PDA

View Full Version : Quarterbacks

clevestinks
09-09-2006, 06:51 PM
I saw an interview the night before the opener. Adam S. was on Heinz Field speaking of how he feels the NFL now has more great QB`s then ever before. He even said that right now the NFL is so stacked with QB`s we will soon forget the class of 83`. I think he may be on to something here. Probably about 7-10 years ago I commented to someone how the league was so watered down, that good QB`s were few and far betweeen. Now we have Ben, Brady, Manning, Manning, Palmer, Culpper, Delhomme, etc. Not all gauranteed HOF`er but this is a talented bunch, and I`m missing name like Jake the Snake, and Bledsoe, McNAir, McNabb, and so on

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-09-2006, 08:02 PM
lets hope in a few years Ben is on the top of that list...........Yes, that would be nice, very nice indeed

boLT fan
09-09-2006, 08:04 PM
And if Philip Rivers and (somehow) JP Losman both pan out, 2003 could turn out to be one of the best first-round QB drafts.

MattsMe
09-09-2006, 10:31 PM
I think this explains it:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=951&Category=11

Black@Gold Forever32
09-10-2006, 12:24 AM
And if Philip Rivers and (somehow) JP Losman both pan out, 2003 could turn out to be one of the best first-round QB drafts.

Eli, Philip, Ben and JP were all first round picks in the 2004 draft not the 2003.

jaysta
09-10-2006, 12:29 AM
You're right there certainly are alot of quality QB's in the league right now. In fact, years ago you never even knew who the backups were for each team. Then the Redskins paid big bucks to get former starter Jeff Hostetler in as the backup QB and now it seems that every team seems to follow suit with former starters as the 2nd string guy.

tony hipchest
09-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Eli, Philip, Ben and JP were all first round picks in the 2004 draft not the 2003.hes just confused cause thats how long it seems since his qb has had an actual shot to see some action.:busted:

HometownGal
09-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Great topic, cleve. We do have a talented bunch of QBs out there nowadays, but as far as "great" QB's, I can only find one name in there at present that deserves that title - Brady. While I certainly feel Ben, Palmer, P. Manning and Delhomme are very good QBs, I don't put them on that "great" pedestal just yet - they're getting there though. :smile:

The QBs of the 70's and early 80's didn't have the benefit of all of the new QB rules instituted since their playing days, and the game since then has become much more QB friendly. Their greatness was achieved via a different style of game where the long ball was routine, many called their own games, and they took late hits on a regular basis. Unless it was flagrant, a personal foul against a QB was rarely called - they pretty much sucked it up and got ready for the next play. I think today because of the different style of game played, we are seeing a different style of QB and more diversity in the game all the way around, which can only benefit more QBs achieving greatness. :cool:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Great topic, cleve. We do have a talented bunch of QBs out there nowadays, but as far as "great" QB's, I can only find one name in there at present that deserves that title - Brady. While I certainly feel Ben, Palmer, P. Manning and Delhomme are very good QBs, I don't put them on that "great" pedestal just yet - they're getting there though. :smile:

The QBs of the 70's and early 80's didn't have the benefit of all of the new QB rules instituted since their playing days, and the game since then has become much more QB friendly. Their greatness was achieved via a different style of game where the long ball was routine, many called their own games, and they took late hits on a regular basis. Unless it was flagrant, a personal foul against a QB was rarely called - they pretty much sucked it up and got ready for the next play. I think today because of the different style of game played, we are seeing a different style of QB and more diversity in the game all the way around, which can only benefit more QBs achieving greatness. :cool:

All very solid points Hometown Gal. But its unfair to today's QB's to judge them by the rule changes over the years. Thats why its just so hard to compare different eras in not just football but all sports. I totally agree with you though that today's QB's have a much easier time to beef up their stats. Thats why most leaders in the career QB rating are QB's from the 1980's and on. You look at Johnny Unitas career QB rating and I think its around 79. Does that mean he wasn't a great QB. Hell no it doesn't. To me Johnny U is the best QB ever. I would take him over any QB. The NFL is what it is today thanks to players like Johnny U.

As for the great QB of today topic. I see 3 QB's right now as first ballot Hall of Famers. The three Tom Brady, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning. So I would say there are 3 great QB's currently. Now there is plenty of QB's that have the potential for the Hall of Fame. With Ben Roethlisberger and Carson Palmer heading the list. But I see D. McNabb, Eli Manning with real good chances as well. Now if you look at Drew Bledsoe's career stats and they are impressive. He might have a case as well.

But very good post and I really enjoyed that.

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Bradshaw, Staubach, Tarkenton, Stabler,Fouts,Griese,Namath,Dawson.