PDA

View Full Version : Football Coach Attacks Youth Player

83-Steelers-43
09-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Good role model here. A real winner. This guy needs to get a grip and never be permitted to coach youth sports again. I would also suggest some type of counseling and a couple of months in jail after this display of complete idiocy and immaturity.

The story and tape of the incident: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14681867/

augustashark
09-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Jail time?.....Looked like a father that could not keep his emotions in check....I will never say that what he did is ok, but I don't see sending this guy to jail.

83-Steelers-43
09-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Assault? Child abuse? Some jail time sounds good to me. If somebody laid out my son (if I had kids) like that you damn well better believe I would want him doing some time.

or......

The authorities could put me in a room with him for a half hour. :bouncy:

augustashark
09-05-2006, 05:02 PM
See, I do have kids and I would choose your second option!

83-Steelers-43
09-05-2006, 05:04 PM
See, I do have kids and I would choose your second option!

Unfortunately, it's an unlrealistic option. So, put him in a jail for a month and see if he decides to lay another elbow blow on a kids head again.

augustashark
09-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Listen, I watched the video and to me it looks like his son was hit very late and that no one was doing anything about it....A normal person would make sure that their kid is ok first and then get the ref's involved. This guy though is a hot head! and reacted the wrong way.

83-Steelers-43
09-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Listen, I watched the video and to me it looks like his son was hit very late and that no one was doing anything about it....A normal person would make sure that their kid is ok first and then get the ref's involved. This guy though is a hot head! and reacted the wrong way.

Oh there's no doubt it's a late hit. It's hard to tell if a ref was going to throw a flag or not. In my opinion, that's a mute point.

Coach "I'm living my dream through my son" Petero had absolutely no right to jump on the field and give that kid a flying elbow to the head.

Like I said, either put me in a room with him or let him sit in a cell for a month for assault and child abuse. One of the two would suit me just fine.

Ambridge
09-05-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm not going to say what this guy did was appropriate but I can kinda see how it could happen.

My son who is playing freshman football for his high school this year played six years of Pop Warner Football before that and after attending many of his PW games there were a few incidents that resulted in near melees between both teams coaching staffs and the opposing parents as well.
Those incidents were sparked by the absolute "Mini-Thug Dirty Football" coached to and played by the opposing team. We're talking blatant punching, spearing, falling knees, spitting and dangerous late hits.

We've only seen one play from this game but I'd be willing to bet there was some dirty stuff going on by one or both of these teams the entire game.

I've witnessed both parents and coaches come close to losing control, thank goodness it never happened.
Jail time for this guy??? Definately not, but he should banned from ever coaching again

SteelCityMan786
09-05-2006, 05:47 PM
This guy needs Jail time. 40+ years. Abusing a child is wrong. If not jail time, FIRING FROM JOB.

83-Steelers-43
09-05-2006, 06:03 PM
This guy needs Jail time. 40+ years. Abusing a child is wrong. If not jail time, FIRING FROM JOB.

Damn. Now that's a little harsh even for me....lol. 40 years? I'm talking a month, counseling and never let the bum coach youth football again. Some of these people need to get a grip.

Ambridge
09-05-2006, 06:07 PM

I wouldn't call a coach bowling over a player Child Abuse.:rolleyes:

Save the jail time and the 40 year sentences for the pedophiles and the real child offenders.

BlackNGold203
09-05-2006, 07:29 PM
I actually feel bad for his son.....

I can see no scenario that could possibly justify what this man did...coming off the bench and laying out a 13 year old kid??

Puhleez...nothing..can justify that..he needs help...if its not child abuse..what is it??

Aggravated assault on a 13 year old??

Uh...that IS child abuse...

Stlrs4Life
09-05-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm not going to say what this guy did was appropriate but I can kinda see how it could happen.

My son who is playing freshman football for his high school this year played six years of Pop Warner Football before that and after attending many of his PW games there were a few incidents that resulted in near melees between both teams coaching staffs and the opposing parents as well.
Those incidents were sparked by the absolute "Mini-Thug Dirty Football" coached to and played by the opposing team. We're talking blatant punching, spearing, falling knees, spitting and dangerous late hits.

We've only seen one play from this game but I'd be willing to bet there was some dirty stuff going on by one or both of these teams the entire game.

I've witnessed both parents and coaches come close to losing control, thank goodness it never happened.
Jail time for this guy??? Definately not, but he should banned from ever coaching again

I agree. Jail time isn't going to do anything for this guy.

Lyn
09-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Some parents never fail to amaze to me. An adult man hitting a child is so uncalled for. More than likely he knocks his own kids around also. He definitely needs something done to cause him to wake up and smell the coffee. On the Nightly News where I saw the clip, the commentator did say "Child Abuse" :busted:

floodcitygirl
09-05-2006, 09:27 PM
I purposely didn't watch the clip on here....judging by the comments I didn't want to see it. So I'm watching tv and what comes on?...a news clip of it! I don't know all the circumstances surrounding it. The only thing I can think about is what would happen to that man if that had been my child. :injured: It may not be an appropriate thought...but it's mine!

SteelCityMan786
09-05-2006, 09:29 PM
I agree. Jail time isn't going to do anything for this guy.

Anger management for this guy.

83-Steelers-43
09-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Attack my kid like that piece of human trash did and I expect either jail time or a severe $&% beating by yours truly.

A slap on the wrist is not going to do it for me. Then we wonder why athletes coming up in the ranks are complete idiots. They take after their "supposed" role models.

tony hipchest
09-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I agree. Jail time isn't going to do anything for this guy.maybe the bengals should sign him. thats punishment enough and he seems to ba able to tackle better than anything theyve got.

SteelerFanInCA
09-06-2006, 05:55 PM
That guy had no business going on to the field like that. He should have just let the kids deal with it. Late hits are part of the game.

SteelCityMan786
09-06-2006, 05:59 PM
That guy had no business going on to the field like that. He should have just let the kids deal with it. Late hits are part of the game.

And for as long as football is played, will always happen.

83-Steelers-43
10-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Some classy people out there. Now, this winner...............

Police: Dad Pulls Gun Because Son Sat Bench

PHILADELPHIA -- Philadelphia police said a father pulled out a .357 Magnum pistol on a youth football coach because his son wasn't getting enough playing time.

A fight ensued between the man and a referee, and both are now facing charges.

Wayne Derkotch, 46, is accused of pulling the gun Sunday during a game between the Oxford Circle Raiders and the Burholme Outlaws -- 5- and 6- year-olds -- in Northeast Philadelphia. No shots were fired.

Derkotch was charged with aggravated assault, simple assault and reckless endangerment. He did not immediately return a telephone message left at his home Monday.

The referee, Shawn Henwood, said he said he was shocked to see a parent had brought a .357 Magnum with him.

"Everyone started screaming, 'Gun! Gun!' I immediately turned the boys and ran them to the opposite side of the field because the issue happened over this way," Henwood said.

He wasn't the only one who was surprised.

"Why would you take a gun to where a bunch of young kids are ... for no reason," asked Wayne Kohler, one of Derkotch's neighbors.

Derkotch didn't answer that question Monday night or the knock on the door of his home.

The coach involved, whose own son plays for the Outlaws, was willing to talk, but didn't offer much detail other than to say overly enthusiastic parents can be a problem.

"We get parents like that all the time ... just an unfortunate situation," said Coach Jermaine Wilson.

The referee was also arrested on assault charges after allegedly throwing a punch at a man. But police said it's unclear if that fight was related to the first altercation. Henwood was also arrested on simple assault charges.

Henwood apparently was arrested after a fight with Derkotch's brother. Henwood told Philadelphia TV station WCAU that he was upset because he believed he was struck first.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/10142299/detail.html?rss=pit&psp=sports

Maidenarcher
10-24-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm appalled that some of you think this behavior is acceptable just because he is a "father who couldn't keep his emotions in check". BULL SH*T!
It is called ASSAULT and CHILD ABUSE! You physically handling your own child is one thing (not right), but you handling someone else's child is an outrage....Hell, if he is doing that to someone else's kid there is no telling what he might be doing at home to his own when "he can't keep his emotions in check".
I know plenty of coaches....Many of them feel they can treat the kids however they want and it isn't right....However, if I ever saw anyone physically handle my child at that age or any age you would have to pry my dead hands off of that SOB.

83-Steelers-43
10-24-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm appalled that some of you think this behavior is acceptable just because he is a "father who couldn't keep his emotions in check". BULL SH*T!
It is called ASSAULT and CHILD ABUSE! You physically handling your own child is one thing (not right), but you handling someone else's child is an outrage....Hell, if he is doing that to someone else's kid there is no telling what he might be doing at home to his own when "he can't keep his emotions in check".
I know plenty of coaches....Many of them feel they can treat the kids however they want and it isn't right....However, if I ever saw anyone physically handle my child at that age or any age you would have to pry my dead hands off of that SOB.

Amen. Preach it sister. :cheers: :wink02:

sumo
10-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Did you see the picture of this guy? -- If I saw him on the street I would say "hey -that looks like a guy who would pull a gun at a pop warner little kids football game"

83-Steelers-43
10-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Did you see the picture of this guy? -- If I saw him on the street I would say "hey -that looks like a guy who would pull a gun at a pop warner little kids football game"

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/2006/1024/10143786_320X240.jpg Yep, looks like an Eagles fan to me. :thumbsup:

augustashark
10-24-2006, 04:50 PM
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/2006/1024/10143786_320X240.jpg Yep, looks like an Eagles fan to me. :thumbsup:

Look............It's HARDWORK!!!!!!!!!!!:wave:

stillers4me
10-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Amen. Preach it sister. :cheers: :wink02:

Ditto.........:thumbsup:

floodcitygirl
10-24-2006, 07:21 PM
I know plenty of coaches....Many of them feel they can treat the kids however they want and it isn't right....However, if I ever saw anyone physically handle my child at that age or any age you would have to pry my dead hands off of that SOB.Exactly!!!!