PDA

View Full Version : My 2 Cents: Draft "Wisdom"

MontaniSemperLiberi
03-22-2014, 03:10 PM
So here are some of my thoughts from last year going into the draft:

I don't think it's realistically probable for us to trade down multiple times to stockpile picks (besides we don't have the cap space to sign that many players)... I'll admit some of my picks are reaches but these guys fit what I consider to be the Steelers' mold:

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 10 (MIA): Matt Elam, SS, Florida (A)
Round 2 Pick 16: Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor (B)
Round 2 Pick 22 (MIA): Jon Bostic, ILB, Florida (B)
Round 3 Pick 15 (MIA): Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State (B-)
Round 3 Pick 17: Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn (C)
Round 3 Pick 20 (MIA): T.J. McDonald, FS, Southern California (D+)
Round 4 Pick 18: Oday Aboushi, OT, Virginia (B+)
Round 5 Pick 17: Khaled Holmes, C, Southern California (A)
Round 6 Pick 18: Brad Wing, P, LSU (A)
Round 6 Pick 38 (COMP): Sean Renfree, QB, Duke (B-)
Round 7 Pick 17: Ray Ray Armstrong, SS, Miami (Fla.) (C-)

Le'Veon Bell and Brad Wing - check.

Some of these picks have poor grades, but WOW... watch them on tape!

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 26 (G.B.): Eric Reid, FS, LSU (A-)
Round 2 Pick 16: Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor (B+)
Round 2 Pick 23 (G.B.): Jon Bostic, ILB, Florida (B+)
Round 3 Pick 17: Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State (B)
Round 3 Pick 26 (G.B.): Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn (B-)
Round 4 Pick 18: Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee (B)
Round 5 Pick 17: Khaled Holmes, C, Southern California (A-)
Round 6 Pick 18: Duke Williams, SS, Nevada (E)
Round 6 Pick 38 (COMP): Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA (B)
Round 7 Pick 17: Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech (C)

:toofunny:

Yeah, I was really shooting to get TJ McDonald in Rd 4/5 for FS and to move Reid to SS, but Duke Williams IS* an impressive athlete who the Steelers have shown interest in and even though we don't need starters on the O Line - I opted for the USC C over the USC S because the safety position is loaded with talented prospects this year and we don't exactly have a great backup behind Pouncey. Some of you guys are focusing way too much on getting a record score - my focus was on posting a realistic best case scenario based the Steelers needs and athletic potential from the game film that I've watched.

Le'Veon Bell, predicted the need for a backup at center behind Pouncey, and emphasized the need to draft safeties - check.

[QUOTE=atlee731;1099015]Here's my attempt:

1) Arthur Brown (Kansas State) / Jarvis Jones (Georgia)

IMHO Brown is a downgrade from Sean Spence (plus he doesn't really fit a 3-4 scheme)... what we really need at linebacker is a thumper inside who's also capable of rushing the passer on the outside (flexible like Lawrence Timmons)... I think Jon Bostic is the most complete LB in the draft that fits this need, but I'm really hoping Sean Spence recovers to backup both positions and eventually replace James Harrison (after putting on more muscle) -or- we somehow get Rolando McClain so we can sure up RB/WR/QB/S depth via the draft. If we do end up picking a linebacker via the draft ideally it'd be Teo (2nd) or Bostic (2nd or 3rd... but honestly I think Bostic has better potential and wouldn't be upset if we traded back and selected him instead so we'd have more 2/3 round picks to address other positions).[/QUOTE}

Thumper Linebacker inside (reference Timmons): Vince Williams - check.

[QUOTE=MontaniSemperLiberi;1088945]1 Geno Smith, QB
2 Le'Veon Bell, RB
3 Jon Bostic, LB
4 TJ McDonald, FS
5 Brandon Williams, DT
6 Stedman Bailey, WR
7 Xavier Nixon/Ricky Wagner/Alex Hurst/etc., OT

(We should also workout Steve Slaton... yes I have some WVU bias)

:toofunny:

Le'Veon Bell in 2nd Round - Nailed it.

MontaniSemperLiberi
03-22-2014, 04:27 PM
So here's my ideal situation for the Steelers in the upcoming 2014 draft.

1) Louis Nix - NT, Notre Dame

2) Kahlil Mack - OLB, Buffalo (never happening now thanks to TV exposure)
-or-
Jeremiah Attaochu - DE (3-4 OLB), Georgia Tech / Dee Ford - DE (3-4 OLB), Auburn

3) Cyrus Kouandjio - OT, Alabama (will probably be long gone) / Morgan Moses - OT, Virginia / JuWuan James - OT, Tennessee

4) E.J. Gaines - CB, Missouri / Victor Hampton - CB, South Carolina
-or-
Charles Sims - RB, West Virginia

5) Lache Seastrunk - RB, Baylor / Andre Williams - RB, Boston College
-or-
Brandon Coleman - WR, Rutgers / Devin Street - WR, Pitt / Cody Latimer - WR, Indiana

6) Morgan Breslin - DE (3-4 OLB), Southern California / Cassius Marsh - DE (3-4 OLB), California Los Angeles / Michael Sam - DE (3-4 OLB), Missouri

7) Dri Archer - WR/RB (like Tavon Austin but has untested receiving capability), Kent State

Other Players I really like that fit the Steelers mold at each position:

Zach Mettenberger - QB, Louisiana State
Jerick McKinnon - RB, Georgia Southern
Kelvin Benjamin - WR, Florida State
Joe Don Duncan - TE, Dixie State

OT - All those elite guys we don't have much of a shot at (unless teams reach for quarterbacks in round one): Robinson, Matthews, Lewan
OG - Gabe Jackson/Cyril Richardson... we can't afford to draft guards/don't need them

C - (somebody to provide depth... not much film to evaluate on interior offensive lineman)

DE - Ed Stinson/Stephon Tuitt (blah blah blah)... we will move McClendon to end opposite Heyward (Arnfeldt looks like a contender btw).

Scott Crichton (move to runstopping OLB position) / Aaron Donald (could he possibly cut weight and move to OLB? I love what I see from Donald, but he's not really a good fit on the DL)

Caraun Reid - DT, Princeton
Christian Jones - OLB, Florida State
Andrew Jackson - ILB, Western Kentucky (I think he goes undrafted and whoever picks him up will be surprised, but it will not be the Steelers)
Lamarcus Joyner - SS, Florida State (Shamarko Thomas with more upside)
Deone Bucannon - FS, Washington State (imagine Ryan Clarke was brainwashed to make interceptions sometimes instead of always laying the big hit)
CB - PIERRE DESIR is the man!

Bayz101
03-22-2014, 10:24 PM

Le'Veon Bell, predicted the need for a backup at center behind Pouncey, and emphasized the need to draft safeties - check.

[QUOTE=MontaniSemperLiberi;1099585][QUOTE=atlee731;1099015]Here's my attempt:

IMHO Brown is a downgrade from Sean Spence (plus he doesn't really fit a 3-4 scheme)... what we really need at linebacker is a thumper inside who's also capable of rushing the passer on the outside (flexible like Lawrence Timmons)... I think Jon Bostic is the most complete LB in the draft that fits this need, but I'm really hoping Sean Spence recovers to backup both positions and eventually replace James Harrison (after putting on more muscle) -or- we somehow get Rolando McClain so we can sure up RB/WR/QB/S depth via the draft. If we do end up picking a linebacker via the draft ideally it'd be Teo (2nd) or Bostic (2nd or 3rd... but honestly I think Bostic has better potential and wouldn't be upset if we traded back and selected him instead so we'd have more 2/3 round picks to address other positions).[/QUOTE}

You quoted me laughing, but I see that I was laughing because you graded a player as an "E" on a A-B-C-D-F scale. :chuckle:

Buddha Bus
03-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Angrychair... is that you?

MontaniSemperLiberi
03-22-2014, 10:54 PM
You quoted me laughing, but I see that I was laughing because you graded a player as an "E" on a A-B-C-D-F scale. :chuckle:

Incorrect. I played a mock draft game and received a grade of "E" for selecting Duke Williams with pick 18 of the 6th round. You were laughing at my suggestion he be drafted in the 6th round; hovever, he was indeed selected in the fourth round (105th overall) by the Bills and remains with the team. I guess that suggestion was not as ridiculous/laughable as you were insinuating - hmmm?:mallet:

So how about this year's draft?

teegre
03-22-2014, 11:42 PM
I think that the Steelers are going to draft Louis Nix... or, Darqueze Dennard... or, Justin Gilbert, CJ Mosley, Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin, or Eric Ebron... or, Ra'shead Hageman, Aaron Barr, Brandin Cooks, Stephon Tuitt...

Steelstoned1972
03-22-2014, 11:59 PM
I think that the Steelers are going to draft Louis Nix... or, Darqueze Dennard... or, Justin Gilbert, CJ Mosley, Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin, or Eric Ebron... or, Ra'shead Hageman, Aaron Barr, Brandin Cooks, Stephon Tuitt...

That about covers everyone !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Bayz101
03-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Incorrect. I played a mock draft game and received a grade of "E" for selecting Duke Williams with pick 18 of the 6th round. You were laughing at my suggestion he be drafted in the 6th round; hovever, he was indeed selected in the fourth round (105th overall) by the Bills and remains with the team. I guess that suggestion was not as ridiculous/laughable as you were insinuating - hmmm?:mallet:

So how about this year's draft?

My bad, however, I did truly believe he was receiving an "E" grade. Why I found it funny. I'm a terrible mock draft guy, I wouldn't laugh at anyone's suggestions. :chuckle:

kuriusjorge
03-23-2014, 01:00 AM
So here's my ideal situation for the Steelers in the upcoming 2014 draft.

1) Louis Nix - NT, Notre Dame

2) Kahlil Mack - OLB, Buffalo (never happening now thanks to TV exposure)
-or-
Jeremiah Attaochu - DE (3-4 OLB), Georgia Tech / Dee Ford - DE (3-4 OLB), Auburn

3) Cyrus Kouandjio - OT, Alabama (will probably be long gone) / Morgan Moses - OT, Virginia / JuWuan James - OT, Tennessee

4) E.J. Gaines - CB, Missouri / Victor Hampton - CB, South Carolina
-or-
Charles Sims - RB, West Virginia

5) Lache Seastrunk - RB, Baylor / Andre Williams - RB, Boston College
-or-
Brandon Coleman - WR, Rutgers / Devin Street - WR, Pitt / Cody Latimer - WR, Indiana

6) Morgan Breslin - DE (3-4 OLB), Southern California / Cassius Marsh - DE (3-4 OLB), California Los Angeles / Michael Sam - DE (3-4 OLB), Missouri

7) Dri Archer - WR/RB (like Tavon Austin but has untested receiving capability), Kent State

Other Players I really like that fit the Steelers mold at each position:

Zach Mettenberger - QB, Louisiana State
Jerick McKinnon - RB, Georgia Southern
Kelvin Benjamin - WR, Florida State
Joe Don Duncan - TE, Dixie State

OT - All those elite guys we don't have much of a shot at (unless teams reach for quarterbacks in round one): Robinson, Matthews, Lewan
OG - Gabe Jackson/Cyril Richardson... we can't afford to draft guards/don't need them

C - (somebody to provide depth... not much film to evaluate on interior offensive lineman)

DE - Ed Stinson/Stephon Tuitt (blah blah blah)... we will move McClendon to end opposite Heyward (Arnfeldt looks like a contender btw).

Scott Crichton (move to runstopping OLB position) / Aaron Donald (could he possibly cut weight and move to OLB? I love what I see from Donald, but he's not really a good fit on the DL)

Caraun Reid - DT, Princeton
Christian Jones - OLB, Florida State
Andrew Jackson - ILB, Western Kentucky (I think he goes undrafted and whoever picks him up will be surprised, but it will not be the Steelers)
Lamarcus Joyner - SS, Florida State (Shamarko Thomas with more upside)
Deone Bucannon - FS, Washington State (imagine Ryan Clarke was brainwashed to make interceptions sometimes instead of always laying the big hit)
CB - PIERRE DESIR is the man!

Once criticism...Khalil Mack was going to be a top ten pick regardless of the TV coverage. There is NO WAY IN HELL that the steelers would possibly have gotten him in the second round.

MontaniSemperLiberi
03-23-2014, 01:26 AM
Once criticism...Khalil Mack was going to be a top ten pick regardless of the TV coverage. There is NO WAY IN HELL that the steelers would possibly have gotten him in the second round.

That's fair looking through a rose colored lense. Though is he really that much better than Jarvis Jones? Tough realization if true, but I don't really think so. I'll admit he's looks like a better athlete (running and lifting in the gym), but I have serious doubts about his level of competition on the football field... He did well against Ohio St in the opener (2.5 Sacks and an Int for a TD) and that school has good name recognition so ESPN was all over it, but Jack Mewhort and Taylor Decker... really? Let's not forget that perspective.

Galax Steeler
03-23-2014, 06:46 AM

[QUOTE=MontaniSemperLiberi;1099585][QUOTE=atlee731;1099015]Here's my attempt:

Can't really remember that far back but are you sure I wasn't laughing at the Geno Smith pick.

MontaniSemperLiberi
03-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Can't really remember that far back but are you sure I wasn't laughing at the Geno Smith pick.

:sign07: Maybe you should go back and look for yourself. What do you think about this year's draft targets?

kuriusjorge
03-24-2014, 12:46 AM
That's fair looking through a rose colored lense. Though is he really that much better than Jarvis Jones? Tough realization if true, but I don't really think so. I'll admit he's looks like a better athlete (running and lifting in the gym), but I have serious doubts about his level of competition on the football field... He did well against Ohio St in the opener (2.5 Sacks and an Int for a TD) and that school has good name recognition so ESPN was all over it, but Jack Mewhort and Taylor Decker... really? Let's not forget that perspective.

Who turns out better between him and Jones remains to be seen. I am still a believer that Jarvis is going to turn into a BEAST just like he was in college, I was just pointing out the fact that everybody has been aware of Mack and had him graded high throughout the entire process. I would love to have him in the second round but there was never any chance of him falling that far.