PDA

View Full Version : Steelers average face value ticket cost among lowest in NFL

Stlrs4Life
09-06-2006, 05:18 PM
However, if you're not a season ticket holder then prepare to be ass-raped when you go to buy. I also find it pretty ****ed up that Dan Snyder rose prices for Redskins tickets 17% even after he had the largest after expenses profit in the NFL last year at over $100 million. What a piece of shit. Aren't you rich enough??

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2575906

CHICAGO -- NFL ticket prices increased an average of 5.6 percent for the upcoming season, according to Team Marketing Report, which surveys ticket costs each year.
Price Watch
The average NFL ticket will cost $62.38 this season, an increase of more than $3 over last year. A quick glance: Most expensive: New England -- $90.89
Least expensive: Buffalo -- $41.29
Best bargain? Pittsburgh -- $59.19
Biggest rise: Washington -- 17.2 percent
Price choppers: San Francisco only team to lower prices -- by 0.5 percent.

The survey found the average ticket will cost $62.38, an increase of more than $3 over last year.

Twenty-one teams raised their ticket prices, including the Washington Redskins at a league-high 17.2 percent.
San Diego's increase was 14.6 percent, the second consecutive year of double-digit increases for the Chargers.

"What we're trying to do is compete with the upper echelon of the NFL," said Jim Steeg, Chargers chief operating officer. "I know that fans don't want to hear that. But the most important thing we've got to do is make sure we do what everybody wants, which is put the best product on the field."

Other teams raising ticket prices by more than 10 percent were Atlanta (14.6 percent), Arizona (14.1 percent), Chicago (12.9 percent), Seattle (12.7 percent), Jacksonville (12.2 percent) and Carolina (10.2 percent). All of those teams except the Falcons and Cardinals made the playoffs last season.

Arizona, of course, opened a new stadium this year. But the Cardinals also upped ticket prices in 2005 by 13.2 percent.

The Super Bowl champion Steelers did not increase ticket prices and remain among the lowest in the league at an average of $59.19.

The highest average ticket cost is in New England ($90.89) and the lowest is in Buffalo ($41.29).

One team, the San Francisco 49ers, actually went down 0.5 percent to $63.70. The 49ers are the last team to make season tickets available at more than one rate. Before this season every seat in the stadium was available for $64; now tickets can also be purchased for $84 and $49.

Midnightwriter07
09-06-2006, 05:24 PM
pretty impressive the Steelers didnt raise em after winning a Superbowl .. and lets face it .. the Steelers could raise em 20 bucks each and they would still sell out.

steelcurtain09
09-06-2006, 05:30 PM
this is only when u buy them directly from the steelers. i went to stub hub one day to see how much it would cost to get steelers at ratbirds tickets. the cheapest ticket was $130 compared to bout $60 for most of the other games.

SteelerFanInCA
09-06-2006, 05:35 PM
pretty impressive the Steelers didnt raise em after winning a Superbowl .. and lets face it .. the Steelers could raise em 20 bucks each and they would still sell out.

Agreed, and I'm sure Steeler fans wouldn't complain about it either.

Livinginthe past
09-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Its all about the product you are able to put on the field and the money you have sunk into the enterprise in the first place.

Correct me if im wrong, but as one of the smaller market teams the Steelers will have get their yearly handout from the bigger franchises such at New England and Washington.

Say what you want about Dan Snyder but he has sunk a terrific amount of his own money into the franchise.

NM

Stlrs4Life
09-06-2006, 09:56 PM
this is only when u buy them directly from the steelers. i went to stub hub one day to see how much it would cost to get steelers at ratbirds tickets. the cheapest ticket was $130 compared to bout $60 for most of the other games.

No kidding, you ever expect to get a ticket from Steelhub for face value?

Lyn
09-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Face value for the nosebleed seats (which are terrific seats) is $55.

What happens is Steeler fans (season ticket holders as well as joe 6 pack) get tickets and the reason they get them is to make money on them. It is not the Steelers organization.

jaysta
09-06-2006, 10:33 PM
However, if you're not a season ticket holder then prepare to be ass-raped when you go to buy. I also find it pretty ****ed up that Dan Snyder rose prices for Redskins tickets 17% even after he had the largest after expenses profit in the NFL last year at over $100 million. What a piece of shit. Aren't you rich enough??

Biggest rise: Washington -- 17.2 percent

Man you don't even know the half of it with Danny Boy Snyder. You definitely did your homework and hit the nail on the head with this guy. I won't waste anymore thread space on him right now, but if you want some good Snyder stories send me a pm and we can chat. As for scalpers and the "ticket agencies" around the league...there's no excuse to charge what they do for tickets.

klick81
09-06-2006, 10:44 PM
I paid an incredible amount of money to see the Steelers come play the Chargers on Oct. 8th...6x face value :yikes:

MattsMe
09-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Its all about the product you are able to put on the field and the money you have sunk into the enterprise in the first place.

Correct me if im wrong, but as one of the smaller market teams the Steelers will have get their yearly handout from the bigger franchises such at New England and Washington.

Say what you want about Dan Snyder but he has sunk a terrific amount of his own money into the franchise.

NM

Actually, it has nothing to do with the product you are able to put on the field. There is little, if any correlation between winning and revenue generated. In 2004, 8 of the 12 playoff teams were in the bottom half of the league when it came to revenue generated. You're right though, it does have something to do with the money sunk into the enterprise, and those owners who have sunk huge amounts into their teams are also the ones generating some of the highest revenues, and keeping the vast majority of that revenue. And they deserve to keep it.

The Steelers are a middle market team. We're not getting any "handouts" under the new revenue sharing agreement, and we weren't getting any under the old one. While we may not contribute as much revenue as the Redskins or Patriots, the extra money from those two teams doesn't go to the Steelers.

Yes, Snyder's sunk a ton of money into the Redskins, but what does his team have to show for it? How many winning seasons in 7 years?

Livinginthe past
09-07-2006, 05:01 AM
Actually, it has nothing to do with the product you are able to put on the field. There is little, if any correlation between winning and revenue generated. In 2004, 8 of the 12 playoff teams were in the bottom half of the league when it came to revenue generated. You're right though, it does have something to do with the money sunk into the enterprise, and those owners who have sunk huge amounts into their teams are also the ones generating some of the highest revenues, and keeping the vast majority of that revenue. And they deserve to keep it.

The Steelers are a middle market team. We're not getting any "handouts" under the new revenue sharing agreement, and we weren't getting any under the old one. While we may not contribute as much revenue as the Redskins or Patriots, the extra money from those two teams doesn't go to the Steelers.

Yes, Snyder's sunk a ton of money into the Redskins, but what does his team have to show for it? How many winning seasons in 7 years?

You are right, the 'product on the field' comment is more accurate description of a team like the Patriots rather than the Redskins.

However, the Redskins have shown consistent improvement over the last 3 years - from 5-11 to 6-10 and then 10-6 last year - it remains to be seen whether they can maintain this.

I think even if you aren't that successful fans need to believe that your team owners are at least trying everything in their power to improve the franchise.

You are correct about the Steelers being a 'middle market' team - I just found a link to that Forbes 'rich list' - thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't 100% sure where they were ranked.

NM

bigbensgirl7
09-07-2006, 08:35 AM
well face value to Steelers fans really doesn't mean much. If you are not a season ticket holder, be ready to pay some big $$$. I have spent as much as $300 to see the Steelers play Detroit a few years ago. If you don't think the scalpers and ticket brokers will tke advantage of the Steeler winning the SB you are crazy. Not only will it affect our home games, but with how well the Steelers travel, expect this at all of our away games also.

83-Steelers-43
09-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Now if they could only find a way to lower my preseason tickets instead of having me pay the same price for my regular season tickets. Even though I never see it happening, it would be nice.

bigbensgirl7
09-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Now if they could only find a way to lower my preseason tickets instead of having me pay the same price for my regular season tickets. Even though I never see it happening, it would be nice.

I'd have to say I think you are stuck with those prices....but not bad when you look at the whole picture!!!!

Livinginthe past
09-07-2006, 09:01 AM

I have to admit that seems a crazy policy - I presume it is the same across all the teams in the NFL?

What have the attendances been like at home games in the pre-season?

Even if they were to sell out, you cant argue that the product on the field in pre-season is anything close to a regular season game.

Probably only one game out of the 4 pre-season games (typically the 3rd) is played with anything like the intensity and squad members you would expect of a regular season game.

NM

83-Steelers-43
09-07-2006, 09:04 AM
I'd have to say I think you are stuck with those prices....but not bad when you look at the whole picture!!!!

It's just odd to me that playoff tickets are jacked up (which is understandable), but meaningless games are the same price as regular season games. If playoff games are more important and you pay more for those compared to regular season games, why should we have to pay the same price for regular season games as we do for meaningless preseason games?

Also, it makes it harder for people who never get a chance to attend games because of prices. You have people paying up to $600 dollars for a pair of preseason tickets and they didn't even get to see Parker, Ben or Ward play. So yeah, I find it bad for not only myself, but for fellow fans who are unable to attend games. It's bad for people who open up their wallets every year and for people who would like to see a game in person who rarely get a chance to attend a Steeler game.

bigbensgirl7
09-07-2006, 09:19 AM
It's just odd to me that playoff tickets are jacked up (which is understandable), but meaningless games are the same price as regular season games. If playoff games are more important and you pay more for those compared to regular season games, why should we have to pay the same price for regular season games as we do for meaningless preseason games?

Also, it makes it harder for people who never get a chance to attend games because of prices. You have people paying up to $600 dollars for a pair of preseason tickets and they didn't even get to see Parker, Ben or Ward play. So yeah, I find it bad for not only myself, but for fellow fans who are unable to attend games. It's bad for people who open up their wallets every year and for people who would like to see a game in person who rarely get a chance to attend a Steeler game.

Oh I definately agree with you, I just don't see it changing anytime soon. I would never pay the same amount for a preseason game that I do for regular season esp. since I don't have season tickets and am always prepared to pay hundreds to see the Steelers. To me I would rather watch a preseason at home anyways, but that's just me.