonies - as if he's the first player in sports history to skip out on those things :rolleyes: - are dead horse issues. His knowledge of the offense would have been valuable and worth at least some consideration of bringing him back. But as has been said, the whole thing is now moot anyway - St. Pierre has been signed, which more than likely means Jacobs becomes the backup on Thursday.

Atlanta Dan
09-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Oh boo frickity hoo, Dan. He didn't show up at the White House ceremony - so what? He wasn't a member of the team any longer and none of us really know the real reasons why he didn't show, so why speculate on it?

While there is no comparison between Maddox and Ben - not even remotely close - Ben was the QB last season for 3 of our losses and again, Batch had his behind saved by Polamalu in the Green Bay game which we very well could have lost due to his poor play. I don't want to get into the Maddox thing all over again - he isn't a Steeler any longer and we all need to move on and thank our lucky stars that we have an outstanding young QB in Ben. I remember the positives in all former Steelers, not the negatives. No use in continuing to beat the dead horse, Dan. :smile:

You are the one who made the observation "I'm a little confused here, SCM. What exactly did Maddox do to us last year?" so do not get astonished when some of us attempt to walk you through what he did to so endear himself to Steelers Nation.

Let's review:

1. Ed.B. of the Post-Gazette has repeatedly reported how Maddox was always in a snit about Ben being drafted to replace him and (unlike Charlie B.) provided no mentoring or other significant assistance to Ben.

2. His performance almost single handedly loses the Jax game

3. After the Jax game Maddox throws other players under the bus for the loss, blames an injury he did not disclose to the coaches for his own screwups, and then acts all hurt that he gets booed.

3. His agent then makes up a story later that week about Maddox's kids getting hassled on the school bus and trash getting tossed on his yard that Maddox's wife has to retract but which Maddox never has the guts to admit was a lie

4. For Act II, he comes back and cannot throw against a Ravens defense stacked againt the run in the loss to Baltimore.

5. As for the post-season, I do not give a d**n whether Maddox went to the White House or rings ceremony and frankly was glad he did not show since it confirmed my opinion he is a self-centered jerk. My point is that why would the Steelers want to bring back a team cancer who so clearly wants nothing to do with Pittsburch except on his own narcissistic terms.

In closing, you are right - the Steelers won the Super Bowl last year. However, seeing as you and I at least did no harm, we contributed more to that vicory than Maddox did. Proposing that the Steelers bring back a hack who will not get into what passes for football shape for him until Ben has recovered is nuts.

Boo frickety hoo indeed:love:

SteelCzar76
09-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Well I'm certainly not a Bungle troll, and I'm definitely not stupid, and I think Maddox would have been a viable option. The games last season, which didn't end up hurting us in the grand scheme of things or his not showing up at the White House or ring ceremonies - as if he's the first player in sports history to skip out on those things :rolleyes: - are dead horse issues. His knowledge of the offense would have been valuable and worth at least some consideration of bringing him back. But as has been said, the whole thing is now moot anyway - St. Pierre has been signed, which more than likely means Jacobs becomes the backup on Thursday.

Well said X. It's one thing for someone not to approve of Tommy playing for us,.....but letting personal ill will toward the man (for whatever reason) cloud your judgement,... is uncalled for. Hey,...i have no Love for Kordell or Neil,....but i'll still ride with SteelerFam that does. Coaches and Player's come and go,....The franchise is Immortal.

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"

Doc
09-04-2006, 04:17 PM
I think no matter what happens, while Ben is out, we really, really dont need Charlie to get hurt.

Koopa
09-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Would getting Tommy back be too much, I think Omar is o.k but BSP is a big no no (Make me eat my words BSP) Tommy always beat out BSP and we know how bad he was.

Let's not get this twisted I never want to see Tommy in a Steeler uniform but we need a better back-up for the next im guessing 2 weeks. Remember the Browns game last year when ben was out and Charlie started but broke his hand? Yea, it can happen. We need a Prove...er...experienced back up.

Click Me http://www.orderpcs4free.com/?r=2865 Click Me

i'd rather sign that old dude the raiders signed and released lol

43Hitman
09-04-2006, 04:20 PM
I think no matter what happens, while Ben is out, we really, really dont need Charlie to get hurt.

AMEN to that!! (Shh! Murphy is listening)

SteelCzar76
09-04-2006, 04:25 PM
AMEN to that!! (Shh! Murphy is listening)

And he (Murphy) could give a F$ck what our best laid plans are. LOL

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"

X-Terminator
09-04-2006, 04:29 PM
You are the one who made the observation "I'm a little confused here, SCM. What exactly did Maddox do to us last year?" so do not get astonished when some of us attempt to walk you through what he did to so endear himself to Steelers Nation.

Let's review:

1. Ed.B. of the Post-Gazette has repeatedly reported how Maddox was always in a snit about Ben being drafted to replace him and (unlike Charlie B.) provided no mentoring or other significant assistance to Ben.

2. His performance almost single handedly loses the Jax game

3. After the Jax game Maddox throws other players under the bus for the loss, blames an injury he did not disclose to the coaches for his own screwups, and then acts all hurt that he gets booed.

3. His agent then makes up a story later that week about Maddox's kids getting hassled on the school bus and trash getting tossed on his yard that Maddox's wife has to retract but which Maddox never has the guts to admit was a lie

4. For Act II, he comes back and cannot throw against a Ravens defense stacked againt the run in the loss to Baltimore.

5. As for the post-season, I do not give a d**n whether Maddox went to the White House or rings ceremony and frankly was glad he did not show since it confirmed my opinion he is a self-centered jerk. My point is that why would the Steelers want to bring back a team cancer who so clearly wants nothing to do with Pittsburch except on his own narcissistic terms.

In closing, you are right - the Steelers won the Super Bowl last year. However, seeing as you and I at least did no harm, we contributed more to that vicory than Maddox did. Proposing that the Steelers bring back a hack who will not get into what passes for football shape for him until Ben has recovered is nuts.

Boo frickety hoo indeed:love:

1. Yes, we've heard that he wasn't happy about Ben being drafted to replace him. However, Ben has gone out of his way on more than one occasion to compliment Maddox, said they were friends and that he had in fact helped him quite a bit. So where was this refusal to offer assistance or mentor Ben that you speak of? Because if that truly was the case, then Ben was lying.

2. Not one person disputes that.

3. I'm not even going to get into the issue with his post-game comments, because it's impossible to argue with people who see or read what they want to see and read. He said more than once in that post-game interview that he didn't get the job done, but everyone still believes he never accepted any blame for his play. So I'm not wasting any more of my time on that.

4. In a recent interview, Maddox admitted that the whole situation with that story was overblown, and that there were only a few pieces of trash thrown in his yard. I would call that an admission that the story was a lie.

5. That game showed me that he doesn't have it anymore, and that his confidence was totally shot. That happens after you have a spinal injury, an arm injury and have to deal with fans who get off on booing as soon as the first incompletion hits the ground. The latter is the biggest reason why Terry Bradshaw held a grudge against the fans for as long as he did.

6. MY point is that plenty of other athletes who had moved on to other teams or retired after being part of a championship team didn't show up for ring ceremonies or go to the White House, but no one ever said a word. But because it's Maddox in this instance, and he's a pariah in this town, he gets bashed for it and called "a self-centered jerk." Sorry, but I'm not going to, not when he wasn't the first, won't be the last and don't know the true reasons for him not doing so.

19ward86
09-04-2006, 04:34 PM
i would take maddox, only for third spot. it is not like jacobs will do better, i like him but he needs to learn how to hold on to the ball.maybe if jacobs was the 2004 version of him.
he threw like 45tds and only 4or so int.

Doc
09-04-2006, 04:39 PM
The one good thing I hope comes of this is this.

It will prove to the Bengal fans, that football is indeed a TEAM sport, and while having a top notch QB is great, winning can still be achieved with the backup QB in there. The other areas of the team simply have to pick it up a little. And I have full faith that the running game, Defense, and special teams will do just that. And to top it off Charlie will play just fine as well!

Fire Haley
09-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Doc is all excited anytime his driver can finish a race.

WOO-HOO! Bow down to the new Leader on the Leaderboard!

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=144833#post144833

Doc
09-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Doc is all excited anytime his driver can finish a race.

WOO-HOO! Bow down to the new Leader on the Leaderboard!

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=144833#post144833

between the Steelers and Mark Martin, I am going to die a young, fingernail-less man.

OneForTheToe
09-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Oh boo frickity hoo - HometownGal

:bouncy: :bouncy: For some reason that makes me giggle

Atlanta Dan
09-05-2006, 07:50 AM
To the extent anyone thinks I am too harsh on Tommy Turnover and wonders why his return was about as likely as a 49ers-Browns Super Bowl this year, I am a big fan compared to Ed.B. of the P-G. Some might accuse Ed.B. of beating a dead horse - I am just passing this along - I report, you decide:)

Check out these quotes in today's P-G story on the return of St. Pierre:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06248/719128-66.stm

In November, with Ben Roethlisberger on the shelf and Charlie Batch struggling with a broken right pinky finger, the Steelers called St. Pierre and offered him a contract to become the backup quarterback. And the way Tommy Maddox had played against Jacksonville, then screamed at coach Bill Cowher in his office later, the chance to stick around as the No. 3 quarterback the rest of the season was a good one.

There is no ill feeling on either side, unlike the Maddox departure. Maddox burned his bridge with Cowher, then added to it when he snubbed their Super Bowl ring ceremony in June. The Steelers also believe he just can't play anymore. The Steelers would rather sign Jeff George than ask him back.

Beat reporters usually do not trash players since it can tend to chill access to the entiire team. Either Ed.B. has such a personal dislike of Maddox he is willing to run that risk or (more likely) Maddox is regarded as such a tool by the coaches and other players that nobody will get chapped at Ed.B. for reporting what is regarded as gospel truth.

Midnightwriter07
09-05-2006, 07:59 AM
NO to Maddox, and I think we can get by with St Pierre just as well as we would Maddox. Is and was a mute point anyway, we were not going to sign him anway.

noto45
09-05-2006, 08:08 AM
NO NO NO NO To Tommy I would rather see Tommy Lee than Tommy Madducks...........

HometownGal
09-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Guys - come on. Why are we still beating the Maddox dead horse? He's no longer a Steeler and don't we have more important things to concern ourselves with, i.e. - the begining of a new season and our quest for a repeat? The emergency QB slot has been nicely filled by St. Pierre. Leave Maddox and all other former Steelers in the archives where they belong and let's move on - we have an exciting season ahead of us! :smile:

BlackNGold203
09-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Time to move on....

maddox is gone....St. Pierre is in....we have a huge game in 2 days....

RoethlisBURGHer
09-05-2006, 12:51 PM
I don't want to see Maddox back in the Black and Gold.

It was an ugly divorce anyhow,I don't think he has any desire to be a Steeler again.

HometownGal
09-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Time to move on....

maddox is gone....St. Pierre is in....we have a huge game in 2 days....

AMEN. :smile: