PDA

View Full Version : My 1st mock of the year (1st rd only)

devin7558
01-09-2014, 10:10 PM
1. HOU- QB Teddy Bridgewater Louisville
2. STL- OT Jake Matthews Texas A&M
3. JAX- QB Johnny Manziel Texas A&M
4. CLEV- QB Blake Bortles UCF
5. OAK- OLB Anthony Barr UCLA
6. ATL- Jadaveon Clowney South Carolina
7. TB- Mike Evans Texas A&M
8. MIN- QB Derek Carr Fresno State
9. BUF- LT Greg Robinson Auburn
10. DET- CB Darqueze Dennard Michigan State
11. TEN- FS Haha Clinton-Dix Alabama
12. NYG- CB Justin Gilbert Oklahoma State
13. STL- DT Ra'Shede Hagemann Minnesota
14. CHI- NT Louis Nix Notre Dame

....interesting

15. PIT WR Sammy Watkins Clemson

At 6'1 and 200 lbs Sammy gives you a bonafide offensive weapon for the remainder of Ben Roethlisbergers career assuming he gets an extension. Selecting Watkins here & signing him to a value contract of 5 yrs in length is why you do it. Allow Sanders to walk in free agency & save that $$$. You can now have Brown play more underneath with Watkins on the perimeter spreading the field, giving Ben a legit long ball threat in turn improving the run game. Watkins is also remarkable after the catch. He changes gears in a flash & would compliment the quick strike & YAC approach that coach Haley bases his offense on. He'd be a nightmare for any #2 corner in the NFL & could contribute from day one. He could use some polish as a route runner but he has great hands, incredible vision and after catch ability...he'd easily get 1000yds as a rookie & 6-8 scores. He could also take over the kick return game. If he's there...you have to take him.

Rankings and team boards will change wildly after the combine but I think the risers will be the top 2 CB's, Mike Evans, Khalil Mack, Greg Robinson (if he declares), Anthony Barr, and the QB's just because teams are desperate.

I'm not in the camp that thinks a 2 down NT will make a huge difference anymore or that an average OT will be any better than Beachum.

Thoughts?

harrison'samonster
01-09-2014, 10:51 PM
I don't really follow a lot of mocks, but it's interesting to see Manziel go before Bortles. I'd rather see Cleveland end up with Manziel personally. Also interesting to see you've got Clowney being picked 6th.

There is another NT I thought the Bears might be interested in, can't remember his name (tall guy weighing about 311).

I can't argue against your pick for the Steelers. I believe that a NT could be a good pick for us in the 1st, but whichever way the Steelers go, it looks like we could end up with a solid player!

teegre
01-10-2014, 12:31 AM
There is no way that I could ever see Watkins dropping to 15.

If he did, the Steelers would make that pick faster than they did for David DeCastro and/or for Jarvis Jones.

PhantomJB93
01-10-2014, 02:49 AM
I would die for Sammy Watkins at this point but he won't make it out of the top 10 and maybe not even the top 5. Not after that bowl game. Especially with Tampa, Detroit, Buffalo, St. Louis, and the Giants all with holes at receiver and drafting before us.

devin7558
01-10-2014, 09:24 AM
I agree but I think a lot of buzz will deflect away from him post combine. Buffalo spent 2nd and 3rd rd picks on WR's last season and need protection for EJ Manuel. St. Louis has a nicked up o-line and will need tackle help at one of their two picks, Detroit doesn't have to have a top WR to play second fiddle to megatron and this is a deep deep WR draft. I see them going secondary because they ranked bottom 5 all year against the pass. The giants need defense badly and protection help as well unless they can't keep Hakeem nicks. With no Nicks I could see them jumping on Watkins. Hard to say at this point.

I agree it could be a long shot but Sammy hit his pinnacle early in the process with that bowl game. His measurables at the combine will just confirm what scouts already knew. He's fast. There are going to be some huge risers post combine.

devin7558
01-10-2014, 09:35 AM
I don't really follow a lot of mocks, but it's interesting to see Manziel go before Bortles. I'd rather see Cleveland end up with Manziel personally. Also interesting to see you've got Clowney being picked sixth!

I think the GM in Jax is a "play it his way kind of guy." He flat out ignored Tebow as an in state popularity pick up and has a plan. I don't think he'd just take Bortles because he's a Florida guy too. Personally I think they should take Barr or Clowney with that pick and grab a falling QB early second round. But if they go QB Johnny has shot up boards and is even being talked about as #1 to HOU since he's a Texan. I think the combine may settle that down but he's probably not making it out of the top 4 and I see him moving ahead of Bortles.

I think if the Raiders commit to a 3-4D that Barr is one of the best pure pass rushers in a long while. Clowney needs to be in a traditional 4-3 with his hand in the dirt. I think a lot of scouts have soured on Clowney a bit. If I had a big board he'd be #1 on mine.

MDSteel15
01-10-2014, 11:54 AM
I don't really follow a lot of mocks, but it's interesting to see Manziel go before Bortles. I'd rather see Cleveland end up with Manziel personally. Also interesting to see you've got Clowney being picked 6th.

There is another NT I thought the Bears might be interested in, can't remember his name (tall guy weighing about 311).

I can't argue against your pick for the Steelers. I believe that a NT could be a good pick for us in the 1st, but whichever way the Steelers go, it looks like we could end up with a solid player!

I've seen Clowney go as far down as 14th

smpavs83
01-10-2014, 12:02 PM
I like Watkins but think he will be gone by the Steelers pick. If we get a WR with the 15th pick and Watkins isn't there, I also like Kelvin Benjamin and Mike Evans. Ben hasn't had a young 6'4+ receiver to throw to since early in his career with Plax, which they had a very good connection. Although we may not get a WR until the 2nd round (may go defense in the 1st) and if thats the case, I like Allen Robinson out of Penn St.

CanSteel7
01-10-2014, 01:53 PM
I Watkins is available at 15, no brainer. In all reality though, a guy like CJ Mosley should be available and would make an excellent pick. I've read an article on his off-field life, growing up, etc... and he has Steelers written all over him. Can you imagine Timmons and Mosley in the middle of the defense, man!

devin7558
01-10-2014, 08:42 PM
I'm a fan of Moseley, Mack, Clinton-Dix, Dennard and Gilbert if it's a first rd pick on D. The team has so many needs that no matter what they're going to take BPA. Someone has to fall. Might be Watkins. Many scouts prefer Evans ability to high point the ball and play physical.

I'd be in no way disappointed if Moseley came to town. I'm still impressed with Vince Williams though...and would be intrigued to see how far Spence has come back from injury...

Pitt15
01-11-2014, 10:25 AM
What is the story on Mosely injuries? If he is physically sound, I like this pick. Benjamin was my #1 but if he is 24, I may pass. Not sure the CB are worthy at 15, Watkins and CB (or Buchannon/Clinton Dix) in Round 2 would be outstanding. Although I like WR or Defense in R1, the Best Athlete looks to be a LT.

devin7558
01-11-2014, 12:37 PM
If Auburns Greg Robinson declares and slips to 15 I would probably select him. Im not that high on Lewan or Kouandjio at that spot. If no IMPACT players slip to 15 they should explore trading back

SteelersCanada
01-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Let me preface this by saying your mock isn't bad, but it's pretty clearly built on the idea that Sammy Watkins would fall to us. It's like you put Watkins at 15, then worked 1-14 and some of the picks reflect that. For starters, the Louis Nix to Chicago pick is... confusing. A prototypical 3-4 space eater heading to a 4-3 scheme would be a bit off to me. Even if he's asked to play that 5 technique as the second DT, it still doesn't make a lot of sense. The Bears have too many other holes on that defense to go defensive line. The Bills just invested a high pick into Cordy Glenn to be their Left Tackle of the future, thus the Robinson pick would be a wasted one. The one where I was really confused though was the Mike Evans to Tampa at 7th overall. I have yet to see a board - any board, from any site and/or analyst - that has Mike Evans over Sammy Watkins. The 'Bucs wouldn't pass on Sammy if he's there.

Again, it's not necessarily a bad mock, I just can't see it happening. There are some huge names that are left off in favor of questionable top 15 guys as well. Khalil Mack and C.J. Mosley are two that jump off immediately.

devin7558
01-12-2014, 03:04 PM
^great post. No lie.
I didn't realize I left Mack out of my top 10. Fail.

I don't think buffalo will be picking a WR or that Cordy Glenn is athletic enough for LT. RT absolutely or at guard he has pro bowl potential. That aside Louis Nix played all of his college career in a 4-3 penetrating the pocket and Henry Melton is a FA coming of ACL surgery for the Bears. I feel Chicago will definitely address the interior D line.

xbroughneck
01-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Considering how much people love Troy, I'm surprised how Sammy is a definitive pick if he's on the board, but everyone thinks I'm crazy for saying Marqise Lee would be just as big a pick (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1737386-comparing-marqise-lee-and-sammy-watkins-who-will-have-the-better-2013).

He automatically elevates the offense. Yes...defense is a big concern, but rounds 2, 3 and 4 can be for defense.

PhantomJB93
01-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Considering how much people love Troy, I'm surprised how Sammy is a definitive pick if he's on the board, but everyone thinks I'm crazy for saying Marqise Lee would be just as big a pick (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1737386-comparing-marqise-lee-and-sammy-watkins-who-will-have-the-better-2013).

He automatically elevates the offense. Yes...defense is a big concern, but rounds 2, 3 and 4 can be for defense.

What does Troy have to do with liking Marquise Lee? Yeah, we all like Troy, but I doubt most people here like him because he went to USC.

Marquise Lee wouldn't ADD anything to the offense. He's another 6'0 possession receiver with good, but not game-breaking speed and athleticism. I don't doubt he'll be a good receiver but he's not what we need if we go offense with the pick. We need change, we need a new dimension for the offense whether it be Sammy Watkins blowing by defenders down the field or Mike Evans leaping over guys in the red zone. I would consider either of those guys in the first but if Marquise Lee were the best offensive player remaining I would surely go with Nix, Clinton-Dix, Mosley, or Dennard if any of them were there.