PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

ebsteelers
03-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Lady steel where is the thread at?

Guess we can use this one.

doing my fantasy baseball draft tonight

already got Andrew and might over drafted Starling but hes my favorite player so i had no choice but to make sure he was on my team.

coming off the first playoff trip in my life time.. looking forward to this year. I am hoping to attend a game or 2.

HERE WE GO BUCCOS HERE WE GO!!!!!

Lady Steel
03-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Lady steel where is the thread at?

Guess we can use this one.

doing my fantasy baseball draft tonight

already got Andrew and might over drafted Starling but hes my favorite player so i had no choice but to make sure he was on my team.

coming off the first playoff trip in my life time.. looking forward to this year. I am hoping to attend a game or 2.

HERE WE GO BUCCOS HERE WE GO!!!!!

I won't be posting here for Bucco's baseball, eb. I'll be posting on Justin's board.

GBpack2010
03-31-2014, 04:33 PM
1-0 Pirates Beat the Cubs!! What a win!

CrickRat23
04-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Some timely hitting and some very good pitching have the Buccos off to a pretty good start. Let's hope the bats wake up and get the pitching staff some run support.

Let's go Bucs.

NSMaster56
04-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Big nine-game road trip after taking four at home.

The first 26 Bucco games are division games.

Gotta keep winning 2/3 to get a nice cushion going.

CrickRat23
04-14-2014, 11:13 AM
The Buccos look like a lost team right now. They need to get the bats going. They are digging themselves a big hole that they are going to have to dig themselves out of. ( I know it is early but I hope the Bucs can put some wins together. )

Lady Steel
04-18-2014, 10:03 AM
We beat the hell out of the Brewers last night! It was an awesome game. If only we could always play them in Pittsburgh. It just kills us when we play them in Milwaukee and I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there when we played them last.

Let's hope our defensive struggles are coming to an end. They were starting to remind me of our Steelers there for awhile.

LET'S GO BUCS!

NSMaster56
04-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Ike Davis coming to town.

Great addition.

Lady Steel
04-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Brewers vs. Pirates score update: Brawl breaks out after Carlos Gomez triple
By Tyler Drenon  @TylerDrenon on Apr 20 2014, 3:04p

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/31900683/485692759.0_standard_709.0.jpg
Gomez flipped his bat after what he thought was a home run. After sliding into third, he was approached by Pirates pitcher Gerrit Cole and things got ugly.

Carlos Gomez was ejected from the Brewers-Pirates game on Sunday after a brawl broke out following a verbal exchange with Pirates starter Gerrit Cole.

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/assets/4329423/brawlin.gif

Pirates outfielder Travis Snider was ejected as well. He's the guy in the black sweatshirt who knocks down Gomez.

Gomez nearly hit a home run to dead center field. Just after making contact, Gomez flipped his bat and strutted down the first base line. Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen made a leaping attempt to catch the ball, but he couldn't glove it. Gomez began sprinting around the bases and dove into third.

Pirates third baseman Josh Harrison fielded the throw into the infield and Cole backed him up. As Harrison handed the ball back to his pitcher, words were exchanged, and apparently, Gomez didn't like those words. He exploded and the benches cleared.

After the main dust-up was sorted out, Pittsburgh catcher Russell Martin -- and Gomez -- went through the typical post-fight "hold me back" necessities and the umpires took to figuring out who to eject. They settled on Gomez, Snider, and Brewers bench couch Jerry Narron. Martin Maldonado got a visible jab in as the players scuffled down the third base line. He was not ejected.

Play resumed with Cole still on the mound. He later singled to lead off the bottom of the third, but the Pirates failed to bring him around to score. Neil Walker homered in the bottom of the fourth to give the Pirates a 1-0 lead.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/4/20/5634018/pirates-brewers-brawl-carlos-gomez-travis-snider-gerrit-cole

I love this freakin' game! :laughing:

Lady Steel
04-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Ike Davis coming to town.

Great addition.

I like Ike! Especially when he's hitting Grand Salami's!

http://m.mlb.com/video/v32265625

ebsteelers
04-24-2014, 03:07 PM
anybody wanna swing the bat today? how many strike 3 lookings can there be..

embrassing.

Lady Steel
04-24-2014, 07:36 PM

embrassing.

They're pissin' me off! :mad:

ebsteelers
04-24-2014, 09:22 PM
They're pissin' me off! :mad:

i just decided to purchase mlb tv. again for this year and this is the first came i got to watch in full. what a joke.

the only bright side was I got to watch it while working

CrickRat23
04-25-2014, 09:30 AM

embrassing.

The bats have been way too inconsistent this year. I know it is early, but the Bucs are falling behind quick in the division because of their early schedule against division opponents.

ebsteelers
04-25-2014, 12:46 PM
The bats have been way too inconsistent this year. I know it is early, but the Bucs are falling behind quick in the division because of their early schedule against division opponents.

yeah 7.5 back already and not even out of April yet. pitching as good but hitting needs to step up.

the brewers long win streak didnt help either :/

NSMaster56
04-25-2014, 11:02 PM
The Pirates know they can score, right?

NSMaster56
05-02-2014, 10:48 PM
Nice win tonight.

Now build on it.

Lady Steel
05-02-2014, 11:40 PM
Finally! http://www.cindyvallar.com/pirate.gif

SteelersCanada
05-04-2014, 06:22 PM
Finally! http://www.cindyvallar.com/pirate.gif

I love ya LS, but the Jays needed that win today.

Lady Steel
05-05-2014, 10:52 PM
I love ya LS, but the Jays needed that win today.

Love you, too, Canada, but nobody cares about the Blue Jays except, well, you. :chuckle: :hug:

Lady Steel
05-11-2014, 08:29 PM
I swear I'm gonna punch Pedro right in the throat! A nationally televised game on ESPN and he's a freakin' embarrassment.

4-0 Cards already and it's only the bottom of the 1st. Better get their shit together here real soon. :mad:

Oh, and ~

P.S. I'm not too happy with Ground Chuck either. :laughing:

LET'S GO BUCS!

Lady Steel
05-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Two run homer by Mercer! Woot! 4-2 Cards, but now we're cookin'!

Lady Steel
05-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Aaaaand, we're back to suckin' in Milwaukee! :mad:

Lady Steel
05-15-2014, 02:22 AM
They were lookin' like the Bad News Bears there for awhile, but my boys pulled it off in Milwaukee 4-1!

:applaudit:

NSMaster56
05-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Bucs have been playing solid baseball for about two weeks now.

They should only get better when they call up GP in June. Or, at least the hitting. The arms look... well, it's a tough game.

Lady Steel
05-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Bucs have been playing solid baseball for about two weeks now.

I don't know what baseball team you've been watching, but I've watched every single Pittsburgh Pirates game the past two weeks and, no, they have not been playing "solid" baseball. They have a lot to work on. You must not have very high standards.

I mentioned your post to my fiance and some co-workers and they want to know what you've been smokin'. :laughing:

NSMaster56
05-15-2014, 06:29 PM
I don't know what baseball team you've been watching, but I've watched every single Pittsburgh Pirates game the past two weeks and, no, they have not been playing "solid" baseball. They have a lot to work on. You must not have very high standards.

I mentioned your post to my fiance and some co-workers and they want to know what you've been smokin'. :laughing:

Including today's brutal loss, 6-5 since May 2nd.

4.4 runs/game since May 1st (last 14 games) after averaging 3.7 the first 26 games.

Like I said, the rotation/bullpen needs work since it has regressed and seen injuries. But overall the team is doing better to start the month.

They're currently playing at a 68 win pace for the season, but at a 74 win pace this month.

If they continue to improve, such as chipping away by taking series', then they can challenge for cracking .500 for the year. Gregory Polanco should help when he's called up in about a month.

Lady Steel
05-17-2014, 04:39 PM
LET'S GO BUCS! Beat those stinkin' Yankees!

Lady Steel
05-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Buccos lose to the Yankees 7-1. That's some solid ball right there! :sofunny:

Lady Steel
05-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Thank you, Josh Harrison! http://www.cindyvallar.com/pirate.gif

Lady Steel
05-22-2014, 11:32 PM
The Bucs played a good game tonight. I'm proud of them. http://www.cindyvallar.com/pirate.gif

CrickRat23
05-24-2014, 12:25 PM
The Bucs have quietly put together a three game win streak. Let's hope they can keep it up.

NSMaster56
05-24-2014, 01:13 PM
The Bucs have quietly put together a three game win streak. Let's hope they can keep it up.

Yeah, it hasn't all been pretty, but wins are wins.

This team leads the league in blown saves. They're literally a few bad pitches away from having a winning record.

Overall, things are trending upward.

NSMaster56
06-02-2014, 11:49 AM
9-16 April (w/ 1-0 March)
15-14 May

And that is with numerous pitching injuries, Pedro's bat going fairly silent and with Marte's head up his ass.

When GP arrives in two weeks this team should only get better.

Lady Steel
06-03-2014, 01:16 AM
The Bucs have been on fire, and I'm lovin' it! :applaudit:

Pedro's bat going fairly silent and with Marte's head up his ass.

I'm not impressed with Pedro, but J-Hay is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Lady Steel
06-04-2014, 11:34 PM
Was hoping for the Pirates' first sweep of the season against the Padres tonight, but it was not to be. All in all, though, I'm quite happy with their West Coast jaunt.

Also,

Pirates don't plan to call up Polanco this week
By Tom Singer and Stephen Pianovich / MLB.com | 6/4/2014 10:26 P.M. ET

SAN DIEGO -- Contrary to widespread reports Wednesday, when the Pirates and Brewers meet Friday night in Pittsburgh, they will not be be doing so with top prospect Gregory Polanco in right field.

Polanco, the Bucs' prospect jewel, may already have one foot in PNC Park's right field. But his other foot will not land Friday, as various Internet outlets were reporting Wednesday.

A high-ranking Pirates official told MLB.com as those reports spread, "Club officials have not made a decision on when to call up Polanco." Another club official stressed, "Polanco will not be in Pittsburgh on Friday."

Polanco remained in the lineup of the Triple-A Indianapolis Indians for their game Wednesday night in Syracuse.

However, it must be acknowledged that the first reports of Polanco's imminent promotion came from PiratesProspect.com, a site tightly looped into the organization's farm system that usually has first-hand knowledge of planned transactions.

The latest rumors of Polanco's arrival have added credibility because he is believed to have comfortably passed the date that would have exposed him to an added year of salary arbitration as a Super Two player.

Were Polanco to join the Pirates on Friday, he would end the season with 115 days of service time. The projected cutoff at the end of this year is two years and 128 days. That cutoff has never been lower than two years and 122 days, which occurred after the 2013 and 2010 seasons.

Polanco, MLB.com's 12th-ranked prospect, has put up gaudy numbers at Triple-A Indianapolis this season. He has hit .351 with six homers, 47 RBIs, a .956 OPS and 14 stolen bases. He's had Pirates fans clamoring for his promotion all season, especially after posting a .400 batting average in April, and he'll likely hit first in the Bucs' order, a spot where he's been used recently in the Minors.

First playing professional baseball for the Pirates in the Dominican summer league at the age of 17, Polanco has a .287/.358/.436 slash line in six years in the Minors. His path to the Majors was fast-tracked in 2013 as Polanco, 22, started the year with Class A Advanced Bradenton and ended it in Indianapolis with a 68-game stint with Double-A Altoona sandwiched between.

Polanco, who stands at 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, will eventually play right field in Pittsburgh, joining an outfield with Andrew McCutchen and Starling Marte, which has the potential to be one of the better defensive outfields in the Majors.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140604&content_id=78198516&notebook_id=78230300&vkey=notebook_pit&c_id=pit

Lady Steel
06-06-2014, 10:22 PM
The Bucs just annihilated the Booers 15-5! Hell yeah! It was a really fun game.

Raise it! http://www.cindyvallar.com/pirate.gif

CrickRat23
06-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Let's hope the bats stay alive and the patience at the plate continues. The Bucs could really use a few wins against the Brew Crew to get back in the division hunt.
Let's Go Bucs !!!!

Lady Steel
06-08-2014, 09:23 PM
I would rather forget about yesterday's game. Pedro pisses me off so bad. I was ready to punch him in the mouth. Throwing the ball into the stands. Really? His defense sucks! We were thinking about going to the game yesterday, but decided against it. So glad we didn't go. I would have been blowing a gasket. :laughing:

We would have had a nice win today if the umpires hadn't screwed us.

Lady Steel
06-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Bucs anticipate top prospect Polanco's callup
By Stephen Pianovich and Tom Singer / MLB.com
6/8/2014

PITTSBURGH -- There are many conversations surrounding Gregory Polanco in the Steel City. Almost all of which ask the same question: when will he get here?

But once the Pirates' prized and productive prospect does arrive, there's another question those in the organization will have to ask: where does he hit in the order?

Polanco was recently moved up to leadoff spot for Triple-A Indianapolis, and he's continued to tear the cover off the ball. But that does not necessarily mean he'll be first in the order when he starts wearing a Pirates uniform.

Josh Harrison has settled into the Bucs' leadoff role in the last three weeks. Harrison carried a 10-game hitting streak into Sunday's series finale against the Brewers and is batting .330 with 18 runs scored and a .911 OPS when he hits first in the order this season.

Harrison has primarily played right field, the same position as Polanco, but is the most versatile player on the Pirates' roster and has played both corner outfield spots, third base, second base and shortstop this season. Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said not knowing who to bat first between Harrison and Polanco would be a "great problem to have," and he hinted at scenarios in which they're both in the lineup with Harrison leading off.

"It's hard to take that sparkplug out of the lineup," Huntington said of Harrison. "That'd be a great thing, to be able to drop Gregory to a less demanding role.

"If Josh continues to play the way he has and the offense continues to roll the way it has in the last five to six weeks, Gregory can come in and be a guy. He doesn't have to be the guy."

Polanco, ranked as the No. 12 prospect in baseball by MLB.com, has a .350 average, .409 on-base percentage, seven homers and 49 RBIs in 61 games for Indianapolis. Fans in Pittsburgh have been clamoring for the 22-year-old's arrival all season, especially in recent weeks. Polanco will get here eventually, but Huntington didn't shed any light on the specific timing of Polanco's inevitable promotion.

"Our goal is to bring him here when we feel it's the right time," Huntington said. "In an ideal world, we'd like to get him some more plate appearances down there. What he's doing has allowed us to shorten that time frame a little bit."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140608&content_id=78817682&notebook_id=78841366&vkey=notebook_pit&c_id=pit

Fan Kicks Gregory Polanco In Head While Diving For A Live Baseball
Published on Jun 8, 2014

During Saturday night's game between the Indianapolis Indians and Lehigh Valley IronPigs, a very dumb fan dived for a live ball and hit Gregory Polanco on the head in the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umG87z4DO54

Lady Steel
06-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Polanco finally called up! :applaudit: So nervous for him. Lots of pressure. Hope we get to see him tonight.

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery for Neil Walker after undergoing an appendectomy.

Also, don't forget to vote Bucs for the All-Star Game!

Lady Steel
06-12-2014, 05:43 AM
I am now officially on the "I Hate Pedro Alvarez train." How many more times is he going to throw the ball into the stands before he's sitting on the bench? He's so overrated.

Get well soon, J-Hay! We need ya at 3rd base!

Lady Steel
06-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Ben Roethlisberger has tickets to tonight's game. :applaudit:

CrickRat23
06-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Ben Roethlisberger has tickets to tonight's game. :applaudit:

I saw on Sports Center that Ben took some BP and he hit pitching coach Ray Searage in the head.

Lady Steel
06-13-2014, 08:28 PM
I saw on Sports Center that Ben took some BP and he hit pitching coach Ray Searage in the head.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/8/2/8/79575828/BigBenBP_j348dq7q.gif

:chuckle:

Lady Steel
06-13-2014, 11:51 PM
Congratulations to Polanco on hitting his first major league homerun (a two run homer at that) tonight to win the game in extra innings against the Marlins.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v33693361/pitmia-polanco-slugs-first-mlb-homer-in-13th-inning

CrickRat23
06-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Let the Polanco era begin. Congrats to him. He had a big game at the plate last night.

NSMaster56
06-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Vance Worley to start Sunday.

Pirates need him and Locke to hold this rotation together. Locke's been doing his part, so far.

The bullpen needs a kick in the ass, too.

NSMaster56
06-14-2014, 07:20 PM
The bullpen almost didn't let it happen, but... .500!

NSMaster56
06-15-2014, 03:49 PM
This is officially ridiculous.

CrickRat23
06-20-2014, 10:27 AM
I think it is time for a new closer. Too many blown saves from Grilli here lately.

Lady Steel
06-20-2014, 01:10 PM
I think it is time for a new closer. Too many blown saves from Grilli here lately.

Yeah, Grilli hasn't been having a good year.

I'm not real hip on that Pimento Loaf guy. He sucks.

Lady Steel
06-21-2014, 12:04 AM
Pirates notebook: Grilli out, Melancon in as Pirates closer
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Friday, June 20, 2014

CHICAGO — If losing the closer's job rattled Pirates reliever Jason Grilli, he did not show it.

During a short meeting before Friday's game against the Chicago Cubs, manager Clint Hurdle told Grilli he's being replaced by Mark Melancon.

Hurdle later indicated the switch is only temporary until Grilli can work out of his slump.

“I've walked through fire before,” said Grilli, 37, who has bounced back from setbacks and surgeries throughout his career. “This is nothing. I'll get through it.”

Melancon, who had 16 saves last year while Grilli was injured, will get the bulk of the save chances. Left-hander Tony Watson will work the ninth inning on days when Melancon needs a breather.

“We're very confident in what Mark can do (as the closer),” Hurdle said.

Hurdle did not define Grilli's new role.

“We're going to give him the opportunity to get a few outings in ... I don't even want to use the word ‘leverage' situations,” Hurdle said. “We'll use him when we're behind.”

Grilli worked the eighth inning Friday with the Pirates trailing 6-3. He got a pair of strikeouts, then gave up a walk and a single. Luis Valbuena flied out to end the inning.

Grilli's demotion came one day after he served up a game-tying solo homer to Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco.

It was Grilli's fourth blown save in 20 appearances this season. The right-hander is 0-2 with a 4.34 ERA.

Last year, his first as a full-time closer, Grilli had 33 saves and two blown saves in 54 outings.

“I'm going to work through it,” Grilli said. “I'm in a little bit of a slump, but nothing that I can't overcome. So, I'm not worried about it.”

Grilli has allowed four home runs, equaling his total from last season. According to Hurdle, two of the homers came on fastballs and two (including Mesoraco's shot) were on sliders.

“Jason's always been a fastball guy,” Hurdle said. “The breaking ball makes his fastball a little quicker and a little better. He's one of the veteran guys in the league who can use that fastball up top. Right now, it's just not working.”

Grilli said he is healthy, a claim supported by his stable fastball velocity. However, he's used his fastball less often this season.

According to Fangraphs, Grilli has thrown the fastball 63.1 percent of the time, his lowest rate since 2011 when he joined the Pirates.

Pitching coach Ray Searage said he believes Grilli is throwing his fastball with as much conviction as ever. The problem, Searage said, is mechanical.

“It's about executing pitches,” Searage said. “He's doing something that's preventing him from getting consistency with his breaking ball. It's like anyone else going through a slump. You know he can pitch, so we're going to help him get through this.”

Grilli is nearing the end of a two-year, $6.75 million contract.

TEKE OUT FOR SEASON

Kent Tekulve, the Pirates' closer for their 1979 World Series championship, will miss the rest of this baseball season as Root Sports' in-studio commentator for “personal” reasons, he said Friday night. He said Root has told him the job will be his again once he returns, and he expects to do so.

Ken Macha, the former major league player and manager out of Monroeville, will fill in for Tekulve. He began with Friday's Pirates-Cubs broadcast.

PLANET OF THE ACHES

Second baseman Neil Walker (appendectomy) took four at-bats, two from each side of the plate, against live pitching in a simulated game Friday in Bradenton, Fla. Walker also fielded ground balls, ran the bases and took batting practice. He's on track to come off the disabled list Tuesday. ... Left-hander Francisco Liriano (left oblique strain) played catch again Friday and said his sore side feels better. He said there is no timetable for his return.

MINOR MATTERS

Five Altoona players — outfielder Keon Broxton, third baseman Jarek Cunningham, infielder Gift Ngoepe, utilityman Andy Vasquez and left-hander Yao-Hsun Yang — were given three-game suspensions by the Double-A Eastern League. The players were involved in an on-field brawl Wednesday during a game against New Hampshire.

The players will not have to serve their suspensions at the same time. Cunningham, Ngoepe and Yang went on the suspended list Friday after the completion of a suspended game in Portland. Also, Altoona placed first baseman Stetson Allie on the disabled list because of a concussion.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/6294862-74/grilli-hurdle-closer#axzz34ty1NY75

I still :heart: you, Jason!

Lady Steel
06-23-2014, 11:58 PM
How about that 3 run homer by Pedro? And that amazing catch by J-Hay! :applaudit:

Buccos win 8-1 versus the Rays! Whoop! Whoop!

#18 coming back tomorrow! :thumbsup:

NSMaster56
06-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Real deal will be a nice addition to a team on the upswing since GP's arrival.

Bucs need to keep adding Ws in this soft portion of their schedule.

Lady Steel
06-24-2014, 10:23 PM
And there it is! The Buccos are now above .500 for the first time since April 15th! :thumbsup:

NSMaster56
06-27-2014, 10:52 PM
I'd hate to think where this team would be without Josh Harrison.

CrickRat23
06-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Good bye Jason Grilli. In a way I hate to see you leave Pittsburgh, ( you were one of the good guys and a positive influence to the team and community), but winning games is what it is all about, and there were too many blown saves this season. Good luck in Anaheim.

CrickRat23
06-28-2014, 10:28 AM
I'd hate to think where this team would be without Josh Harrison.

That rundown J Hay was in last night was unreal. He showed some flashy moves while in the rundown. Then he came through with the big hit to win the game. They have to find a way to keep him in the lineup (can he be our everyday shortstop). I like him at third, but I also like the big bat ability of Pedro. J Hay just finds ways to win games.

Lady Steel
06-28-2014, 12:22 PM
J-Hay is a superstar! Love that guy! :applaudit:

Also, good luck and best wishes to Jason Grilli during his time with the Angels. :frown: Thank you for everything you have done for my beloved Bucs! I will miss looking at you! So damn yummy. :laughing:

NSMaster56
07-01-2014, 09:42 PM
That. Was. Awesome.

CrickRat23
07-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Great win by those boys tonight. That's the great thing about baseball, the game is not over until the last out. There is no quit in this team. Maybe the Buccos are starting to hit their stride.

Let's Go Bucs !!!

Lady Steel
07-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Was hoping for that first sweep against the D-backs, but it wasn't to be. We have the Curse of the Sweep. :frown:

How's Frieri working out for us thus far? We shoulda just kept my sweetie, Grilli! Time will tell, though. :laughing:

LET'S GO BUCS!

Lady Steel
07-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Finally! :applaudit:

http://www.ballermindframe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/The-Sweep.jpg

SteelerJT
07-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Finally! :applaudit:

http://www.ballermindframe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/The-Sweep.jpg
I was at the game yesterday. The Phillies are God awful this year :chuckle:

Lady Steel
07-06-2014, 04:31 PM
I was at the game yesterday. The Phillies are God awful this year :chuckle:

Yeah, they're pretty sucky. :laughing:

We're now in 2nd place in the NLC! :thumbsup:

Lady Steel
07-06-2014, 11:12 PM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10533253_708439205884684_561934606850250378_n.jpg

Congratulations, guys!

So happy J-Hay made it. I voted for him a trillion times as a write-in vote. :applaudit:

Sad that Neil Walker didn't make it. :frown:

SteelerJT
07-06-2014, 11:47 PM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10533253_708439205884684_561934606850250378_n.jpg

Congratulations, guys!

So happy J-Hay made it. I voted for him a trillion times as a write-in vote. :applaudit:

Sad that Neil Walker didn't make it. :frown:
Wow. I was sure Walker would make it.

CrickRat23
07-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Congrats to this year's All Stars.
Let's hope the Buccos can keep their stride going tonight. This is a big series against the Cardinals.

Lady Steel
07-07-2014, 02:16 PM
2014 Pirates All-Stars announced
Manager Clint Hurdle announces the Pirates' 2014 All-Star selections

It wouldn't let me embed the video correctly, so here's the link:

http://m.mlb.com/video/v34365239/hurdle-announces-pirates-2014-allstars/?partnerId=as_pit_20140707_27370536

Lady Steel
07-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Tough loss tonight, but it was an excellent game. We'll get 'em tomorrow!

NSMaster56
07-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Tough loss tonight, but it was an excellent game. We'll get 'em tomorrow!

Adam Wainwright. Ugh.

Outhit the redbirds 7-1 through seven and still couldn't manage a run.

Frustrating.

Thankfully it only counts as one loss.

CrickRat23
07-10-2014, 04:09 PM
The Bucs need to avoid the sweep tonight. After two disappointing walk off loses, and last night's loss, they really need a win tonight.
Let's Go Bucs !!!!!!!!!!!!

Pappy
07-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks to our old rivals the Phillies for sweeping the Brewers and making this trip to St. Louis not as bad as it could have been. We sure could use a win tonite. Hear Molina is out for 6 to 8 weeks and also Phillips for the reds for the same amount of time. Might help us get back into the race for first place.

CrickRat23
07-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Good win last night in St. Louis. Let's win the series against the Reds, and the Buccos will still be in the hunt for the division crown at the all star break.

Lady Steel
07-12-2014, 01:49 AM
I swear to God, If Pedro throws one more (bleep) ball into the stands, I'm gonna kick him in the beans. That play turned the tide in tonight's game. That's at least three times he's done that this year that I remember. Could be more but I blocked it out and don't remember. :mad:

On a cuter note,

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10476486_10202464198752834_4685284287917788073_n.j pg

NSMaster56
07-12-2014, 10:48 AM
That's at least three times he's done that this year that I remember. Could be more but I blocked it out and don't remember. :mad:

At this point it's probably closer to 30 than three.

Lady Steel
07-13-2014, 02:22 AM
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/4/files/2011/01/rbsupercutch.jpg

What an exciting game! I was on the edge of my seat, and it had the perfect ending. :applaudit:

With that being said, I'm still really bitter over the Grilli trade. We definitely got the shitty end of that deal. Frieri really sucks.

CrickRat23
07-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Cutch comes through in the clutch. He is playing like a league MVP once again. So glad he is a Pirate.

NSMaster56
07-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Jaff Decker looks like the kid from Zombie Nightmare:

http://horrorpediadotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/zombienightmare-thor.jpg

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jaff+Decker+Pittsburgh+Pirates+Photo+Day+7yDaoyXhX eZl.jpg

Lady Steel
07-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Is it Friday yet?

LET'S GO BUCS!

Lady Steel
07-19-2014, 02:02 AM
And the second half of the season starts off with a win! http://www.cindyvallar.com/pirate.gif

CrickRat23
07-21-2014, 10:23 AM
A couple of nice comeback wins give the Bucs a sweep of the Rockies. There is no quit in this team.

NSMaster56
07-21-2014, 12:39 PM
1.5 back.

CrickRat23
07-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Another nice series win for the Bucs. Two out of three over the Dodgers, I will take that.

CrickRat23
07-24-2014, 12:55 PM
I heard a rumer that the Pirates may look to bring A.J. Burnett back to help bolster the rotation. It all hinges on the fact that the Phillies pay part of the massive contract A.J. signed. What are your thoughts on bringing him back. Like I said, it is only a rumer.

NSMaster56
07-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Lineup is getting thin with Marte on the DL and Pedro's knee aching.

Need to survive the next two weeks.

CrickRat23
07-26-2014, 10:48 AM
The Buccos need to hit the ball in that Colorado air. Let's get the bats going boys.

Lady Steel
07-27-2014, 12:37 AM
I heard a rumer that the Pirates may look to bring A.J. Burnett back to help bolster the rotation. It all hinges on the fact that the Phillies pay part of the massive contract A.J. signed. What are your thoughts on bringing him back. Like I said, it is only a rumer.

I've heard this rumor, too. I really don't want him back. He's too old and we whooped his ass when we played the Phillies. He left for more money, so screw him! :laughing:

Lady Steel
07-27-2014, 12:38 AM
Things aren't lookin' good in Colorado. :frown:

CrickRat23
07-28-2014, 10:48 AM
The Bucs managed to win one in Colorado. Let's hope the bats get going in San Fran.

cali_fan
07-28-2014, 11:34 AM
I'm a Giants fan. Welcome to the Bay Bucs.
Good luck but not too much luck though lol

CrickRat23
07-29-2014, 11:13 AM
Hey Cali_fan, the Buccos came out hot in the Bay area last night. They also got a pretty good pitching performance from Worley with his first career shutout. No offense, but I hope they sweep your Giants. Lol.
Let's Go Bucs !!!

cali_fan
07-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Hey Cali_fan, the Buccos came out hot in the Bay area last night. They also got a pretty good pitching performance from Worley with his first career shutout. No offense, but I hope they sweep your Giants. Lol.
Let's Go Bucs !!!

Good game. You guys beat our asses.
Round 2 tonight.

Let's go GIANTS

cali_fan
07-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Random question.
Why don't pirates fans wave their terrible towels at pirates games?

I know It's a steelers thing but it's all black n gold and a pitts thing so why not? I just expected to see them a lot more often

NSMaster56
07-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Random question.
Why don't pirates fans wave their terrible towels at pirates games?

I know It's a steelers thing but it's all black n gold and a pitts thing so why not? I just expected to see them a lot more often

For one, and as this board shows, there isn't a ton of overlap between Pirates and Steelers fans.

Also, baseball is a more docile game. Fewer chances to 'get loud'.

Lastly, as you state, it's probably considered more of a 'Steelers thing'.

We'll always have Zoltan though.

cali_fan
07-29-2014, 01:32 PM
For one, and as this board shows, there isn't a ton of overlap between Pirates and Steelers fans.

Also, baseball is a more docile game. Fewer chances to 'get loud'.

Lastly, as you state, it's probably considered more of a 'Steelers thing'.

We'll always have Zoltan though.

Well most fans during the playoffs use rally towels so I expected when the Bucs made it last season I'd see a sea of terrible towels.

Would've been kind of cool

Lady Steel
07-29-2014, 09:44 PM
A t the sports bar to watch the bucs tonight
alreaDt a little bit tips. go Bucs!

NSMaster56
07-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Via CBS Sports, an article to justify...

"The Thing" has a hold on Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez - and it could cost him his starting job.

"The Thing" in baseball parlance is an inexplicable inability to throw accurately to the point it becomes a mental block. Alvarez has 23 errors this season, more than any player in any position in the major leagues, and 21 have come on throws. He has hidden when the media has come around to ask him about it, according to the Beaver County Times.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_C8MvWf0S7KU/S89m-8Xzp1I/AAAAAAAAAJI/aOzGztJgrl0/s1600/BusyBeaver_002.jpg

CrickRat23
07-31-2014, 10:08 AM
What a sloppy game yesterday afternoon. Yesterday was the first time I have ever seen a double play on a walk. That was just down right ridiculous. On a positive note, the Buccos did win the series.

Lady Steel
08-02-2014, 01:42 PM
What an exciting game last night! :applaudit:

CrickRat23
08-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Two big wins the past two nights, and both games had a little bit of fireworks. Cutch was pissed when he got plunked, and he had the right to be. That was a gutless move on the Diamondbacks part, waiting until the game was out of hand before they hit Cutch. This could make for a pretty interesting game this afternoon. Let's Go Bucs.

Lady Steel
08-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Two big wins the past two nights, and both games had a little bit of fireworks. Cutch was pissed when he got plunked, and he had the right to be. That was a gutless move on the Diamondbacks part, waiting until the game was out of hand before they hit Cutch. This could make for a pretty interesting game this afternoon. Let's Go Bucs.

I'm still reeling over that plunking by Delgado. Hit Cutch right in the spine, and I hope he pays severely for it. :mad:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/ad9009f80993919094d8f2faecdb0a63f13082ff/c=84-0-2916-2130&r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/Phoenix/Phoenix/2014/08/02/1407038027000-PNI-dbacks-main-0803-25.JPG

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/e350c60a639ca04d1e6e8b6af9951b8773eaafe9/c=48-0-2958-2190&r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/Phoenix/Phoenix/2014/08/02/1407038027001-PNI-dbacks-main-0803-26.JPG

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/c4aeb4abe66a662649b1c3e04305f48ca2f3b2ac/c=128-0-2380-3000&r=383&c=0-0-380-510/local/-/media/Phoenix/Phoenix/2014/08/02/1407038027002-PNI-dbacks-main-0803-27.JPG

Bayz101
08-03-2014, 08:42 PM
that's as pissed as I've seen him, and he had a right to be.

SteelerJT
08-03-2014, 09:10 PM
that's as pissed as I've seen him, and he had a right to be.

He deserves the MVP again solely for the restraint he showed in not casing a dugout clearing fight after almost being paralyzed.

CrickRat23
08-03-2014, 09:40 PM
He deserves the MVP again solely for the restraint he showed in not casing a dugout clearing fight after almost being paralyzed.

I agree SteelerJT. Cutch showed so much restraint in not charging after Delgado when he got plunked. I think Cutch knows how important he is to this team (and the City of Pittsburgh) that he did not want to get suspended and hurt his team,(although I think I could have forgave him for that one). Besides, I don't think Delgado wanted any part of Cutch because he was halfway to the dugout before Andrew even stood back up.

CrickRat23
08-04-2014, 11:27 AM
I see Cutch is now day to day. His x-ray was negative, but the injury is muscular, and he may miss a few games. I hope this is not the case.
Marte should be rejoining the team this week, but he is no Cutch.

NSMaster56
08-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Cutch to 15 day DL.

Continue gnashing of teeth.

Lady Steel
08-05-2014, 02:37 AM
We've got a problem, Pittsburgh. Oblique muscle injuries are no joke. When Cutch comes back, he could take one swing of the bat and reinjure the oblique. He is the face of the franchise, however, and I know he will be receiving the best medical care possible. Thoughts and prayers to Cutch for a speedy recovery.

Our playoff hopes look a little grim right now, but I still believe.

Oh, and screw those dirty playin' Douchebacks! I now hate them forever! :mad:

P.S. I'm going to the game tomorrow night (or I guess I should say tonight) against the Marlins. Received free tickets and will be hangin' at the Budweiser Bowtie Bar. :applaudit:

LET'S GO BUCS!

The Pierogi
08-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Travis Sawchik ‏@Sawchik_Trib 18m
Some clarification: McCutchen has an avulsion fracture of 11th rib. He described it as cartilage torn away from rib....not a bone fracture

Starling Marte recalled from AAA Indianapolis, Pedro Alvarez placed on the bereavement list.

Lady Steel
08-06-2014, 01:17 AM
I blame Canada for tonight's loss because blaming the obvious just hurts too much. :frown:

I had fun at the game, though. Well, until it all fell apart anyway.

CrickRat23
08-07-2014, 10:10 PM
After letting one slip away Tuesday, the Bucs come back with two nice wins against the Marlins. The Buccos win another series, I will take it.
RAISE IT !!!!!

Lady Steel
08-12-2014, 01:39 AM
Great win tonight! It was fun to watch, although I got a little worried there towards the end of the game.

NSMaster56
08-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Great win tonight! It was fun to watch, although I got a little worried there towards the end of the game.

The bullpen never makes it easy.

The first five innings were quite fun though!

Lady Steel
08-13-2014, 11:35 PM
Just arrived home from an Altoona Curve game. They won 4-2! :applaudit: We were hoping to see Josh Bell, but he didn't play tonight. :frown: It was a really good game, though, and we had a lot of fun.

I was so excited when they announced that our Bucs were leading the Tigers 4-1, and then saddened when the Tigers pulled ahead. Oh well, hopefully we'll get 'em tomorrow.

CrickRat23
08-14-2014, 12:10 AM
Altoona is a very nice place to catch a game. My family and I enjoy going to ball games there. Between my wife, my three daughters, and myself we can watch a game for about $50, and those are seats right behind the Curve dugout. My girls love it because they always get a ball every time we go.

NSMaster56
08-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Well that sucked.

NSMaster56
08-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Now this is just painful.

Lady Steel
08-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Now this is just painful.

Yep. I'm not a happy camper. :frown:

Lady Steel
08-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Column: This is on Pedro Alvarez
DEJAN KOVACEVIC, DK ON PITTSBURGH SPORTS

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/453662942.jpg
Pedro Alvarez attempts a throw from one knee Sunday in Washington. ó GETTY IMAGES

This is on Pedro Alvarez.

Honestly, Iím tired of tiptoeing around it, tired of hearing and reading every other imaginable excuse for why these dogged, determined and, yes, talented Pirates havenít been able to assume anything more than a short-lived hold on contention this summer. Or, in the context of their current five-game losing streak, why theyíre suddenly in peril of falling out of contention entirely.

Sure, the injuries have hurt, especially those of Andrew McCutchen, Neil Walker and Gerrit Cole. The list of blame could also tally up Francisco Lirianoís customary off-year, Charlie Mortonís relentless losing, Jason Grilliís early blowups, Neal Huntingtonís maddening summer-long denial about his bullpen, all these bench guys even their wives wouldnít recognize, and it could climb all the way up to Bob Nuttingís payroll still being several million shy of acceptable and all the usual suspects.

Devour that list as you will.

But hereís the cold truth once youíre done with the distractions: No single factor has weighed this team down more than that the defending National League home run champion, around whom a lineup and an infield and to some extent an organization have been built, has been an unmitigated bleeping disaster.

Whatís more, itís safe to say that if Alvarez were even a notch or two above the unmitigated-bleeping-disaster level, the entire 2014 season would have a far different feel to it.

Sorry if thatís asking too much.

And sorry, for real, if any of this sounds mean. That isnít the intent.

But good luck disputing it.

At the plate, Alvarez is batting .233 with a .314 on-base percentage, 15 home runs and 51 RBIs. Those last two figures last season were 36 and 100. Itís gotten so bad heís batted eighth, and heís been benched for Jayson Nix and some other journeyman Iíve already forgotten. Itís gotten so bad that, when his team has needed him the most, heís batted a cumulative .206 for July and August.

Whose fault is that?

Clint Hurdleís?

Hitting coach Jeff Bransonís, even though heís had superlative results with most everyone else?

Please.

Hereís what Branson had to say about Alvarezís hitting when I asked if the hitting were related to the far more monstrous issue of all those errant throws: ďI donít think Pedroís brought that with him to the plate. I really donít. What Iíve seen is a player who, last year, went up there knowing what the pitcher was going to pitch him and knowing that heíd attack it. What Iíve seen a lot this year is a player who goes up there trying to guess what the pitcher will throw him, then reacting to his guess. Heís going after his pitch.Ē

That sounds like a confidence issue, so, obviously, it could be related to the throwing. Either way, itís poor performance.

In the field, of course, Alvarez passed the unmitigated disaster road-post many miles ago. He has 25 errors, five more than anyone else in the game, almost entirely because of the wild throwing. This oneís gotten so bad that heíll soon be a first-time-in-his-life first baseman, a move thatís phenomenally rare for a contender in midseason.

The fans of Pittsburgh have responded, admirably, with empathy as it relates to the throwing. Itís hard not to. Iíve felt it myself on so many of those throws, especially in the past month. This matter would appear to be psychological in nature, and as Steve Blass, Chuck Knoblauch, Steve Sax and others have demonstrated, thatís all too real.

But again, letís bring it back to hardcore baseball: All those errors alone have cost the Pirates, what, a half-dozen games?

Funny, but weíll tear apart Tony Watson for his terrible pitch to Adam LaRoche over the weekend in D.C., and weíll call for a new closer after Mark Melancon blows one the next day, but weíll completely forget and forgive that, had the Pirates probably would have beaten the Nationals on Sunday had Alvarez executed the simplest, shortest throw to Russell Martin?

Thatís not fair. And itís not coming to terms with reality. Itís tantamount to saying itís fine for one player to falter time and again but no one else.

None of that sentiment is new, of course. Alvarez has been handled with kid gloves ó some might say coddled ó almost every day since his drafting. There was the long summer of hot negotiations between the Pirates and super-agent Scott Boras, a period in which Alvarez was basically secluded to avoid the media or even hearing about the news. Itís one thing to decline comment. Cole, another Boras client, did that while also speaking freely on any other topic. But Alvarez just disappeared.

There was that time in his rookie year when Huntington quietly put an end to some rather innocent rookie hazing, ostensibly because he was worried how it would affect Alvarez. I was on the daily beat then and can attest that veterans felt it was done for that reason. Similar practices followed as he rose through the minors, where exceptions were made out of concern for his feelings.

This policy is still in effect, as I see it, through the lack of criticism of Alvarez. In fact, when times get really tough, as they are now, the general approach is to not speak about him at all.

And, while again acknowledging empathy on the throwing issue, I canít understand why. The mental part of professional sports is every bit as critical as the physical. Those who fail at it donít last. Simple as that. No lollipop is given on the way out the door.

Alvarez is 27 now, for crying out loud. Heís been in the majors for half a decade.

When, exactly, does that indelible prospect label ever get shed?

McCutchen is 27, too. So is Josh Harrison. So is Sidney Crosby, if you want to stretch beyond the sport. Antonio Brown wonít turn 27 until next year.

Are they also works in progress?

If the coddling, protecting, whatever youíd want to call it havenít worked to this point, couldnít it be realistic that treating him like just any other player might be beneficial?

Hereís what I hope: I hope Alvarez makes his debut at first base tonight at PNC Park against the Braves. Many scouts have felt all along heíd wind up there, anyway, so let it be done. I further hope that Alvarez is put into the cleanup spot, challenged ó and I mean challenged ó to man up and do the job the entire franchise and city is counting on him to do. And from there, I hope he has a clean showing at first, followed by a towering home run to beat Atlanta and be greeted at home by a mob.

But I also hope itís painfully obvious exactly how much scenes like that have been missed.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014/08/18/column-this-is-on-pedro-alvarez/

Some truth tea. I've been saying Pedro is overrated and my opinion hasn't changed.

Lady Steel
08-18-2014, 11:11 PM
I'm now counting on my other hand how many games our Bucs have lost in a row. :frown:

NSMaster56
08-19-2014, 09:57 PM
It somehow got worse.

CrickRat23
08-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Is it just me or does it feel like the season is falling apart for the Bucs. The Buccos need to somehow find a way to right the ship and put together some sort of winning streak.

NSMaster56
08-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Is it just me or does it feel like the season is falling apart for the Bucs. The Buccos need to somehow find a way to right the ship and put together some sort of winning streak.

Not just you.

Feels like a mix of 2011-12, only this is somehow worse because this is a good team being derailed by injuries and the bullpen.

Lady Steel
08-20-2014, 11:35 PM
Booyah! :applaudit: http://www.cindyvallar.com/pirate.gif

Lady Steel
08-21-2014, 12:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh4Womwv1Bg

Lady Steel
08-22-2014, 04:49 AM
Back to Milwaukee. :hope:

CrickRat23
08-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Tonight is the start of a big series. If the Bucs want a chance at winning the division crown they need to start by winning tonight. Let's Go Bucs !!!!

Lady Steel
08-23-2014, 04:19 AM
Oh yeah, baby! Last night's game was so much fun to watch. We needed that win badly. Raise it! http://www.cindyvallar.com/pirate.gif

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/s480x480/10410306_10152770547410809_8645262783147938147_n.j pg?oh=fb4e12494ddc2a0cc3b6b03c3e92c354&oe=546A75DB&__gda__=1417414434_2682ecd30116bec4b8b29635051c86b 9

:heart: that guy! He's a supastar! :laughing:

Lady Steel
08-24-2014, 12:23 AM
I just love when our Bucs beat the living crap out of the Booers in Milwaukee. Good times! http://www.cindyvallar.com/pirate.gif

CrickRat23
08-24-2014, 11:57 PM
I will take two out of three in Milwaukee. Now let's win the series against the Cardinals.

NSMaster56
08-26-2014, 09:40 PM
BRU-TAL.

NSMaster56
08-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Ike Davis lives?!

Lady Steel
08-27-2014, 12:57 AM
I was getting worried there for awhile. Tonight's game was eerily similar to last night's, but Ike's 3-run homer was a thing of beauty. So exciting! :applaudit:

Lady Steel
08-27-2014, 07:19 PM
I missed this afternoon's game as I was busy and forgot it was on. I know our Bucs won (yay!), but did anything juicy happen?

Lady Steel
08-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Freakin' Starling Marte! Made the difference in having a tied game and going into extra innings. :frown:

CrickRat23
09-01-2014, 11:56 AM
The Bucs are right where they need to be, only two games back and starting a big ( and I mean BIG ) series with the Cards.

NSMaster56
09-01-2014, 04:48 PM
This crap again...

CrickRat23
09-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Another blown opportunity yesterday. Damn.

CrickRat23
09-03-2014, 09:08 AM
The Bucs need to find a way to salvage a win against the Cardinals today. They are letting the division race slip away. The good thing is, they are still in it for the division race, and they are still very well in the hunt for a wildcard slot because the other front runners are also losing as well.

CrickRat23
09-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Another disappointing loss today. That puts the Bucs five games back of the Cards now, it just seems to me like the playoffs are slipping away. I know there is still a lot of baseball to be played, but I am just not confident in the Bucs right now. I hope they can turn things around.

Lady Steel
09-04-2014, 02:57 AM
Today's loss stung. A lot. :frown:

NSMaster56
09-04-2014, 01:06 PM
The Bucs can't underestimate the Cubs at Wrigley. They've called up their big young bats and have been hitting lately.

Lady Steel
09-07-2014, 02:34 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10583799_958018110881829_8295203504153869878_n.jpg ?oh=783e6d004ff0501a8c2e8a4ccb39b657&oe=548E452E&__gda__=1419413663_7655b15c1be95686bed46beea4f02da 4

+2 today! :applaudit:

Lady Steel
09-08-2014, 01:38 AM
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/p403x403/10620723_10152644236337931_1480302911664577993_n.j pg?oh=909c929f7d22a07cba0b8565f5cbdfa2&oe=549FE46E

http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/b/brooms/graphics-brooms-608407.gif

And with that we moved into the 2nd Wild Card spot!

Lady Steel
09-11-2014, 02:33 AM
VIDEO: Andrew McCutchen hits 1st career inside-the-park homer

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/575426

Awesome!

Lady Steel
09-12-2014, 01:07 AM
Oh yeah, baby! Our Bucs didn't let us down today! Raise it! :applaudit:

steelersfan77
09-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Good to see this team bounce back. 6 and 1 since an ugly weekend in St.Louis.

Did what they had to do.

CrickRat23
09-12-2014, 08:44 AM
The Bucs are playing pretty good ball right now. I hope they can keep it going for the nine game home stand. Last week I thought the division crown was slipping away, now the Buccos are only 2.5 games out. There is still some hope. Let's Go Bucs.

Lady Steel
09-18-2014, 10:00 PM
http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/b/brooms/graphics-brooms-608407.gif

Take that Red Sox! :applaudit:

And with that, the Pittsburgh Pirates have their 2nd winning season in a row!

Love ya, Bucs!

NSMaster56
09-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Abso Buc'n lutely!

SteelerJT
09-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Abso Buc'n lutely!
Does one or two more wins clinch over the Brewers?

NSMaster56
09-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Does one or two more wins clinch over the Brewers?

The Magic number is now five.

Two more wins should make it one.

Lady Steel
09-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Colin Dunlap: Clint Hurdle Fights Through The Pain
September 18, 2014 6:33 PM

Clint Hurdle says a prayer each morning.

Maybe more than one, but recently heís been working in a specific request.

ďI say, ĎGive me the strength and courage to burden my pain so that my pain doesnít become a burden for others,íĒ Hurdle said of his appeal.

We might all be able to see the badges of his pain ó the constant limp and his inability to sit down in the dugout ó but itís impossible to quantify precisely what the Pirates manager is physically going through as his team navigates into the center of a Division and Wild Card race.

You see, all the way back to the beginning of the season, it was apparent to Hurdle that he needed hip-replacement surgery after an off-season doctor visit yielded a chronic arthritis diagnosis.

Have you seen him recently amble out to make a pitching change or agonizingly stroll to the home plate umpire to alert him of a double-switch?

It pains me, it probably pains you ó I canít imagine how much that hurting hip pains him.

And those are the moments we see, the ones for public consumption.

What we donít see are the long charter flights where Hurdle has been forced to stand in the aisle of the aircraft because itís too excruciating to sit down.

We donít see the private moments at home where the most mundane tasks ó and sleeping ó have become a demanding chore.

We donít see the spans of time in his hotel room on the road, where he sometimes finds himself standing even after the most tiresome of days because the discomfort of sitting is unbearable.

We donít see the cane heís sometimes taken to using recently, either.

In a way, though, Hurdle is doing this to himself because of his devotion to the men in that clubhouse. At any time during the season he could have shut it down, delegated ultimate power to his staff and had the hip-replacement then returned after he recovered.

He just couldnít bring himself to be away from this team.

Not in a pennant chase.

Not at this time.

Not when heís come this far.

Hurdle will have the operation very soon after the season ends.

ďThis thing got on its own course and has progressed much more rapidly than anybody had anticipated and, basically, any other cases the experts had come across,Ē Hurdle said.

A few months ago, Hurdle had a conversation with medical professionals caring for him and asked, at that time, how many patients they had with a hip in that current state who kept pushing through without surgery.

ďNobody,Ē was the answer. ďYou should have had the operation two months ago.Ē

But he didnít. The skipper has pressed on through the throbbing and stinging, attempting to block it out the best he can as his ballclub marches toward the postseason.

But you can see it as he winces when he walks, you can see it with each measured step of that piercing gait ó his hip is bothering the hell out of him.

Hurdle is also a recovering alcoholic, putting the bottle down for what he envisions forever in 1998.

As such, while many in the run-up to such a surgery ó and then immediate aftermath ó would opt for narcotic painkillers, Hurdle wonít go near them.

ďAs a recovering alcoholic, I canít touch them and I wonít touch them, just a road I canít go down, narcotics are something that arenít an option for me,Ē Hurdle said candidly and forthright. ďOn the days we fly Iíll take one non-narcotic painkiller to try to get me through the flight, but thatís it in terms of pain management.Ē

A source in the medical field familiar with Hurdleís condition was asked about the manager not taking daily painkillers to counterbalance the pain and said: ďThatís gladiator-type stuff right there. I would imagine the pain every day is unimaginable.Ē

The pain is also not lost on his team.

When catcher Russell Martin ó a man who plays baseballís most demanding position ó was initially approached and asked about what his manager is dealing with, his first reaction was to shake his head side to side and just let out a soft, ďwhew.Ē

It was as if Martin ó a man who has been run over time and time again and drilled by countless foul balls ó needed a moment to fully process what the 57-year-old Hurdle is withstanding each day.

ďYou recognize heís in a grind, maybe more than us players,Ē Martin said. ďHe canít hide the fact that his hip is bothering him. The limp is severe and it definitely hasnít gotten better since the beginning of the year.

ďBut he never talks about it, you never hear Clint complain and, as a player, you canít help but respect a man who battles through adversity.Ē

Hurdle has.

And has done it largely without wanting to talk about the hip, rather, only engaging questions here and there when asked.

In a way itís like Hurdle has wanted to put it out of mind until he gets the surgery even as, with just one look at him, none of us can put it out of sight.

ďWe all find out a lot more about ourselves when we get put in these positions,Ē Hurdle said.

Indeed, we do.

Thereís something more to it. As he grits through this, it appears his team ó and this city ó is finding out a whole lot about the toughness of Clint Hurdle.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/09/18/colin-dunlap-clint-hurdle-fights-through-the-pain/

:sadness: I absolutely hate seeing anyone in pain. Hang in there, buddy!

Lady Steel
09-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Raise it! The magic number is now 3!

NSMaster56
09-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Raise it! The magic number is now 3!

Feels SO good to take a series vs. the Brewers after blowing some early games against them.

CrickRat23
09-22-2014, 09:37 AM
God bless Clint Hurdle. I think he is the best thing that has happened to the Pittsburgh Pirates in a very long time. He has gained so much respect from me, and I know the players respect him for what he is doing. I hope the City of Pittsburgh and Buccos nation does as well. I hope Clint gets fixed and becomes pain free, but I hope it is another month before it happens ( after the world series ). Let's Go Bucs. Win one for your skipper.

Lady Steel
09-23-2014, 12:31 AM
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10400028_361693837329615_1680517502495922605_n.jpg ?oh=0991bc4844eda5ce82de011faad29fc4&oe=54CFFEE9&__gda__=1422816081_348c94322a6c94194c6fecdede33427 9

NSMaster56
09-23-2014, 09:51 PM
Brewers have lost.

Come on, Shark!

NSMaster56
09-23-2014, 09:59 PM
...er, WATSON!

Who cares?! RTJR!!!

Lady Steel
09-24-2014, 12:19 AM
http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=igbvi GF_mYMTtcDGJThF5s$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYt33ZllmqeNSFo oSj0vySBOWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=sz5EN qOnjb3ozFCjzG84sc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvhRHORSUvHYb_ WjAHZqWCxWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=0nWEJ ZFyPzukF326yVMojM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuGQpL85nio29n LOTZp4kLdWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=96mjs rGoVYNosjs3Al3YPs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvWOTsmJTnAEjt 3Xn17wMJsWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=GDdPC YFwZw8POIgiXNooPc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvcmuyDTBT7ZbK i_iH05$FRWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=yDTF7 7iRqE8En41zuJv_vM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYskN3_fDPxUoCu uSWrj_lJyWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=Ea1De i6D7VXk0n4jnwad2s$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvIiGa6JUvwlJm jNTpdFAp_WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

POSTSEASON, BABY! :applaudit: :getdown:

NSMaster56
09-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Remember when these guys started 10-18?

Me either! :drink:

steelersfan77
09-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Bucs have clinched at the least a home wild card game. Two games remaining to catch the St. Louis cardinals in the central division as the bucs remain 1 game back.

cali_fan
09-27-2014, 11:42 AM
It's a good chance we may face you guys in the WC game.
I was hoping it was going to be out here so I can go but I guess not.
I hope it's a good game. Regardless

steelersfan77
09-27-2014, 10:31 PM
It's a good chance we may face you guys in the WC game.
I was hoping it was going to be out here so I can go but I guess not.
I hope it's a good game. Regardless

Sounds like a matchup between Cole and Bumgarner. Black out. Alot of post season veterans on the giants squad with rings.

cali_fan
09-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Sounds like a matchup between Cole and Bumgarner. Black out. Alot of post season veterans on the giants squad with rings.

Well see. If cards lose and you guys win you guys have a 1 playoff game to see who wins the division I think if I'm not mistaken.

steelersfan77
09-28-2014, 07:32 AM
Well see. If cards lose and you guys win you guys have a 1 playoff game to see who wins the division I think if I'm not mistaken.

You're correct on that thought. Its all come down to the final day of the regular season.