PDA

View Full Version : Intriguing Prospects

Pitt15
01-10-2014, 09:59 AM
1. Trent Murphy, OLB/DE, Stanford
Liked his pressure vs. MSU, strong enough to hold the edge and push the pocket, may be better as a DE. Question: Is he athletic enough to play OLB for Steelers?

2. Ryan Shazier, ILB, OSU.
Given Steelers like for Buckeyes, and his quickness, but 226 lbs.
Question: Is he athletic enough to play safety like Carnell? Round 2 pick to replace Troy in the Quarter defense??

MDSteel15
01-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Don't know much about Murphy but not a fan of Shazier in any position

devin7558
01-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Don't know much about Murphy but not a fan of Shazier in any position

^^^^^
Make that two.

Murphy is a low ceiling quality player. Good at setting the edge but I think more athletic NFL Tackles will neutralize his pass rush with better footwork. He appears a bit lacking in the athletic department. Good hand fighter and a smart hard working player I wouldn't pass on if he fell into the mid 2nd to 3rd...but out of the question at 15.

Shazier I'm not a fan of for the Steelers. He'd have no natural fit in our scheme. To small to play inside and though he's an adequate rusher it's all based on his speed. Most NFL backs and TE's would stone him in his tracks. He's super athletic and his quicks and ball skills are off the charts but that's relative to his size too...

think teams will overvalue his best qualities and ignore the weaknesses. He'd be great for covering the hybrid tight end types. I don't see him in black n gold though. You'd have to pick him pretty high.

That's my 2 cents

Pitt15
01-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Appreciate the responses, I wasn't suggesting either as round one options. But definitely need to upgrade pass rush and coverage. I think another OLB with strength and attach skills is a priority to get into the rotation, esp. with free agency issues. Would love to find another Farrrior type FA to add to the D, either at LB or S.

cbrunn
01-13-2014, 07:13 AM
If you're looking for a LB Convert Safety ... look at Dion Bailey from USC

he played Safety and LB in College ... he could be your Lake Clone ..