PDA

View Full Version : Professional Football has a new king.

Brady12
09-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Damon Allen has just passed Warren Moon for the All-Time Pro Football Passing Yards record with a 29 yard touchdown pass to Arland Bruce.

Petesburgh66
09-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Canadian Press

9/4/2006 8:10:42 PM

HAMILTON (CP) - Damon Allen is the most prolific passer in pro football history.

Allen, 43, achieved the milestone in the third quarter of the Toronto Argonauts game versus the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Monday.

The 22-year CFL veteran was at the Hamilton 29-yard line, running to his left, when he made a shovel pass to Arland Bruce III. Bruce III broke two tackles and scored the touchdown at 5:02 of the third quarter.

After play was stopped, CFL commissioner Tom Wright presented Allen with the game ball in an on-field ceremony as Allen received a warm ovation from the Hamilton crowd.

''Over the last 22 years, I've had the honour and the pleasure of playing in front of great fans across the CFL, including the Hamilton Tiger-Cat fans,'' Allen told CBC. ''I'm just looking forward to going back to Toronto and celebrating next week.''

Moon wasn't in attendance Monday, but former NFL head coach Steve Mariucci was. Mariucci served as Allen's quarterback coach early in his college career at Cal State Fullerton in the 1980s.

''It's just fitting that a guy like this would break the all-time passing record in pro football, we're really proud of you, Damon,'' Maricucci told CBC.

Moon, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame last month, is expected to be at Rogers Centre on Saturday when the Argos honour Allen prior to their game versus Hamilton to complete a home-and-home Labour Day series.

Allen came into Monday's contest needing just 165 yards to break Moon's mark.

It's somewhat fitting that Allen surpassed Moon as pro football's career passing leader. Both are California natives - Moon from Los Angeles, Allen from San Diego - who came to the CFL to begin their pro careers after being shunned by the NFL. In fact, Moon and Allen both started with the Edmonton Eskimos before moving on.

However, while Moon left for the NFL's Houston Oilers in 1984, Allen has remained in Canada for his entire pro career. The Argos are Allen's seventh CFL team, having played previously for Edmonton, Ottawa (1989-91), Hamilton (1992), Edmonton (1993-94), Memphis (1995), B.C. (1996-2002) and now Toronto (2003-06).

It was with B.C. that Allen registered the bulk of his passing yards (27,621) but the six-foot, 190-pound quarterback registered a career-high 5,082 yards last season with Toronto, earning the CFL's outstanding player award for the first time.

Allen has participated in five Grey Cup games, winning four.

Allen's moving atop pro football's passing derby will undoubtedly spark more debate regarding whether Allen should be considered for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Opinion, however, is mixed.

Dan Marino, the former Miami Dolphins great, has publicly stated that while he appreciates Allen's accomplishment, he doesn't believe the younger brother of former NFL star Marcus Allen - himself in Canton - should be considered. However, Moon, who spent the first six years of his pro career with Edmonton before a 16-year run in the NFL, said last week he believes Damon Allen should receive consideration from the voters.

There will certainly be more time to debate this. Allen is planning to continue playing through the 2007 season.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=176469&hubname=

Canton should name the Pro football hall of fame to the NFL HOF and get it over with.

Brady12
09-04-2006, 08:49 PM
If Damon plays through 2007, he will probably pass his brother, Marcus in All-Time Pro Football Rushing Yards. He's about 500 some odd yards away currently.

Petesburgh66
09-04-2006, 08:57 PM
I am pretty sure he will play another year. Allen had not indicated anything about retirement. And I hope so as Argos have no other QB that can step up and take his place. This was proved earlier in the year as the Argo offense just stunk without him.

Seeing Mariucci on the Argos sideline is wierd.

boLT fan
09-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Oooh. I was confused by the term "Pro Football" I thought you meant the NFL. You meant the little league CFL. Oooooh.

WWIIOwheelz
09-04-2006, 11:23 PM
I heard his parents were in charge of snacks that night, too

:)

ngreene15
09-05-2006, 12:54 AM
I heard his parents were in charge of snacks that night, too

:)
You've got nno idea what the CFL is about... Watch a game.

Regardless of the league 70,000 + yards passing is amazing.