PDA

View Full Version : Heinz Field Turf

rowedf
09-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Was it me or was there an ubelievable amount of slips, by STEELERS. I might not have noticed the fish doing the same, but wow, the steelers were slipping everywhere!

Tim
09-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Yeah, Heinz is a great stadium, but it's crippled with a substandard playing surface. Pittsburgh also allows too many events to happen there during the regular season.

And Pitt should have it's own stadium. It seems to be a pretty unfair situation when your NFL franchise has to play on a field messed up the previous day by a college team.

Stlrs4Life
09-08-2006, 10:22 AM
They need to go to Field Turf like they have in Sissynati or Baltisore. Even my HS team has it, and it is nice.

nicesteel4life
09-08-2006, 10:46 AM
YES they Slipped everywhere!!! It's our dam home....Adjust the spikes
On a cool evening with all that water around it settles on the field and makes it very very slippery.

Buzz05
09-08-2006, 10:54 AM
It seems to be a pretty unfair situation when your NFL franchise has to play on a field messed up the previous day by a college team.

...And a sub par college team at that...LETS GO STATE ! haha sorry had to get that in there

nicesteel4life
09-08-2006, 10:59 AM
YUCK!!!!! Penn State

Tim
09-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Torn really because I went to both ;)

I'm a PSU football fan, but a Pitt basketball fan. It's really an easy way to split the difference.

stlrtruck
09-08-2006, 12:37 PM
They aren't the only team that split stadium duties. It's not always about the field, it could be about the crew taking care of the field.

and, just to join in....

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!

tatchick
09-08-2006, 12:57 PM
I noticed the same thing during the game. But it didn't seem that Miami was having as much of a problem. Different spikes? I also noticed that the condition of the field didn't seem as good as years past. What is going on? This seems to be a problem that should be taken care of before someone gets hurt. The weather isn't even bad yet. What will happen when you add a 50+ degree temperature drop and some snow?

bigbensgirl7
09-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Was it me or was there an ubelievable amount of slips, by STEELERS. I might not have noticed the fish doing the same, but wow, the steelers were slipping everywhere!

Yes there were. I was actually just going to post something about this but then I saw your thread. I ,however, didn't see Miami slipping much at all leading me to believe that maybe they need to change thier cleats or something!

Atlanta Dan
09-08-2006, 01:15 PM
The field will be in its usual cow pasture shape by early November - it appeared last night that the field between the hash marks already is worn, which is a pretty neat trick since the only game played since January 1 was Pitt-Virginia last weekend.

The Rooneys do a lot of things right but their old school refusal to ditch the grass field, which clearly has problems being located next to a riverbed, is going to tear up a multi-milllion $$$ knee sooner rather than later.

Indy_Steelers
09-08-2006, 01:36 PM
The Rooney's do a lot of things right but their old school refusal to ditch the grass field, which clearly has problems being located next to a riverbed, is going to tear up a multi-million $$$ knee sooner rather than later.

I hope th Steelers NEVER go to a fake field surface. They just need to do a better job at researching natural surfaces. Purdue University has a great natural surface that they engineered themselves. I has all the advantages of artificial grass and none of the problems.

ch33ky_chikk
09-08-2006, 06:12 PM
I hope the Steelers NEVER go to a fake field surface. They just need to do a better job at researching natural surfaces. Purdue University has a great natural surface that they engineered themselves. I has all the advantages of artificial grass and none of the problems.

I'm with you on this one, lovejoy! Football was never intended to be played on artificial turf. For the love of mud and all things good and holy I pray with all my heart that the Steelers never and by that I mean NEVER quit playing on real grass in an open stadium.
I love and by love I really mean LOVE it when they play in the mud and the muck and even in the snow. Football is not for hot house plastic pansy players or fair weather fans.

I work on a horse farm and know for a fact that there are varities of grass out there that are a gazillion times better than artificial stuff ... way more resilient and much softer to land on. A thin layer of indoor/outdoor carpeting layed over either cement or concrete is not an idea surface to play on.

GO STEELERS!

X-Terminator
09-08-2006, 07:12 PM
The Steelers actually use the same surface that the Broncos use - DD Grassmaster. It's real grass with a synthetic base to it.

DD Grassmaster (http://www.dessodlw.com/vervolg.asp?fID=03080000&dID=index&sID=index&lID=en)

But yet, the field at Invesco is consistently in way better shape than ours. Perhaps the Rooneys need to get in touch with Broncos management and ask them how they take care of it? Because the field has been bad pretty much since the day it opened.

Come to think of it...the WVU Mountaineers just switched to a "grass" surface that they developed themselves, and it looks pretty good - how about using that?

Atlanta Dan
09-08-2006, 09:52 PM
I had read the Steelers latest turf is the same as the Broncos. However, in addition to the fact Heinz Field is next to a river, which I assume is not a positive factor in keeping a field dry, I believe the Broncos do not share their field with a college team and do not authorize an annual late fall massacre of the field by having 4 high school games played on the field in one day in November.

Baltimore's climate is closer to that of Pittsburgh than Denver's - I would check out what the Ravens are putting down. Whatever the Steelers' latest turf plan may be is not working.

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-08-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't think the field being bad has anything to do with it being next to the rivers. This field has never been in good shape.Money ought to be invested in it before that million dollar knee gets blown!!!

jaysta
09-08-2006, 10:51 PM
The Steelers actually use the same surface that the Broncos use - DD Grassmaster. It's real grass with a synthetic base to it.

DD Grassmaster (http://www.dessodlw.com/vervolg.asp?fID=03080000&dID=index&sID=index&lID=en)

But yet, the field at Invesco is consistently in way better shape than ours. Perhaps the Rooneys need to get in touch with Broncos management and ask them how they take care of it?

I spent some time out at Invesco a couple of years ago, and you are right, the surface is exactly like the Steelers grass. At the time the Steelers and Broncos were the only two teams using it. The grass actually weaves down through sand and the roots are "tied" into that synthetic base that you mentioned. This keeps it from pulling out and the entire field has drains running through it so that players won't cause ruts. It has heaters under it and the roots are watered from underneath as well to keep the grass from becoming wet. Honestly the humidity is so high with fog all over Western PA I think that's what made the grass so wet. Only certain types of cleats can be worn so as to not hurt the system so that's most likely why they had a couple of slips.

X-Terminator
09-08-2006, 10:56 PM
The Ravens use a version of synthetic grass - it isn't a natural surface. The Bengals started using FieldTurf, as most people know their original grass field was worse than ours. I know a lot of people think fields should be nothing but grass and dirt and mud, but we're talking about the safety of players here, and as BnG Bleeder said, million dollar knees are on the line. The Steelers should seriously consider switching to FieldTurf or some form of artificial grass surface before someone gets hurt. We just have to accept the fact that some areas just aren't good for growing and maintaining a quality grass surface.

X-Terminator
09-08-2006, 11:00 PM
I spent some time out at Invesco a couple of years ago, and you are right, the surface is exactly like the Steelers grass. At the time the Steelers and Broncos were the only two teams using it. The grass actually weaves down through sand and the roots are "tied" into that synthetic base that you mentioned. This keeps it from pulling out and the entire field has drains running through it so that players won't cause ruts. It has heaters under it and the roots are watered from underneath as well to keep the grass from becoming wet. Honestly the humidity is so high with fog all over Western PA I think that's what made the grass so wet. Only certain types of cleats can be worn so as to not hurt the system so that's most likely why they had a couple of slips.

You may be right about the humidity/fog issue - I hadn't thought of that. We had rain over the weekend plus a few cool, foggy mornings including yesterday, so that may indeed have contributed to the slippery field. The concept of the DD GrassMaster surface is good, but again, some places just may not be able to handle a quality natural surface of any kind. Or it could be that the Heinz Field grounds crew isn't doing a very good job - PNC Park sits closer to the river than Heinz and they have never had a problem with it's grass. (Yes, I realize it's a baseball park, but the field does take a beating over 81 games plus concerts and other activities they have there)

jaysta
09-08-2006, 11:08 PM
The Steelers should seriously consider switching to FieldTurf or some form of artificial grass surface before someone gets hurt. We just have to accept the fact that some areas just aren't good for growing and maintaining a quality grass surface.

Now that you mention it, I do recall someone talking about Pittsburgh having a problem with some of their surface. It was a while ago so I can't recall the whole conversation, but something about a fungus on certain areas of the field. Denver's surface was great and seemed flawless. They weren't certain, but they felt that the river could have been causing our problem. It really is a safe surface to run and land on, but if it becomes slippery at night, that's not good.

SteelCityMan786
09-08-2006, 11:27 PM
They need to go to Field Turf like they have in Sissynati or Baltisore. Even my HS team has it, and it is nice.

Stlrs, they should NEVER DO THAT. That field is torture at times on your feet at times. It's almost as bad as Astro Turf.