PDA

View Full Version : Ike Talor

R2sojr
09-09-2006, 04:20 PM
i dunno if im the only one who sees this...but the way Ike has been playin through the preseason and the 1st game he doesnt look like the top 5 corner he claims to be....im a diehard steeler fan to death but im just stating my opinion here...yeah he shuts down a couple recievers but he still needs alot of work to be the top 5 corner he claims...plus y do they give other recievers a ten yard cusion every snap....ike has great cover skills but i think his weakness is his tackling ability....please state ur honest opions here...agree or disagree

Koopa
09-09-2006, 04:23 PM
how many times did he get scored on thursday???? that's what i thought.......bend don't break defense

ike just doesn't have hands but at least we ain't getting scored on at will

pittsburgh$teelersfan
09-09-2006, 04:29 PM
i dunno if im the only one who sees this...but the way Ike has been playin through the preseason and the 1st game he doesnt look like the top 5 corner he claims to be....im a diehard steeler fan to death but im just stating my opinion here...yeah he shuts down a couple recievers but he still needs alot of work to be the top 5 corner he claims...plus y do they give other recievers a ten yard cusion every snap....ike has great cover skills but i think his weakness is his tackling ability....please state ur honest opions here...agree or disagree

Are you crazy ike is a shut down corner.Like koopa said how many tds did chris score?:rolleyes:

Hines86Ward
09-09-2006, 04:29 PM
He's a shutdown corner with no hands. The guy is one of my favorite players on the team, but I think he needs to really work on catching the ball. He shutdown some good WR's last year (Chad Johnson {3 times}, Andre Johnson, Derrick Mason, Donald Driver, Marvin Harrison, & Rod Smith). I think he'll get better as the year goes along. It's the beginning of the season & he's just getting warmed up. He did alright against Chris Chambers the other night, he just couldn't tackle. Give the guy time, there's a reason he just got an extension....

pittsburgh$teelersfan
09-09-2006, 04:31 PM
hey hines did you join the bengals meesage board I was trolling there and saw you their.:busted:

Hines86Ward
09-09-2006, 04:34 PM
hey hines did you join the bengals meesage board I was trolling there and saw you their.:busted:

I'm on alot of different boards, but I do go to that one too.....I only post things in the "Around The NFL" & "College Football" sections though, I don't wanna waste my time talking smack to those people

Steelknife
09-09-2006, 04:36 PM
FOR

THE

LAST

TIME

IKE SHUT DOWN ONE OF THE TOP TIER WRS IN THE LEAGUE.

He had 5 catches for 40 yards vs Champ Bailey.

He had 15 catches for 238 yards vs Buffalo.

He's damn good.IKE SHUT DOWN ONE OF THE TOP TIER WRS IN THE LEAGUE.

He's damn good.

CHAMBERS IS A PRO BOWLER AND GOT SHUT DOWN

83-Steelers-43
09-09-2006, 05:06 PM
He's a shutdown corner with no hands. The guy is one of my favorite players on the team, but I think he needs to really work on catching the ball. He shutdown some good WR's last year (Chad Johnson {3 times}, Andre Johnson, Derrick Mason, Donald Driver, Marvin Harrison, & Rod Smith). I think he'll get better as the year goes along. It's the beginning of the season & he's just getting warmed up. He did alright against Chris Chambers the other night, he just couldn't tackle. Give the guy time, there's a reason he just got an extension....

I agree with that. He still has room to grow and improve. Starting with catching the ball and tackling. Hopefully after getting that extension he starts working on both aspects.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
09-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I really hope he improves on his catching:hope:

Koopa
09-09-2006, 05:36 PM

yeah, but it's not like it's really hurting us....ints are just gravy for him since he does a good job of shutting them down and batting down passes

83-Steelers-43
09-09-2006, 05:43 PM

You and me both. You never know when one of those INT's can change the outcome of a game. Also, if he wants those bigger bucks after this contract is up, he might want to learn how to catch gift wrapped INT's. It may not have effected us in this past game, but you never know about future games when you need that gift wrapped timely INT.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
09-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I wonder why he just can't catch the ball.He still is good.I hope he continues to shutdown the top wrs.As long as he does that I have no problem with him.:cool:

Stillers#1
09-09-2006, 05:55 PM
yeah, but it's not like it's really hurting us....ints are just gravy for him since he does a good job of shutting them down and batting down passes

No, his lack of hands hurts the team I think. If he holds on to the pick, it's 28-10 instead of 28-17. We were actually two plays from it being a blow-out. This game could have very easily 35-10.

Ike needs to work on the hands badly. I could have caught that pick.

Koopa
09-09-2006, 06:03 PM
No, his lack of hands hurts the team I think. If he holds on to the pick, it's 28-10 instead of 28-17. We were actually two plays from it being a blow-out. This game could have very easily 35-10.

Ike needs to work on the hands badly. I could have caught that pick.

did we lose??? nope don't matter it's not hurting us really bad....they'd be nice to have but it's not like it's totally killing us

SteelCzar76
09-09-2006, 06:21 PM
(Day Day (SteelKnife) Craig (Me),... voices from "Friday after next")

(SteelKnife) "Ike is one of the Greatest,.....like Rod woodson"

(Me) "Ike is not Rod Woodson"

(SteelKnife) "He's somethin like Rod Woodson"

(Me) "No,....He's nothin like Rod Woodson"

LMAO

Real talk though,....there is no such thing as a "Shutdown" corner anymore with the new rules regarding contact. And Ike Taylor,... or ANY corner that we've had since Rod Left,... cannot even be mentioned in the same breath as him (Rod).
With that said,.....i really do like Ike as a player and wish the utmost success to him. His success is of great benefit to this organization. I was impressed with the level of confidence (ie swagger) that he played with in the opener. This is the first step,....belief.
However,.....he needs to focus when tackling and making plays on the ball. I can't blame him for the "cushion" he gives recievers,.....that's Gameplan.
Bottom line,......Ike has all the physical tools, and is a Steeler from balls to bone,...but still has room for improvement. But then again,.....don't we all ? Never rest on your Laurels,...there is ALWAYS another level.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

Stlrs4Life
09-09-2006, 06:52 PM
FOR

THE

LAST

TIME

He's damn good.

CHAMBERS IS A PRO BOWLER AND GOT SHUT DOWN

Tell us how you really feel Steelknife!

Ike is a good corner. Maybe not top 5 yet. But he is tough.

Midnightwriter07
09-09-2006, 07:36 PM
he is a good coprner.. that is the extent of it.. teams arent afraid to go at him, is not like he scares anyone and he wont until he corrects his tackling problem and his INT problem if he ever does.

SteelCzar76
09-09-2006, 07:44 PM
teams arent afraid to go at him, is not like he scares anyone and he wont until he corrects his tackling problem and his INT problem if he ever does.

Exactly.

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Ya, he has room to improve but when your tied up with a teams best wide reciever all night you may look like a rookie every now and then...all in all, he does a great job..

jaysta
09-09-2006, 08:06 PM
He's doing OK at the corner. It is perplexing though how he can miss some of those interceptions. Those guys have so much stick em' on their gloves nowadays that I can't believe anything goes through their hands.:smile:

Midnightwriter07
09-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Well that goes into coaching as well.... it was clear to me and my friends here that if Saban would have been throwing slants and hitting Chambers on the short passes earlier in the game... could have been a diff story. I know taylor plays 10 yards off the ball because he will get beat deep... and why teams dont take advantage of that each week i have no idea... is a no brainer to me, i would have been throwing to Chambers each play and picked up 6 yards ( givin that taylor doesnt always tackle well either ) ..... That would have been more effective than trying to run Brown and could have easily move the chains. He is a good corner.. nowhere near GREAT so i dont know why people keep throwing that word out there .. is like saying Willie is GREAT..... reminds me of Theisman calling every player that makes a play ... SPECIAL... is ludicrous.

BlackNGoldFever
09-09-2006, 08:38 PM
He's a good corner. Can't nobody be great at everything all the time. He'll get his hand game going. He did as well as anyone else out there what wit all that slipping and slidin around and running out a bounds and that weakass FG attempt and the fumble at the 1. It was pretty damn sloppy game all said and done, and we still ran over the fins. Nuff said.

FOR

THE

LAST

TIME

Is there an echo in here?

stlrtruck
09-09-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm more worried about his tackling ability, actually the lack there of! There were many times that he could have held the guy to little or no gain and he didn't!!! He needs to learn to hit the person, not dive at their feet!!!

Other than that, I like Ike but if he continues to play like he did Thursday night, it's going to make it harder on the other 3 DBs to play their positions thinking about having to cover up his mis-tackling!

Steelknife
09-09-2006, 08:49 PM
In 3 games vs the Steelers, how many TDs did Chad Johnson score?

19ward86
09-09-2006, 09:02 PM
he cant tackle? 90 somethin tackles last season.

tony hipchest
09-10-2006, 01:09 AM
wow. people seem to be down on ike. maybe we can trade for chad scott back. find washington, or just throw colclough in there.

that sb interception was pretty timely. anyone notice how he seems to be in the right place at the right time regardless if he picks off the ball or not. does anyone really expect him to set the record for interceptions in a season? if he does, we will no longer be able to afford him and he is gone anyways.

if we wanted deangello hall or dunta robinson we wouldve passed on roethlisberger and moved up and gotten them. we simply cant have the best at every position. hell, were probably gonna lose porter cause hes been playing so good the last year and a game.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-10-2006, 01:53 AM
wow. people seem to be down on ike. maybe we can trade for chad scott back. find washington, or just throw colclough in there.

that sb interception was pretty timely. anyone notice how he seems to be in the right place at the right time regardless if he picks off the ball or not. does anyone really expect him to set the record for interceptions in a season? if he does, we will no longer be able to afford him and he is gone anyways.

if we wanted deangello hall or dunta robinson we wouldve passed on roethlisberger and moved up and gotten them. we simply cant have the best at every position. hell, were probably gonna lose porter cause hes been playing so good the last year and a game.

Paint the picture. Sports ticker.... Ike Taylor signs 4 yr extention AND OH BY THE WAY Ben has emergency surgery. WTF. Crystal ball? Are premature ulcers in my future?

Simultaneaous delight and horror as I gloat with tickets in hand.

You're absolutley right on Tony because the post-negotiation "shut down corner" debate is over. In the context of the $10+ million signing bonus it is an issue but under contract just being there to make the play is something we should be grateful about. I'm glad this chapter is closed. I'm guessing agent watching the drops realized that he had one last chance for Ike to remain a Steeler.

Agents can do math. If Ike started the regular season w/o a contract then effectively his days as a Steeler were numbered.

Ike is really good. Ike can sometimes be beaten. Ike is not great...yet. But Ike is a Steeler and both are happy about that.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Ok I have never proclaimed Ike a shut down corner. I thought he had a very good year last year but not the kind of year to proclaim him a shut down corner. But I have to stick up for the guy in this silly debate. About the miss tackles. Hey Troy misses tackles as well at times. I don't see anybody saying Troy needs to work on his tackling.

I agree Ike needs to work on his hands bad. True it didn't hurt us against the Dolphins. But when the Dolphins were winning 17-14. If Ike would have finished that INT. The score would have been 14-10 us.

About the issue of the 10 yard cushion. I think thats more of LeBeau letting the corners plays the cushion. In the playoff game against the Colts. Our DB's jammed alot more in that game and didn't give the Colt's WR's as big of a cushion.

I agree its fustrating watching teams pickup those little 6 yard gains on us with that cushion. But its better then a 40+yard TD.

The bottom line Ike Taylor is a talented young corner who is still growing as a player. With us resigning him we will get to see him grow with the Steelers instead of another teams uniform. Leave Ike alone he will be fine.

BBC
09-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Ike is not a great corner, a top 5 corner, nor a shut down corner. He is a corner that can get the job done in the Steelers system, but he is none of those things some would like to call him. He is very weak when it comes to short passes, and that is because he can't keep up with a fast receiver (just ask Marvin Harrison), so he has to give a large cushion. This makes it very easy to just simply nickel and dime it all the way down the field for a touchdown. Seattle exploited it, and Miami exploited it. Unfortunately for them, they gave up on it - one of these days a team is going to figure it out.

Midnightwriter07
09-10-2006, 10:49 AM
well there wouldnt be anyone saying much if people didnt get on here proclaiming IKe to be a shutdown corner or a GREAT corner or talk about how is is like Woodson..

OR when his contract was going on that we SHOULD pay him as a top 5 corner... I always say he is a good corner and leave it at that, just as Townsend is a good corner.

is funny to me because we do actually have players on this team that are the top at thier position ... but for some reason they dont get talked about as much as people who want to make Taylor something he is not.

I dont hear people brag about Hartings so much when he is one of the best not only in the AFC, but all of the NFL..

I dont hear people brag so much about Hampton when he is definately if not the best NG in the game, then definate top 3.

Kreider, Porter, Troy, Ward,

Ike plain and simple is not there in that catagory

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Hello people, Ike is a DEFENSIVE back, he's not supposed to catch the ball !! If he could catch he would be a WR!! :bouncy:

SteelShooter
09-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Ike is an INCREDIBLE shutdown corner. But, in agreement with most here, he still has a considerable amount of work on his hands and tackling. The biggest thing I saw on Thursdays game with Ike was his refusal to get just a little closer to the receiver and shut down those quick passes....and his knack for slipping on the wet turf. A lot of our guys had that problem that night. But, as much as I hate to say it, I did not see that many Fins slipping...........wonder why? Different cleats?

BlackNGoldFever
09-10-2006, 03:04 PM
... and his knack for slipping on the wet turf. A lot of our guys had that problem that night. But, as much as I hate to say it, I did not see that many Fins slipping...........wonder why? Different cleats?

Yeah. What was wit that?

SteelShooter
09-10-2006, 03:07 PM
.....................I dunno

Rotorhead
09-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Ike is on his way to being a premier corner in the league, the FO saw that and that is why he was signed (at the possibility of losing Porter next season). I love Ike for one reason, we are not getting beat deep anymore. He is not slow, he can run down the faster receivers if he gets caught of position. The cushion is a Lebeau thing plain and simple, the Steelers did it all last season with the bend not break defense. There were alot of missed tackles that game it wasnt just Ike . . . however if there is one thing he needs to work on, it is his hands, and I personally think that will be coming around this season! Last season was the first season the Steelers didnt have to worry about the deep ball, and that was a relief. Every def backfield will get beat deep every now and again, but if ours can keep it to a minimum then we are going to win alot of games!

Elvis
09-11-2006, 08:20 AM
R2soJr...
What game are you watchin'? Ike Taylor may miss the Int's that he should catch but he plays very good defense against some of the best WR"s every week that he is asked to.. I am impressed with him and Desheas townsend because neither one is giving up big plays and they have Always been good tacklers... Tyrone Carter is the Joke of our Defense in my Opinion.. we have 3 or 4 deep at CB and that is very rare in this league.. sounds to me like R2soJr... you need to watch the game a little ( ALOT) closer before you start pointing fingers at our players..

Midnightwriter07
09-11-2006, 10:14 AM
well i do watch the games very closely... and Ike is not a solide tackler, you must be referring to the part where after the catch the WR gets anotother 5 yards or so before Taylor actually takcles him ... and the reason he had 90 tackles is because he gets thrown on alot... these arent running plays he is doing all the tackling on lol.. as i have said.. Ike and Townsend are good corners... but this shutdown corner stuff and the next woodson stuff is rediculous. I think the bias runs a little too deep sometimes...

stlrtruck
09-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Ike has even said it himself (especially this past off season) that he was going to work on catching the ball. Yeah that showed up last week. The up side is that he can only get better in catching the ball.

If he wants to be in the same league as Rod, he needs to work on his all around game. Woodson was the man in Pittsburgh (at least until Troy showed up) and his multiple pro-bowls is proof of that....never heard many people talking negative about Rod, even when he got beat!

83-Steelers-43
09-11-2006, 10:47 AM
For what it's worth, I don't believe many are expecting Ike to shutdown every ball thrown in his direction. That's just crazy. He is going to get beat. What I'm sort of shaking my head about is the fact that some feel Ike's inability to catch gift wrapped INT's is no big deal. Catching INT's comes with the territory at the CB position. Just because he's not a WR doesn't give him an automatic pass to drop catchable INT's.

We may find ourselves in a situation in the future when we need that big time INT in order to either ice a game or change the outcome of a game. He needs to work on that aspect of his game.

For the record, comparing Ike to Rod Woodson is laughable in my opinion.

If anything, while Ike looked good last season he still has this season to prove to me that he's worth his new contract.

floodcitygirl
09-11-2006, 11:14 AM
.and his knack for slipping on the wet turf. A lot of our guys had that problem that night. But, as much as I hate to say it, I did not see that many Fins slipping...........wonder why? Different cleats?If this was discussed alot over the weekend, please excuse me, I haven't seen it. I was wondering about this myself? It seemed to me to be a big issue. I wouldn't have thought that our guys would have had so much trouble on home turf. What WAS up with that???

BBC
09-11-2006, 05:05 PM
I love Ike for one reason, we are not getting beat deep anymore.

Really?

http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20051129wap_fbn_harrison_tdPJ_450.jpg

X-Terminator
09-12-2006, 12:00 AM
well i do watch the games very closely... and Ike is not a solide tackler, you must be referring to the part where after the catch the WR gets anotother 5 yards or so before Taylor actually takcles him ... and the reason he had 90 tackles is because he gets thrown on alot... these arent running plays he is doing all the tackling on lol.. as i have said.. Ike and Townsend are good corners... but this shutdown corner stuff and the next woodson stuff is rediculous. I think the bias runs a little too deep sometimes...

And I think this is the reason why he wasn't given the mega-contract he was thought to be seeking. I like Ike as much as the next person, but people need to understand that he isn't perfect, that he needs to be solid in ALL aspects of his game. I mean, he has the worst hands I've seen since Dwight Stone, and if anyone thinks that isn't a problem, then they need to think again. Interceptions are game-breakers and momentum-swingers, and his inability to catch even the easiest ball gives opponents extra chances. Personally, I think people heard Chad Johnson say that Ike covered him better than any corner he faced, and automatically proclaimed him the next Woodson. He has a way to go to get to that point.

HometownGal
09-12-2006, 07:35 AM
For what it's worth, I don't believe many are expecting Ike to shutdown every ball thrown in his direction. That's just crazy. He is going to get beat. What I'm sort of shaking my head about is the fact that some feel Ike's inability to catch gift wrapped INT's is no big deal. Catching INT's comes with the territory at the CB position. Just because he's not a WR doesn't give him an automatic pass to drop catchable INT's.

We may find ourselves in a situation in the future when we need that big time INT in order to either ice a game or change the outcome of a game. He needs to work on that aspect of his game.

For the record, comparing Ike to Rod Woodson is laughable in my opinion.

If anything, while Ike looked good last season he still has this season to prove to me that he's worth his new contract.

Very well stated, 83. Ike has got to work on not looking a gift horse in the mouth, so to speak, and catch those balls thrown his way. INTs can often be momentum swingers and game breakers. At this point, I cannot in good conscience even come close to a comparison between Ike and Woodson. While Ike is up and coming, he has a long way to go before he can be "Woodsonized".

Midnightwriter07
09-12-2006, 07:59 AM
umm a very long way to go !!

Rotorhead
09-12-2006, 10:27 AM
BBC - if you notice or just read the entire post I made, I stated that every team will get beat deep every now and again. It happens, but not as often to us as it used to. Considering that the photo you show is of the Colts very first play from scrimmage . . . look at the rest of the game and see how many time we got beat deep after that play . . . I thought so!

Midnightwriter07
09-12-2006, 12:22 PM
BBC - if you notice or just read the entire post I made, I stated that every team will get beat deep every now and again. It happens, but not as often to us as it used to. Considering that the photo you show is of the Colts very first play from scrimmage . . . look at the rest of the game and see how many time we got beat deep after that play . . . I thought so!

of course not, Dickie L learned that he needed help over the top so he didnt have man to man like that and start the games off with a bomb on the first play and we are down by 7

SteelerFanInCA
09-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Ike needs to learn how to close the deal on some of thoes potential picks. They could be the difference between a W or L in the standings column.

WV-SteelerFan
09-12-2006, 04:13 PM
The bottom line Ike Taylor is a talented young corner who is still growing as a player. With us resigning him we will get to see him grow with the Steelers instead of another teams uniform. Leave Ike alone he will be fine.

"...Made the transition from offense to the defensive backfield as a senior. Only played two seasons of collegiate football..."

No, he's not a "shut-down" corner, but I think sometimes people forget (that includes whoever told him he deserved a HUGE signing bonus) that he's not been a CB for very long...

FSUBoo
09-18-2006, 10:28 AM
While I will not stretch as fas as to say that Ike is on the level of a Champ Bailey, Chris McAlister, or DeAngelo Hall. I will say that he is better than the majority of the starting Corners in the league. I will also say that, coming from the small college that he came from, that he has far exceeded expectations in my opinion. He has performed better than his more well known college teamate, Charles Tillman. In college, Taylor never had to face top level talent, so there weren't many people who thought he would be a starting corner in the league. I think that if Taylor and Bryant McFadden continue to improve like they have, that Pittsburgh has a good chance of having one of the better starting CB tandems in the league. As far as my feelings on Taylor not catching the gift wrapped interceptions, I was always in the feeling that the fact that a corner doesn't generally have great hands. If they did, they would be playing reciever, and not covering them. I think that as time goes by, he will start to catch the interceptions that he has a shot at.