PDA

View Full Version : Heath Miller / Inside Slant

BB2W
06-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Heath Miller hopes to put the tight end back into the Steelers passing offense after a decade in which the position served virtually as a third tackle.

The Steelers first-round draft choice overcame offseason sports hernia surgery to participate fully in the team's spring drills that ended June 9. He looked stiff and rusty in the early weeks but more fluid as the drills progressed.

Last season, three Steelers tight ends caught 17 passes, led by Jerame Tuman with nine. By drafting the 6-5, 256-pound Miller, Pittsburgh indicated it plans to give its tight end more than blocking assignments in 2005.

Miller caught 144 passes in four years at Virginia and scored 20 touchdowns.

"If you have a guy that can run down the middle of the field and can block at the point of attack in the run game, it certainly gives you an advantage," said offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, a former NFL tight end. "I think he has the ability to stretch the field."

Miller got the feeling from his spring workouts that the Steelers will use him as a receiver.

"The tight end is out on a number of routes here," he said. "I just have to learn the offense. I think I gradually learned more as the minicamp went on. I tried to get through it and show I'm comfortable on a football field."

The loss of 6-5 1/2 wide receiver Plaxico Burress to the New York Giants in free agency should give Miller even more stature in Pittsburgh's passing game. Hines Ward, at 6 feet, is the tallest of their top three receivers.

steelparrot
06-27-2005, 03:04 PM
The loss of 6-5 1/2 wide receiver Plaxico Burress to the New York Giants in free agency should give Miller even more stature in Pittsburgh's passing game. Hines Ward, at 6 feet, is the tallest of their top three receivers.

i hadent really thought about that but its a good point. When miller was drafted i figured he would just be used to block, but it looks like i might be prooved wrong, which is a good thing.

clevestinks
06-27-2005, 03:48 PM
I hope Miller isn`t just used to block, that would be a waste of a 1st rounder, we can already block with TE

Prosdo
06-27-2005, 06:45 PM
I hope Miller isn`t just used to block, that would be a waste of a 1st rounder, we can already block with TE

I agree. If they used a first round draft choice they need to utilize this guy. I have heard from tons of people he has great hands and can catch well. He needs to be used as a passing weapon also.

bigbensgirl7
06-27-2005, 06:51 PM
I agree. If they used a first round draft choice they need to utilize this guy. I have heard from tons of people he has great hands and can catch well. He needs to be used as a passing weapon also.
I think they jumped on this guy because the know he can use his hands, and I believe he will be an added option for Ben to throw to. I think the addition of Miller could really open up the entire offense, and from the reports I have heard...Miller seems to be doing well!!!

clevestinks
06-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Bruener had descent hands also. Thats what worries me. It is not time to add a TE to Bens arsenal

Avoid LLoyd1975
06-29-2005, 01:40 PM
I smell first round bust all over this guy. Not completely his fault though. Pittsburgh will continue to run like the wind. Miller will create options but he will not be utilized to his potential. So he has great hands..... but we have even better running backs. (and starting wide receivers) He may develop into an impact player. But not this year.

clevestinks
06-29-2005, 05:09 PM
I smell first round bust all over this guy. Not completely his fault though. Pittsburgh will continue to run like the wind. Miller will create options but he will not be utilized to his potential. So he has great hands..... but we have even better running backs. (and starting wide receivers) He may develop into an impact player. But not this year.

I hope your wrong! But I can see your point, and if we don`t use him as a recieving TE I will be totally disappointed.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Bruener had all kinds of records in his pocket when he came outta washington, and he went on to a pretty darn good career w/ us. I still wish we'd have utilized him more in the passing game..but our Steelers are our Steelers.. we run first, always, and if ur not versatile and a team player, u wont last long.

Here's to Heath becoming a big part of our offense.. *knock on wood*

KILLERSteelers77
06-29-2005, 11:20 PM
I think Heath will be just the man to do it!!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Thats what we are all hoping...now its up to the coaches to utilize that talent.

SteelProven
06-30-2005, 06:46 AM
If the steelers ever want to get over the hump (AFCC and SB) they have to utilize the TE position. In the last decade every SB champ has had a above average TE. Meaning they used him in whatever way they could.

SteelersWyo
06-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Yes a tight end is a key ingredient to a Super Bowl champ, but how many of those teams wasted a 1st round pick on him? I've said it since draft day, bad move by the Steelers.

KeystoneKC
06-30-2005, 02:44 PM
The TE hasn't neccesarily been a key in all the recent Superbowls, but spreading the ball around has. During the 1st NE run, the TE only accounted for 168 yards that year. The Steelers actually did better than that in '04. But, New England's backs also chipped in to the tune of almost 750 yards receiving. Same thing with the Rams run in XXXIV. TE's: 313 yards, RB's: 1268 yards. Overall, the magic number has seemed to run 60%-63% of the overall receiving yards have gone to the wide-outs. The remainder has been split up between the backs (20%+)& TE's (15% +/-)

BB2W
06-30-2005, 03:38 PM
You cant compare Bruener's hands to Miller's......not even close. Bruener caught with his body, Miller has very soft hands for a big man, and will make catches you would expect from WR's.

SteelProven
06-30-2005, 07:57 PM
H. Miller should and will play better than M. Bruener. Just becuz Ben tried a few times to utilize his TE during games. INT's happening on a few of them but TD's happening on a few of them too. So I think H. Miller will put up 35 rep 462 yds and 7 TDs, escaping the dark cloud of Tackle Eligible (TE)

clevestinks
06-30-2005, 08:15 PM
I think he has better hands to. So let us all hope that we use him and his hands.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Every Qb needs a big, tall, security blanket to throw too when he's in trouble..