PDA

View Full Version : my Steelers 1st and 2nd round draft picks

PeckerWood
12-26-2013, 01:31 AM
1st
Bradley Roby, CB

School: Ohio State | Conference: BIG10
College Experience: Junior | Hometown: Suwanee, GA

Strengths: Roby has world-class speed with the click-and-close ability to play tight coverage and mirror receivers all over the field. 4.39-second 40-yard speed and a good fighting attitude to battle for the ball.

2nd
Craig Loston, SS

School: LSU | Conference: SEC
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Houston, TX

STRENGTHS: Loston is in many ways a similar prospect as 2013 first-round draft pick and former LSU safety, Eric Reid. While perhaps not quite as athletic as Reid, Loston possesses a similar well-built frame, good instincts for the position and is a fearless hitter. Loston attacks downhill, showing rare acceleration and explosion as an open-field hitter.

IowaSteeler927
12-26-2013, 08:11 AM
I do like that Roby kid. He's physical and has good size in addition to damned good speed. I didn't like his illegal hit in the game against my Hawks this season but he paid his penance by getting ejected. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the black and gold.

devin7558
12-26-2013, 02:02 PM
I like both prospects. I do feel that Roby will be in the back half of round 1 past pick 20 and could even slip into the early to mid 2nd round. He lost a lot of ground for a TERRIBLE performance againstJared Abredderis of Wisconsin. He exposed Roby by playing his aggressiveness against him. He flat out burned him more than 2-3 times down the seams and sideline. One and game but that and the aforementioned ejection during Iowa and his bad BIG10 game and you can see why he has fallen so far from grace so quickly. He was lock after last season for mid to upper first round 2013.

Currently, and I'm sure it will change quite a bit but pre combine and bowl games: Darqueze Dennard, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Justin Gilbert and Jason Verrett are all carrying higher grades at CB, and justifiably so if you watch this years tape.

nbowman46
01-04-2014, 09:02 PM
I like the Roby pick alot but i also think we can get him later in round 1. And i agree Dennard and Gilbert are better prospects. If they really want him trade down in the first.

As for Loston i think they could wait for a S, especially if Will Allen is brought back.

teegre
01-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Not bad... but, as others have said: Roby is slotted around 25-40.

And, if the Steelers go for a safety, Deone Bucannon is the man.

pczach
01-05-2014, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't take Roby in the first round. I watched a lot of Ohio St. games, and kept hearing the hype about him coming into this season after his play last year. He didn't come close to performing up to his reputation. I watched him struggle and make big mistakes in more than a few games. He does have the measurables, but would not draft him too high.

The thing is, this seems to happen often with defensive backs, particularly corners. They're very hard to evaluate because of the volatility of the position. In college, there seem to be wild swings in performance with certain players at the cornerback position. They are also hard to project into the NFL game. Many highly rated corners get drafted very high in the draft, but never live up to their draft position. Others thrive when they get to work on their craft and fully envelope themselves in the improvement of their game, and react well to coaching.

He has to learn not to guess all the time and be over aggressive. He did get abused by Abredderis and has struggled this year and performed way below the preseason hype, but he could be coached up in the NFL. The earliest I would take him is the late second round.

cbrunn
01-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Honestly not a fan of this Mock ... Roby is a no go in the 1st especially at 15 , Dennard , Ifo , Gilbert ,Verrette , Kyle Fuller (2nd round) are all better then Roby to me

and Loston is a major reach in the 2nd