PDA

View Full Version : Another draft approach

Pitt15
02-26-2014, 11:11 PM
Seems to be better FA options at CB than LB- so sign a starting CB in FA- avoids need to take CB at 1 or 2--select a CB with starter potential ( developmental) in round 5-6. Focus on LB, DL, S in rounds 1-2. This leaves R3 for receiver/TE. I understand that this is not how a draft board is created - but it allows the focus to be more on best available than position of need.

harrison'samonster
02-26-2014, 11:27 PM
The mock drafts are definitely going to get more realistic after the FA period. Hopefully we'll be able to sign at least one starter to fill a need.

devin7558
02-26-2014, 11:52 PM
The mock drafts are definitely going to get more realistic after the FA period. Hopefully we'll be able to sign at least one starter to fill a need.

Man, that is what it's all about. I want Paul Soliai as a FA so bad! He's a hog NT and that let's us platoon McClendon all over the D-line. It negates the need to pick Nix early and gets the team back to having solid rotational depth. I think McClendon can even give us another 6-8 sacks rotating in at DE.

The same argument/logic could be made for just drafting Nix but I think a proven commodity at NT gets us back there. And Paul has 3-4 seasons of high level play left in him.

Justp94
02-27-2014, 01:49 AM
Man, that is what it's all about. I want Paul Soliai as a FA so bad! He's a hog NT and that let's us platoon McClendon all over the D-line. It negates the need to pick Nix early and gets the team back to having solid rotational depth. I think McClendon can even give us another 6-8 sacks rotating in at DE.

The same argument/logic could be made for just drafting Nix but I think a proven commodity at NT gets us back there. And Paul has 3-4 seasons of high level play left in him.

The need to pick Louis Nix died after his Horrible combine performance, his lack of athleticism and endurance should keep him off the Steelers Draft Board, however... Ziggy Hood is a free agent this year and most likely won't be re-signed as he was a huge bust for a 1st round player, which means the DE position is going to be an area of need which DT Aaron Donald (Who was dominant in his College career and dominant at the NFL Combine at 285 lbs) should be a great replacement and improvement at the position, McClendon is honestly just an average player and should just be a back up to fill in when needed, however I do like your idea of signing Soliai to be our NT, that'd be a great free agency signing. A solid D-Line will drastically help the Steelers lack of a pass rush as the linebackers should be able to find bigger holes with 3 solid linemen eating up the blocks. It should also help Jarvis Jones to develop and get more confidence to be the 1st round talent he is.

harrison'samonster
02-27-2014, 07:29 AM

That would be nice! And I agree, McClendon and Heyward as the two D-ends would be amazing.