PDA

View Full Version : Hold me too my word

paw-n-maul-u
09-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Willie Parker will not be a productive back in 2006-2007:

I have never really been a big willie parker fan. Usually when someone goes undrafted it's for a reason and I was actually really really mad last year after parker got a chance to start because of the injuries that occurred to Duce and the Bus during the preseason ... If he didn't get a chance to start ... he wouldn't have had two big back to back games vs. teams that have awful run defenses ... and then nobody would have jumped on his bandwaggon ... and then he wouldn't have performed mediocre at best the rest of the season.

Parker had 1202 yards rushing last year ... 668 of which came in five games (his only five games that he had 100+ yards rushing) ... these came agains the POWERHOUSE defenses of the lions, bengals, browns, texans, and titans ... all of which ranked in the BOTTOM TEN in run defense ...

People seem to be fooled by his misleading stats .. 1200 yards ... great ... but does anyone here understand that we have one of, if not THE best offensive line in the NFL right now??? ... i mean really ... I have seen a few people on here scoff at the idea of drafting a running back next year on day 1 (hopefully early day 1) ... but what people dont seem to see is that for every 20+ yard run that parker breaks, he has about 5 or 6 carries to go along with it that go for -2,-1,0,1,or 2 yards ... I don't even think parker could SPELL the word consistency

And my biggest pet peeve is his oh so famous 75 yard SBXL run that came on a play where parker remembered how fast he was and scooted through the mile wide hole that was made and then ran to the sidelines to beat a BACK UP SAFETY that was caught out of position. Hoorah.

Here's to Willie Parker and my hoping that he can be more consistent this year instead of dazzling fans 1 or 2 plays a game ... oh, and here is also to Michael Bush and his broken leg that will hopefully allow the steelers to get him at pick #32 (or atleast in reach)

BlackNGold203
09-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Do you think Larry Johnson exploded last year on his own??

ALL good RB's benefit from good O-lines....

If he can pop 1200 yds as a 1st year starter....why cant he pop 1400-1500 with a full year under his belt??

paw-n-maul-u
09-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Do you think Larry Johnson exploded last year on his own??

ALL good RB's benefit from good O-lines....

If he can pop 1200 yds as a 1st year starter....why cant he pop 1400-1500 with a full year under his belt??

because he lacks the vision and patience that the top backs in this league possess ... He didn't even start at UNC probably because he was all speed and not vision ... and his speed did nothing for him against the blazing fast defenses of Miami, FSU, and VT ...

... can you not imagine how ridiculous some like LT would be like behind our line ... it wouldnt even be fair ...

Man_Of_Steel
09-05-2006, 09:37 PM
You sure you're a Steeler fan? What are you going to say when Willie busts out Thursday night? I couldn't disagree more with you. Tiki Barber is the exact same size as Willie and look what he has done in the league.Remember, HE WAS A ROOKIE! Now that Willie has a year under his belt, I think he'll do even BETTER then last year.
HOLD ME TO MY WORD.

MattsMe
09-05-2006, 10:29 PM
I can't say I agree with you, but you do bring up some valid points. Can Parker be consistent? Can he develop patience and vision? Can he perform in goal line situations? These are all questions that will be answered this season. Let's wait and see.

WWIIOwheelz
09-05-2006, 10:39 PM
1200 yds is 1200 yds.

"There is NO subsitute for speed." (Bettis) "For a little guy, he is running HARD!" (Tunch) "That boy is FAST." (Casey Hampton) "That was one helluva game." (Cowher) "He's a good one." (Jeff Fischer, after being blown away by Parker) "OMG, my Super Bowl record!" (Marcus Allen)

He's put on about 15 solid pounds in the offseason. I'll take my chances & say he'll be as good, if not better.

paw-n-maul-u
09-05-2006, 10:46 PM
1200 yds is 1200 yds.

"There is NO subsitute for speed." (Bettis) "For a little guy, he is running HARD!" (Tunch) "That boy is FAST." (Casey Hampton) "That was one helluva game." (Cowher) "He's a good one." (Jeff Fischer, after being blown away by Parker) "OMG, my Super Bowl record!" (Marcus Allen)

He's put on about 15 solid pounds in the offseason. I'll take my chances & say he'll be as good, if not better.

sweet ... so a fast back put on 15 lbs is not as fast a back ... jeff fisher's titans had one of the worst run defenses in the league ... marcus allen was probably more pissed that the STARTING safety was hurt and that the only reason parker went the distance is because a backup safety was caught out of position ... casey hampton thinks anything is fast compared to him ...

one-year-wonder ... i hope not ... but tahts what im sticking too

Steelknife
09-05-2006, 10:46 PM
"If you take away his good runs..."

I love it. Ha ha ha ha.

jblovein
09-05-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm kinda in the middle here....all good backs do have a good O-line but the guy does have blazing speed. I actually think he's way better off because he didn't play in college. Most of all, it's real hard for me to question the Steelers coaching and staffing....they have been good the past 15 years for a reason....it's not because they guess wrong on most players. They guess right on most players.....19 of 22 were drafted by them last year. Amazing.

Stillers#1
09-05-2006, 11:25 PM
I think Dick Hoak would disagree with you.

Andy225
09-05-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm sure we will all hold you "too" your word....

1200 yards is 1200. I'd say thats pretty good I also had my doubts but come on man he had the bus as his mentor plus he has this great line to run behind. Now he knows the system better, I'm sure hes going to be just fine.

paw-n-maul-u
09-06-2006, 02:14 AM
"If you take away his good runs..."

I love it. Ha ha ha ha.

you dont even see the point im trying to make about consistency ... so stupid

BUST

Steel Pit
09-06-2006, 06:45 AM
Willie's size doesn't worry me. A lot of the top tier RB's don't possess tremendous size.
We all can't have a beast like Larry Johnson.

I'll agree that most of his stats came against the lower ranked defenses of the NFL but you'll also have to agree that the Steelers face a lot of 7 and 8 man fronts. I don't care what your defensive ranking is, if you're dedicated to stopping the run by using 7 and 8 man fronts then you're going to be somewhat effective in stopping it.

You did your homework and I respect that. I'm not completely sold on Willie as a consistent back but he's all that we have. My motto is to accept what you have and make it better. Willie's certainly an upgrade from a tired old Bettis.

HometownGal
09-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Parker had 1202 yards rushing last year ... 668 of which came in five games (his only five games that he had 100+ yards rushing) ... these came agains the POWERHOUSE defenses of the lions, bengals, browns, texans, and titans ... all of which ranked in the BOTTOM TEN in run defense ...

People seem to be fooled by his misleading stats .. 1200 yards ... great ... but does anyone here understand that we have one of, if not THE best offensive line in the NFL right now??? ... i mean really ... I have seen a few people on here scoff at the idea of drafting a running back next year on day 1 (hopefully early day 1) ... but what people dont seem to see is that for every 20+ yard run that parker breaks, he has about 5 or 6 carries to go along with it that go for -2,-1,0,1,or 2 yards ... I don't even think parker could SPELL the word consistency

And my biggest pet peeve is his oh so famous 75 yard SBXL run that came on a play where parker remembered how fast he was and scooted through the mile wide hole that was made and then ran to the sidelines to beat a BACK UP SAFETY that was caught out of position. Hoorah.

If Willie had "only" 1,200 yards rushing this season but scored 12-14 TDs at crucial points in games that sealed Steelers victories, would you still feel the same way? Stats don't mean jack in the long run - it's what each and every player does and can do to contribute to a team WIN. I'd say in the Super Bowl, that 75 yard "scoot through the mile wide hole" is the play that broke the Seahawks' backs early in the second half and clearly swung the momentum in our direction. This season, Willie will have additional resonsibilities due to the Bus' retirement and I have no doubt in his abilities or his eagerness and determination to do whatever is asked of him from the coaching staff. This is the season that Willie's name will become a household word not only for Steelers fans, but throughout the NFL as well. I have no doubt about it. :cool:

DACEB
09-06-2006, 07:30 AM
inconsistant willie, tired old bettis. where's the love?!?! #36 is right up there with #32
My only concern with willie is that he holds on to the ball. Hopefully the bus taught him how to hold the rock tight in his pit.

stlrtruck
09-06-2006, 08:13 AM
My biggest concern is can Willie Parker handle the pounding that comes from being a featured back. Towards the end of last year, he began to run out of bounds or fall down. Maybe that extra 15 lbs will help he take the pounding and give a few.

I do agree that he has to be more consistent. Let's face it, backs don't always get their avg yards per carry on every carry. However, the long runs is what helps their average too. And it is his O-line that will continue to blow open holes for him and if his speed gets him an additional 10-15 yards and then so be it.

And if a player is out of position, then that's not his fault. How many times have we seen our own team taken advantage of because a player was out of position? That should be used as an excuse as to why someone had a good play. They had a good play because they executed!!!

Andy225
09-09-2006, 02:44 AM
Willie Parker will not be a productive back in 2006-2007:

I have never really been a big willie parker fan. Usually when someone goes undrafted it's for a reason and I was actually really really mad last year after parker got a chance to start because of the injuries that occurred to Duce and the Bus during the preseason ... If he didn't get a chance to start ... he wouldn't have had two big back to back games vs. teams that have awful run defenses ... and then nobody would have jumped on his bandwaggon ... and then he wouldn't have performed mediocre at best the rest of the season.

Here's to Willie Parker and my hoping that he can be more consistent this year instead of dazzling fans 1 or 2 plays a game ... oh, and here is also to Michael Bush and his broken leg that will hopefully allow the steelers to get him at pick #32 (or atleast in reach)

well we won, and he looke dgood man

Man_Of_Steel
09-09-2006, 06:06 PM
We gotta, and I mean we gotta keep this thread on the first page all year long.

83-Steelers-43
09-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Willie proved to me last game that he will be just fine and then some. Some seem to forget that last season was Willie's first season starting at the NFL level and rarely played on the college level. Give the kid time, he's only going to get better IMO.

Midnightwriter07
09-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Well consdering Miami's run D is up with the Steelers as far as being one of the tougher ones in the NFL.... Willie ran for 115 and R Brown ran for 30. So far so good

pittsburgh$teelersfan
09-09-2006, 06:16 PM
I agree fast willie will get better.He looked good against the fins.Now lets see how davenport looks when he play.:bouncy:

crcsnail
09-09-2006, 07:14 PM
i agree he will get better and against the fins he lost his footing on a few plays which looked like he could have made more yards .if he stays healthy and the line stays healthy he will have a good one .:)

clevestinks
09-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Willie is a perfect fit on the new Steelers Offense