PDA

View Full Version : IMO Madden was really good last night!

Mosca
09-08-2006, 08:58 AM
He started out with the usual garbage, platitudes, cliches...

But then it got good, like he got into it all of a sudden. His illustration of Miami's defense (with Jason Taylor lining up all over the place) and the "two bubbles" was really enlightening, plus his analysis of how the Steelers would have to make adjustments if they wanted to move the ball was spot on. Later he made the point about how backs like Parker have to stay patient, that they have to keep at it and eventually will start breaking runs. It was almost prescient; two or three plays later Porter started popping off decent gains. And the crew didn't let the "challenge controversy" just be a controversy; they went and got a clarification that Saban could have run out onto the field if he wanted to, that he was at fault for the refs not seeing the flag.

There was more, but all in all This was a good network broadcast. There was too much pimping of the Mannings, but that's to be expected, what with Sunday's game coming up. I personally don't think Peyton is all that revered outside of Indiana, and Eli isn't really revered at all, but who knows, the rest of the world might love those guys.

Tom

HometownGal
09-08-2006, 09:08 AM
The bar where XT and I watched the game was pretty noisy, so I didn't get to hear Madden that much. Hey - the Steelers may actually make a believer out of him yet - LOL!

I grew weary of all of the Manning commercials and tush-kissing over and over again. I wouldn't even have minded if they showcased one of the Fins, but the Manning love fest was a bit insulting during a Pittsburgh-Miami game. I would have much preferred seeing clips of Peytoon's deer in the headlights look in the playoff game last season and Farrior, Porter & Co. making a turf pizza out of him. :banana:

tony hipchest
09-08-2006, 09:13 AM
and madden saying something like "this is the part of the field where the steelers like to look for hines ward in the (back of the?) endzone".

2 plays later, td hines ward.

WWIIOwheelz
09-08-2006, 09:17 AM
The bar where XT and I watched the game was pretty noisy, so I didn't get to hear Madden that much. Hey - the Steelers may actually make a believer out of him yet - LOL!

Where'd you two see the game, Gal?

HometownGal
09-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Where'd you two see the game, Gal?

We went to a place called "Neal's" on Buttermilk Hollow Road in West Mifflin, right past the County Airport. It's a nice sized restaurant with a really comfortable bar and reasonable prices and there are free half-time eats every game! :bouncy: Last night it was rigatoni and garlic bread - for the Super Bowl, he had quite a spread! Nice people and a very enjoyable place to watch the games. :smile:

Tim
09-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Yeah Madden might have been okay, for once, but ugh... Collinsworth. God I hate that guy. Did anyone else get the sense that Al Michaels was ready to call security to get him out of the booth?

Mosca
09-08-2006, 09:31 AM
And that blonde woman's interview of Batch and Porter was way beyond what I expected. First, she gave credit to Porter for allowing Batch to go first, and then she asked good open ended questions that got good responses; Batch describing why the team called the play they did, and Porter the same, along with the personal analysis that "those kinds of situations don't happen very often, so when they do you have to make the play. And that's what I did."

Really good stuff, again well beyond what I expected.

Tom

WWIIOwheelz
09-08-2006, 09:43 AM
We went to a place called "Neal's" on Buttermilk Hollow Road in West Mifflin, right past the County Airport. It's a nice sized restaurant with a really comfortable bar and reasonable prices and there are free half-time eats every game! :bouncy: Last night it was rigatoni and garlic bread - for the Super Bowl, he had quite a spread! Nice people and a very enjoyable place to watch the games. :smile:

Wow, that sounds great! My wife & I went out to Smoky Joe's BBQ out at Robinson Town Center with some people from her work. I would have preferred to stay home, but she really wanted to go. I get a little uptight during Steeler football games. :) I just don't like to miss anything, and that can get in the way of things like conversations. lol

HometownGal
09-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Wow, that sounds great! My wife & I went out to Smoky Joe's BBQ out at Robinson Town Center with some people from her work. I would have preferred to stay home, but she really wanted to go. I get a little uptight during Steeler football games. :) I just don't like to miss anything, and that can get in the way of things like conversations. lol

Sounds like you had a great time, too! :bouncy: Up at Neal's, we are all pretty much used to each other from last season and when the language starts flying at a pretty good clip, all it takes is "the look" and they stop it....for a little while anyway - LOL! They all pretty much know up there not to talk to me or even look at me until there is a commercial and at halftime. :cool:

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Mosco!!!!
Dont be sucked into the dark side!!!! Its all part of their master plan. They have spent all summer force feeding a semblence of a personality into Madden ..with the hopes of making us all believe that he is capable of rational thought. In two weeks we will be back to him talking about hard-hitting subjects like heated socks and "Turducken" ...ending each sentence with a muttering tirade of wheezes and grunts!
The more you listen to him the easier it is for him and his ilk (Chris Collingsworth) to plant a seed into your mind and make you into one of their bubbling buffoon pod people.....until finally they have drained all credible football knowledge out of you. Come back to the light my friend..I am reaching a hand out to save ya!!!!!!!!!!

SteelerFanInCA
09-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Yeah the half time segment was a joke. A two minute recap of the game with no real analysis followed by the Manning love fest. Come on NBC, you gotta do better than that.

RichmondVA
09-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Not one word about field conditions. Players on both side looked like they were on skates; Our safety slipped on the long YAC for Booker, Santonio slipped twice, missed fg's.

Don't let a win taint the fact he still blows and doesn't talk about anything relevant.

Mosca
09-08-2006, 11:36 AM
LOL, LLT and RVA. I know he still blows, and that the season as a whole will be just as bad as ever. That's kind of what made it remarkable that I found so much good.

Toim

stlrtruck
09-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Regardless, I still think he stinks as an announcer....case in point both announcers continually called Welker, WALKER!!! And it is right there in front of them....HELLO!!!

I think he's an idiot. For half his salary, I'll take me and chimp in the booth and probably do a better job.

As for Collinsworth, he's just worthless! I can't stand him and his biased media outlook.

WisconsinSteelerMan
09-08-2006, 11:52 AM
...and Porter the same, along with the personal analysis that "those kinds of situations don't happen very often, so when they do you have to make the play. And that's what I did."

Really good stuff, again well beyond what I expected.

Tom

I actually almost got teary-eyed when Porter made those comments about kissing Cowher... This just shows the TRUE admiration and dedication that this team has for their Coach...ultimate trust!!!

Then the comment about Cowher is much more likely to be in Pittsburgh for 8 years and NOT 8 months... Even Madden had to suck it up and say "yes he will"...

I know that the Steelers are not nor every will be beholdin to Cowher, but I do think that he truly LOVES COACHING THE STEELERS and the players that he has... I think he's gonna stay...

Mike the Steeler's nut stuck in Cheeze country!!!

cbalke
09-08-2006, 12:15 PM
"Now, here-here-here's a guy, who when he talks, sometimes people can hear him."

lol...frank caliendo rulez, man!!!!!1!!!! :sofunny:

Jimmy James
09-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Madden doesn't have "really good" left in him. It's time for him to hang it up, and it has been that way pretty much since he moved to ABC from Fox.

With that said, he wasn't his usual terrible self last night. He was more or less on good behavior.

I agree with the person who mentioned Michaels being ready to throw Collinsworth out of the booth. It was really weak how the league sent him in as their toady to sell their newly made up gloss on the red flag. What a tool.

steelerdude
09-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Madden and Michaels babbled on ad nauseum about the damn ball with the new commisioner's signature on it falling off the tee on the opening kick-off. Geez guys, WHO GIVES A S**T ABOUT THE DAMN BALL FALLING OFF THE TEE?!?!?

19ward86
09-08-2006, 01:40 PM
and madden saying something like "this is the part of the field where the steelers like to look for hines ward in the (back of the?) endzone".

2 plays later, td hines ward.

that was weird, but looking for ward in the endzone when we are close happens a lot.

BBC
09-08-2006, 04:31 PM
He ruined it with the amount of attention he put on the ball falling off the tee, and his commentary after Batch's sack that took them out of FG range.

'That was a big play. The Steelers were in field goal range, and then they sacked Batch, and put them out of field goal range. Now they have to punt.'

Thanks John.

Midnightwriter07
09-08-2006, 04:46 PM
I like when Porter said about Cowher after the game on the field " I love that man, i would go to war with Coach Cowher anytime" .... he is gonna be an awesome guy to watch thsi year !!!

WWIIOwheelz
09-08-2006, 04:48 PM
I can live with Madden babbling about nothing. It's fun seeing what is wisdom vs yacking to me, because the guy knows his football, fo sho.

All those wanting him gone, be careful what you ask for--- *cough* Theisman *cough*

:)

JM's a fixture for me. He loves coming to the 'Burgh, too.

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 04:54 PM
I still can't take listening to him. TV on mute, Steelers radio please.

Mosca
09-08-2006, 05:46 PM
I still can't take listening to him. TV on mute, Steelers radio please.

Ah, not an option if you're out of town.

I have a broadcast tape of the Steelers SuperBowl XIV game with Myron Cope and Jack Fleming overdubbed. I watched it a couple months ago, it brought tears to my eyes.

Tom

Steelillini
09-09-2006, 09:30 AM
My favorite Madden moment from the game was after Joey sacked Culpepper and did the roll and then the boot. Al Michaels said what do you think Porter was trying to say there and Madden came back with "I think he said the game is over."

jaysta
09-09-2006, 09:38 AM
My favorite Madden moment from the game was after Joey sacked Culpepper and did the roll and then the boot. Al Michaels said what do you think Porter was trying to say there and Madden came back with "I think he said the game is over."

Madden can be quite annoying at times, but that was funny.

Elvis
09-09-2006, 03:20 PM
John Madden always does a great job in opinion.. He is So Knowledgeable and he knows the game unlike Tony CornHeiser.. he is a joke.. he aint no different then that Miller guy on Monday Night Football a few years back... Love Madden and Respect him, he is one of the great all-time coaches..

Jimmy James
09-09-2006, 11:52 PM
The reason Madden needs to hang it up is the same as the reason that Brett Favre needs to hang it up after this year. Hanging on for too long ruins the good memories of when the person was on top.

It's true that the crop of announcers these days is quite weak. My favorite team is probably the Enberg/Dierdorf team, scary as that is. My favorite PBP guy is Kenny Albert, but I don't really like Baldinger (I think that's still who he is with). I'd like to see Andre Ware get a promotion from ESPN college football coverage to the NFL. I was impressed when I heard him covering one of the Bowls last year or the year before.

cbalke
09-10-2006, 03:37 PM
they could replace madden with frank caliendo(for probably 1/5 the price), and no one would ever know. that guy has madden down so well, it would definitely be fun to try at any rate. :)

HburgXL06
09-10-2006, 04:53 PM
I was just thinkin about it and besides what everyone else has mentioned as messed up here's one thing that stuck out in my mind. Jerome Bettis was supposed to have been added to the NBC broadcast team yet besides the opening ceremonies and once durin the game we never saw him.....what the f*ck? The game was in Pittsburgh to add insult to injury. Some one messin up.

BuFu