PDA

View Full Version : Junst a hunch about the draft

Gnutella
04-17-2014, 07:34 AM
As we get closer to the draft, the feeling in my gut gets stronger and stronger that the Steelers are going to trade down. Does anybody else feel this way?

Steelstoned1972
04-17-2014, 07:45 AM
As we get closer to the draft, the feeling in my gut gets stronger and stronger that the Steelers are going to trade down. Does anybody else feel this way?

Yes because they are looKing at so many late first round prospects and 2nd rounders. Obviously we need a dance partner . But it would make sense.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-17-2014, 07:45 AM
I want us to draft Dennard but if trading down gets us closer to #7 I'm all for it :tt03:

Edit: but I dont expect much trading in the 1st round. I'll say there is a 90% chance we stay at 15. But thats my opinion.

Trading down in the 2nd round to get an extra 4th is more possible.

Vis
04-17-2014, 08:02 AM

I claim no special or occult powers but I don't see a trading partner.

Acerinox
04-17-2014, 08:37 AM
My theory is that they have an extremely strong idea about what they will do in Round 1, which involves taking a player at 15.

With the draft being this deep - the fascinating pick is Round 2. I predict that a few really amazing names will be available around 40 as teams do their usual thing i.e. over-draft one or two positions (this year perhaps safety and WR would be my prediction, along with one of QB or OT as normal).

As a result some talent that would be Round 1 in most years will be there in the 40s. Could it be D-line? Nix, Hagemann, Tuitt would be sweet for us? Don't rule it out. Or could it be... well, who knows. But due diligence on the group of top players slated at 20-30 is essential if you want to know what to do when Round 2 is upon you and the options are blowing up.

teegre
04-17-2014, 08:38 AM
SAN FRAN
The Niners make a ton of sense. They have a ton of picks, but not all of those picks will make that loaded roster; ergo, they need quality (not quantity). Plus, their window is closing; those young players are about to get paid. And, Harbaugh wants out ASAP; hence, he's likely to try to get those one or two quality players now... and doesn't care if he "wastes" picks (he won't be there to pay the piper).

Also, they want a safety to pair with Eric Reid... and Pryor could go to Dallas or Balt.

15 is worth 1050

30 is worth 620
56 is worth 340
94 is worth 124 = 1084

That said, I doubt that they'd give up the earlier R2 picks... value chart or not. It might have to be pick 62 (worth 284).

MIAMI
I would prefer to only drop back four spots. If they really want Lewan, this might be a possibility... especially because they've traded before.

15 is worth 1050

19 is worth 875
81 is worth 185 = 1060

CLEVELAND
They've traded before. They want Derek Carr. And 15-19 is where teams at the top of R2 trade back into R1, to get a QB. Cleveland is at 26; so, they could trade up easier than Houston (at 33). 26 would be perfect for Nix or Fuller (although, I think that Nix goes at 25 to San Diego).

15 is worth 1050
118 is worth 58
157 is worth 27 = 1135

26 is worth 700
35 is worth 550 = 1250

SteelersCanada
04-17-2014, 10:11 AM
San Fran dealing us Aldon Smith and picks makes sense for 15th overall.

devin7558
04-17-2014, 12:59 PM
^^i don't want him. Boneheaded, bad attitude and generally just stupid. Incredible talent that is wasted by his off the field nonsense. He hasn't learned yet...probably never will. He will do something really stupid that gets himself suspended or locked up for a long time.

It's not unthinkable but it's close. Change of scenery may help him but he's just way to immature and shows no signs if getting better.

CanSteel7
04-17-2014, 02:45 PM
San Fran dealing us Aldon Smith and picks makes sense for 15th overall.

There is no way the Steelers will even want to come close to Aldon Smith! Why would you even think of this? :banging:

SteelersCanada
04-17-2014, 05:11 PM
There is no way the Steelers will even want to come close to Aldon Smith! Why would you even think of this? :banging:

Why would I want the most prolific sack artist in the NFL over the last three seasons? Does that answer your question?

SteelersCanada
04-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Look, he has off field issues. It's not like our organization is holier-than-thou when it comes to guys who produce on this team getting a free pass for their off field antics. We're all very aware of Roethlisberger, and Harrison was accused multiple times of domestic violence. Hines Ward was driving impaired, and the video was made public thanks to TMZ.

Passing on a prospect because he's a young guy doing stupid things is silly. He needs help, and our organization can provide it. We simply can't overlook his production because he has a drinking problem. If anything, the stability of the Rooney family down would only give him the support he needs for his issues.

If we pass on Aldon Smith, where do we draw the line? We are perfectly fine with having Roethlisberger on our team but pass on Smith because he's done stupid things off the field?

PhantomJB93
04-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Dream scenario: trade down, pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd, draft Kyle Fuller, Allen Robinson, Stephen Tuitt, Shayne Skov. I would climax.

Gnutella
04-17-2014, 11:37 PM
We are perfectly fine with having Roethlisberger on our team but pass on Smith because he's done stupid things off the field?

Because there's a distinct chance that both accusations against Roethlisberger were bogus, and he's actually grown up and become a model citizen and a better person since. And at this point I just don't think the Rooneys want the drama that'd come with Aldon Smith, even if it's simply the media waiting in the bushes for him to look at one of his coaches cross-eyed.

SteelersCanada
04-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Because there's a distinct chance that both accusations against Roethlisberger were bogus, and he's actually grown up and become a model citizen and a better person since. And at this point I just don't think the Rooneys want the drama that'd come with Aldon Smith, even if it's simply the media waiting in the bushes for him to look at one of his coaches cross-eyed.

And, from all accounts, Aldon Smith was a great guy before, during and after both NFC title games to the media and the fans. He's a young guy. In fact, he's only three years older than me. Speaking from experience, young guys are prone to making mistakes.

There's no reason why Aldon can't grow from this experience. One has to wonder if the instability in San Fran only fuelled this fire. I can't rationalize sacrificing a talent such as him because he's young and has done really, really dumb things. 42 sacks in 48 games, with a shortened season, is worth the gamble to me.

SteelersCanada
04-17-2014, 11:46 PM
No, actually, I need to fact check myself. 42 sacks in 43 games, as he only played in 11 games this season.

CanSteel7
04-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Why would I want the most prolific sack artist in the NFL over the last three seasons? Does that answer your question?

Are you serious?! Given his off the field activity, what makes you think that the Rooneys would even want to touch this guy. Why would you want this head case on your team? What part of his off the field activity looks enticing to you? How long of an NFL career do you think this guy is going to have with the issues he's shown?

SteelersCanada
04-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Are you serious?! Given his off the field activity, what makes you think that the Rooneys would even want to touch this guy. Why would you want this head case on your team? What part of his off the field activity looks enticing to you? How long of an NFL career do you think this guy is going to have with the issues he's shown?

Roethlisberger? Harrison? Ward? Bettis? Are they all "head cases" too?

42 sacks in 43 games played is why I want him. Alcoholism is a disease, and it can be treated. Not wanting him because of his "off field issues" while defending Ward, Bettis, Harrison, Roethlisberger, etc. is beyond silly. Young guys mature and grow up, especially if they're in an organization like ours. Ben is a shining example of this.

Stop with the holier-than-thou bullshit. I want a kid who can play. Smith can play, and his off field antics are a result of his immaturity. Maturity comes with age, and his skill set cannot be denied.

CanSteel7
04-18-2014, 01:17 PM

42 sacks in 43 games played is why I want him. Alcoholism is a disease, and it can be treated. Not wanting him because of his "off field issues" while defending Ward, Bettis, Harrison, Roethlisberger, etc. is beyond silly. Young guys mature and grow up, especially if they're in an organization like ours. Ben is a shining example of this.

Stop with the holier-than-thou bullshit. I want a kid who can play. Smith can play, and his off field antics are a result of his immaturity. Maturity comes with age, and his skill set cannot be denied.

"I have a bomb in my bag". And it's precisely why there have been issues in the past with other guys on our team that you won't see Aldon Smith with the Steelers. It also seems to me that he's heading down the same slide as Titus Young with the Lions. His head is not right!

LondonON519
04-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Just not the way we do things. Ta' Amu is going to be a stud and we dropped him, Santonio was Superbowl MVP and we kicked his ass out too. I don't want this kid representing our team no matter how good he is. And he's really F Ing good

teegre
04-18-2014, 04:17 PM

Ward & Bettis??? :noidea:

Saying that you have a bomb in an airport is not immature; it's flat-out dumb.

Sorry, SC. This guy is a suspension (or felony) waiting to happen.

SteelersCanada
04-18-2014, 04:23 PM

Ward was filmed during his DUI arrest. Bettis was involved in a sexual assault investigation back in '02. There was something else, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

The same could have been said for Roethlisberger from '05 - '08. We gave him a chance, and look how things turned out.

Steel Glory
04-18-2014, 04:24 PM
This is something I would like, if we stayed put

15. Darqueze Dennard, CB
46. Scott Crichton, OLB
97. Brandon Coleman, WR
118. EJ Gaines, CB
157. Robert Herron, WR
173. Jerrick McKinnon, RB
192. Max Bullough, ILB
215. Rob Blanchflower, TE
230. Justin Britt, OT

teegre
04-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Ward was filmed during his DUI arrest. Bettis was involved in a sexual assault investigation back in '02. There was something else, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

The same could have been said for Roethlisberger from '05 - '08. We gave him a chance, and look how things turned out.

Bettis was a total scam. The woman admitted it. (Probably the only scammer to ever admit that it was a money-grab.)

Ward's DUI was a lot different than the stuff that Aldon Smith did. Vincent Jackson, Antonio Gates, and a bunch of players have DUIs.

Roethlisberger was already on the team. Big difference.

SteelerJT
04-18-2014, 05:18 PM

Ward got busted for the DUI. Ray Rice remembers.

But honestly, I have a bigger tolerance for saying something stupid at an airport when you're pissed off then possibly killing someone because you're drunk.

teegre
04-18-2014, 06:52 PM
But honestly, I have a bigger tolerance for saying something stupid at an airport when you're pissed off then possibly killing someone because you're drunk.

Agreed that DUIs are often overlooked, and I have a personal problem with drunk drivers (you can PM me for details). Alas, it's one of the more common crimes that people have committed.

I'm more concerned about Smith's recidivism.

SteelerJT
04-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Agreed that DUIs are often overlooked, and I have a personal problem with drunk drivers (you can PM me for details). Alas, it's one of the more common crimes that people have committed.

I'm more concerned about Smith's recidivism.

I just think that debating the moral standards of the Rooney family's hiring practices, and Aldons personal history and problems are two separate issues.

While he's obviously not at his level, LT was the most profilic pass rusher in the league at the time. Would you really not want him because of his personal issues?

teegre
04-18-2014, 10:29 PM
I just think that debating the moral standards of the Rooney family's hiring practices, and Aldons personal history and problems are two separate issues.

While he's obviously not at his level, LT was the most profilic pass rusher in the league at the time. Would you really not want him because of his personal issues?

In the 80s, when coke was abundant & everyone's personal business was private: sure.

Now, with the media scrutiny: no... (because, today, LT would be fined, suspended, & out of the league).

teegre
04-19-2014, 12:47 AM
Ward got busted for the DUI. Ray Rice remembers.

I just remembered that Aldon Smith had a DUI. (Plus, the obvious gun charges, and the recent LAX yelling "bomb" incident.)

Ward:
DUI

Smith:
DUI... plus guns... plus yelling "bomb."

Hawaii 5-0
04-19-2014, 01:20 AM
This is something I would like, if we stayed put

15. Darqueze Dennard, CB
46. Scott Crichton, OLB
97. Brandon Coleman, WR
118. EJ Gaines, CB
157. Robert Herron, WR
173. Jerrick McKinnon, RB
192. Max Bullough, ILB
215. Rob Blanchflower, TE
230. Justin Britt, OT

I would be very happy with that draft...:thumbsup:

SteelerJT
04-19-2014, 01:31 AM
I just remembered that Aldon Smith had a DUI. (Plus, the obvious gun charges, and the recent LAX yelling "bomb" incident.)

Ward:
DUI

Smith:
DUI... plus guns... plus yelling "bomb."

I forgot too :banging:

And seriously. About the gun charges. Who really gives a shit? I mean, does anyone really think most NFL players don't arm themselves? Was he being reckless when he got caught at the party? Yes. But at least it was at his house, and not in a night club. I know they're technically felonies, but it's not like he held up a bank.

It all just points to immaturity, which I think can be contained in the right circumstances. Which I don't believe involve that SOB Harbaugh.

teegre
04-19-2014, 09:52 AM
I forgot too :banging:

And seriously. About the gun charges. Who really gives a shit? I mean, does anyone really think most NFL players don't arm themselves? Was he being reckless when he got caught at the party? Yes. But at least it was at his house, and not in a night club. I know they're technically felonies, but it's not like he held up a bank.

It all just points to immaturity, which I think can be contained in the right circumstances. Which I don't believe involve that SOB Harbaugh.

DUI... bad decision that could endanger others.

Gun charges... bad decision that could endanger others.

Yelling "bomb" in a crowded airport... bad decision that could endanger others.

Jeff Fischer developed a plan for Janoris Jenkins, and it's worked beautifully. Something could be done like that (for Smith).

BUT, Jenkins was smoking weed (which almost every college kid does) and had several babies (which isn't on the same level as what Smith has done).

vasteeler
04-19-2014, 09:57 AM
i cant believe this has not been mentioned yet..........what the fuck is a junst?..........:chuckle:

teegre
04-19-2014, 10:36 AM
i cant believe this has not been mentioned yet..........what the fuck is a junst?..........:chuckle:

He's Jasom Woirlds' nephew.

SteelersCanada
04-19-2014, 08:05 PM
DUI... bad decision that could endanger others.

Hines Ward.

Gun charges... bad decision that could endanger others.

James Harrison.

teegre
04-19-2014, 09:07 PM
Hines Ward.

James Harrison.

One incident each.

Aldon Smith already has three incidents.

Plus, Hines & Harrison were already Steelers, which is a different scenario. Keeping a guy who is already under contract, is different than bringing in a new guy who already has (three) lapses in judgment.