PDA

View Full Version : Early Jax scouting report

BlackNGold203
09-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Thoughts after watching the Jaguars 24-17 win over Dallas....

We wont be running between the tackles on these guys...Willie will have to get to the corners....theres NO running room in the middle...NONE

Their DB's can be had....but we have to protect Ben/Charlie..if we do..our QB could have a big night....

I found their offense average at best...Leftwich is a statue...and their WR's are average at best..i saw no TE to speak of...we will stuff the run (as always)...and then tee of on Lefty...

They will be fired up on Monday night at home...but we have a score to settle....

Thoughts??

:cool: :cool:

Midnightwriter07
09-10-2006, 08:39 PM
First it was Miami.. now Jax... two good defenses that we have to try to run on.. I too think Jax is a better team against the run and fast. Leftwhich is sometimes really good and sometimes really bad ... obvisouly we will need to get pressure on him.. They do have a couple decent backs in Toefield and Taylor.. is an important game, jax could be a playoff team and a win against them and an AFC opponent would be big. Will not be any easy game and should be a great one for yelling and screaming at the tv screen for 3 hours !!!

Petesburgh66
09-10-2006, 08:41 PM
If Pittsburgh plays there game, they should win. JAX is a tough team but no Maddox this time to throw away the game.

Steelknife
09-10-2006, 10:26 PM
It took them OT to beat us with a backup QB and without Hines.

We will win. Oh yeah, they lost their starting DT(I think it was their DT) for the season.

Steelers 24
Jaguars 13

Ben will be back. They don't want to throw him into the fire vs the Bengals in a huge game. Ben doesn't play well in his first game back. 11 days til the next game...he'll play.

Elvis
09-10-2006, 10:37 PM
I have to agree with midnightwriter.. the Jags Dee is very stingy up front and if Anyone thinks this is gonna be a easy game just because Ben is back.. then you are Very Wrong.. The Jags are just about as physical as we are.. they are built to try to be like us as far as physical is concerned... we should win but it will be a very hard fought win I guarentee it...
Steelers 16
Jags 13 Overtime

Steelknife
09-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Jags won't score very much. We will have success running. Jags lost their starting DE (Hayward) for the year and a starting o-lineman got injured. They don't have a DE replacement who is solid against the pass and rush like Hayward. They'll have to do DE by committee.

http://mb.jaguars.com/Topic64758-6-1.aspx

We'll have success running outside.

We're going to eat Leftwich alive.

Preacher
09-11-2006, 12:42 AM
We'll have success running outside.

We're going to eat Leftwich alive.

Hmmm. I'm split on the inside/outside run issue. I would rather see the plays start to the inside. Parker is fast enough to break to the outside if there is nothing there. However, if we start running to the outside, we limit Parker's ability to break it back. I REALLY don't want to see the kid trying to come back across the grain time and time again... bad things can happen to our only true running back.

However, a LOT of mis-direction plays in the beginning may open up the inside lanes for a big run. Like I said, I am split on this issue.

However.. on D... Blitz the cornerback... blitz the linebackers... blitz the safeties.... BLITZ THE WATERBOY! Goodnight Mr. Sta-puft marshmallow!

Steelers 29 ( 3 TD's, 2 FG's, and a safety)
Jax 17

Bengals Already saying the Steelers cheated in thier (future) win over the Bengals (week 3).

HometownGal
09-11-2006, 07:53 AM
If Pittsburgh plays there game, they should win. JAX is a tough team but no Maddox this time to throw away the game.

Ughhhh. How long are you going to beat the dead horse? :rolleyes:

The Jags are a better team than they are given credit for. Leftwich is kind of like Jake Plummer - when he's hot, he's very hot but when he's not, he's meat. I'm more concerned with their D than their O, but I'm certain between Wiz and Lebeau, they are cooking up a really special game plan for them. I think Jeff Reed's foot wins this one by 2 FG's.

Steelers - 20
Jags - 14

cbalke
09-11-2006, 08:33 AM
i think that QB pressure will be incredibly important in this game. if we can pressure leftwich like we did culpepper, i think we'll be fine. seemed like there were only 2 or 3 plays during the whole game where we didn't have someone back there harassing culpepper within about 3 seconds of the snap. that's good defense, man. :)

Elvis
09-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Like I said earlier.. if you think the Steelers are Not going to have a hard time with the Jags then either you are just blind and have never watched a Jags-Steelers matchup or you just aint using your brains and speaking out the wrong end... This will be a hard fought tough hitting, smash mouth down to the wire hard hittin' game.. mark it down now!!! Just watch, this is gonna be a great defensive game.. if you like offense and not much on defense... then you just as well not watch this one...

83-Steelers-43
09-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Also, I believe it's worth noting that Reggie Hayward is out for the Jags (season ending).

If you all recall correctly he made a big difference for that Jaguar team last season and he particulary had a field day against Max Starks last year.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/JAC/9651501

Haiku_Dirtt
09-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Thoughts after watching the Jaguars 24-17 win over Dallas....

We wont be running between the tackles on these guys...Willie will have to get to the corners....theres NO running room in the middle...NONE

Their DB's can be had....but we have to protect Ben/Charlie..if we do..our QB could have a big night....

I found their offense average at best...Leftwich is a statue...and their WR's are average at best..i saw no TE to speak of...we will stuff the run (as always)...and then tee of on Lefty...

They will be fired up on Monday night at home...but we have a score to settle....

Thoughts??

This sums it up the way I saw it. I would add that the Dallas defense looked very suspect. Bledsoe did plenty to help the Jags run off 24 points. Perhaps the Ben factor weighs in here.

They will be fired up but I'm glad they're coming off a win rather than a loss.

But as you said we have a score to settle and a bitch of a division race one week into the season.

Cincy gets Cleveland - their second cupcake in a row. When did KC's QB situation become so dire?

Mosca
09-11-2006, 01:32 PM
This will be tough, I wouldn't be surprised if we get one hung on us....

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if we win, either.

To expand on what I wrote in another thread, special teams could make the difference if the down play is even. I'd hate to play these guys tough and even, only to lose on a 72 yard punt return. that would suck big time.

Tom

paw-n-maul-u
09-11-2006, 06:27 PM
This is going to be no cake-walk ... stroud and henderson form part of one of the best D-line's in football ... I think a big key will be who can pick up mike peterson on the blitzes ... last game I felt pretty comfortable with handling Miami's rush (minus jason taylor) ... this game I am praying to the football gods that ben is back because batch just doesn't have the natural mobility that ben has ... We should eat their secondary alive, but I think our run game will struggle a bit. on the other hand, our defense will crush them. The only thing that worries me is the matchups with our CB's ... they have probably the tallest group of WR's in the league ... reggie williams and wilford are both like 6'4ish and matt jones is 6'6 ... I don't know who is going to be able to match up with them ... however, none of their receivers have GREAT speed ... we are going to have to get to leftwitch to be effective (which I don't think should be a problem) ...

Petesburgh66
09-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Ughhhh. How long are you going to beat the dead horse? :rolleyes:

Please find a post where I have even commented on this in the past. I will save you some time, I haven't. Therefore, how the hell have I beaten the dead horse? :dang:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Well about the upcoming game against the Jaqs. It will be a tough since the Jaqs are a very good football and do have one of the best defenses in the NFL. Plus playing in Jax for the Steelers is never easy for them. I think the Steelers are 0-3 in games at Jax in the month of September.

But I think Ben will be back and that will be a big plus for us. I think Batch played very well against the Dolphins. But Ben not only makes our offense go but I think really makes our team go.

About the Jaqs defense. They are one of the best in the NFL. But their schemes are not as complex as the some of the schemes the Dolphins had. Its a more basic defense. It will be tough to move the ball against them but not impossible. With Hayward going down thats a big blow to the Jaqs defense.

I'm not really worried about the Jaqs offense. I'm sure we will shut down Fred Taylor and the Jaqs running game. I like Leftwich and he is a good QB but the Steelers defense has faced much better QB's. The only thing that worries me about the Jaqs offense is their height at WR. The trio of Wilford, M. Jones and R. Williams has serious height advantages over our DB's. But I really don't see the Jaqs scoring more then 14-17 points against our defense.

I say with Ben back Steelers win 23-17.

Stlrs4Life
09-11-2006, 07:29 PM
I have to agree with midnightwriter.. the Jags Dee is very stingy up front and if Anyone thinks this is gonna be a easy game just because Ben is back.. then you are Very Wrong.. The Jags are just about as physical as we are.. they are built to try to be like us as far as physical is concerned..

My thoughts exactly. If there is a team out there that mirrors the Steelers, or at least tries to it's the Jags.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-12-2006, 03:00 AM
[QUOTE=Black and Gold Forever 32;148836] I think the Steelers are 0-3 in games at Jax in the month of September.

I like Leftwich and he is a good QB but the Steelers defense has faced much better QB's. QUOTE]

O-3 is Sept.? Great. But everything has changed statistically for us in just two short years.

I 'like' Leftwich too. But two things have to happen on Monday. We have to control time of possession i.e. run the ball and manage the clock in the third quarter in particular. No quick turnovers. Dallas did neither. Last season we did neither.

Leftwich seems to thrive on second and third chances. How many chances did the Steelers last season and Dallas on Sunday give him to get it right. Credit to him that he does actually get it right when given the chance.

Like I said weeks ago when we need a game breaker at the right time I'm banking that Heath will be the guy in the mix. Do we have anyone more versatile? I wish it were Parker.

Midnightwriter07
09-12-2006, 05:28 AM
Parker has that ability..definately !! There were 4 runs he had agaisnt Miami that he was pretty close to breaking and he will have those this year !! I think all of our Skill players that ability... dont forget about Wilson, even though he was quiet against Miami... I think when Ben comes back Ced will be more involved in the game. Alot of teams are going to double cover Ward... which will leave Wilson, Washington, Miller nad or Holmes with single coverage as well as Miller in the mix, so i think plenty of players will have thier shot at making some plays... Millers catch happened because of our run game and Parker had been making some runs.

clevestinks
09-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Looks like another tough oponent! As usual, but its Monday Night Football, and Cowher usually shines on MNF

GOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo Steelers!

HometownGal
09-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Please find a post where I have even commented on this in the past. I will save you some time, I haven't. Therefore, how the hell have I beaten the dead horse? :dang:

It was meant to be a generalized statement and I apologize for the inference that I was referring to you alone. But I will ask you this - why did you feel the need to bring Maddox up in the first place? The game against Jax in 2005 has been long over and he's GONE. This thread concerns the upcoming game against the Jags, not last season's debacle.

Rotorhead
09-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Well since Lefty is not very mobile I feel comfortable with shutting down any big passes, and I am pretty sure we can hinder their running game, so that leaves the short passing game. Our running game will be fine, after watching Parker against Miami (who was every bit of a playoff team last season like the Jags) I am confident in our running game. (Dallas had little problem running against the Jags and I would like to think our running game is better than Dallas) Parker is not going to bowl over people like the Bus did or Verron does, however our O-line has grown accustomed to his style of play and he did a very good job of getting 3-4yds on most carries. Our Oline matches up well against the Jags with their hurt DE and expect to see us run that side often (especially screens!). Willie will break one or two and that is what we have him for. That will keep the D honest and that is the reason Batch and/or Ben will have an above average day passing. I see this being a similar contest as we just had against Miami barring any mistakes. If we play mistake free, we win by 10+

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2006, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=Black and Gold Forever 32;148836] I think the Steelers are 0-3 in games at Jax in the month of September.

I like Leftwich and he is a good QB but the Steelers defense has faced much better QB's. QUOTE]

O-3 is Sept.? Great. But everything has changed statistically for us in just two short years.

I 'like' Leftwich too. But two things have to happen on Monday. We have to control time of possession i.e. run the ball and manage the clock in the third quarter in particular. No quick turnovers. Dallas did neither. Last season we did neither.

Leftwich seems to thrive on second and third chances. How many chances did the Steelers last season and Dallas on Sunday give him to get it right. Credit to him that he does actually get it right when given the chance.

Like I said weeks ago when we need a game breaker at the right time I'm banking that Heath will be the guy in the mix. Do we have anyone more versatile? I wish it were Parker.

No kidding everything has changed for us statistically in two years. Just pointing out playing in Jax for us is never easy. God I don't why I get attitude from people. Thats why I left for awhile from this stupid site. Just try to point something out and this is the response I get. I'll just shut up and won't post a damn thing for now on.

tony hipchest
09-13-2006, 11:31 AM

Thoughts??

good call

watch for the dip play. kirwan and t-rock were just discussing how this play where willie pretends hes going up between the tackles or through the line and then bounces it outside will be very effective, because marcellus wiely who is taking over for their lineman who ruptured his achilles, has minimal lateral movement. even going back to his college and buffalo days that was the knock on him. once willie gets him to bite, only a cb and maybe a linebacker are left for him to beat.

i believe this is the play where willie gained about 7 yards and almost scored the td before batch fumbled last week. if one dont know that this is a designed play one might think that willie is just not hitting what seems to be an obvious hole. but make no mistake, alot of times willie bounces it outside it is the "dip" play designed to take advantage of a defensive linemans lack of mobility.

xfive4x
09-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Coming from a Jags fan, I can tell you that you do want to try to run it up the middle. For some reason there is this belief that the Jags are impossible to run against up the middle. Statistically this is not true. Statistically the Jags are better defending runs to the outside then they are up the middle. Stroud and Big John do tend to clog the middle, but they are generally in pass rush mode. Our interior Dline stunts, a lot, and a consistent rush up the middle, especially with a speedster like Willie Parker, may be able to find some holes. That being said, the Jags will be coming into the game planning on stopping the run, so we may see less focus on the pass rush, and more focus on gap discipline.

Honestly, I don't think we are too worried about the loss of Hayward, as Rob Meier capable of filling his shoes. Meier is not as fast, but he is pretty stout, and is able to generate a pass rush.

tony hipchest
09-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Coming from a Jags fan, I can tell you that you do want to try to run it up the middle. For some reason there is this belief that the Jags are impossible to run against up the middle. Statistically this is not true. Statistically the Jags are better defending runs to the outside then they are up the middle. Stroud and Big John do tend to clog the middle, but they are generally in pass rush mode. Our interior Dline stunts, a lot, and a consistent rush up the middle, especially with a speedster like Willie Parker, may be able to find some holes. That being said, the Jags will be coming into the game planning on stopping the run, so we may see less focus on the pass rush, and more focus on gap discipline.

Honestly, I don't think we are too worried about the loss of Hayward, as Rob Meier capable of filling his shoes. Meier is not as fast, but he is pretty stout, and is able to generate a pass rush.nice take from an opposing fan. meier being able to generate a pass rush may be negated by the jags less focus on a pass rush, if what you say is true.

i think the steelers welcome teams stacking 7-9 in the box to stop the run. jerome is gone and the steelers have more weapons than willie and hines. im thinking ward will be double teamed and rashean will have c. wilson. if this is the case heath and willie can have some favorable matchups in the passing game if the jags are geared up to stop the run.

miami did a good job of limiting the steelers run game in the 1st half. but the steelers didnt mind a few 3 and outs and they kept after it. the same type of patience paid off in the superbowl and it should continue to pay off regardless of the opponent.

xfive4x
09-13-2006, 09:51 PM
nice take from an opposing fan. meier being able to generate a pass rush may be negated by the jags less focus on a pass rush, if what you say is true.

i think the steelers welcome teams stacking 7-9 in the box to stop the run. jerome is gone and the steelers have more weapons than willie and hines. im thinking ward will be double teamed and rashean will have c. wilson. if this is the case heath and willie can have some favorable matchups in the passing game if the jags are geared up to stop the run.

miami did a good job of limiting the steelers run game in the 1st half. but the steelers didnt mind a few 3 and outs and they kept after it. the same type of patience paid off in the superbowl and it should continue to pay off regardless of the opponent.

I would actually be surprised if Hines Ward gets double teamed much. Heath Miller could kill us. Traditionally we don't cover TEs well for some reason, and with his speed he may really be a good weapon for Roethlisberger. You probably will see some favorable matchups in the pass game, because I don't believe anyone doubts that Jax will focus on the run. However, lets not forget that the Jags did spend much of last year as #1 against the pass, and that was without Donovan Darius and before we upgraded the RCB. It should be a great game, and no doubt a physical game. The Colts and Bengals will see what physical football is all about, b/c for some reason those teams' fans seem to think they are hardnosed. Ha!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2006, 09:56 PM
I would actually be surprised if Hines Ward gets double teamed much. Heath Miller could kill us. Traditionally we don't cover TEs well for some reason, and with his speed he may really be a good weapon for Roethlisberger. You probably will see some favorable matchups in the pass game, because I don't believe anyone doubts that Jax will focus on the run. However, lets not forget that the Jags did spend much of last year as #1 against the pass, and that was without Donovan Darius and before we upgraded the RCB. It should be a great game, and no doubt a physical game. The Colts and Bengals will see what physical football is all about, b/c for some reason those teams' fans seem to think they are hardnosed. Ha!

You are very correct about Heath Miller. In last years game vs the Jaqs Tommy Maddox threw to Heath alot.

tony hipchest
09-13-2006, 10:25 PM
so if hines isnt doubled that could mean rashean on hines which could make for a long day for him. doubling cedric could shut him down which places even more emphasis on heath.

i would hope the steelers open up with 3wr, heath, and willie out of the backfield. i wouldnt mind if we only had 7-10 runs in the 1st quarter. spread em out and get em tired, then try to pound the ball.

the x-factor for jax has gotta be matt jones. i wanted the steelers to draft him but am happy with heath. needless to say matt would be tearing it up with pittsburgh and heath would be just as much of a beast with the jaguars. enjoy your stay at steelersfever!

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-13-2006, 10:48 PM
0-3 versus Jags in September?? Bill on MNF- sounds like a string is goin to be broken... and it ain't gonna be ours!!

xfive4x
09-13-2006, 11:24 PM
0-3 versus Jags in September?? Bill on MNF- sounds like a string is goin to be broken... and it ain't gonna be ours!!

Yeah, that's a weird record. I hear you guys are having unseasonally cool weather up north this week, some are thinking that might play a role when you come down here Monday. Who knows? I tend to think great teams overcome that type of stuff.

83-Steelers-43
09-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Jags upgrade Peterson, add Jones to injury report

By The Associated Press
Sunday, September 17, 2006

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Jaguars linebacker Mike Peterson was upgraded to probable for Jacksonville's game Monday night against defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh, while receiver Matt Jones was added to the injury report with a sore groin.
Jones didn't practice Saturday and was listed as probable.

"Matt has a little bit of a tight groin, so we rested him today," coach Jack Del Rio said. "He's OK. It's just that it was tight, so we kept him out of practice."

Five others remained questionable: tight end Marcedes Lewis (ankle), guard Chris Naeole, safety Gerald Sensabaugh (ankle), defensive end Paul Spicer (groin) and defensive tackle Marcus Stroud (ankle).

Naeole hurt his knee in practice Thursday, but tests revealed no damage. Del Rio said Naeole's status will be a game-time decision.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_470975.html