PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin Benjamin article

Steelstoned1972
01-08-2014, 08:55 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/01/is-kelvin-benjamin-now-out-of-the-steelers-reach/
I don't know if he's out of our reach but it doesn't appear many balls are out of his reach. He's a physical freak. If the combine and pro day numbers support his athleticism , it would be hard to pass him up. ( assuming he declares )

I know we need defense but id rather load up on defense in rounds 2-5 since they prob won't play in our defense yr 1 unless there's an injury.
A big time red Zone threat and jump ball freak will propel Ben ,Bell , and Brown to the next level which could be a juggernaut offense. ( Assuming the line doesn't regress. )

If we will be continuing the learning curve in defense next year gotta out score em !

Steelstoned1972
01-08-2014, 10:05 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/4097/nfl-draft-watch-kelvin-benjamin

espn article about Benjamin and the Steelers

harrison'samonster
01-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Is KB a little older? I'm not sure if he's the WR that's 24, also not sure that it matters to people who want to pick him up.

Steelstoned1972
01-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Is KB a little older? I'm not sure if he's the WR that's 24, also not sure that it matters to people who want to pick him up.

I don't think so. He's a red shirt sophomore.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

CanSteel7
01-08-2014, 11:26 AM
I was reading that he also seems to drop passes more than what you would like to see from a guy who is supposed to be an elite talent. No doubt he looks like a physical specimen, BUT, do we all remember a guy we drafted in 2008 who was a tall, fast receiver who just could not hang onto the ball? I think we all do. I'm not comparing the two but when I hear that, I get leery. In my opinion, if Hageman is there, from what I've read, he would be the best choice. Just my opinion.

SteelersCanada
01-08-2014, 11:32 AM

He'll be 23 by the draft.

Steelstoned1972
01-08-2014, 11:42 AM
He'll be 23 by the draft.

Thanks. I think Jarvis was 24 when we drafted him so that's not bad.
I'm not saying he should be the pick. But if he performs well at combine and doesn't have character issues , he should be considered. Im for Bpa , preferably at a position of need.

SteelersCanada
01-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Thanks. I think Jarvis was 24 when we drafted him so that's not bad.
I'm not saying he should be the pick. But if he performs well at combine and doesn't have character issues , he should be considered. Im for Bpa , preferably at a position of need.

I like him, but not at 15th overall. 46th and we're talkin'.

Steelstoned1972
01-08-2014, 11:58 AM
I like him, but not at 15th overall. 46th and we're talkin'.

Who knows after the combine he could be considered a top 15 talent and a top 15 talent could drop.
Ill reserve judgement until after the pro days. Cheers !

PhantomJB93
01-08-2014, 12:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3llpin2PFv4

Steelstoned1972
01-08-2014, 01:05 PM

Ouch , were those a combo of Manny / Sweed drops ?

teegre
01-08-2014, 03:15 PM

That's why he shouldn't be a R1 pick.

Ricco Suavez
01-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Nearly every draft pundit has the top 5 receivers in this draft as Watkins, Evans, Lee, Benjamin, and Robinson. All are physicals players and have the size to boot. Just outside of these top five is Jordan Matthews of Vanderbilt and having seen him a lot, I see a sure handed player that is not,(if any) behind these top five guys. Trouble is I am not the only one who sees this and I think he goes 2nd round at the worst and might sneak ahead of one or two of these other guys. My sleeper and after the combine I believe will be a big climber is Donte Moncrief. He is fast, big, physical. I think he has a great combine and will move into the 2nd round. His numbers this past year were not head turning but his QB had shoulder issues nearly all year and his team mate was the #1 receiver out of HS which took some targets away from him. I am on record as to liking both these guys but could only hope to get either one if they somehow drop to the 3rd round. But then why would the drop?

PhantomJB93
01-09-2014, 01:15 AM
That's why he shouldn't be a R1 pick.

I understand every receiver is going to have drops, Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins have had their fair share too, but it's just a bad sign when somebody can make a lowlight video of bad drops from just a single season of play. Benjamin is definitely promising but 15 would definitely be in "reach" territory unless he BLOWS UP the combine and has hands of glue in every practice/drill leading up to the draft.

I will give him credit for that catch the other night though, he came through when his team needed him most in the postseason, which is already more than Limas Sweed ever did.

Nearly every draft pundit has the top 5 receivers in this draft as Watkins, Evans, Lee, Benjamin, and Robinson. All are physicals players and have the size to boot. Just outside of these top five is Jordan Matthews of Vanderbilt and having seen him a lot, I see a sure handed player that is not,(if any) behind these top five guys. Trouble is I am not the only one who sees this and I think he goes 2nd round at the worst and might sneak ahead of one or two of these other guys. My sleeper and after the combine I believe will be a big climber is Donte Moncrief. He is fast, big, physical. I think he has a great combine and will move into the 2nd round. His numbers this past year were not head turning but his QB had shoulder issues nearly all year and his team mate was the #1 receiver out of HS which took some targets away from him. I am on record as to liking both these guys but could only hope to get either one if they somehow drop to the 3rd round. But then why would the drop?

Jordan Matthews is a motherfucking beast. I will never forget watching the Vanderbilt vs. Ole Miss game earlier this year when he kept getting pummeled and was puking on the sidelines and just kept coming into the game and making clutch catches. Easily the toughest wide receiver I have seen at any level of the game since Hines Ward, I just remember thinking "87 on Vanderbilt is a fucking man." He would be a first or second round pick easily if it weren't for the fact that this draft class is littered with physical freaks at WR and Jordan Matthews just doesn't meet that description. I'd love to have him but he seems a reach with our first or second round pick and will almost surely be gone by the 3rd comp pick. But man, I've just gotta give major respect to this dude wherever he goes.

EDIT: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/30/4674808/jordan-matthews-catch

MDSteel15
01-09-2014, 11:02 AM
I was reading that he also seems to drop passes more than what you would like to see from a guy who is supposed to be an elite talent. No doubt he looks like a physical specimen, BUT, do we all remember a guy we drafted in 2008 who was a tall, fast receiver who just could not hang onto the ball? I think we all do. I'm not comparing the two but when I hear that, I get leery. In my opinion, if Hageman is there, from what I've read, he would be the best choice. Just my opinion.

Thank you from saving me the time in typing this... :thumbsup:

SteelersCanada
01-09-2014, 12:35 PM

It's interesting that you bring up Hageman. Ra'Shede is probably a bigger risk with a lower ceiling than Kelvin. Benjamin and Hageman are both physical and athletic freaks with the ability to be a game changer at their position, but the tape doesn't reflect that in the slightest for Hageman at this time. If we're looking for a guy that can come in and make an impact immediately for our defense, Ra'Shede is not going to be that guy. I can't stress that point enough. He absolutely needs a year, possibly two under his belt with John Mitchell before he's able to take over a significant role for this defense. That begs the question - do we have time to wait for him to develop? With our defensive line currently a huge question mark, I don't think we do.

This kid is going to get drafted higher than he should because of his physical attributes. Kelvin Benjamin is in the same boat, but in my mind, has a higher ceiling than Hageman currently does. I would be absolutely shocked if he was our first round pick.

MDSteel15
01-09-2014, 03:24 PM
LT - Kelvin Beachum
LG - David DeCastro
C - Cody Wallace (while Velasco recovers)
RG - Ramon Foster
RT - Marcus Gilbert

Trade Maurkice Pouncey for an EARLY 2nd round pick and you can mash the ball on the ground and fill the holes on D? I like this thought... The nwe don't have to worry about when does Pouncey get hurt or come out as the next gang member associated with AHernandez....

Ricco Suavez
01-09-2014, 04:46 PM
LT - Kelvin Beachum
LG - David DeCastro
RG - Ramon Foster
RT - Marcus Gilbert

Trade Maurkice Pouncey for an EARLY 2nd round pick and you can mash the ball on the ground and fill the holes on D? I like this thought... The nwe don't have to worry about when does Pouncey get hurt or come out as the next gang member associated with AHernandez....

I have no problem with this train of thought. Dolphins need OL and with his brother already on board I could see this happening.

Steelstoned1972
01-09-2014, 04:50 PM
LT - Kelvin Beachum
LG - David DeCastro
RG - Ramon Foster
RT - Marcus Gilbert

I'm thinking the same thing . Velasco and Wallace played well . POuncey's injury history and the fact that he prob wont resign after this year makes sense to get something out of him now when we could really use the extra pick . And Miami does make sense. :drink:

CanSteel7
01-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Thank you from saving me the time in typing this... :thumbsup:

You're welcome. :hatsoff::tt04:

CanSteel7
01-10-2014, 12:32 PM
It's interesting that you bring up Hageman. Ra'Shede is probably a bigger risk with a lower ceiling than Kelvin. Benjamin and Hageman are both physical and athletic freaks with the ability to be a game changer at their position, but the tape doesn't reflect that in the slightest for Hageman at this time. If we're looking for a guy that can come in and make an impact immediately for our defense, Ra'Shede is not going to be that guy. I can't stress that point enough. He absolutely needs a year, possibly two under his belt with John Mitchell before he's able to take over a significant role for this defense. That begs the question - do we have time to wait for him to develop? With our defensive line currently a huge question mark, I don't think we do.

This kid is going to get drafted higher than he should because of his physical attributes. Kelvin Benjamin is in the same boat, but in my mind, has a higher ceiling than Hageman currently does. I would be absolutely shocked if he was our first round pick.

To be honest with you, I don't really know too much about Hageman other than what I've read in more than one sight. People really seem to be high on him and what they described seems pretty impressive.

I've kind of changed my mind about who I would want at 15 though. I've read some stuff on CJ Mosley and think that he would be an excellent pick at 15. I've read that he is being compared almost in the same light at Kueckley(hope that is spelled right) from Carolina. I also read an article on his off-the-field life and it reads Steelers all over him! He's a quiet guy with excellent character. He is a real student of the game, works his butt off every day and can fly all over the field. If I had to think who realistically would be available at 15, I would think he would. I can't see Watkins being available at 15. If he is, no brainer, you take him.

CJ Mosley is a LB that I would love to have on the Steelers. Larry Foote should be back this year but he will be done soon. We really don't know if Sean Spence will ever be the player he was before the injury. Being able to pair Mosley and Timmons together in the middle, man that would be ridiculous, IMO.