PDA

View Full Version : Penn State Football

Suitanim
04-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Will be my alma mater Akron Zips. I went to their Spring Game today, so here's a little scouting report for all you PSU fans.

First off, this is a team that has a surprising amount of depth (which is usually the killer when mid-majors try to compete with the big conferences). They've had the best recruiting class in the MAC the last two years, and Rivals has rated their recent class as higher than several Big 10 teams. They have some big school talent at some positions...for example, they have a 315lb DL who originally selected Miami U, and decided to go to Rutgers instead. He was a top 10 HS recruit a couple years ago. Luke Getsy was Pitt's QB but didn't want to play second fiddle to Palko, so he jumped ship with Brookhart. Their starting RB was an OSU signing who changed his mind. They have 10 Frosh from Florida, and stole a bunch talent from the state of Virginia as well.

Their defense improved dramatically from '04-'05, going from something like 115th to 27th in total D1-A defense, and it should be even better this year with the upgrades from good recruiting. They have 4 quality CB's, and they rotate all of them in and out. All this being said, their offense hung 31 on them in the Spring game, which brings me to the teams strength.

Akron will have an explosive offense this year, and will hang some points on Penn State. They return their entire OL from last years MAC champion team, as well as Getsy who set 17 school records last year (many of those records just recently set by Charlie Frye). Dennis Kennedy is a shifty back (The OSU recruit) with speed and power, and they have an excellent TE in Kris Kasparek (6'6" 260 and super soft hands), and a bunch of young stud WR's from all over the country. Jabari Arthur is their go to WR, and at 6'4" 224, he'll be a handful for any DB he faces.

I have no idea what their special teams will be like, since their PK, P, and PR and KR all departed last year.

All in all, if PSU decides to take the day off, the Zips will hang with them and give them a game. Although they are an improving team, and extremely well coached, Akro isn't ready to knock off a top tier team like PSU just yet, but I have a feeling NC State (Game #2 on the Zips schedule) may wish they wouldn't have schedule this game by time it's over.

BB2W
04-15-2006, 04:44 PM
You know I'm lookin forward to it... One thing Akron will have going for them is it will be quarterback Anthony Morelli's first career start. There will also be four new faces in the secondary, but one of them will be high school All-American Justin King.

Suitanim
04-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Akron WILL light up that secondary. Getsy will probably throw close to 60 passes in the game, and there is real talent at the WR position for Akron.

SteelCityMan786
04-15-2006, 09:49 PM
The Defense However will still be a challenge. Pouz is back and is a born leader. He Will take control and help fire up his fellow defensive players and will give Getsy a hard time if he gets out of rhythm. The Offense might be a problem to handle if Morreli is getting good protection from the O Line and doesn't make too many mistakes. Well this is what I draw from it. Gonna have to wait 1 more week to get a good look at Penn State at their Blue White Game.

Suitanim
04-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Let me put this in perspective. In 2004, the Zips lost 48-10 in Happy Valley...I'm think the score will be more like 35-24 this time around.

Stlrs4Life
04-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Akron WILL light up that secondary. Getsy will probably throw close to 60 passes in the game, and there is real talent at the WR position for Akron.

Our LBs will be all over Getsy.

Suitanim
04-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Good...that's exactly what the West Coast Offense JD Brookhart runs is designed to beat.

BB2W
04-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Our LBs will be all over Getsy.
The new trio in the Big Ten...

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/psuKinger/ShawConnorPosluzny.jpg

SteelCityMan786
04-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Let me put this in perspective. In 2004, the Zips lost 48-10 in Happy Valley...I'm think the score will be more like 35-24 this time around.

Very True. I am sure Penn State is definantly gonna win the one. But by a much closer score. Morelli will be starting his 1st game and he is gonna go through some growing pains. This is a good challenge for Penn State because the next week they have Notre Dame. And It will be good to have a challenge under our belt before heading to South Bend.

Stlrs4Life
04-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Good...that's exactly what the West Coast Offense JD Brookhart runs is designed to beat.

Defeat what? When your QB is on his back all the time? We'll make Getsy look like Tommy Maddox.:sofunny:

Suitanim
04-18-2006, 07:53 AM
The whole WCO is based on short drops, so, no, Getsy will not be on his back all day.

If PSU is overconfidant and takes this game too lightly, they could find themselves on the wrong end of an upset. It was only a few years ago that Toledo rolled into Beaver stadium and embarrased PSU 24-6 on national television.

SteelerzGirl
04-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Are you planning on coming to Happy Valley for this game, Suit?

Suitanim
04-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Are you planning on coming to Happy Valley for this game, Suit?
Probably not, since OSU is playing NIU that day, but I may jump a charter bus...

Stlrs4Life
04-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Toledo is bigger than Akron. I remember when Akron played YSU every year back in the day, it was a pretty good rivalry there for awhile. PSU plays YSU this year also. 2007 YSU plays OSU, and that will be the upset of the century.

Suitanim
04-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Akron won the MAC Championship last year, has had the best recruiting class in the MAC 2 years in a row, and will be significantly improved in '06 over '05, so I'm not sure what "bigger" means.

Also, OSU does not play YSU next year...I don't think the Buckeyes have played a 1-AA school in 25 years. But you are correct about PSU playing them.

2007 Schedule
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game Date Opponent Time/Results
September 1 Syracuse TBA
September 8 Akron TBA
September 15 at Washington TBA
September 22 Northwestern TBA
September 29 at Minnesota TBA
October 6 at Purdue TBA
October 20 Michigan State TBA
October 27 at Penn State TBA
November 3 Wisconsin TBA
November 10 Illinois TBA
November 17 at Michigan TBA

BB2W
06-04-2006, 10:29 AM
If they keep the 3:30 kickoff time it looks like the game will be telivised on ESPN 2... :cool:

link: http://mattsarz44017.tripod.com/2006/week1.html

SuperBowlChamps
07-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Tickets went on sale to the general public today for Penn State games...I was interested in going to the Penn State/Michigan game but they are sold out?!? I was so unhappy. I think they were sold out before they even went on sale as I noticed yesterday that the status was set as sold out. Does anyone know where I could get tickets for this game for FACE VALUE or am I totally SOL....?

lilyoder6
07-07-2006, 09:13 PM
i'm goin to happy valley for evry home game this year..

Lyn
07-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Tickets went on sale to the general public today for Penn State games...I was interested in going to the Penn State/Michigan game but they are sold out?!? I was so unhappy. I think they were sold out before they even went on sale as I noticed yesterday that the status was set as sold out. Does anyone know where I could get tickets for this game for FACE VALUE or am I totally SOL....?

When and Where is it? Alot of UM fans around here I can try for you (I a not an UM fan I am a Michigan State fan)

Lyn
07-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Ah I see it is the last game and it is at the big house. Typically, they play MSU as the last game of the season I wonder why that changed. When George Perles was coach of Michigan State, he is the one who lobbied (for lack of a better word) to have PSU become part of the Big Ten, the game was to be played the last game of the season and whomever wins the game wins the Land Grant Trophy for that year. Oh well :) I will see if I can get you some tix. how much are you willing to pay?

SuperBowlChamps
07-07-2006, 11:40 PM
No I don't think it's on the last game of the season. According to their schedule from their official site they play U of M on the 14th of October...That earlier post I think was for the 2007 season (1 year away). Here's the full schedule from the site.

2006 PENN STATE NITTANY LION FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Saturday, September 2 Akron Home
Saturday, September 9 Notre Dame Away
Saturday, September 16 Youngstown State Home
Saturday, September 23 Ohio State Away
Saturday, September 30 Northwestern Home
Saturday, October 7 Minnesota Away
Saturday, October 14 Michigan Home
Saturday, October 21 Illinois Home
Saturday, October 28 Purdue Away
Saturday, November 4 Wisconsin Away
Saturday, November 11 Temple Home
Saturday, November 18 Michigan State Home

That'd be sweet if you can get tickets somehow. I would probably need at least 2...and I was hoping to pay like face value if that is at all possible...maybe a little more...so like between 55 and 70 a piece possibly? Let me know what you think.

blackngoldbaby
07-09-2006, 06:24 PM
No I don't think it's on the last game of the season. According to their schedule from their official site they play U of M on the 14th of October...That earlier post I think was for the 2007 season (1 year away). Here's the full schedule from the site.

2006 PENN STATE NITTANY LION FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Saturday, September 2 Akron Home
Saturday, September 9 Notre Dame Away
Saturday, September 16 Youngstown State Home
Saturday, September 23 Ohio State Away
Saturday, September 30 Northwestern Home
Saturday, October 7 Minnesota Away
Saturday, October 14 Michigan Home
Saturday, October 21 Illinois Home
Saturday, October 28 Purdue Away
Saturday, November 4 Wisconsin Away
Saturday, November 11 Temple Home
Saturday, November 18 Michigan State Home

That'd be sweet if you can get tickets somehow. I would probably need at least 2...and I was hoping to pay like face value if that is at all possible...maybe a little more...so like between 55 and 70 a piece possibly? Let me know what you think.
thanks for the schedual im a big penn state fan and i was lookin for the scedual so thanks!:bouncy:

SuperBowlChamps
07-10-2006, 05:47 AM
No problem!

Does anyone have any tickets or information on how I can get tickets to the Michigan game? (Besides eBay?)

Jeremy
07-11-2006, 12:00 AM
ebay is probably your best bet.

You could also head out to State College and walk around the tailgating area and see if anyone is selling tickets. Sometimes fans will be selling their tickets before the game.

But considering we'll be undefeated, you might have a hard time.

SuperBowlChamps
07-12-2006, 05:32 PM
LoL I know right? Damn...it's a prime time game too. Should be a good one.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to watch it on the 50" LCD I just bought...darn :cool:

bcolton82
07-13-2006, 11:58 AM

Dood, you're better off watching it on TV. I go to almost every PSU game, if for no other reason than to get drunk, and there's no way in hell you're gonna find Michigan tix for close to face value, unless you find somebody who still has a ticket when the third quarter rolls around. Then you might pay $75 for it. Don't get me wrong, you can get tickets, but not at face value for Michigan...no matter what the records are!

But, i have an offer for you....trade me your new big screen TV, & i'll give you my 2 tix at the 50 yard line!!!

CowherLover
07-13-2006, 02:28 PM
ebay is probably your best bet.

You could also head out to State College and walk around the tailgating area and see if anyone is selling tickets. Sometimes fans will be selling their tickets before the game.

Sorry Toots, you'll have at least one hash in the loss column. You're playing at the Shoe this year anf by the time we play you our D will have gotten its chemistry together. Not to mention our offense is gonna light your guys up! :poke:

bcolton82
07-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Akron won the MAC Championship last year, has had the best recruiting class in the MAC 2 years in a row, and will be significantly improved in '06 over '05, so I'm not sure what "bigger" means.

Also, OSU does not play YSU next year...I don't think the Buckeyes have played a 1-AA school in 25 years. But you are correct about PSU playing them.

2007 Schedule
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game Date Opponent Time/Results
September 1 Syracuse TBA
September 8 Akron TBA
September 15 at Washington TBA
September 22 Northwestern TBA
September 29 at Minnesota TBA
October 6 at Purdue TBA
October 20 Michigan State TBA
October 27 at Penn State TBA
November 3 Wisconsin TBA
November 10 Illinois TBA
November 17 at Michigan TBA

This schedule is terribly inaccurate

We play Notre Dame at home in 2007, and we always play Michigan State last

*sorry, thought you were saying this was PSU's schedule....

Jeremy
07-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Sorry Toots, you'll have at least one hash in the loss column. You're playing at the Shoe this year anf by the time we play you our D will have gotten its chemistry together. Not to mention our offense is gonna light your guys up! :poke:

Like you did last year?

SuperBowlChamps
07-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Like you did last year?

Oooooohhhh!! He got you there! :cool:

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!

CowherLover
07-13-2006, 06:45 PM
our offense is in far better shape, thank god! It's gonna be a good game for sure.

Jeremy
07-13-2006, 07:18 PM
PSU stinks at The Shoe. The team hasn't won a game there since joining the Big 11. So if AM, King, Williams, and Compnay can pull it off, it will make a little bit of history.

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2006, 09:05 PM

I think Medlar Field At Lubrano Park(Located on the south end of Beaver Stadium) Will be open on saturdays for those who can't get in the game. They'll be able to watch the game on the video board.

Predicting the schedule(And Why)
September 2nd Akron W(The Zips will have a little trouble with the PSU D. Hali And Rice Might be gone this will be the same ol PSU team that played last year lead by Pouz and co. They win it though by a close margin)
September 9th @ Notre Dame W(Notre Dame does NOT have A Defense. Brady Quinn has never seen a PSU Like D from the games I saw last year. OSU is probably closest)
September 16th Youngstown State(No Brainer they don't lose to I-AA teams)
September 23rd @ Ohio State W(Ohio State will be tough, but I think Penn State gets a major upset. Call This SCM's Upset special)
September 30th Northwestern W(It's going to take awhile for them awhile to adjust to Fitzgerald's style of coaching)
October 7th @ Minnesota W (Barber, Cuputo at last check are gone. Barber is for sure)
October 14th Michigan W (Penn State doesn't lose under the night light at Beaver Stadium)
October 21st Illinois W (The Illini Well SUCK)
October 28th @ Purdue (Purdue is going to have problems against Penn State Home and away from home)
November 4th @ Wisconsin W (Everyone is gone, a new coach will cause this to probably be a rebuilding/adjusting year)
November 11th Temple W (Hmmmmmmm Temple well SUCKS)
November 18th Michigan State W(Welcome to losing streak against PSU extension Michigan State, The Land Grant is as good as Penn State's)

Games To Watch
Ohio State-They have not won in the horseshoe for awhile, interesting match up to
Notre Dame-The O can really get ready to rule for the Big Ten with a win here
Michigan-The Wolverines will have major trouble with Penn State. That 12th man that backs the team will help get in Lloyd Carr's Team's mind)

SuperBowlChamps
07-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Hmmm that's interesting. Maybe I'll go down. I don't know though I'll probably just end up watching it here at home on the big screen. I'd rather be inside the stadium...especially since it appears to be a prime time game.

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Hmmm that's interesting. Maybe I'll go down. I don't know though I'll probably just end up watching it here at home on the big screen. I'd rather be inside the stadium...especially since it appears to be a prime time game.

I'm not sure if it's TRUE though. So I recommend checking out statecollegespikes.com But I hope they do that. Every Ticket is almost sold out.
http://www.gopsusports.com/pressreleases/pressrelease.cfm?anncid=10454

bcolton82
07-14-2006, 09:48 AM
I think Medlar Field At Lubrano Park(Located on the south end of Beaver Stadium) Will be open on saturdays for those who can't get in the game. They'll be able to watch the game on the video board.

Sounds like inside information....I highly doubt that's true

BUCKEYE4EVER
07-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Does anyone have any tickets or information on how I can get tickets to the Michigan game? (Besides eBay?)

I wouldn't worry about being undefeated at the scUM game because you will already have 2 losses ND beats you in a close one and you'll get as Brent Musberger likes to say" A GOOD OLD BUCKEYE BUTT KICKIN "

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 11:18 AM
2001: Penn State 29 Ohio State 27
2002: Penn State 7 Ohio State 13
2003: Penn State 20 Ohio State 21
2004: Penn State 10 Ohio State 21
2005: Penn State 17 Ohio State 10

5 year record Penn State 2-3 against Ohio State.

Average score of those games Penn State 16 Ohio State 18

So what's the moral of the story? If you don't know what you're talking about, keep your mouth shut.

SuperBowlChamps
07-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Ooooooh snap...

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 07:51 PM
I was hoping he'd come back and run his mouth some more.

SteelCityMan786
07-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Sounds like inside information....I highly doubt that's true

I said I'm not sure if it's true though, I thought I heard somewhere that they were going to do that. I didn't hear any sort of an offical word. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

SuperBowlChamps
07-15-2006, 12:18 AM
I said I'm not sure if it's true though, I thought I heard somewhere that they were going to do that. I didn't hear any sort of an offical word. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Thanks, good deal. Like I said I may check it out or something. That would be a pretty sweet tailgate down there before the big game anyway. And I bet ESPN is going to cover it more than likely too. (Lee Corso, Kirk Hirbstreit) :thmbup:

SteelCityMan786
07-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks, good deal. Like I said I may check it out or something. That would be a pretty sweet tailgate down there before the big game anyway. And I bet ESPN is going to cover it more than likely too. (Lee Corso, Kirk Hirbstreit) :thmbup:

It would be a good deal. Now we have to sit and wait to make sure it's actual fact. anyways that shouldn't hold us from enjoying the new year of PENN STATE NITTANY LION FOOTBALL!!!

Froggy
08-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Anyone else besides me excited for the opener against Akron?

BlackNGold203
08-31-2006, 08:53 AM
Akron??

At Happy Valley i assume....

sounds like more of a scrimmage.....:cool: :cool:

Froggy
08-31-2006, 12:04 PM
They go to South Bend to play Notre Dame on the 9th.

SteelCityMan786
09-02-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm ready for the opener. Here I come University Park and Beaver Stadium

Lyn
09-02-2006, 09:22 AM
They go to South Bend to play Notre Dame on the 9th.

I predict Notre Dame will lose that game

Jeremy
09-02-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm fired up. Even more so after Mark May predicted an Akron win.

SteelCityMan786
09-02-2006, 10:09 AM

How pathetic of him.

silver & black
09-02-2006, 11:07 AM
I predict Notre Dame will lose that game

Come on... they have Brady Quinn... the second coming!

BlackNGold203
09-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Mass central PA suicides if the Zips win....LMAO.....

Jeremy
09-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Mass central PA suicides if the Zips win....LMAO.....

Same thing could be said if Notre Dame loses to Tech tonight.

Ambridge
09-02-2006, 06:00 PM

I thought Mark May was a little smarter than that.
Penn State Zaps the Zips 34-16.
PSU should have won by a larger margin but missed a couple scoring opportunities.

Kill the Irish next week.

Jeremy
09-02-2006, 06:35 PM
New quaterback, 4 new offensive lineman, and 7 new starters on defense.

I thought all in all we looked pretty good for all those changes.

MasterOfPuppets
09-09-2006, 04:42 PM
PENN STATE SUCKS!!!! they just cost me $50 for thier impressive performance against ND.

SteelCityMan786
09-10-2006, 02:18 PM
All Penn State Football news goes here.

Ohio Steeler
09-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Penn St got there ass's handed to them thats all I can say about that game

Ohio Steeler
09-16-2006, 09:58 PM
No. 25 Penn State beats up on I-AA Youngstown State

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Tony Hunt beat Youngstown State with his legs. It showed on his nose.

Hunt had a touchdown and 143 of Penn State's 389 rushing yards and A.J. Wallace scored on a 76-yard reverse as the 25th-ranked Nittany Lions bullied Division I-AA Youngstown State 37-3 on Saturday.

Hunt was the biggest beneficiary of the ground game, and the senior tailback sported a bandage across the bridge of his nose after getting cut from his helmet.

"The line is coming together really well," Hunt said. "I expect them to get better every week."

Rodney Kinlaw added 86 yards and Derrick Williams had 59 yards and a score for the Nittany Lions (2-1).

There were early struggles on offense and a few mistakes again on special teams, though coach Joe Paterno's squad got a confidence-boosting win heading into next week's showdown at top-ranked Ohio State.

"We were a little erratic in some things that we have to improve on," Paterno said. "But I think overall we made some progress. We are certainly not good enough yet."

Still, Penn State was too big and fast for the Penguins (2-1) for much of the afternoon. The Lions had 568 yards of total offense, and held Youngstown State to 184, including just 41 in the first half.

"Nobody likes to lose. We didn't come here to lose," Penguins coach Jon Hea**** said. "That stinks, that feeling doesn't feel very good."

The game was scoreless midway through the second quarter when Penn State's offense took off after Wallace took the reverse handoff. He eluded the grasp of one tackler, got a nice block from wideout Deon Butler inside the 5 before dashing past the goal line and pointing to fans in the end zone to give Penn State a 10-0 lead.

Derrick Bush recovered a fumble by Monquantae Gibson to save a turnover on Youngstown State's next drive, but safety Anthony Scirrotto had a 28-yard interception on the next play after Penguins quarterback Tom Zetts was chased out of the pocket by linebacker Paul Posluszny.

Hunt turned a screen into a 16-yard gain on the ensuing drive, and the tailback scored two plays later on a draw from 12 yards out to extend Penn State's lead to 17-0.

Linebacker Dan Connor said the win helped erase the sting of blowout loss to Notre Dame two weeks ago.

"That helps out, getting all 11 guys on defense and all 11 guys on offense making big plays, big runs," Connor said.

About the only area in which the Lions didn't dominate was special teams. A long kickoff return by Williams was called back because of an illegal block penalty. Kicker Kevin Kelly had three field goals, including one from 49 yards, but missed on three others.

There was a smattering of boos and loud sighs from blue-and-white clad fans after Kelly missed a 31-yarder in a scoreless first quarter. A small contingent of Penguin fans made the trip down Interstate 80 from Ohio.

"We had the mindset that we had to work hard," said Connor, who finished with five tackles. "We didn't play the perfect game and we need to improve on a lot of areas."

Penn State led 20-0 at halftime after the TD runs by Wallace and Hunt. Youngstown State was held to 41 yards offense in the half, including minus-2 rushing, and just three first downs.

The Penguins found a little more success after opening the second half with a 14-play, 64-yard drive highlighted by quick, short passes and runs by Zetts. Brian Palmer kicked a 33-yard field goal for the Penguins' only score.

"I think that our guys know that they hung in there and fought until the very and I'm proud of that," Hea**** said.

Zetts finished 12-of-20 for 95 yards and one interception. Penn State's Anthony Morelli looked good early but wasn't sharp late, finishing 11-for-27 for 154 yards.

Youngstown State's leading rusher, Marcus Mason, didn't play because of a sore hamstring, though Hea**** said he was available. Mason had run for 208 yards and four touchdowns in the Penguins' first two games.

The Penguins' leading tackler, linebacker Jeremiah Wright, hurt his right knee in early in the first quarter and did not return.

Penn State added Youngstown State to the schedule after Louisiana Tech backed out late last year because of a scheduling conflict in the Western Athletic Conference

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=262590213

SteelCityMan786
09-16-2006, 10:15 PM
I think this kind of a game was just what Penn State needed. After being beaten like crazy This I believe will help boost their confidence. Just hopefully they refocus enough they can have a chance against Ohio State.

BlackNGold203
09-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Lets see....

Notre Dame destroys Penn State....

Michigan destroys Notre Dame....

What chance can Penn State have against Michigan or Ohio State???

Ohio Steeler
09-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Lets see....

It does not look good for them at all however the games still have to be played and anything can happen

SteelCityMan786
09-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Lets see....

Penn State has a MUCH better chance against Michigan since that game will be at home. Beaver Stadium is one of the, if not the absolute toughest place to play at. The crowd will be into it. And I think Penn State will be ready to play to get payback on a game that they should have won. But hey, can't live in the past. Got to move on. Also as I have said before, still a lot of Football to be played. I wonder how Penn State plays against Ohio State next week at the Horseshoe.

BlackNGold203
09-16-2006, 10:30 PM
UH...Michigan just ran up 47 points AT Notre Dame....another difficult place to play

SteelCityMan786
09-16-2006, 10:36 PM
UH...Michigan just ran up 47 points AT Notre Dame....another difficult place to play

That I won't argue with either. In my opinion. Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Notre Dame are THE Toughest places to play at as far as I can see. Florida State, a couple other schools are on the rise. Otherwise I can't tell. We'll have to see how things go here on out.

SteelCityMan786
09-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Time for the Nittany Lions and the Buckeyes.

LET'S GO STATE!

Prosdo
09-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Let's Go PSU!!!

lilyoder6
09-23-2006, 02:23 PM
paul p gonna have a great game..

WE ARE

PENN STATE

Haiku_Dirtt
09-24-2006, 06:24 AM
Clueless is what I am when I think of the future of the Penn State program. Not unlike the wonder of who replaces Cowher until a guy like Whiz stands out.

So does anyone know who is going to be the next head coach at Penn State? How can Paterno justify another season? He's coached there longer than I've been alive.

But aside from that the Penn State offense lacks imagination.

The Robinson factor is looking more and more like the Vince Young factor which means a half-ass offensive system can hide behind a guy who can shake it up. But preying on a highly-depleted defensive squad in a big game is not the standard. Listening Mack Brown?

The Buckeye defense is deep but very young. But the Penn State defense gave that team a chance to win. And somewhere on this planet there is a guy that could have done far better with the players on offense.

That defense today deserved better. Jerry Jones did the unthinkable with Tom Landry. What are Nittany Lion fans waiting for anyway?

Btrice
09-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Personally I am not going to shed a tear when Paterno leaves. Sure he was a good coach and a "legend" but he needs to give up the reigns, and more than just through delagation of responsibility. Maybe its just that I don't put guys like that on pedastals, or maybe he rubbed me the wrong way when he almost hit me with his car my junior year then yelled at me like it was MY fault. Despite going to school there its hard for me to get behind a team that is so inconsistent year to year. I'd almost rather they completely suck all the time than this up and down stuff.

SteelCityMan786
10-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Varmit hunting today. LET'S GO PENN STATE!

SteelCityMan786
10-07-2006, 02:33 PM
WOOO HOOO! 4-2!!!!! PENN STATE 28, MINNESOTA 27 IN OVERTIME!!!!!!!

Good game Minnesota. You should not be discouraged by this effort.

SteelCityMan786
10-21-2006, 07:33 PM
A little something on Today's Good Faught 26-12 Penn State win

Offense:Penn State needs to get better with. Morelli wasn't playing his best. Our O Line needs to step it up. Even though it did do well in the clutch at the end as they got a drive going that Penn State took the lead, and never gave it back.

Defense:Clicked on ALL Cylinders after a rough 1st quarter not to mention also a run that set up just a Field Goal. Poz was having a big day. Anthony Scirrotto had one heck of a day with 2 INT's and Kick return for a Touchdown. That Safety at the end of the game was in my opinon was what sealed the deal

Special teams:Played very well today. Kapinos had some great punts that pretty much stopped Illinois drives before they even got started. Kevin Kelly had a good kick at the beginning of the game, the one kick he tried I think he had a little hard time with the wind

Overall:A good game despite a couple mistakes. In the 2nd half Penn State looked like well, Penn State. Morelli still has work to do, but I think he'll get better next week against Purdue.

Jeremy
11-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Doctor's orders (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/11/08/paterno.cantcoach.ap/index.html)

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Doesn't surprise me. It's a better safe then sorry move.

SteelCityMan786
11-11-2006, 10:29 AM
WHO GIVES A HOOT ABOUT TEMPLE? I DON'T.

Let's Go State!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-16-2006, 03:20 PM
One more at Beaver Stadium Saturday. Outback Bowl Birth on the line

WE ARE PENN STATE!

SteelCityMan786
11-18-2006, 01:02 PM
This has been a BLAH! 13-7 MSU just makes me sick. in the 3rd though maybe something will happen.

SteelCityMan786
11-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Not a bad bowl to back up 2005.
http://www.outbackbowl.com/pressbox/release.html?release=120

November 21, 2006

Penn State Headed to Tampa For Outback Bowl

Tampa, FL -- Penn State University accepted an invitation today to play in the Outback Bowl on New Year's Day in Tampa, Florida. The Nittany Lions will play an SEC team to be determined on December 3rd.

?We are thrilled to have Joe Paterno?s Nittany Lions as our Big Ten representative in the 2007 Outback Bowl,? stated Jim McVay, Outback Bowl President /CEO. ?The Nittany Lions are a terrific team with outstanding players, coaches and enthusiastic fans. We feel they will be an excellent team to face off against a highly ranked SEC opponent.?

?This is a great opportunity to host the Penn State team and fans in our community,? noted bowl Team Selection Committee Chairman Mike Sugar. ?The players and fans can look forward to having a wonderful time in the Tampa, St Petersburg/Clearwater area as we roll-out the red carpet for them.?

?We are looking forward to playing in the Outback Bowl and meeting a very good team from the Southeastern Conference,? stated Paterno, who is in his 41st season as head coach and has an overall mark of 362-121-3 (74.8). ?This team has worked hard all season and has been a great group to work with. I?m happy for the squad that their efforts will be rewarded with an opportunity to go to Tampa, where we have had some wonderful experiences, and be involved in a good, tough game.?

"We're delighted to have the opportunity to return to the Outback Bowl,? said Tim Curley, Director of Athletics. ?Everyone from Penn State has had wonderful experiences during our previous trips to the Tampa Bay area. The hospitality extended to our team and fans has always been outstanding. We?re excited about returning to Tampa and another chance for our loyal and enthusiastic fans to support the 2006 team one more time.?

This will be Penn State's third appearance in the bowl game where they are 2-0, notching a 31-14 win again Auburn in 1996 and a 26-14 win over Kentucky in the January 1999 game.

The Outback Bowl is celebrating its 21st year and will kickoff at 11 A.M. (ET) on January 1st in Raymond James Stadium. The game is telecast internationally on ESPN TV. Tickets to the Outback Bowl are $60 each and are available at Ticketmaster outlets throughout Florida, via phone at (813) 287-8844 and online at www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets will also be available online through the Penn State ticket office by going to www.GoPSUsports.com. Information on the Outback Bowl game, bowl events, area hotels and the Tampa, St Petersburg, Clearwater area can be found on the bowl's web site at www.outbackbowl.com.

Jeremy
11-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Auburn is looking like our opponent with a possibilty of LSU.

SteelCityMan786
11-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Auburn is looking like our opponent with a possibilty of LSU.

They had a poll on the website and a lot of people want to see Tennessee.

Jeremy
11-24-2006, 11:52 AM
There are three possibles depending on how this week's games shake out.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 10:08 PM
http://http://postgazette.com/pg/06326/740365-143.stm

Posluszny, Scirrotto all-Big Ten selections
Six Penn State players land on second team

Wednesday, November 22, 2006
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Senior linebacker Paul Posluszny and sophomore safety Anthony Scirrotto were among eight Penn State players to receive all-Big Ten honors yesterday.

Posluszny and Scirrotto were the only Nittany Lions named first-team all-Big Ten. Posluszny, a graduate of Hopewell High School, earned first-team honors from the coaches and the media for the second consecutive season. Scirrotto, a first-year starter from West Deptford, N.J., was chosen first team by the media and earned honorable mention recognition from the coaches.

Senior defensive tackle Jay Alford, senior offensive tackle Levi Brown, junior linebacker Dan Connor, senior running back Tony Hunt, sophomore cornerback Justin King and senior punter Jeremy Kapinos were named to the second team.

Sophomore receiver Deon Butler, senior defensive tackle Ed Johnson, senior defensive end Tim Shaw and sophomore center A.Q. Shipley were honorable mention.

Posluszny is the sixth Penn State player to earn Big Ten honors three consecutive seasons joining Courtney Brown, Bobby Engram, Jeff Hartings, Brian Miller and Alan Zemaitis.

Scirrotto tied for the Big Ten lead in interceptions with five and made 50 tackles.

Several Penn State and West Virginia players are up for postseason awards.

Posluszny and Connor are two of three finalists for the Chuck Bednarik Award, which is presented to the nation's top defensive player. Posluszny won the award last season. The other finalist is Michigan defensive end LaMarr Woodley.

Kapinos is a finalist for the Ray Guy Award. The other finalists are Durant Brooks of Georgia Tech and Daniel Sepulveda of Baylor.

Mountaineers senior center Dan Mozes, a graduate of Washington High School, is a finalist for the Outland Trophy, presented to the nation's top interior lineman. Sophomore running back Steve Slaton is a finalist for the Doak Walker Award. Darren McFadden of Arkansas and Mike Hart of Michigan are the other finalists.

The winners will be announced during the Home Depot College Football Awards Show Dec. 7 on ESPN.

Posluszny, the 2005 Butkus Award winner, was named as one of three finalists for that award, earlier this month.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 10:10 PM
http://postgazette.com/pg/06326/740363-143.stm

Paterno expected to be at Outback Bowl game
PSU coach should be able to travel by then

Wednesday, November 22, 2006
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penn State has accepted an invitation to play in the Jan. 1 Outback Bowl in Tampa, Fla., and school officials said yesterday that they expect Nittany Lions coach Joe Paterno to be with the team for the entire week.

Penn State athletic director Tim Curley said Paterno is doing well in his recovery from a fractured leg and surgically repaired knee, and he expected him to travel with the team when it leaves, which is likely to be Dec. 23 or 24.

"Right now, we're not anticipating any problems," Curley said. "He's working his way back with his rehabilitation. We'll have to see where he's at. But right now, we're not anticipating any problems."

Paterno has not spoken with reporters since his injury Nov. 4. He issued a statement through the sports information department last night about the Outback Bowl.

"We're looking forward to playing in the Outback Bowl and meeting a very good team from the Southeastern Conference," he said. "This team has worked hard all season and has been a great group to work with. I'm happy for the squad that their efforts will be rewarded with an opportunity to go to Tampa, where we have had some wonderful experiences, and be involved in a good, tough game."

This will be Paterno's 33rd bowl game. He is 21-10-1 and 15-6 in games on New Year's Day.

The Lions will play a team from the SEC, but the opponent likely will not be known until the Bowl Championship Series teams are announced Dec. 3. Outback officials said five teams -- Florida, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU and Tennessee -- are under consideration. The winner of the Florida-Arkansas SEC title game will be in the BCS. The Capital One Bowl has the next pick, then the Outback Bowl.

The game will kick off at 11 a.m. from Raymond James Stadium and will be televised by ESPN.

This will be Penn State's third Outback Bowl game. The Lions beat Auburn in 1996 and Kentucky in 1999.

"Penn State is an exceptional choice," Outback president Jim McVay said. "It is a very visible, tradition-rich program. There are Penn State alumni all over Florida. It's one of the elite college football programs in the country. Plus, you have Joe Paterno bringing that special aura that only coach Paterno has."

Fans interested in applying for tickets should access www.gopsusports.com. Information on the Outback Bowl can be found at www.outbackbowl.com.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 10:52 PM
http://altoonamirror.com/PennState/PSarticles.asp?articleID=6877

Honors start pouring in: Big Ten releases list of this year's all-star players

By Cory Giger,cgiger@altoonamirror.com

UNIVERSITY PARK — Penn State will take two first-team all-conference selections, two Bednarik Award finalists and one of the top three punters in the country to the Outback Bowl in Tampa, Fla., on Jan. 1.

The Nittany Lions accepted their official bowl invitation Tuesday. The Outback Bowl will be Penn State’s third New Year’s Day game in five seasons, following the Capital One Bowl in 2003 and last year’s Orange Bowl.

‘‘We’ve had the opportunity twice before to play in this great ballgame ... [and] we’re really excited about coming down for our third time,’’ PSU athletic director Tim Curley said of the Outback Bowl.

‘‘[Penn State] is one of the elite college football programs in the country,’’ Outback Bowl president and CEO Jim McVay said. ‘‘We bring them to Florida, we bring them to a New Year’s Day game ... it means a lot to the local college football fans.’’

The Lions are 2-0 in Outback Bowls, beating Kentucky in 1999, 26-14, and Auburn in 1996, 43-14. The program is going to a bowl game in consecutive years for the first time since the 1998 and ’99 seasons.

‘‘We are looking forward to playing in the Outback Bowl and meeting a very good team from the Southeastern Conference,’’ PSU coach Joe Paterno said in a university statement. ‘‘This team has worked hard all season and has been a great group to work with.’’

The Outback opponent figures to be a ranked team that will give the Lions (8-4) one more chance to earn the signature win that’s eluded them so far. The top possibilities are: No. 9 LSU (9-2), No. 14 Auburn (10-2) and No. 19 Tennessee (8-3).

The opponent won’t be known until Dec. 3, after the SEC championship game between No. 4 Florida and No. 5 Arkansas. There’s a chance one of those two teams could be PSU’s opponent, if one loses its final two games.

‘‘It’s a real up-in-the-air situation still at this point, and we have to wait our turn in the pecking order, so to speak,’’ said Steve Schember, chairman of the Outback Bowl committee. ‘‘There are a lot of games still to be played, so we’ve just got to kind of wait and see who’s there for us before we can even begin to start looking at our choices.’’

Curley said he expects Paterno, who’s recovering from leg surgery, to travel with the team for the start of bowl practice in Tampa. The university has yet to finalize travel plans, but the team is expected to leave for Florida at least a few days prior to Christmas.

‘‘I talked to him [Tuesday] morning, and everything’s going well, his rehab’s going well,’’ Curley said of Paterno. ‘‘I think everything’s moving in the right direction.’’

Paterno missed the Temple game two weeks ago but returned to the press box to watch against Michigan State four days ago.

‘‘My understanding [is] everything at the game went extremely well,’’ Curley said. ‘‘He was very involved and at the game until the very end.’’

A number of the players who have led Penn State to the Outback Bowl were honored for their individual efforts Tuesday.

Senior linebacker Paul Posluszny and sophomore strong safety Anthony Scirrotto were named first-team all-conference by the Big Ten media. The selection was a no-brainer for the All-American Posluszny, while Scirrotto earned his by tying for the conference lead with five interceptions.

Six other Lions were named second-team all-conference (see sidebar box), led by running back Tony Hunt, who has 1,228 yards rushing and 14 touchdowns, and linebacker Dan Connor.

Also Tuesday, Posluszny and Connor were named as two of the three finalists for the Bednarik Award, given to the nation’s best defensive player. The other finalist is Michigan defensive end LaMarr Woodley, the likely frontrunner for the honor with 11 sacks, 15.5 tackles for losses, four forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries.

Posluszny won the Bednarik Award last year and earned finalist distinction with a strong finish this season. Connor’s selection was a bit of a surprise since he wasn’t even named one of the three finalists for the Butkus Award as the country’s top linebacker.

Rounding out Penn State’s honors Tuesday, Jeremy Kapinos was named one of three finalists for the Ray Guy Award as the nation’s top punter. Kapinos averaged 42.2 yards per kick during the regular season, with 19 punts inside the 20-yard line.

The other finalists for the Ray Guy Award are Georgia Tech’s Durant Brooks and Baylor’s Daniel Sepulveda.

Buzz05
11-30-2006, 07:38 AM
From what I have heard and read it looks like Tenn. is going to the our opponent for The Outback Bowl. I would rather play them then Auburn,

SteelCityMan786
12-03-2006, 01:46 PM
That's who is the Altoona Mirror is saying. But We'll know tonight.

Buzz05
12-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Well looks like Tenn. I have a good feeling bout this game. It should be a good test to see what kind of character these young guys have and to see if Morelli has matured at all this year in the offense.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2006, 05:18 PM
No Doubt Buzz. This will be a good game.

WE ARE PENN STATE!

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2006, 08:37 PM
http://http://www.gopsusports.com/pressreleases/pressrelease.cfm?anncid=11418

It's too long so I kept it to one post.

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2006, 08:37 PM
http://www.gopsusports.com/pressreleases/pressrelease.cfm?anncid=11420

Posluszny Wins Bednarik Award for Second Consecutive Year
Senior linebacker also named to Walter Camp All-America team

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.; December 7, 2006 - Penn State senior linebacker Paul Posluszny (Aliquippa, Pa.) has become just the second two-time winner of the Bednarik Award.

Posluszny captured the honor at the nationally televised Home Depot College Football Awards Show at the Atlantic Dance Hall at Disney?s Boardwalk.

The Bednarik Award is presented to the nation?s top defensive player by the Maxwell Football Club. The award was first presented in 1995 in honor of former Philadelphia Eagles standout Chuck Bednarik.

Posluszny was announced as the winner by Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald, who was the only previous two-time winner of the Bednarik Award during his playing days as a standout linebacker for the Wildcats.

"I'm extremely honored to win the Bednarik Award," said Posluszny. "I think the fact that we had two finalists for the award demonstrates how well we've played defense at Penn State the last few years. I'm honored to be in the same company with Pat Fitzgerald, who also was coached by (Penn State linebackers coach) Ron Vanderlinden. That says a lot about him as a coach."

Posluszny also was named to the Walter Camp Football Foundation All-America team, becoming Penn State?s 89th first team All-America selection and the 13th Nittany Lion to earn first team All-America honors twice.

Senior tackle Levi Brown (Norfolk, Va.) was selected a Walter Camp second team All-American, earning All-America honors for the second consecutive year.

A 2005 consensus All-American and two-time first team ESPN The Magazine Academic All-American, Fitzgerald was coached by Ron Vanderlinden, who is Penn State?s linebackers coach and works with Posluszny and junior Dan Connor (Wallingford, Pa.), who also was a finalist for the Bednarik Award. Penn State was the first school to have a pair of Bednarik Award finalists in the 12 years the honor has been presented.

Penn State senior Jeremy Kapinos (Springfield, Va.) was a finalist for the Ray Guy Award, presented to the nation?s top punter.

Posluszny also is a finalist for the Lott Trophy, which will be awarded Sunday to the nation?s IMPACT defensive player of the year and was a finalist for the Rotary Lombardi Award, which is presented to the nation?s top lineman or linebacker.

The 2005 Butkus Award winner, Posluszny is the leader of one of the nation?s top defenses. He leads Penn State with 108 tackles, which ranks No. 3 in the Big Ten. The Nittany Lion defense is ranked in the Top 20 nationally in rushing (87.8 ypg, 10th), total (279.0 ypg, 16th), pass efficiency defense (104.4 rating, 11th) scoring defense (14.8 ppg, 11th) and sacks (38, T 8th) .

A starter in the last 36 games, Posluszny is the school?s career tackle leader (364) and the first Nittany Lion to earn three 100-tackle seasons. The former Hopewell High School standout has108 hits (65 solo), with 7.0 TFL, 3.0 sacks, two forced fumbles and four pass break-ups. He has led team in tackles eight times this season, including the last three games, and has an opportunity to become the first Penn Stater to lead the team in tackles three consecutive years.

Coach Joe Paterno?s Nittany Lions (8-4) will meet No. 17 Tennessee (9-3) in the Outback Bowl on New Year?s Day in Tampa, Fla. Penn State will be playing in its third January bowl game in the past five years and 33rd bowl game overall under Paterno, the all-time leader in post-season wins (21) and appearances (33).

Buzz05
12-12-2006, 07:47 AM
A great kid who deserves everything he gets. It would be a dream to have Posluszny put on the black and gold. I doubt it could happen but holy crap would it be a good fit. He could be the second coming of Jack Hamm....

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Outback Bowl Media Day

http://www.gopsusports.com/pressreleases/pressrelease.cfm?anncid=11457

Penn State Outback Bowl Media Day
December 14, 2006

#13 Jay Alford, Senior DT

Comment on Tennessee?s running game..
That is going to be very important. We definitely want to control the clock, so stopping the run is going to be very important. Whoever can run the ball is going to be ahead in the game.

Comment on defensive tackle Ed Johnson and his season..
I know it was really hard for him (to leave for a year). When he cam back he was a little out of shape, but that was just from him being home. He got back into the rotation of things pretty well. He was very dedicated to be here for four years and then come back for another 12 games.

Who does Erik Ainge remind you of?
He reminds me of the guy from Wisconsin (John Stocco). He is not really a scrambler, but if you give him some time he will pick you apart.

Summarize your season..
I think I played well. At times I think I could have played better. But, all in all, I think it was a good year.

What role will Dan Connor play on the defense next year?
He is a great linebacker. He comes every day and works very hard. He is a great worker.

#67 Levi Brown, Senior LT

Do you expect to give Tony Hunt some room to run against Tennessee?
All we have to do is give him a little crease to get through. Tennessee?s defense is very aggressive. We will have our hands full with them.

How has your final year been?
I enjoyed it. It didn?t turn out the way I wanted it to record-wise. But I have enjoyed being around the guys and the coaches and, of course, the fan support.

Comment on passing leadership down to the younger guys..
You just need to lead by example and just step up when we need it. Paul (Posluszny) is a great guy. It has been great seeing him receive all of the awards because he has earned it. I have just enjoyed my time being co-captain with him.

How has playing here prepared you for the next level?
I think the atmosphere is unlike any other. There aren?t going to be as many fans at any NFL games. I am just looking forward to seeing what happens. Being involved with a team will be good, and just going out and having fun.

How has playing in the Big Ten prepared you for the NFL?
I think we have some of the best athletes in the Big Ten. I think I have had the opportunity to go up against some of the best defensive ends in the country this year. Those types of guys have improved my skills.

#3 Deon Butler, Sophomore WR

What have you guys been up to since the Michigan State game?
We?ve been practicing, working out. We?ve been practicing three days a week, and lift twice a week to stay in shape. Every now and then we?ll have drills to work on our timing. We?ve been keeping at it, but at a lighter pace.

Tell us about Tennessee defense.
They are real aggressive, that?s the first thing I saw. They?re real aggressive when they make tackles. You just have to be patient. I think, every now and then, we can make a guy miss because of how aggressive they are so, we have to be able to use that against them.

Does the defense remind you of anyone you?ve played?
Not off the bat, they?re just real physical. I think they?re faster than a lot of teams we?ve played. They don?t remind me of anyone in the Big Ten. I think they?re talented.

Is it fair to say the passing game wasn?t in synch for most of the season?
Yeah, that is fair to say. Obviously, we didn?t do the things we wanted to do. We?ll continue to work at it and hopefully it?ll improve during the bowl game. It?s not going to suddenly light up the scoreboard but just be steady and improve and be a lot better than we have been before.

The bowl practices, how important are they toward getting prepared for next season?
Definitely important because we have to continue to work at it. We haven?t had the passing season (we wanted). Luckily, we have guys that are going to stick to it and want to get better so we?re going to continue to work at it.

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2006, 10:12 AM
(continued)

#40 Dan Connor, Junior OLB

On being selected an All American..
I don?t really think much of that stuff. It?s a great honor. My parents called and they were happy, but as far as who?s on what, whether you?re first or second team, it?s all the same in my opinion.

How important is this bowl game for setting up next year?
That?s how we look at it. The (regular) season?s over. Now, these practices and workouts are the start of next year. We?re playing younger guys in practice, seeing how they are, and getting them a feel for it. It?s the momentum going into the off-season and starting up next year so, we?re excited about it.

As much as Tennessee passes and screens, what kind of pressure does that put on the linebackers?
There?s a lot. The linebackers in that league in general are real fast. Speed is very important in that league. They run screens and they have speed everywhere, so there?s a strong need for big plays at linebacker, and I think we can do it. We have the players, we have the confidence, and we have the coaching, so I?m confident we can do it.

Are you looking for that signature win against Tennessee?
That?s what we?re hoping for. It?s kind of our last shot to make a statement. We?ve been trying all year and we?ve played tough opponents. So, to get one more chance to go out there and prove that we?re a real good football game. It means a lot to the team and to the seniors.

What it will be like stepping up to the leadership role after Paul Posluszny..
Yeah, it?s what I?ve been training for.. to call the huddle, and be the leader on the team. Playing right behind Paul, right in his shadow, I got to learn a lot. I see what he does and see how he reacts. He?s like an older brother almost; learning through him is what I?m doing. So next year, to be in his position, is something I want and something I?ve been looking forward to.

#26 Tony Hunt, Senior TB

Is there a moment that really sticks out in your experience here?
Not necessarily.. I?m pretty excited about this bowl game though.

Is being in Florida a chance for you guys to live it up a little bit?
Not too much fun. It?s a lot of practice and just getting ready for the game, but that?s always fun so, I?m looking forward to it.

How important is it to leave on a winning note?
If we leave on a winning note, and win this big bowl game, it will leave a lot for the team and the underclassmen to build off for next year. Coming off of a win against a good Tennessee team, and then going into the off-season, thinking about it and remembering the big game, I think it will help them out a lot for next year.

#36 Jeremy Kapinos, Senior P

How tough is it to get better when you have reached the point you are at right now?
I was just sitting on the field thinking of that yesterday. I was thinking about all the times I?ve had out there and all the struggles. I was sitting in the weight room today for the last time thinking about how hard I?ve had to lift. It has been a long four-plus years. It has definitely been tough. There have been no easy roads.

How much of your improvement have you had to take upon yourself?
Coach (Larry) Johnson has been my coach and he has been terrific for me. We have an open line of communication. When I need to work with him, I work with him. He also has the D-line, so he can?t really worry about what I am doing. I just go and do my drills and he trusts me. Some of it has been on me. When I go home for the summer, it has been six weeks of just me. When I am up here I am in Coach Johnson?s hands.

What do you think will be your path to the next level?
I think you make your money or lose your money at the (NFL) Combine. I am pretty confident I will (get invited). I think recently, being a finalist for the Ray Guy (Award), my name is starting to get out there. Hopefully people will take a look at what I?ve done here.

Will people take note that no one has busted a big play off of your kicks?
I think they should. When you look at the point of being a good punter you look at, do you have any punts blocked or do you have any punts returned on you? Both of those categories I didn?t. We were able to shut down everyone all year.

#14 Anthony Morelli, Junior QB

How has the negativity from this season affected the offense?
We won eight games and we?re headed to a big bowl game. All of that negative talk about the offense I think it faded off and stopped because we?re in another big bowl game. We were last year and we are this year. It might have been a different offense this year than it was last year, but overall, I look at it as a successful season and now we?re preparing for Tennessee and also for next year.

How is it having more time to prepare for the bowl as opposed to a regular game?
You can get into more details with things. You?ve got so much time to break it down; it?s a lot easier unlike one week of time like during the regular season. I kind of look forward to it because we have so much time, so many practices and film sessions. It?s definitely going to help the offense and receivers out.

How is your confidence?
My confidence level is real high, especially with all this time to break down film and have a lot of practices. I feel real confident and comfortable heading into this bowl game.

What would you like to improve on next season?
From a personal standpoint, I?d like to make a couple of more big plays, throw more touchdown passes. But numbers don?t matter, we won eight games and we?re going to a bowl game. There is room to improve, I?ve got another season left. All the wideouts are back, half of our line is back. We?ve got Austin Scott coming (back), he brings tremendous talent and speed. Overall, I think we did well as a team.

How do you respond to criticism?
You?ve got to ignore it. It comes with the territory of being a quarterback. You?re going to hear a lot of it if you?re not perfect every game; you?re going to be criticized especially a big time program like this on national TV. You kind of have to put it behind you, you?re a human and you?re going to make mistakes.

#31 Paul Posluszny, Senior MLB

How important is playing one last game against a tough opponent like Tennessee?
I think it is a great opportunity for us to finish our season strong. The season didn?t go as planned. At the beginning of the year we were looking for a Big Ten Championship. We obviously didn?t get that, but we have a great opportunity to play against a very good SEC opponent like Tennessee on New Year?s Day. It is a great opportunity for us to finish the season off on a high note.

Does Tennessee quarterback Erik Ainge remind you of any Big Ten quarterbacks?
I don?t think he reminds me of any one guy in particular. He is a very solid quarterback. The more we watch him on film the more he surprises us. He makes a lot of big plays. He has a great ability to look off defenders and get down field. He is a tough quarterback. Their passing game is definitely something we are going to have to control.

Comment on the Big Ten playing the SEC and the feeling the SEC teams have more speed.
We went through the same thing last year playing Florida State. Everyone was talking about the speed in the south. The Big Ten is one of the toughest conferences in the country. It is not because they are big and slow. It is because there are great athletes in the Big Ten. If you look at our roster, some of our guys can fly. I don?t think you can say that Tennessee is a lot faster than us. Both of us have great athletes.

What has it been like the last year knowing that Jack Ham has called you the best linebacker to play here?
To be honest with you, I didn?t think about that a lot during the year. Last year when he said that I was very honored by that comment. During the season I was worried about day-to-day things. I didn?t think about that a lot.

Comment on moving to inside linebacker this year..
I definitely had its ups and downs. At the beginning of the year, I wasn?t that comfortable playing middle linebacker. Mentally, it took me a little longer to get used to the game this year than in years past. Defensively, I think we played really well. We finished up strong this season. Overall, I think we had a pretty good season.

#7 Anthony Scirrotto, Sophomore Saf.

Is there any activity in Florida that you are particularly looking forward to? Do you see it as a distraction?
No, it?s always good to experience other things while you?re down there. That?s the whole thing about the bowl game. It?s all about the experience. I?m looking forward to going to Busch Gardens with the team; I think there?s another beach thing. So, everything down there I?m looking forward to. When we?re not doing that, we?re focused on working our butts off to get ready for the game. We?re on a business trip basically, and we?re going to be ready come kick off.

On Coach Paterno turning 80 next week..
Coach Paterno, it seems like he?s 40 years old. He?s back out there with us. He just had a broken leg and surgery, and he?s back out there coaching us. The guy has a fire inside of him that keeps burning, and I don?t think it?s going out any time soon. He loves coaching and he loves the game. It?s one of the most important things in his life, and he does a great job at it. I?m proud to be part of a squad with him as a coach, and to have him as my coach is a great privilege for me.

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2006, 10:12 AM
(continued)
#20 Tim Shaw, Senior DE

What have you taken away from Penn State that you might not have from another school?
So much. I can?t even say. Just thinking about a few things?the character that?s been built into me since I?ve been here. I tell people everyday when I talk about Penn State, I just love this place in general, the people, my coaches, my teammates, the people on campus. It?s something special. I don?t think that other places are like this, and I refuse to believe that they are, because Penn State is a special place. I?m taking away relationships and great experiences that I?ve had.

How was it coming from Michigan?
It was everything that I could have hoped for. Somebody said to me, all the tough stuff that you go through, you couldn?t pay me enough to do it over again, but I wouldn?t trade it for anything. The experiences that I?ve had, all the stuff I?ve learned from going through the tough times and the great times.

What are you looking forward to most in Florida?
Other than the game, I?m just looking forward to being out in the sun. And hopefully we get a day off that I can play golf. A lot of that stuff can be a distraction. I heard there?s stuff scheduled up to two days before the game, but I?m not going to be walking around two days before the game, I?m going to be resting up. The guys have to make sure they don?t get distracted by that stuff. But, I?m just looking forward to the sunshine and relaxing a little bit.

On being a fan of other Penn State sports..
I feel that athletes here stick together and support each other. I?ve come to love this place, and with this it?s come to ?I want to go support these girls? or, ?I want to go to the wrestling meet,? or whatever. And it?s not just because I have friends on those teams. It?s just the fact that I want Penn State to win in whatever it does. I?m full of Penn State pride and I love this place.

#57 A.Q. Shipley, Sophomore C

Are the bowl practices a bonus?
It?s always big. The amount of practices we?re able to get before the game and able to get the younger guys some reps.. try and get some continuity among the group that?s coming back for next year. Levi is sitting out a couple of reps now, getting some guys that might play tackle next year (reps). We?re starting to get a feel for that and it?s a great way to get ready for next year by giving these guys some reps.

People have run on Tennessee this year, what do you see in the films for defense?
If there is any weaker point in their defense that would be it. They?re a solid defense; they?re fast. They?re used to playing in the SEC, which is known for speed. Their linebackers come downhill in a hurry, they play real good in the secondary.

Is there a lot of conference pride aspect in the bowl selections?
For sure, every year it seems like at least two or three games its Big Ten vs. SEC, and it comes down to which is going to win, toughness or speed. That?s basically the way it is characterized. We?ll see who comes out on top; it?s going to be a good match-up.

Was there one defining moment this season?
I don?t think there was one moment; we were up and down all year. We never really put together a string of things. We?re working on that, trying to put together one constant game plan and be able to produce without making all the mistakes we have at certain points of the year.

#2 Derrick Williams, Sophomore WR

You didn?t play in the bowl game last year. Are you especially excited for this bowl?
I?m very excited. Just going out there and have fun with my friends. See my family out there and play in the atmosphere of a New Year?s Day bowl, it?s going to be great.

What do you think of Tennessee?
I think that we?ve seen a lot of film, they?re very fast and I think we can match speed for speed. It?s going to be a great game.

How do you feel about the losses this season?
Every game we lost we felt like if we played them again, it?d be a much closer battle and we maybe would come out with a win. There was never a team that just out right beat us. We just need to practice harder and everything will be O.K.

How will people feel about next season if you beat Tennessee?
I think if we win, everyone will be expecting a great season. We?re expecting to go to the national championship next year. It?s going to be a key moment for us, and next year we have a lot of guys back on offense.

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2006, 10:14 AM
http://www.gopsusports.com/pressreleases/pressrelease.cfm?anncid=11455

Trio of Nittany Lions Earn All-America Honors From The Sporting News
Connor is Penn State's 90th first team All-American

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; December 14, 2006 ?A trio of Penn State standouts have been named to The Sporting News All-America team.

Junior linebacker Dan Connor (Wallingford, Pa.) earned first team All-America honors, while senior tackle Levi Brown (Norfolk, Va.) and senior linebacker Paul Posluszny (Aliquippa, Pa.) were second team selections.

Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and Southern California were the only schools with three or more players on The Sporting News All-America team.

Earlier this week, five Nittany Lions were named to the Associated Press All-America team, the most for Penn State since having five honorees in 1994. Posluszny was selected to the AP first team for the second consecutive year and Connor was named to the second team. Brown was joined on the AP third team by senior defensive tackle Jay Alford (Orange, N.J.) and senior punter Jeremy Kapinos (Springfield, Va.), who became the first punter in school history to earn All-America accolades.

Penn State has had at least one first team All-American in 34 of Coach Joe Paterno?s 41 seasons in Happy Valley.

A finalist for the 2006 Bednarik Award, Connor becomes the 13th linebacker at ?Linebacker U? to earn first team All-America honors under Paterno. Connor is the 77th Penn Stater selected a first team All-American a total of 90 times and the 61st Nittany Lion to earn first team All-America accolades a total of 73 times under the legendary coach.

Connor is in his second season as a starter at outside linebacker and is second on the squad and fourth in the Big Ten with 103 tackles. He is tied for second on team with 8.5 tackles for losses, is tied for third with 5.0 sacks (minus-39), leads with three forced fumbles (sixth in Big Ten), has two interceptions and one big safety on a sack vs. Illinois.

The 2003 Parade Linebacker of the Year and Jim Henry Award winner at Strath Haven High School, Connor is one of only three Big Ten players to earn conference Defensive Player of the Week honors twice this season. A member of the 2006 Butkus Award Watch List, he was recognized after making a season-high 13 stops vs. Akron, earning career-highs with 3.5 TFL for minus-23 yards and two sacks. Connor also earned Big Ten accolades in the 12-0 blanking of Purdue, as he made 12 tackles and grabbed an interception at the PSU 20, handing the Boilermakers their only shutout under Coach Joe Tiller.

Connor, who also made 12 tackles vs. Notre Dame and Illinois, is eighth on the Penn State career tackles list with 264.

Posluszny and Connor are just the second tandem of Nittany Lions to have 100 more tackles in the same season. Posluszny leads the Lions with 108 tackles and Connor has 103. The only previous time Penn State has had a pair of 100-plus plus tacklers in the same season was 1989, when linebacker Andre Collins recorded 130 and linebacker Brian Chizmar had 110. Penn State began keeping tackle records in 1969.

Posluszny is the 2005 and ?06 Bednarik Award winner, presented to the nation?s top defensive player by the Maxwell Football Club. The 2005 Butkus Award winner as the nation?s top linebacker, he also was a finalist for the 2006 Butkus and Rotary Lombardi Awards and the Lott Trophy.

A 2006 AP and Walter Camp first team All-American, Posluszny joins Dennis Onkotz (1968-69), Shane Conlan (1985-86) and LaVar Arrington (1998-99) as Nittany Lion linebackers that have earned first team All-America accolades twice.

Posluszny is the leader of one of the nation?s top defenses, recording a team-high 108 tackles, which ranks No. 3 in the Big Ten. A starter in the last 36 games, he is the school?s career tackle leader (364) and the first Nittany Lion to earn three 100-tackle seasons. The former Hopewell High School standout has 65 solo tackles, with 7.0 TFL, 3.0 sacks, two forced fumbles and four pass break-ups. He has led team in tackles eight times this season, including the last three games, and has an opportunity to become the first Penn Stater to lead the team in tackles three consecutive years.

Posluszny also is a two-time first team ESPN The Magazine Academic All-American was selected the 2006 Academic All-American of the Year among Division I football players.

Posluszny and Connor have played a significant role in Penn State fielding a Top 20 defense for the third consecutive season. The Nittany Lions rank in the top 20 nationally in rushing (87.8 ypg, 10th), scoring (14.8 ppg, 11th) total (279.0 ypg, 16th) and pass efficiency defense (104.4 rating, 11th) and sacks (38, T 8th).

A 2006 co-captain along with Posluszny, Brown also was selected a 2006 Walter Camp second team All-American and earned second team AP All-America honors in 2005. Arguably Penn State?s best offensive lineman in the past 10 years, Brown has started 44 of the last 47 games and is a two-time All-Big Ten selection.

Brown has been instrumental in Penn State gaining more than 200 rushing yards four times this season and helping tailback Tony Hunt become just the fifth Nittany Lion to eclipse 3,000 career rushing yards and the sixth Penn Stater to earn a pair of 1,000-yard rushing seasons.

The Nittany Lions (8-4) will meet No. 17 Tennessee (9-3) in the Outback Bowl on New Year?s Day in Tampa, Fla. Penn State will be playing in its third January bowl game in the past five years and 33rd bowl game overall under Paterno, the all-time leader in post-season wins (21) and appearances (33). The game will kick off at 11:00 a.m. and air on ESPN and the Penn State Sports Network.

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2006, 10:15 AM
http://www.gopsusports.com/pressreleases/pressrelease.cfm?anncid=11472

?Penn State Football Story Outback Bowl Special? To Debut Saturday Throughout Northeast and in Midwest
60-minute show will preview Outback Bowl clash with No. 17 Tennessee

# List of Affiliates (.doc)

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; December 20, 2006 ? Nittany Lion football fans can begin gearing up for the 2007 Outback Bowl with the Penn State Football Story Outback Bowl Special presented by Nationwide, which debuts on Saturday, Dec. 23.

Produced by the creators of The Penn State Football Story, the 60-minute program will preview Penn State?s Outback Bowl clash with No. 17 Tennessee and include features, highlights and comments from the Nittany Lions on the New Year?s Day game.

The Penn State Football Story Outback Bowl Special presented by Nationwide will debut on Saturday on FSN Pittsburgh (3:30 p.m.) and WTAJ-TV (7 p.m.) in the State College-Altoona-Johnstown market. The program can been seen on stations and cable networks and systems throughout Pennsylvania, the Northeast and parts of the Midwest through the morning of January 1, 2007.

Also, on December 29, the Nittany Lion Hotline Outback Bowl Preview Special ? Presented by PHEAA will air on most of the Penn State Sports Network affiliates that carry the Nittany Lion Hotline. The program will air from 6:05-7:00 p.m. and feature the Penn State football broadcast team of Steve Jones and Jack Ham and interviews with members of the squad.

A complete listing of stations and networks airing the Penn State Football Story Outback Bowl Special presented by Nationwide and Nittany Lion Hotline Outback Bowl Preview Special Presented by PHEAA can be found at the official Penn State Athletics website, www.GoPSUsports.com. Click on the Radio-TV link for the listing of radio-TV affiliates carrying Penn State football and basketball programming.

The Outback Bowl will kick at 11:00 a.m. on New Year?s Day and will air on ESPN and the Penn State Sports Network.

Mind Over Media, a Pittsburgh-based production company, produces The Penn State Football Story and the Penn State Basketball Story. Mind Over Media has received numerous Mid-Atlantic Emmy awards and nominations for its work on Penn State football and men?s basketball programming produced in cooperation with Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics.

Penn State Sports Properties, a division of Learfield Sports, is the multimedia rights? holder for Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics.

Coach Joe Paterno's Nittany Lions earned an 8-4 regular season record, with the losses coming to teams with a combined mark of 44-4 and all ranked in the Top 12 nationally. Penn State will be playing in its 22nd January bowl game under the legendary coach, who is the all-time leader in bowl wins (21) and appearances (33rd).

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2006, 10:16 AM
http://www.gopsusports.com/pressreleases/pressrelease.cfm?anncid=11485

Nittany Lions Resume Practice For Outback Bowl
Team gathers in Tampa to resume prep for Tennessee

TAMPA, Fla.; December 23, 2006 ? The Penn State football team resumed practice today with its first workout in Florida in preparation for its Outback Bowl clash with No. 17 Tennessee.

The Nittany Lions gathered here today and held their first practice since Dec. 16. Penn State students had final examinations this past week. The Lions will practice on Sunday and have their traditional Christmas party with the coaches, staff and families Sunday evening, including a visit from Santa Claus.

"I'm looking forward to hanging out with my teammates and meeting the guys from Tennessee,? said co-captain Levi Brown (Norfolk, Va.). ?One of my high school teammates (running back) David Yancey plays for them and I haven't seen him in awhile. I'm looking forward to doing some fun things after practice while we're here, like Busch Gardens and going to the beach."

"I think we're all excited to take in the activities that are scheduled for us, like Busch Gardens, and just spending time with our families and teammates,? said co-captain Paul Posluszny (Aliquippa, Pa.). ?And obviously getting ready for a very good Tennessee team."

Penn State commencement ceremonies were held Friday in the Bryce Jordan Center. Fourteen members of the football team were approved graduate and four participated in the graduation ceremony -- Jay Alford (Orange, N.J.), Mark Farris (Pittsburgh, Pa.), Darien Hardy (Philadelphia, Pa.) and Donnie Johnson (Cincinnati, Ohio)-- before departing for Tampa.

Coach Joe Paterno?s Nittany Lions (8-4) will meet the Volunteers (9-3) in Penn State?s third January bowl game in the past five years and 33rd bowl overall under Paterno, the all-time leader in post-season wins (21) and appearances (33rd). The game will kick off at 11:00 a.m. and air on ESPN and the Penn State Sports Network.

Penn State and Tennessee are meeting for just the fifth time, with the series tied, 2-2. The Nittany Lions have won the last two meetings, in the 1992 Fiesta Bowl and 1994 Citrus Bowl.

The Nittany Lions are 2-0 in their previous Outback Bowl appearances, defeating Auburn on January 1, 1996 and Kentucky on January 1, 1999.

Buzz05
12-29-2006, 07:27 AM
WE ARE.....

Im beginning to get pumped up for the game Monday. I almost as pumped up for Penn state as I am for New Years

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2006, 09:28 PM
PENN STATE

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 10:14 AM
I'll keep the Outback Bowl Updated for those of you who can't watch it here.

Penn State missed a FG
Tennessee had to Punt

it's PSU Ball 1st and 10 at their 20.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 10:21 AM
2nd Drive Penn State had to punt.

1st Down Vols at their 26.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 10:31 AM
James Wilhoit's Kick is good

Tennessee 3, Penn State 0

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 10:57 AM
KEVIN KELLY'S KICK IS GOOD

Penn State 3, Tennessee 3

Stlrs4Life
01-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Hope we can pull this one out.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 11:16 AM
TOUCHDOWN ANDREW QUARLESS

KELLY'S KICK IS GOOD
Penn State 10, Tennessee 3

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Touchdown Lemarcus Cooker

Wilhott's Kick is Good
Penn State 10, Tennessee 10

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Defensive start to half 2.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Overturn on a review.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 12:30 PM
PICKED OFF BY ANTHONY "SCRAMBLIN" SCIROTTO!!!!!!!!!!!! FIRST DOWN PENN STATE!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Review overturned a catch and we can't stop it right now. DARN IT.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 12:44 PM
And the refs gave away free yards and we didn't stop the first. Let's just hope it's a Penn State 4th Quarter.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Penn State D Stops Them and is getting the ball back.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Replay overturned the catch by Quarless.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Kelly Kicks one short.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 01:05 PM
TOUCHDOWN TONY DAVIS

KELLY'S KICK IS GOOD
Penn State 17, Tennessee 10

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 01:11 PM
3 AND OUT! IT'S PENN STATE BALL!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 01:23 PM
KEVIN KELLY'S KICK IS GOOD

Penn State 20, Tennessee 10

clevestinks
01-01-2007, 01:32 PM
The replays are ridiculous today. And the NCAA rule about the defense can push the wr out while making a catch sucks

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 01:33 PM
TURNOVER ON DOWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clevestinks
01-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Way to go Joe Pa, way to go Penn State! Way to go Tony Hunt!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2007, 01:38 PM
PENN STATE WINS THE OUTBACK BOWL

Penn State 20, Tennessee 10

Stlrs4Life
01-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Great job Nittany Lions!

Buzz05
01-04-2007, 08:50 AM
I heard during the game that the day before the game the coaches talked with all the returning players in a meeting to sense what kind of team they had. Derrick Williams stood up and said that 'anything lesss then a national championship will be a disapointment.' Now that is what I am talking about. Morelli has already come out and said he will be working hard with his recievers all summer and if Connor stays the defense will be just as good next year. I dont know how anyone else feels but even if we dont get a title shot I am predicting BCS for the Lions!

WE ARE...PENN STATE!!!