PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Davenport

Sith Lord
09-08-2006, 02:39 PM
We just signed him....great pick up imo. Put his locker next to the closet like they did in GB.

ROYND1
09-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Nice!! There's our power back!!! Cut Cobbs before we got to see him in action though.O'well. See ya Duce!!!:bouncy:

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Steelers Sign Veteran Running Back; Waive Cobbs

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers added size and experience to their backfield today when they signed veteran running back Najeh Davenport to a one-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not released.

Davenport (6-1, 247), a fifth-year veteran from the University of Miami, spent his first four NFL seasons with the Green Bay Packers. In 39 games, Davenport has rushed for 1,068 yards and seven touchdowns on 217 carries (4.9 avg.). He also has caught 17 passes for 107 yards (6.3 avg.).

Originally drafted by the Packers in the fourth round (135th overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft, Davenport missed most of the 2005 season after breaking his ankle on Oct. 9 against New Orleans. The 27-year-old Davenport, whose first name is pronounced "NAH-jay", set a personal best with 178 rushing yards on Nov. 29, 2004, against the St. Louis Rams.

The Steelers made room on their roster for Davenport by releasing rookie running back Patrick Cobbs, who the team claimed off of waivers from the New England Patriots on Sept. 1.

http://news.steelers.com/article/69125/

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Wow, didn't see this coming at all.

I now have to wear my funny, little hat.

BlackNGold203
09-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I thought we traded a draft pick for Cobbs.....

rowedf
09-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I thought it was an undisclosed draft pick, but now it appears we got him from the waiver wire. That was the first thing I thought too, was why would they waste a draft pick ....

tony hipchest
09-08-2006, 02:48 PM
amidst the j. kuhn mania, who the forgotten man is, is noah herron. how come nobody bemoans us losing him last year? he did replace davenport on the packers depth chart. in fact i'd say he was and is better than kuhn.

i still cant figure out why greenbay cut him.

BlackNGold203
09-08-2006, 02:50 PM
in fact i'd say he was and is better than kuhn.

BLASPHEMY!!!!

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Sith Lord, I changed the thread title. Hope you don't mind?

tony hipchest
09-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Wow, didn't see this coming at all.

I now have to wear my funny, little hat.:propeller:

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 02:55 PM
in fact i'd say he was and is better than kuhn.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

Sith Lord
09-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Sith Lord, I changed the thread title. Hope you don't mind?

Not at all. Do what you must my young padawan.

Sith Lord
09-08-2006, 03:05 PM
i still cant figure out why greenbay cut him.

Injury prone.

Rush58
09-08-2006, 03:10 PM
I called it last week! Woohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Now wait, did you state that you think the Steelers are going to sign him or did you simply bring his name up and throw it out there for us to debate? Calling it would be stating "The Steelers are going to sign Davenport. Mark my words.". Simply stating that you feel the Steelers "should" sign him is different than "calling it". lol.

BlackNGold203
09-08-2006, 03:14 PM
I cant understand why we dont trade Kuhn to KC for Larry Johnson.....

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 03:15 PM
On that note, I think I almost shit my pants. Wait, bad choice of words for this thread?

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 03:16 PM
I cant understand why we dont trade Kuhn to KC for Larry Johnson.....

No, Kuhn and a Kuhn semen sample for future Kuhn cloning for Larry Johnson and KC's first, second and third round picks. :bouncy:

BlackNGold203
09-08-2006, 03:17 PM
On that note, I think I almost shit my pants. Wait, bad choice of words for this thread?

:sofunny: :sofunny:

I can picture Hartings and Peasy pulling this guy to the side and talking to him....

LMAO

Sith Lord
09-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Can we still yell out "Duece" everytime he carries the ball?

Rush58
09-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Now wait, did you state that you think the Steelers are going to sign him or did you simply bring his name up and throw it out there for us to debate? Calling it would be stating "The Steelers are going to sign Davenport. Mark my words.". Simply stating that you feel the Steelers "should" sign him is different than "calling it". lol.

lol, I was referring to fact that this guy fits our system and we should sign him. Obviously, they thought so too now.

83-Steelers-43
Can we still yell out "Duece" everytime he carries the ball?

More importantly, if he fumbles the ball is it safe to say "awww shit!!!" and not have to worry about anything?

Jimmy James
Pittsburgh Gazette: Towel boys strike upon announcement of Davenport signing.

No hamper will be safe with that man on the team.

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 03:24 PM
In all seriousness though, it happened four years ago. If he's matured since then and this organization is comfortable with him on the roster, I'm all for it. Hopefully he can stay healthy past five games. I would be very skeptical if the guy failed four drugs tests or was arrested on more than a few occasions while in college and eventually got kicked out of college.

BlackNGold203
09-08-2006, 03:29 PM
More importantly, if he fumbles the ball is it safe to say "awww shit!!!" and not have to worry about anything?

I cannot BEGIN to add up the mileage you're gonna get from this.....

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 03:33 PM
lol, I was referring to fact that this guy fits our system and we should sign him. Obviously, they thought so too now.

So technically, you did not "call it"......you "suggested it"....:sofunny:

irishsteeler76
09-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Davenport has looked good in the past...when he plays. He is always hurt and Cobbs is young and looked good in the preseason. Hasn't Davenport has alot of "off the field" issues? Maybe it works out.

Rush58
09-08-2006, 03:36 PM
So technically, you did not "call it"......you "suggested it"....:sofunny:

lol, coughs

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Hasn't Davenport has alot of "off the field" issues?

He got in trouble once while he was playing college ball at Miami and it was a "off the toilet" issue.

Ambridge
09-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Dookie's in Pittsburgh.:cool:

BlackNGold203
09-08-2006, 03:42 PM
He got in trouble once while he was playing college ball at Miami and it was a "off the toilet" issue.

*starts a counter...*

:cool: :cool:

SteelerFanInCA
09-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Hopefully this guy can stay healthy and get acclimated to our play book soon.

Mosca
09-08-2006, 03:53 PM
I think he'll start off as being our "#2" back.

Tom

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 04:01 PM
and get acclimated to our play book soon.

And to the lockerroom toilets...:bouncy:

BlackNGold203
09-08-2006, 04:02 PM

*click*

Mosca
09-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Hey, you missed mine. "Number two" back, get it?

Livinginthe past
09-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Well first props to Rush58 - that counts as a good call to me.

Secondly, I think Davenport will be another useful weapon coming out of the backfield - if Ben/Batch lose their 1st and 2nd reads they could always 'dump' it off to Najeh.

A nice signing.

The rich get richer ...and the poo get poo-er.

NM

12+88=6
09-08-2006, 04:23 PM
ok i gotta ask.
what did he do to have all these bodily funtion comments?
i think it would be funnier if i knew.

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 04:25 PM
ok i gotta ask.
what did he do to have all these bodily funtion comments?
i think it would be funnier if i knew.

Here you go.........http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0708/1403417.html

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 04:28 PM
According to police, Davenport crept into a dorm room at Barry University around 6 a.m. on April 1. A woman sleeping in the room, Mary McCarthy, told police she was startled by a strange sound and saw Davenport squatting in her closet. Davenport then allegedly defecated in a laundry basket, McCarthy told detectives.

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

I'm sorry. I'm just playing out that incident in my head.....

Midnightwriter07
09-08-2006, 04:32 PM
First off i put up the Dookie post that we should sign him, but no props are needed even though i took alot of ( shit ) and grief over posting the thread. After watching the game last night and the obvious concerns going into the first game of the season.. Once again i think it just goes to show that Staley isnt the guy and they dont have faith in him.

Parker ran well and did an awesome job, i just think the Steelers are looking for a guy who can wear down defenses when needed by raming it down their throat and trying to save Parker from carrying it 30 plus times in reg season and then again in Playoffs.

Plus, Davenport IMO is good enough to start if something happened to Parker injury wise. He is definately a bruiser back.. Lovethe move and i think it adds alot of depth to our RB core... although i would personally have liked to see Staley go and keeping Cobbs instead.

Excellent move, since made after first week of season ( which is why they didnt sign him before) .. Is for the league minimum.

Doookkkieeee Dooookiieeee ( wondering if that will be the actual chant at games) and for anyone who may not understand move... IMO once he gets some playing time i think will change your mind.. we now have Parker with a 4 ypc ave and also a man who has a 4.5 ypc ave ( that on a shitty GB line ) ... i think he will fit in wonderfully !! wooohhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooo

SteelBreeze
09-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Davenport has got to be totally psyched about this trade. Going from a struggling Green Bay team to the top ranked rushing team in the NFL, (not to mention World Champs). He could not not ask for a better opportunity to revitalize his career. This should be all the motivation he needs to work hard and become the back everyone thought he could be. I look for Davenport to have a break out year behind our OL.

I Like It.

irishsteeler76
09-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Another big back that can dominate behind our O-L. Could be a steal at that price (League Min.)

SteelerFanInCA
09-08-2006, 04:58 PM

That's too funny. What a crappy thread. :sofunny:

Stlrs4Life
09-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Nice pick up. Bye Duce!

HometownGal
09-08-2006, 05:09 PM
No, Kuhn and a Kuhn semen sample for future Kuhn cloning for Larry Johnson and KC's first, second and third round picks. :bouncy:

If Kuhn shoots blanks, they're screwed. :whistle:

I like this signing for a whole lot of reasons. Najeh is big, fast, strong and gets to the hole quickly. Great pick-up by the FO. :getdown:

Midnightwriter07
09-08-2006, 05:33 PM
If Kuhn shoots blanks, they're screwed. :whistle:

I like this signing for a whole lot of reasons. Najeh is big, fast, strong and gets to the hole quickly. Great pick-up by the FO. :getdown:

yes yes yes yes and yes !!

Prosdo
09-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Great news. A friend and I had been wondering if the Steelers would pick him up. Glad to see they did.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Its a good signing. But isn't there some concern of him being our power back when indeed he has had some injury problems in the past just like Duce and Verron. We needed another RB no doubt so no problem with this signing. I just wish we would have cut Duce and kept the kid Cobbs. Did we give up a draft pick for Cobbs or did we claim him off waivers?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-08-2006, 05:51 PM
so how long until Duce is released?

X-Terminator
09-08-2006, 05:55 PM
I like the signing, and evidently the Steelers waited until now to offer him the deal thinking it would cost them less money if Davenport didn't get any other offers from other teams. He gives them the power back they need, someone who can spell Willie and yet another weapon they can use in the passing game. The question for me is not whether they will release Duce, but how does this affect Verron Haynes' status? He has been clamoring for a couple of years for an opportunity to have an expanded role, so you figure he isn't all that happy about Davenport's signing since it pretty much squashes that notion...though he won't say so publicly or around his teammates. Thoughts?

pucho58
09-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I think its a good pick up. He wasn't that bad in Green Bay. I just picked him up off waivers for my fantasy team. Hopefully he is a sleeper.

Midnightwriter07
09-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Well haynes is under contract so it doesnt really matter much.. is not like he is going to be going anywhere. I like Haynes, but i think he is a good 3rd down back.. i personally dont think he would be a starter anywhere else in the league and if on another team, he may not even get to play on 3rd downs and eventually cut. We pay him decent money for his role on this team... prolly too much. But again, If something happens to Parker ( which most RB's do go down at some point for a few games ) he is a nice option to have with Dookie and Staley if needed. Given his role, the money he makes to play that role, and being on a team that the coaches love him and is or should be a SUPER BOWL contender for a few more years... i am not personally concerned if he is not happy about Dookie being signed .. IMO it makes our team better as a whole.

Elvis
09-08-2006, 06:38 PM
I love the signing.. even though I can honestly say that it is a suprise to me that we let Cobbs go and not Duce... Staley should have been the one that was sent packing.. he is finished and the Steelers are just bein' ...well... I hope they know best.. but Duce is like 34 and going down hill and you let a pretty good lookin young guy go... what is the deal here? Davenport is big and physical and hopefuly he can stay healthy...

WisconsinSteelerMan
09-08-2006, 07:00 PM
SUPER SUPER SUPER SIGNING!!!!!

Having watched Davenport over the past several years (except last year) he was extremely productive for Green Bay and did a lot of the same things that we had the bus doing. He is also a pretty nice guy (never knew about his past problems!) and will fit well into our culture! After last night's game and seeing Willie really grow as a runner and today with this signing, my fears about our running game have been allayed. Our offense is going to be AWESOME this year with all of the tools we have at our disposal!!!

I am amazed with our front office's smarts!!!!!!!

Here we go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!

Mike (AKA A hardcore born and bred Steelers fan transplanted in the middle of CHEEZE country!!!)

MattsMe
09-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Hmm...closet...shit...Packers....uh oh.

What's the difference between Davenport and Tom Brady?

Davenport can be found in the closet emptying his bowels.
Brady's in the closet filling his.

klick81
09-08-2006, 08:01 PM
OMG...i'm crackin' up over here. He took a dump in a woman's laundry basket??? LOL...what the hell was he doing that for? :sofunny:

Having said that, I love this signing. It's a win-win for both the team and Davenport!

Blitzburgh
09-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Any knowledgable Steeler fan has to absolutely love this signing. C'mon ... a veteran 6'1" 250 lbs power back that runs like a beast and looking for a new team for a fresh start. Those who say he's injury prone are full of it ... the man had a broken ankle for christ sakes. Anyone who's seen him when he's on his game knows he can make life miserable for the opposing D ....

clevestinks
09-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Good Deal I`m just not sold on a Miami U player though

83-Steelers-43
09-08-2006, 08:49 PM
so how long until Duce is released?

Ask Davenport, he should know when a "Duce" is released...:bouncy:

Sorry, I will stop now. It's just very tempting. :smile:

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Any knowledgable Steeler fan has to absolutely love this signing. C'mon ... a veteran 6'1" 250 lbs power back that runs like a beast and looking for a new team for a fresh start. Those who say he's injury prone are full of it ... the man had a broken ankle for christ sakes. Anyone who's seen him when he's on his game knows he can make life miserable for the opposing D ....

Brings to mind another Big back they signed several years ago .... A big back that wasn't going to help his team yet he came to us and helped us for several years... I'm not saying he will be a Hall of Famer but I like him behind our line...BTW that other back's name ...Jerome Bettis..

jaysta
09-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Brings to mind another Big back they signed several years ago .... A big back that wasn't going to help his team yet he came to us and helped us for several years... I'm not saying he will be a Hall of Famer but I like him behind our line...BTW that other back's name ...Jerome Bettis..

This may work out pretty good for us. Davenport hasn't had a ton of carries in his 5 years in the NFL, but if he takes over Jerome's role from last year, he won't need many carries to make an impact. BTW if Parker is on your fantasy squad, his stock just took a hit if your league only counts TD's.

stillers4me
09-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Well, did the charges get dropped, or what??

Just wondering........

stillers4me
09-08-2006, 09:47 PM
ok......I found this......

Criminal charges in Miami
He achieved a small measure of infamy before joining the Packers by allegedly defecating in the closet of a Barry University woman's dorm room on April 1, 2002. In a plea bargain, the felony charge of second-degree burglary and a misdemeanor count of criminal mischief were dropped in exchange for 100 hours of community service.[1]

stillers4me
09-08-2006, 09:49 PM
He's had a fractured eye socket, hamstring injury, broken ribs and a broken ankle. Ben's going to catch up to him real soon. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/45.gif

Steelknife
09-09-2006, 12:18 AM
I love this signing. Definitely.

He will be on the field spelling Parker as soon as he learns the offense enough to run forward. Perhaps not vs Jacksonville, but definitely by the time we get to Cincy. If he runs as he did with GB behind a sorry GB o-line, he's going to be in Pittsburgh for a long time.

4.7, 5.5, 5.1, 3.9 ypc in his 4 years, with his 3.9 ypc coming the year he got injured.

4.9 ypc for his career.

6'1 247.

4.57 40.

Positives: Solidly-built athlete with a thick upper body and strong legs ? Bruising inside runner with a powerful leg drive and determination to punish defenders that get in his path ? Shows good weave in his run past the line of scrimmage, displaying proper hip movement upfield ? Changes direction well and has an assortment of moves to cut back outside when turning the corner ? Crisp route runner who shows good body adjustment going for the off-target passes ? Breaks arm tackles easily and has excellent short area quickness ? Runs at a low pad level and has a low center of gravity through the holes as a lead blocker ? Maintains balance and does an excellent job of keeping his shoulders square upon contact ? Has large, soft hands and great ball awareness as a receiver out of the backfield.

Negatives: Has limited juking moves and little wiggle when trying to get to the second level ? More of a one-cut runner, but can make the initial tackler miss ? Needs to show better hip snap when attacking the holes ? Runs too upright and has marginal flexibility and change-of-direction agility ? Lacks the sustained speed to get to the second level ? May have to operate in a one-back offense due to his blocking skills (does what he's asked with devastating results, but prefers to be the backfield's focal point).

An outstanding triple-threat at fullback, Davenport provided Miami with one of college football's finest "big backs" ? Possesses a startling combination of size and speed ? Has been a consistent threat as a receiver throughout his career ? Developed into a devastating blocker in his senior season ? One of the team's most respected leaders, he earned the team's Unsung Hero Award this season in recognition of his sacrifices and willingness to put team success ahead of individual goals ? Finished his career with 830 yards and 13 touchdowns on 156 carries (5.3 avg) and 381 yards with three scores on 35 receptions (10.9 avg).

Some more...

350-pound bench press ? 365-pound squat ? 320-pound power clean ? 34-inch vertical jump ? 32-inch arm length ? ?-inch hands.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-09-2006, 09:13 AM

Just wondering........

He pled innocent ...but the judge thought he was full of crap.

Try the veal..

MattsMe
09-09-2006, 09:17 AM
He pled innocent ...but the judge thought he was full of crap.

Try the veal..

But then his lawyer objected on the grounds that after his trip to the closet, he was now "empty of crap."

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-09-2006, 09:25 AM
But then his lawyer objected on the grounds that after his trip to the closet, he was now "empty of crap."

I heard he had to dump all the charges because the judges case load was too heavy...with the condition that he would drop off an apology...and nothing else!
....Word was Davenport was very relieved now that the pressure was off

....sorry....couldnt help myself.

LambertIsGod58
09-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Well, first of all, I'm not gonna read 7 pages so if I repeat someone else, sorry. Davenport brings us the bigger back with SPEED. He's fast than Bettis was in that role and lightyears ahead of Staley. I just wished we cut Staley instead of Cobbs. I was happy as hell that we addressed the fact Davenport was out there. Let's face it, how often do we do something like this?

Petesburgh66
09-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Nice pickup. It will save some wear and tear on Willie Parker for short yardage.

tony hipchest
09-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Ask Davenport, he should know when a "Duce" is released...:bouncy:

Sorry, I will stop now. It's just very tempting. :smile:in a news conference he revealed that he got the call from his agent as he was "dropping the kids off at the pool"

Steelknife
09-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Pro Career

2004: Though limited by several different injuries over the course of the year, still finished second on the team in rushing with 359 yards and two touchdowns on 71 carries (5.1 avg.) as the primary backup to Ahman Green. Also returned kickoffs when healthy, averaging 20.4 yards on 14 runbacks, and made four receptions for 33 yards. Played in 11 regular-season games, starting once; he was inactive for the other five contests. Averaged 12.5 offensive snaps per game in the 11 contests he was active. Also saw action in NFC Wild Card battle with Minnesota (Jan. 9)

2003: Was a multi-faceted part of the Packers' success, serving as a productive backup to Ahman Green at halfback, as a top-level kickoff returner over the second half of the season and as one of the club's top special teams coverage performers. Saw reserve action in 15 regular-season games, he was inactive for the other contest (Sept. 29 at Chicago) with wrist and hamstring injuries suffered eight days earlier at Arizona. Also played in both playoff games. Finished second on the team with a career-high 420 yards and 2 touchdowns on 77 carries. Enjoyed the second-best rushing average (5.45 yards per carry) among the NFL's top 59 running backs, being edged out by the Broncos' 1,591-yard rusher Clinton Portis (5.49). Also made 6 receptions for 38 yards. Became the Packers' primary kickoff returner beginning with the 10th game, he averaged an impressive 31.6 yards per runback over the final seven contests, including 4 returns of over 40 yards; his 31.6-yard average would have led the entire NFL, but his 16 returns (for 505 yards) fell four shy of the 20 needed for qualification. Also was an important contributor to the coverage units, ranking fourth among Packers with 15 special teams tackles. Added 2 more coverage stops in the postseason. Carried 16 times for 63 yards and returned 7 kickoffs for 139 yards during the playoffs.

2002: Emerged early in the regular season as the backup to Ahman Green at halfback after beginning the year as the Packers? reserve fullback. Rushed for 184 yards (third on team) and one touchdown on 39 carries ? for an impressive 4.7-yard average. Also was an occasional deep man on kickoffs, returning six for a 21.7-yard average, before his season ended prematurely due to an eye injury. Additionally made five receptions for 33 yards and four special teams tackles prior to being hurt.

College Career

Was a four-time letterman (1998-2001) at the University of Miami (Fla.) following a redshirt season in 1997...A highly-recruited tailback coming out of high school, initially split time with future high NFL draft choices James (Colts, first round in '99), James Jackson (Browns, third round in '01) and Portis (Broncos, second round in '02) before moving to fullback on a permanent basis for the last year-and-a-half of his collegiate career...Averaged 5.3 yards per carry with the Hurricanes, rushing 156 times for 830 yards and 13 touchdowns...Also made 35 receptions for 381 yards and 3 TDs, in addition to returning 14 kickoffs for 346 yards (24.7 avg.)...Played in 32 games as a collegian with 16 starts, including 11 as a senior...Served as a captain on Miami's 12-0, national championship team in 2001, though he was forced to miss the Hurricanes' blowout of Nebraska in the Rose Bowl after breaking the fifth metatarsal bone in his left foot during a Dec. 21 practice...Playing fullback on a full-time basis for the first time in '01, he helped to pave the way for a 1,200-yard rushing year by Portis and was honored following the season with the school's 'Unsung Hero' award in recognition of his willingness to put team success ahead of individual goals...Had rotated between tailback and fullback for much of his junior season, making a career-best 15 receptions (for 149 yards and 1 touchdown) to go along with his 308 yards and 4 TDs rushing...Scored twice in 37-20 victory over Florida in the Nokia Sugar Bowl to cap '00 campaign...Received the school's 'Jessie Armstead Comeback Player of the Year' award in 2000, recognizing his return from knee injury that limited his '99 season to one game...Rushed for 81 yards on 13 carries (6.2 avg.) in 1999 Kickoff Classic vs. Ohio State at the Meadowlands before tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee...Enjoyed career highs in yards rushing (387) and rushing TDs (6) in 1998 as a redshirt freshman, leading all UM backs with an average of 7.0 yards per carry...Ran for a career-best 92 yards in consecutive weeks, vs. East Tennessee State and at Cincinnati, to open the '98 campaign, he later started Miami on its comeback from a 17-point, second-half deficit in 49-45 triumph over No. 3 UCLA at the Orange Bowl, scampering 23 yards for a score that pulled the Hurricanes to within 38-28 in the final seconds of the third quarter...Set a Big East record with 208 kickoff return yards (on 7 runbacks) in 1998 contest at Syracuse...Worked with the Hurricanes' scout team during 1997 redshirt season...Also won four letters (1998-2001) as a sprinter on the Miami track team, competing in the 100-meter dash and 4x100-meter relay; was a member of the Hurricanes' 4x100 relay team that was the 1999 Big East champion...Earned a B.A. degree in theatre, with a minor in education.

Personal Bio

Given name Najeh (pronounced NAH-jay) Trenadious Mont? Davenport...Nicknamed 'Big Boy'...Born in Raleigh, N.C....Single...Has one daughter, I'tee (born 12/2/99), and one son, Najeh Jr. (born 3/19/02)...Was a highly-recruited tailback coming out of Miami Central High School...Rushed for 1,098 yards and 15 touchdowns in just five games as a senior, including 200-or-more yards in four of those contests...Named All-Dade (County) by the Miami Herald...Had carried 100 times for 622 yards and 7 TDs during his junior season...Won four letters each in football (also playing strong safety) and track...Also received All-Dade recognition as a track athlete...Putting his undergraduate degree to practical use in the offseason, this past March spent one week in Los Angeles as an actor in the movie Blood Money, starring Busta Rhymes and 50 Cent and scheduled for release by Alabaster Productions in September of 2003...Originally was set to appear in the movie as a henchman, but he received a bigger role following his audition; ended up playing a nightclub owner who is getting extorted, he expects to have speaking lines in several different scenes...Off-the-field interests also include watching cartoons, paintball and operating remote control airplanes and cars...Boyhood friends included fellow NFL players Santana Moss (Jets), Marvin Minnis (Chiefs) and Nate Webster (Buccaneers)

pittsburgh$teelersfan
09-09-2006, 02:43 PM
yep he's 6'2 and weighs 250 pounds I saw it in a article.:bouncy:

stillers4me
09-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Hmmmmmmm.......The Bus..........The Dumptruck..........ok.........I'll leave now........

pittsburgh$teelersfan
09-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Now we have lightening and thunder like the giants. They have tiki and jacobs and we have parker and davenport.

clevestinks
09-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Nice pickup. It will save some wear and tear on Willie Parker for short yardage.

This is so true. Although I think Willie could be a good short yardage back, because he hits the hole so fast. It will be nice for him not to take that beating!

jaysta
09-09-2006, 06:40 PM
yep he's 6'2 and weighs 250 pounds I saw it in a article.:bouncy:

Willie's fantasy value just took a major hit. LOL

clevestinks
09-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Willie's fantasy value just took a major hit. LOL

This is also true! But hell almost every team uses two back now more than they ever did!

Koopa
09-09-2006, 06:48 PM
his fantasy value was never high in the first place, he doesn't score enough td's to warrant getting him high, even though i got him with my second pick lol........

Dynasty
09-10-2006, 03:28 PM

Just wondering.........

He's definately dropped some charges in the past.