PDA

View Full Version : Need a break from drawing - so who are we drafting? :)

Cpitt78
02-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Hey guys and girls,

I've been so busy drawing my cards that I have no idea whats going on with the rumors around this draft and our team. FILL ME IN!!! please.

P.S. I wanted Clowney. Maybe we trade up? PUHLEASE!!

jk

PhantomJB93
02-25-2014, 11:29 PM
The consensus is it's basically down to one of:

Mike Evans - WR- Texas A&M
Justin Gilbert - CB - OKST
Darqueze Dennard - CB - MSU
HaHa Clinton-Dix - FS - Bama
CJ Mosley - ILB - Bama
Eric Ebron - TE - UNC
Calvin Pryor - FS - Louisville
Louis Nix - NT - Notre Dame
(I think that's about everybody but I may have forgotten someone)

With a very outside shot at Barr of UCLA in the event he falls far, which isn't likely. Clowney and Watkins are pretty much impossible, they've solidified themselves as top-5 picks and we'd have to give up way too much to trade up.

Pitt15
02-25-2014, 11:44 PM
Always possible that one of the top tackles-Lewan- could drop making an OT the best athlete available.

SteelersCanada
02-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Always possible that one of the top tackles-Lewan- could drop making an OT the best athlete available.

I doubt it. They seem sold on the idea of Beachum at Left Tackle.

If it were up to me, it would be either Gilbert, Dennard or Mosley. I mean, ideally, it'd be Mack, Barr or Clowney, but this isn't Madden.

If you're looking for a guy to get excited about, look at Darqueze Dennard, Justin Gilbert or C.J Mosley.

CanSteel7
02-26-2014, 11:10 AM
The consensus is it's basically down to one of:

Mike Evans - WR- Texas A&M
Justin Gilbert - CB - OKST
Darqueze Dennard - CB - MSU
HaHa Clinton-Dix - FS - Bama
CJ Mosley - ILB - Bama
Eric Ebron - TE - UNC
Calvin Pryor - FS - Louisville
Louis Nix - NT - Notre Dame
(I think that's about everybody but I may have forgotten someone)

With a very outside shot at Barr of UCLA in the event he falls far, which isn't likely. Clowney and Watkins are pretty much impossible, they've solidified themselves as top-5 picks and we'd have to give up way too much to trade up.

I'm just wondering if there is any way we can get ALL OF THEM!!!!! Wishful thinking???? :tt04:

PhantomJB93
02-26-2014, 02:56 PM
I'm just wondering if there is any way we can get ALL OF THEM!!!!! Wishful thinking???? :tt04:

I know depth is an issue right now but I wouldn't be opposed to trading up out of the second to ensure we get two of those names. We see trading back proposed a lot but I think sacrificing later picks to get another first round talent could really help our chances in the coming years.

Mike Evans AND Calvin Pryor, anyone?

harrison'samonster
02-26-2014, 03:26 PM
I know depth is an issue right now but I wouldn't be opposed to trading up out of the second to ensure we get two of those names. We see trading back proposed a lot but I think sacrificing later picks to get another first round talent could really help our chances in the coming years.

Mike Evans AND Calvin Pryor, anyone?

I wouldn't be completely against something like that. But what would you have to give up to get two first round picks? A 32 pick overall next year would be worth it though.

PhantomJB93
02-26-2014, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't be completely against something like that. But what would you have to give up to get two first round picks? A 32 pick overall next year would be worth it though.

They'd never do it if it required our first next year, at least I don't think, so it would start with pick 46. To move from 46 to, say 25 or somewhere after would probably require our 2nd round picks this year and next year and a later pick this year. Keep in mind we can't trade the 3rd round comp so our 2nd and 4th round picks are our only real ammo. Again, Pryor is who I would be eyeing in that range but Nix or even Dennard could be a possibility too.

So let's say you would have Evans/Ebron and Pryor/Nix/Dennard, and then your 3rd, 4th/5th (one is traded), 5th comp, and 6-7 round picks.

I know many will oppose this because of "how deep the draft is" or our depth problems but if there's one thing this season taught me it's that we are badly in need of DIFFERENCE MAKERS, which is who you get in the first round. Sacrificing some picks to get an extra first could be huge to re-open our championship window with Ben.

Pitt15
02-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Definitely don't want to give up any of next year's picks-would give up later picks this year depending of activity in FA. With a deep draft there will be UDFA for quality depth- so I agree with the strategy of moving up to get more than one playmaker - need to ensure that the selection is significantly better than those available later.

devin7558
02-26-2014, 10:22 PM
For the sake of conversation, if Colbert wanted to move back into the 1st round, say at pick #30 owned by the 49ers. That draft slot is worth 620 points. To get that we would need to give them our 2nd rounder worth 440 points as a start. Then here is where it gets tricky...

We can't trade our #97 third round compensatory pick.
Our next selection in the 4th is only worth 66 points.
Not to mention we may yet still lose a late round selection for the Tomlin sideline blunder.

As it is, our 2 and 4 only adds up to 520. A full 100 points off. There's no way we could move back up unless we gave up a future third or 4th rounder. And even then Colbert better have Ray Shero's swindling ability.

In that scenario we'd hold picks at 15, 30, 97, 131,176, 207.

Your improving 16 spots ahead of our current 2nd rounder. Is it worth it in such a deep class? I think the brass should stay put and let a likely 1st round talent slip to 46 in round 2. Possibly Stephon Tuitt, Kyle Van Noy, Trent Murphy, Bradley Robey, Jason Verrett, Kelvin Benjamin, Austin Seferian-Jenkins etc

Personally I'd rather they try to move back up into the 3rd round of this draft similar to what they did with shark in the 4th last season. So much talent is going to slip out of that 1st and 2nd round and trickle down.

devin7558
02-26-2014, 10:27 PM
By comparisons sake they could package up their #1 and their second rounder next season or this season for a total of 1490 points. That could get them pick #7 or 8 from TB and MIN.

Khalil Mack anyone? Haha

Justp94
02-27-2014, 12:40 AM
If we go Offense in the 1st round I'd be extremely disappointed considering our defense has gone from one of the best to one of the worst over the last two seasons. With that being said, I think we need to address the D-Line or Secondary in the 1st round, my 1st choice would be CB Justin Gilbert, however if he's not available my 2nd choice would be DT Aaron Donald from PITT (He'd be a great player to play opposite Cam Heyward at DE or maybe even compete for the NT position that McClendon hasn't fully reserved yet) and my 3rd choice would be either S Calvin Pryor or S Clinton-Dix to compete for the start FS position since Ryan Clark is most likely not going to be resigned.

teegre
03-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Deep draft.
If anything, trade BACK.

I'd love to have multiple picks in R2 and/or R3.

Bucannon, Roberson, Pufifoy, Murphy... which one??? Multiple picks would solve my dilemma.

Sharkissle29
03-01-2014, 12:57 PM
IMO who we end up picking up in free agency will tell a better story as far as where we will be looking. If we get a solid CB or S in Free agency, cross either of those positions off at #1. I wouldn't mind us picking up a serviceable S (ex. Ryan Clark) and then drafting best position at #1. CB depth is great in this draft so we would not have to go #1 necessarily to find someone who can play right away. Love Joyner/Roby in the 2nd.

teegre
03-01-2014, 01:00 PM
IMO who we end up picking up in free agency will tell a better story as far as where we will be looking. If we get a solid CB or S in Free agency, cross either of those positions off at #1. I wouldn't mind us picking up a serviceable S (ex. Ryan Clark) and then drafting best position at #1. CB depth is great in this draft so we would not have to go #1 necessarily to find someone who can play right away. Love Joyner/Roby in the 2nd.

Yep.

I see four major needs: NT, S, CB, & OLB... but, only three "top end" picks. If one of those positions is addressed in free agency, then the first three picks would be used on the other three positions.

Sign Jairus Byrd.
Draft: NT, S, CB.

SteelerJT
03-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Guys you'll see mentioned a lot also include Kelvin Benjamin and Marquise Lee. There have been lots of reports that this year they want to give Ben his "big" WR early, so that fuels a lot of speculation. Also recently Pat Kirwan has mocked Kony Ealy to the Steelers at 1.15.

I know many will oppose this because of "how deep the draft is" or our depth problems but if there's one thing this season taught me it's that we are badly in need of DIFFERENCE MAKERS, which is who you get in the first round. Sacrificing some picks to get an extra first could be huge to re-open our championship window with Ben.

I think in general for the rest of Ben's career, they need to make more moves like the ones they did for Shark last year. Because they aren't capable of producing quality day 1 starters on defense, you're effectively drafting 2 years out anyway. So they got a start on Shark early, and the year his pick counts he should really be making impact and even might start.

Sharkissle29
03-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Yep.

I see four major needs: NT, S, CB, & OLB... but, only three "top end" picks. If one of those positions is addressed in free agency, then the first three picks would be used on the other three positions.

Sign Jairus Byrd.
Draft: NT, S, CB.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers pull the trigger on CJ Mosley in the first as well. Though, I think a ILB at #1 is more a luxury pick, as we have enough serviceable guys there. Spence/WIlliams/Garvin - someone will end up being good, not great, but good enough.

Mosley and TImmons inside would be the next Bowman/Willis. Timmons has always needed that counterpart.

teegre
03-01-2014, 02:42 PM
I also wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers pull the trigger on CJ Mosley in the first as well. Though, I think a ILB at #1 is more a luxury pick, as we have enough serviceable guys there. Spence/WIlliams/Garvin - someone will end up being good, not great, but good enough.

Mosley and TImmons inside would be the next Bowman/Willis. Timmons has always needed that counterpart.

Mosley would be nice, but as you said: he's a luxury.

Furthermore, I like Williams; he's good enough. (And, if not for his injury, Spence would have been what Mosley is.)

cbrunn
03-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Mosely is a please no ... I don't want any parts of Alabama prospects, unless its Haha

As for CB ... We wont see Gilbert on the board at 15 ... Dennard might be but he doesn't fit our D as much as I like him (if I was minny I'd look at Dennard, Xavier Rhodes and Darqueze Dennard would be 2 good young press corners)

Best CB in this draft though is Jason verett if only he had another 2 inches