PDA

View Full Version : Branch to Seattle for First Round Pick

83-Steelers-43
09-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Seahawks deal first-round pick to Pats for Branch
ESPN.com news services

The Deion Branch holdout is over, but he won't be playing for the Patriots this season.

New England traded the disgruntled wide receiver to the Seattle Seahawks for a 2007 first-round draft pick on Monday, ESPN.com's Michael A. Smith has confirmed.

The Seahawks, along with the New York Jets, had fashioned a contract agreement with Branch before the season, agreeing to a six-year, $39 million deal that would have paid him $13 million in combined bonuses and about $23 million in the first three years of the contract. Neither team, however, could satisfy the demands of the Patriots, who were seeking first- and middle-round choices as compensation at the time, and the deadline set by New England passed without a trade.

Wide receiver Darrell Jackson, arguably the Seahawks' best receiver, has twice in the past year undergone surgery to his left knee. After missing 10 games in 2005, his durability has come into question. Jackson will return to the field on Monday, but he hasn't practiced since last February, in preparation for Super Bowl XL, and coach Mike Holmgren acknowledged the team will have to "be smart" in easing him back into action.

In addition, tight end Jerramy Stevens will probably miss the first month of the season because of a torn meniscus in his left knee. Stevens is an often-inconsistent pass-catcher, as evidenced in the Super Bowl, but he does provide Seattle with a big presence in the middle of the field. Wide receiver Nate Burleson, signed as a free agent in the spring, is still assimilating the offense, and is more of a deep threat who may not be the best fit in a West Coast-style passing game. Always-reliable wide receiver Bobby Engram, forced to play outside in 2005 because of injuries, is far more effective working out of the slot.

Branch, whose obvious displeasure with his current New England contract has not overshadowed the fact that he is regarded as a solid locker room presence and hard worker, could be the prescription for what ails the Seahawks' passing game right now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2583149

MattsMe
09-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Wow. I know the Seahawks are desparate for people who can actually catch, but a first round pick? Guess they didn't have much choice.

CantStop85
09-11-2006, 12:17 PM
So now they have Jackson, Burleson, Engram, and Branch...hhmm...I don't know if the seahawks really needed this trade.

tony hipchest
09-11-2006, 12:36 PM
T. Brady- 11/23 163 2td 1int

wide receivers - 4 catches for 51 yards.

a crippling blow to the leagues "best" passing attack and qb.

having 2 #1 picks between 16 and 23 should put them in good shape for rebuilding next season. maybe they can get some tips from crennell.

SteelerFanInCA
09-11-2006, 01:05 PM
They've got some pretty good depth at WR. I wonder if Jackson's knee isn't truly healed?

hardwork
09-11-2006, 02:09 PM
The question hasn't been how much will the Patriots miss Branch. He was gone. The question the Patriots have been asking themselves is how good to they think Brady will make Jackson, and Gabriel. BB and company just answered that question.

Ambridge
09-11-2006, 03:23 PM
a crippling blow to the leagues "best" passing attack and qb.

having 2 #1 picks between 16 and 23 should put them in good shape for rebuilding next season. maybe they can get some tips from crennell.

A crippling blow??? It very well could be!! Great compensation but that doesn't help out the Pats for this season.

They wont pay Branch but now they're gonna have two #1 picks next year?? That klinking sound you hear is Robert Kraft pinching pennies with his crab-claw.

3 to be 4
09-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Belichick and Pioli do it again. They get a #1 for a guy who, while admittedly came up huge in the biggest games, was and is a #2. They get 4 good years out of him and when he wants more than his value, they get a #1.

almost as good as the Bledsoe trade. It may hurt a bit in 2006, although i suspect they'll sign another veteran WR at some point, but in the long run its a great day for the Patriots.

Hawk Believer
09-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Lots of talk out here today about the trade of course. I think most people were hoping that we could have gotten him for a 2nd round pick. But a lot of people counter with a bird in the hand argument... its better to give up a (hopefully late) first round pick for someone you know is good rather gamble on a draftee. WR was not one of our positions that had depth problems. But we had cap room and they chose to take a good available athlete.

From what I understand, Branch is a reciever that is a lot like our current top receiver Darrel Jackson with maybe more of a deep threat aspect to him. Sounds like he is pretty small but does a lot after he gets the ball. The one thing our WRs have had difficulty with has been getting seperation when teams jam them. There have been games when Hasslebeck has had few targets besides our TE Stevens. Word is that Branch does a really good job of freeing himself up. And he is only 27, so he hopefully has many productive years left in him.

We are going to have a lot of options now at WR now. I don't think anyone thinks this addition was going to make or break our offense. We anticipate its going to take a while to feel the benefit of his signing as it seems to take a while to learn our offense (See Nate Burleson). But I think most people think that it makes one of our better positions even stonger and is good insurance for an oft injured position.

Ohio Steeler
09-11-2006, 08:25 PM
KIRKLAND, Wash. -- The New England Patriots ended the holdout of receiver Deion Branch on Monday by trading him to the Seattle Seahawks for a 2007 first-round draft pick.
Seahawks general manager Tim Ruskell called Branch "a known commodity," and added that a first-round pick "can be a crapshoot."

Seattle expects to finalize a new, multiyear contract with the MVP from the Super Bowl in 2000 in the next few days.

"It's tremendous. I think he's a fine football player and a tremendous young man. You can't have too many of those guys," Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said.

"His representatives are flying in today," Ruskell said. "Obviously, we wouldn't have done this without the gist of the deal getting done."

Seattle now has four proven NFL starting receivers for Pro Bowl quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and an offense that was sluggish in a 9-6 win in Detroit in its opener on Sunday

"Our quarterback, he's in his prime of his career," Ruskell said. "We want to give him all the tools to work with."

And, as Holmgren was quick to point out, "We still have the MVP of football on our team," 2005 league rushing leader Shaun Alexander.

"We still have to figure out how to get all the people on the field," a smiling Holmgren said. "That's the chess game for our coaches right now."

Branch was entering the last season of the five-year contract he signed as a rookie. He held out of the mandatory minicamp in June and all of training camp. He has been subject to a $14,000 fine for each day he held out from July 28, the start of training camp.

"It's been a long process," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "I think we tried hard to make it work out. I think Deion tried hard. We tried. It didn't work out and we've moved on."

Branch was eligible for arbitration after this season, but Belichick said the prospect of a potentially contentious arbitration process was not "that big a factor" in the Patriots' decision to trade Branch.

In the 2005 Super Bowl, Branch had 11 catches for 133 yards against Philadelphia, helping the Patriots win their third championship in four years. Last season, he caught 78 passes for 998 yards and five touchdowns, all career highs. In four seasons, he has 213 receptions for 2,744 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Branch joins a team whose leading receiver, Darrell Jackson, missed the preseason. Jackson had not practiced until last week following his second knee surgery in four months, in February. Jackson played far more than expected in Sunday's 9-6 win over the Detroit Lions.

Seattle also has veteran Bobby Engram, former Minnesota Viking Nate Burleson and 2005 surprise D.J. Hackett in its receiving corps.

The last time the Seahawks traded their first-round pick for a veteran player was March 2, 2001, when then-general manager Holmgren traded for Hasselbeck.

The Patriots are without their top two receivers from last season. David Givens signed with Tennessee as a free agent for five years and $24 million, including an $8 million signing bonus.

On Aug. 25, the Patriots gave Branch, who had been scheduled to make $1.045 million this year, permission to negotiate a contract with other teams and seek a trade until Sept. 1. The NFL Players' Association filed a grievance on behalf of Branch after the Patriots did not trade him by the team-imposed deadline.

The grievance alleged that in allowing Branch to work out a contract with another team, the Patriots agreed they would trade him if Branch was comfortable with that contract and the draft choice compensation for him "was commensurate with what has been the value of similar players," union lawyer Richard Berthelsen said.

He said the New York Jets had offered a second-round draft pick for Branch, which Berthelsen said was of commensurate value.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Pre
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2583149

LarryNJ
09-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Belichick and Pioli do it again. They get a #1 for a guy who, while admittedly came up huge in the biggest games, was and is a #2. They get 4 good years out of him and when he wants more than his value, they get a #1.

almost as good as the Bledsoe trade. It may hurt a bit in 2006, although i suspect they'll sign another veteran WR at some point, but in the long run its a great day for the Patriots.

I think this is a lot closer to the truth than Kraft pinching pennys.

Ohio Steeler
09-11-2006, 08:49 PM
I think this is a lot closer to the truth than Kraft pinching pennys.

Kraft pinching pennys, he does not do that oh wait I forgot he is as cheep as a (ok stoping myself there) :dang:

Livinginthe past
09-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Lots of talk out here today about the trade of course. I think most people were hoping that we could have gotten him for a 2nd round pick. But a lot of people counter with a bird in the hand argument... its better to give up a (hopefully late) first round pick for someone you know is good rather gamble on a draftee. WR was not one of our positions that had depth problems. But we had cap room and they chose to take a good available athlete.

From what I understand, Branch is a reciever that is a lot like our current top receiver Darrel Jackson with maybe more of a deep threat aspect to him. Sounds like he is pretty small but does a lot after he gets the ball. The one thing our WRs have had difficulty with has been getting seperation when teams jam them. There have been games when Hasslebeck has had few targets besides our TE Stevens. Word is that Branch does a really good job of freeing himself up. And he is only 27, so he hopefully has many productive years left in him.

We are going to have a lot of options now at WR now. I don't think anyone thinks this addition was going to make or break our offense. We anticipate its going to take a while to feel the benefit of his signing as it seems to take a while to learn our offense (See Nate Burleson). But I think most people think that it makes one of our better positions even stonger and is good insurance for an oft injured position.

He is great at getting open in single coverage, has very nice hands and runs his routes almost flawlessly.

As im sure you are aware he doesnt do very well against double coverage - but then not many receivers do.

Also with the Seahawks depth at WR - I dont suppose many teams will be able to risk double covering him anyway.

Having said all that, i'll be rooting aginst the Seahawks this year - sorry HawkBeliever but the worse you do - the better the Patriots extra draft pick - unfortunately im prety convinced that pick is going to be late 20's :cool:

Ill also admit to be completely unsurprised by the Patriots getting a 1st rounder for him - great business by the Patriots for a guy who wasn't going to play before the 10th game of the season anyway - and to think Culpepper only gained a 2nd.

NM

BlackNGold203
09-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Culpeper got a 2nd only because of the doubt about his knee injury....

MattsMe
09-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Already posted.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=10473

SteelShooter
09-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Good business sense for the Pats. But, the pick is for next year....and a year (typically) for a rookie to develop.......now that's up to two years.

What about this year?

With Brady leading the Offensive Corps, they WILL NOT have a losing season. But I fear it will not be the typical awe-inspiring team they have been in the past. No, I am not, or ever will be a Pats fan...........but I will give credit where credit is due.

Hawk Believer
09-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Sounds like they are mortgaging thier future for the present, never a good idea, just ask a 49er. I will be curios to see what they sign him for.
I think we are all thinking the same thing out here. But since we don't have never had a championship, most people don't care. People keep talking about our "window." We have 3 special players in Hasselbeck, Alexander, and Jones and a very solid supporting cast. SO people are content to do things to win before our stars are past their prime, which will be very soon if that hasn't already happened.

Very short sighted, yes. But a lot of people out here just want a taste of the honey.

SteelShooter
09-11-2006, 11:56 PM
I think we are all thinking the same thing out here. But since we don't have never had a championship, most people don't care. People keep talking about our "window." We have 3 special players in Hasselbeck, Alexander, and Jones and a very solid supporting cast. SO people are content to do things to win before our stars are past their prime, which will be very soon if that hasn't already happened.

Very short sighted, yes. But a lot of people out here just want a taste of the honey.

I can understand that. Nice explanation Hawk.

Livinginthe past
09-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Culpeper got a 2nd only because of the doubt about his knee injury....

Yep I realise that.

NM

Livinginthe past
09-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Good business sense for the Pats. But, the pick is for next year....and a year (typically) for a rookie to develop.......now that's up to two years.

What about this year?

With Brady leading the Offensive Corps, they WILL NOT have a losing season. But I fear it will not be the typical awe-inspiring team they have been in the past. No, I am not, or ever will be a Pats fan...........but I will give credit where credit is due.

It depends on the position they draft with that pick I suppose - if it was to be a WR then it could be as long as 3 years before the rook began to produce - thats if he wasn't a total bust.

However, if it was a stud LBer it could be a year or less before the scheme was picked up - I feel that the Patriots desperately need to draft a Shawn Merriman type player - the corps continues to age with not many young guys on the horizon.

There is always something exciting about picking up a high draft pick, but they are always liable to blow up in your face and I think that Seattle still got a nice deal

NM

tony hipchest
09-12-2006, 12:57 PM

Very short sighted, yes. But a lot of people out here just want a taste of the honey.not to rain on your parade but seattle got suckered. i know they overrate and over pay wr's with the best of them, but they couldve had d. stallworth or e. moulds for a 4th or a 5th respectively. better players for less money. the seattle mgmt dropped the ball on this one and id be pissed. i mean you wouldnt trade lofa tatupu for branch would you?

Hawk Believer
09-12-2006, 01:07 PM
not to rain on your parade but seattle got suckered. i know they overrate and over pay wr's with the best of them, but they couldve had d. stallworth or e. moulds for a 4th or a 5th respectively. better players for less money. the seattle mgmt dropped the ball on this one and id be pissed. i mean you wouldnt trade lofa tatupu for branch would you?

Lofa was actually a 2nd round pick like Branch was. And hell no regarding a trade, Lofa is our leader on D in his 2nd year. I think part of their reasoning was that drafts are a bit of a crapshoot and they know what they are getting with this guy. But I hope this doesn't limit our ability to shore up the O-Line if needed next season.

Listening to the radio today, most people are excited. But that feeling may be very different when draft time comes around next year. I haven't followed Branch's career too closely so its hard for me to make up mind about him. I was just hearing one guy saying that he should be able to perform for the Seahawks because we run a balanced offense. We'll see I guess.

I could also see us trading some of our WR talent at some point to move up some positions in the draft.

tony hipchest
09-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Lofa was actually a 2nd round pick like Branch was. And hell no regarding a trade, Lofa is our leader on D in his 2nd year. I think part of their reasoning was that drafts are a bit of a crapshoot and they know what they are getting with this guy. But I hope this doesn't limit our ability to shore up the O-Line if needed next season.

Listening to the radio today, most people are excited. But that feeling may be very different when draft time comes around next year. I haven't followed Branch's career too closely so its hard for me to make up mind about him. I was just hearing one guy saying that he should be able to perform for the Seahawks because we run a balanced offense. We'll see I guess.

I could also see us trading some of our WR talent at some point to move up some positions in the draft.speaking of crapchute, did they send any vaseline over with branch? :busted:

oh well, like you said, if it dont work out you can always trade branch, jackson, or burleson, next year for a 3rd or 4th.

augustashark
09-12-2006, 04:28 PM
There is always something exciting about picking up a high draft pick, but they are always liable to blow up in your face and I think that Seattle still got a nice deal

NM

Nice deal? Jackson, Burleson and Engram are as good or better than Branch. This trade helps one team and it's not the one on the Pacific.

Hawk Believer
09-12-2006, 04:57 PM
So here is what I understand to be true about Branch

PROs:
- Does well in big games (Was SB MVP)
- Good at getting open with 1:1 coverage when people are jamming him
- good after the catch
- reliable performance
- good speed
- should have a lot of good years in him

CONs:
- He's only 5'9" and not Steve Smith
- Can be shut down with double coverage
- Probably demanding more $ than he is worth

I get the impression from you guys there are more cons. What are they?

LITP, do you view the breakdown between Branch and the Pats as more Branch's or managment's fault? Is he going to be an OK "locker room" guy?

augustashark
09-12-2006, 05:11 PM

PROs:
- good after the catch
- reliable performance
- good speed

CONs:

LITP, do you view the breakdown between Branch and the Pats as more Branch's or managment's fault? Is he going to be an OK "locker room" guy?

Giving up a #1 pick. You think about it, you could have traded that pick next year on draft day to move up and take Jeff Samardzija or Dwayne Jarrett. Then with you next pick (prob 3rd round) Take the best OG on the board, Josh beekman or Ben Grubbs.

Livinginthe past
09-12-2006, 06:04 PM

PROs:
- good after the catch
- reliable performance
- good speed

CONs:

Hey HB,

I would place the overwhelming resposibility for the breakdown between the Patriots and Branch squarely on the shoulders of Branch.

The Patriots made a reasonable opening offer for his services and he and his agent made no attempt to make a counter offer - this demonstrated to me that Chayut had no intention of having Deion playing in New England next year.

It appears that Branch realises that New England is never going to be a place that a receiver can make his name and enter the elite list - and therefore never get paid the elite money that Moss and Owens receive.

Of course, the Patriots run a very tight ship and they have a value on everyones head in the organisation - and its a value they wont be budged from unless your name happens to be Brady or Seymour.

I guess you could say that this 'stubborness' played its part in the saga - I view it as solid man management - which should hopefully pay dividends down the line.

I would certainly agree with the list of pro's and con's you listed.

Not many WR's in the league are capable of breaking free of double teams consistently, and those WR's are worth more than a single 1st rounder.

I would also add that he has been a very solid, uncomplaining locker room presence during his career in New England - which is why this latest development comes as a surprise.

I think that Deion will continue to be a hard working solid locker room guy and he may well show us all the statistical power he obviously think he has in Seattles offense.

As you said, you wouldn't swap him for Tatupu, but then again you know you definitely arent getting a Ryan leaf calibre player

Which is more than can be said of the guy who the Patriots select with the traded 1st rounder.

NM

tony hipchest
09-12-2006, 08:18 PM
since 2001 you can really only say there are 2 wr who do good in big games:

h. ward and d. branch. not every wr plays in the big games. t. brown and j. rice didnt fare well in 2002 but that doesnt make them inferior wr's, just on inferior teams.

the problem isnt the player seattle got. its what they will pay to get him. a 1st rounder and 39 mil for 6 years.

d. stallworth was acquired for a 4th rounder. hes bigger, just as fast, young, tall etc. as branch. both have 4 years in the league. philly rated him as the #7 player coming out of college and im sure seattle and the patriots both had him rated higher than branch (hence his draft position). his career numbers are better:

57 games
34 games started
201 catches (about 15 fewer than branch)
2932 yards (about 600 more than branch)
14.6 yards / catch (better than branch)
24 td's (10 more than branch)

he did this all as a distinct #2 with aaron brooks throwing to him and not tom brady. if you look at his numbers with mcnabb throwing to him: 6 catches 141 yds/ 1 td.
4 catches of 20+ yds with a 24 ypc average. he had a ball batted down at the goal line and was wide open in the end zone on r. browns td catch. he was targeted on 2 td passes and very well couldve had 3.

e. moulds only cost a 5th rounder. he has had a stellar career with crap throwing him the ball. he could be in the same category of a m. harrison with someone like brady or hasselbeck or warner throwing him the ball.

hardwork
09-12-2006, 10:27 PM

PROs:
- good after the catch
- reliable performance
- good speed

CONs:

Locker room? That should be on the PRO side of the ledger. Everybody likes this kid. I didn't hear one negative word about him personally during the hold out.

Another very strong PRO that wasn't mentioned is his ability to read a defense and change plans to get himself open. That's what Brady loved about him. They were on the same page. He'll bring that to his relationship with Hasselback(sp?).

83-Steelers-43
09-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Brady shaken by Branch saga
Patriots QB says he spent lots of energy on situation

Posted: Wednesday September 13, 2006 6:04PM; Updated: Wednesday September 13, 2006 6:21PM

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- Tom Brady's opening-day problems may have been caused as much by the receiver who wasn't there than by the opposing defense that was.

Three days after his mediocre performance in a 19-17 squeaker over the Buffalo Bills, the Patriots quarterback admitted his worries about whether Deion Branch would return distracted him from preparing for the game.

"Last week I spent a lot of energy thinking about it and, at the end of the week, it really wasted a lot of my time and a lot of my energy," Brady said Wednesday. "It was a big mental drain and I think it affected the way I played."

Branch was traded to Seattle for a first-round draft pick on Monday, ending Brady's fading hopes that his good friend and New England's best receiver would return.

On the first play from scrimmage Sunday, Brady fumbled when hit by Takeo Spikes and Buffalo scored a touchdown. At halftime, the Bills led 17-7 and the two-time Super Bowl MVP had completed just 3 of 11 passes for 30 yards and a touchdown and was sacked three times.

He improved after that, finishing 11-for-23 for 163 yards, two touchdowns and an interception, but the Patriots' 183-yard rushing attack and a solid defense contributed more to the victory.

Branch missed the game as part of the holdout he began at the mandatory minicamp in June, depriving Brady of the receiver with whom he had developed a strong bond, on and off the field.

"I'm a very emotional person and over the last four or five months it's been draining," Brady said. "It's tough because you develop relationships with players. Coaches don't have (those) relationships with players and the management doesn't know what guys are like.

"In that sense, it's probably tougher for players to see players go because we hang out. We're buddies. It goes far beyond the football field."

Brady is "excited" to face the New York Jets on Sunday without the burden of wondering whether Branch would be back. As much as Brady wanted him to stay, Branch left his former quarterback one last legacy.

"I learned a valuable lesson last week that when something is really out of your control you can't let it drain you," Brady said. "At least I feel like now I can move on. I know he's moved on and I wish him luck."

He said he always felt very optimistic but "obviously it didn't look good as camp went on."

Less than 10 days before the first game, the Patriots added wide receivers Doug Gabriel in a trade with Oakland and Jonathan Smith after he was waived by Buffalo. Neither played last Sunday but Gabriel could emerge as a starter.

"Deion's moved on. I think it's time for us to move on," linebacker Rosevelt Colvin said. "It's unfortunate. You lose a friend. You lose a good player, but it creates an opportunity for somebody else to step in and fill that void."

Brady watched other major contributors to the team leave in the offseason through free agency -- kicker Adam Vinatieri, linebacker Willie McGinest and wide receiver David Givens.

Branch "meant a lot to me as a person and as a player. He meant a lot to this organization," Brady said. "I don't think I've become desensitized to it. I think it's tough every time.

"If it were up to me, none of these guys would have left."

Branch joined the Patriots as a second-round draft pick in 2002, two years after Brady was chosen in the sixth round.

Branch had 10 catches for 143 yards and a touchdown in a 32-29 win over Carolina in the 2004 Super Bowl. Then he caught 11 passes for 133 yards and won the MVP award in a 24-21 win over Philadelphia in the 2005 Super Bowl.

Brady threw all those passes and he and Branch had an excellent sense of what the other was thinking on each play.

Now he must work toward that goal with another receiver.

"That takes a lot of time," Brady said. "It's not as easy as a guy showing up and learning plays and going out there and saying, 'All right, well this is how we're going to do it.' No. You have to go out and you have to read his body language and see how he runs certain routes and understand the timing that he has coming in and out of breaks."

Will that go-to guy be Gabriel, Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, rookie Chad Jackson or maybe even tight end Benjamin Watson?

Now that it's sunk in that Branch isn't on that list, Brady is prepared to focus on working with all of them.

"I'm going to do my best to help this team win and I support our team and our organization just as I support players and their decisions," he said. "I wish it could have worked out, but this time it didn't."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/13/bc.fbn.patriots.brady.ap/index.html

jaysta
09-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Good move by Seattle. They're stretching that field out more and more making it harder to cover these guys. That being said, I'd like to see us meet them again at the Big Dance.

hardwork
09-14-2006, 01:33 AM
They're stretching that field out more and more .......

Right, and so that's what we're missing now in NE.

hardwork
09-14-2006, 01:37 AM
Brady shaken by Branch saga
Patriots QB says he spent lots of energy on situation

Posted: Wednesday September 13, 2006 6:04PM; Updated: Wednesday September 13, 2006 6:21PM

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- Tom Brady's opening-day problems may have been caused as much by the receiver who wasn't there than by the opposing defense that was.

Three days after his mediocre performance in a 19-17 squeaker over the Buffalo Bills, the Patriots quarterback admitted his worries about whether Deion Branch would return distracted him from preparing for the game.

"Last week I spent a lot of energy thinking about it and, at the end of the week, it really wasted a lot of my time and a lot of my energy," Brady said Wednesday. "It was a big mental drain and I think it affected the way I played."

So on, and so forth, etc., etc.

No comment.

tony hipchest
09-14-2006, 10:01 AM
On the first play from scrimmage Sunday, Brady fumbled when hit by Takeo Spikes and Buffalo scored a touchdown. At halftime, the Bills led 17-7 and the two-time Super Bowl MVP had completed just 3 of 11 passes for 30 yards and a touchdown and was sacked three times.

good thing any wr plugged in can prevent this from happening for a 3rd time in a row because teams know if they blitz tom early and get 1-3 solid hits on him they are in a great shot to win as he rattles easy. especially when he lets things outside his control bug him so much.

"I'm a very emotional person and over the last four or five months it's been draining," Brady said. "It's tough because you develop relationships with players. Coaches don't have (those) relationships with players and the management doesn't know what guys are like.

poor tom. he sounds like he needs a sabbatical or to experience what its like to play on a REAL team like the champion steelers where players are treated right. no wonder players cant wait to get out of there.

not every team is owned by a socialist commie and coached by a dictator tom.

Livinginthe past
09-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Maybe we should just scrap the NFL forum and put non-Steelers topics straight into the Blast Furnace?

Hows that sound mods?

203?

83-43?

Some posters obviously have trouble grasping the most simple of concepts - maybe we are just expecting too much?

On a side note, the Bills have obviously worked out what the Steelers couldn't in two AFCCG's - hit Tom Brady early - sounds so simple but then I guess you have to consider the source.

NM

ExtonSteelFan
09-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Brady got clocked hard in that game because the Pat's O-line was terrible. In the two AFCCG's vs. the Steelers this wasn't the case. Had they been that terrible in those games, Brady would have been on the sidelines.

tony hipchest
09-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Maybe we should just scrap the NFL forum and put non-Steelers topics straight into the Blast Furnace?

Hows that sound mods?

203?

83-43?

Some posters obviously have trouble grasping the most simple of concepts - maybe we are just expecting too much?

On a side note, the Bills have obviously worked out what the Steelers couldn't in two AFCCG's - hit Tom Brady early - sounds so simple but then I guess you have to consider the source.

NMawww look whos crying to the mods. unfortunately talking about tom brady and his mental, going into a game is very much a part of football discussion, no matter how much it upsets you or hurts your feelings.

and when tom makes a generalized statement about nfl teams like
Coaches don't have (those) relationships with players and the management doesn't know what guys are like. he obviously dont know how its done in a true championship city and that he is clearly wrong with his statement wrong (much like you often are). i know you dont get saturated nfl coverage from media outlets across the pond (which is probably good for you) but the pats have been taking heat all over.

do i have to go to the blast furnace to report that robert kraft is being accused of being stingy?

do i have to go there to say that last week he was quoted as saying that if players are looking to cash in and make money they dont need to be in the NFL????

what a hypocrite coming from somebody 12 mil under the cap with one of the most valuable franchises around.

now try to spin that as non football talk :crying01:

hardwork
09-14-2006, 04:10 PM

Hows that sound mods?

203?

83-43?

NM

Bingo. If they don't want fans from other teams posting in here make it for Steeler fans only, or STFU and allow for some decent conversation. Punks like Toni Not-too-hip, that never had a life, and know zip about football, are running, and ruining, this section of the forum.

Get your act together mods or step down and let someone good like Prosdo do the job.

tony hipchest
09-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Bingo. If they don't want fans from other teams posting in here make it for Steeler fans only, or STFU and allow for some decent conversation. Punks like Toni Not-too-hip, that never had a life, and know zip about football, are running, and ruining, this section of the forum.

Get your act together mods or step down and let someone good like Prosdo do the job.so the patfans think they can come in here and belittle the steelers with every post and thump their chests about how great the patriots are, but when their empire is starting to crumble, they get all sensitive when a steelerfan discusses it and points out obvious factors? lol!

the e-handjobs you guys seek can be found on another board (primarily a patriots board)

hardwork
09-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Hey, it's toni da phoni.

tony hipchest
09-14-2006, 04:37 PM
save the tears hard work. the pats can trade their 13th pick and seattles 26th to move up and take jeff samardjzia to replace branch and belichick will be back on track next year to fullfil the dynastic promises.

oh sorry was that too much football talk for you or should i have called you a playground name.

"crybaby, crybaby, suck your toe, all the way to mexico..."

chill out bro. your constant attitude is making all the other patfans here cranky. i know youre butthurt over the impending patriots demise and losing 3 of your favorite players so a rich owner can pocket $12,000,000 but it will be alright.

oops. there i go again. too much football talk.

hardwork
09-14-2006, 04:43 PM
If the mods are too dumb to stop you it's fine with me. It's a Steeler board. I don't give a rats a** how stupid you look.

MasterOfPuppets
09-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Hey, it's toni da phoni.

:busted: PERSONAL ATTACK!!!!....PERSONAL ATTACK!!!!!:busted:

:rulez: :nono: :nana:

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-14-2006, 04:50 PM
:popcorn:

augustashark
09-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Come on 83 give it to him, he's just asking for it.....Just think it would be one less Pats fan!

HW = :banned:

HometownGal
09-14-2006, 05:24 PM

Get your act together mods or step down and let someone good like Prosdo do the job.

Tony knows nothing about football? ROFLMAO!!!! :sofunny: Surely you jest. Tony's forgotten more than a lot of people remember, pal. :rolleyes:

hardwork - I like you, I truly do, but you're way out of line. I think the Mods here, including 203 and 83 do a fantastic job of trying to make this board enjoyable for everyone. This board has been a lot more pleasant and enjoyable because they are making every effort to clean this board up and put the trash on the sidewalk. In case you didn't realize it - none of the Mods or Mike get any type of compensation for all of their hard work (no pun intended). I think it's quite hypocritical of you to point your finger at anyone on this board when you and a few others routinely take unprovoked shots at the Steelers, Ben, Bettis, Steelers fans, etc. on a Steelers BB. Do you honestly believe that if we made the same type of remarks about the Pats, Brady, Kraft or Belichick on any Pats forum we would be welcomed with open arms and pat on the head? We would be attacked before we could utter BobKraftIsASelf-CenteredCheapskate. :blurp:

MasterOfPuppets
09-14-2006, 05:25 PM
If the mods are too dumb to stop you it's fine with me. It's a Steeler board. I don't give a rats a** how stupid you look.

WOW!!! calling out the mods....:uhh:

X-Terminator
09-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Tony knows nothing about football? ROFLMAO!!!! :sofunny: Surely you jest. Tony's forgotten more than a lot of people remember, pal. :rolleyes:

hardwork - I like you, I truly do, but you're way out of line. I think the Mods here, including 203 and 83 do a fantastic job of trying to make this board enjoyable for everyone. This board has been a lot more pleasant and enjoyable because they are making every effort to clean this board up and put the trash on the sidewalk. In case you didn't realize it - none of the Mods or Mike get any type of compensation for all of their hard work (no pun intended). I think it's quite hypocritical of you to point your finger at anyone on this board when you and a few others routinely take unprovoked shots at the Steelers, Ben, Bettis, Steelers fans, etc. on a Steelers BB. Do you honestly believe that if we made the same type of remarks about the Pats, Brady, Kraft or Belichick on any Pats forum we would be welcomed with open arms and pat on the head? We would be attacked before we could utter BobKraftIsASelf-CenteredCheapskate. :blurp:

Hardwork is just a troll, plain and simple. Guys like him are a dime a dozen on the internet - they go around and poke and provoke other people (in this case, the Steelers and Steelers fans), and when they get called on it or someone pokes back, they point their hypocritical fingers at them while trying to run away from the mess thay caused. I have absolutely no problem with other team's fans posting here - guys like Hawk Believer, boLT fan, j-dawg, CantStop85, silver & black, Jimmy James, hell, even LITP (though I don't know what's up with his snippety attitude lately) - are all welcomed here because they like good football talk rather than deliberately pissing off Steelers fans. They can also take a little bit of criticism of their own team without getting their panties in a bunch. And to take shots at the mods because he doesn't like Tony is the ultimate hypocrisy, especially considering how we get called "whiners." Well, what do you call that?

hardwork
09-14-2006, 07:06 PM
X-Terminator, give me a kiss baby.

hardwork
09-14-2006, 07:10 PM
I think it's quite hypocritical of you to point your finger at anyone on this board when you and a few others routinely take unprovoked shots at the Steelers, Ben, Bettis, Steelers fans, etc. on a Steelers BB. Do you honestly believe that if we made the same type of remarks about the Pats, Brady, Kraft or Belichick on any Pats forum we would be welcomed with open arms and pat on the head? We would be attacked before we could utter BobKraftIsASelf-CenteredCheapskate. :blurp:

To be honest, Gal, I wouldn't know. I've never been in a Patriots forum.

jaysta
09-14-2006, 07:26 PM
I hate to change the subject, but weren't we discussing Branch's departure from NE and how it's going to change both Seattle and New England's game play this year?

hardwork
09-14-2006, 07:56 PM
I hate to change the subject, but weren't we discussing Branch's departure from NE and how it's going to change both Seattle and New England's game play this year?

Yes, that's what we were trying to do until we were so rudely interrupted. It's shocking I tell you, shocking.

I think one question is how will a small receiver like Branch handle an offense that runs a lot of shallow slants across the middle? He might get killed in the first game. I hope we would still get our draft pick if that happened.

Livinginthe past
09-14-2006, 09:24 PM
so the patfans think they can come in here and belittle the steelers with every post and thump their chests about how great the patriots are, but when their empire is starting to crumble, they get all sensitive when a steelerfan discusses it and points out obvious factors? lol!

the e-handjobs you guys seek can be found on another board (primarily a patriots board)

I took you pretty lightly when you first joined.

Here's a guy who wanted more X and O's type threads - yeah right.

What we really have is a guy who think ass/fart puns are the heights of humor and probably football analysis.

You post some okay-ish stuff on the main forum, but when it comes to here you just post crap - and mostly inane worthless crap at that.

A guy who always has the same lame retorts that he learnt from a guy who had a mental breakdown and had to leave the forum to save what little sanity he had left.

As I say, its your own forum you are ruining - i've had plenty of compliments about the different perspective I have brough to this forum a- all you do is lame ass smack...24/7....zzzzzzzz

I think HW has made a couple of threads stating his belief that the Patriots will have a successful season - but when I look at the sheer weight of your work - it dwarves anything he has done.

I admit I used to get frustrated by your circular arguing technique many moons ago, but that was back when I thought you had something worthwhile to offer.

NM

Livinginthe past
09-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Hardwork is just a troll, plain and simple. Guys like him are a dime a dozen on the internet - they go around and poke and provoke other people (in this case, the Steelers and Steelers fans), and when they get called on it or someone pokes back, they point their hypocritical fingers at them while trying to run away from the mess thay caused. I have absolutely no problem with other team's fans posting here - guys like Hawk Believer, boLT fan, j-dawg, CantStop85, silver & black, Jimmy James, hell, even LITP (though I don't know what's up with his snippety attitude lately) - are all welcomed here because they like good football talk rather than deliberately pissing off Steelers fans. They can also take a little bit of criticism of their own team without getting their panties in a bunch. And to take shots at the mods because he doesn't like Tony is the ultimate hypocrisy, especially considering how we get called "whiners." Well, what do you call that?

Swings and roundabouts.

Ever since I have posted here, which is longer than most, I have not been disrespectful on the main Steelers board, no real cheap shots to speak of.

Unfortunately all we get on the NFL forum recently is bullsh*t - lame smack and baiting.

I dont mind getting into it in the Blast furnace, i can take or leave that action but I resent having my perefctly acceptable threads moved into the Furnace because some people only know one way to discuss football - smack.

If you are happy with this forum going down the toilet, then stand back and watch - it wont be because of a guy who posts 3 or 4 times a week.

NM

BlackNGold203
09-14-2006, 10:14 PM

Hardwork....

If you take issue with how this board is managed...I suggest you leave....

keep it up, and I will assist you with your departure.....

questions?

BlackNGold203
09-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Swings and roundabouts.

Ever since I have posted here, which is longer than most, I have not been disrespectful on the main Steelers board, no real cheap shots to speak of.

Unfortunately all we get on the NFL forum recently is bullsh*t - lame smack and baiting.

I dont mind getting into it in the Blast furnace, i can take or leave that action but I resent having my perefctly acceptable threads moved into the Furnace because some people only know one way to discuss football - smack.

If you are happy with this forum going down the toilet, then stand back and watch - it wont be because of a guy who posts 3 or 4 times a week.

NM

LITP...

I moved the thread to the Blast Furnace...

Happy??

Maybe you ought to leave too...before it "goes down the toilet"....

Free world folks...stay or go.....

augustashark
09-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Crickets...........Crickets.............Crickets.. ......

Livinginthe past
09-15-2006, 12:52 AM
LITP...

I moved the thread to the Blast Furnace...

Happy??

Maybe you ought to leave too...before it "goes down the toilet"....

Free world folks...stay or go.....

No im not happy, actually.

And telling people to leave because they dont agree with the way things are going is pretty lame.

How about trying to stop the thread becoming blast furnace material in the first place, you know...by actually applying some of the rules around here - the same ones BRC used.

Actually just tell me that this an acceptable post on a thread that was pretty civil...

poor tom. he sounds like he needs a sabbatical or to experience what its like to play on a REAL team like the champion steelers where players are treated right. no wonder players cant wait to get out of there.

not every team is owned by a socialist commie and coached by a dictator tom

NM

X-Terminator
09-15-2006, 02:53 AM
Swings and roundabouts.

NM

You're forgetting one thing, though - nobody has a gun to your head and forcing you to acknowledge or reply to it. You're doing so of your own free will. Therefore, IMO, you are part of the problem. If you notice, I rarely - and I mean RARELY - engage in any form of smack talk. Why? Because it's not what I'm here for. I only do it when I engage people I think are exhibiting trollish behavior, or are just generally being a jerk - in other words, those who deserve it. If you simply ignore those posts or even respond to the points without resorting to smack, then you can help keep those threads on-topic and in the NFL Forum.

Also, calling out the mods on the open board is NOT COOL. Those issues should be kept private, IMO.

Just a PSA from someone who's been around the block a few times on the Info Superhighway.

Livinginthe past
09-15-2006, 07:05 AM
You're forgetting one thing, though - nobody has a gun to your head and forcing you to acknowledge or reply to it. You're doing so of your own free will. Therefore, IMO, you are part of the problem. If you notice, I rarely - and I mean RARELY - engage in any form of smack talk. Why? Because it's not what I'm here for. I only do it when I engage people I think are exhibiting trollish behavior, or are just generally being a jerk - in other words, those who deserve it. If you simply ignore those posts or even respond to the points without resorting to smack, then you can help keep those threads on-topic and in the NFL Forum.

Also, calling out the mods on the open board is NOT COOL. Those issues should be kept private, IMO.

Just a PSA from someone who's been around the block a few times on the Info Superhighway.

I respect what you are saying, and you are mostly right.

Thats exactly what i've been doing since this BS started - ignoring it - I just think the situation shouldnt be allowed to continue infinitely.

You will notice there are some posters I still ignore completely, the really worthles ones.

I've tried to address these points privately but havent received a response - i've just watched Patriots threads end up in the Blast Furnace one by one.

NM

X-Terminator
09-15-2006, 09:28 AM
I respect what you are saying, and you are mostly right.

Thats exactly what i've been doing since this BS started - ignoring it - I just think the situation shouldnt be allowed to continue infinitely.

You will notice there are some posters I still ignore completely, the really worthles ones.

I've tried to address these points privately but havent received a response - i've just watched Patriots threads end up in the Blast Furnace one by one.

NM

OK, that's fine. I think we've reached some level of understanding...at least in this thread anyway! ;) I haven't been here as long as you have, so I don't know any of the history, but to me, it's as easy as simply concentrating on the things that YOU can control, and not worry about what everyone else is doing.

Anyway, I'm off my soapbox for now - on to other topics!

tony hipchest
09-15-2006, 09:36 AM
I took you pretty lightly when you first joined.:angel:

Here's a guy who wanted more X and O's type threads - yeah right :scholar: :irock: :football: a shame that idea never got more play. im suprised you never suggested it :rolleyes:

What we really have is a guy who think ass/fart puns are the heights of humor and probably football analysis. (vinatieris foot HAS healed nicely upon his departure. hmmm...

You post some okay-ish stuff on the main forum, but when it comes to here you just post crap - and mostly inane worthless crap at that.
:poop:

A guy who always has the same lame retorts that he learnt from a guy who had a mental breakdown and had to leave the forum to save what little sanity he had left .:rulez:

As I say, its your own forum you are ruining - i've had plenty of compliments about the different perspective I have brough to this forum a- all you do is lame ass smack...24/7....zzzzzzzzhere ya go...:cookie:

I think HW has made a couple of threads stating his belief that the Patriots will have a successful season - but when I look at the sheer weight of your work - it dwarves anything he has done.:troll: :troll: :troll: (get it... dwarves??? lol)

I admit I used to get frustrated by your circular arguing technique many moons ago, but that was back when I thought you had something worthwhile to offer.
:hypno: :hypno: :willy:

NMi see i have driven you to resort to the personal attacky you so despise and for that i am sorry. :chuckle: but let me teach you something real quick here:

not every team is owned by a socialist commie and coached by a dictator tom this is a perfect response to an article and bradys own words describing how he almost lost a game because he is becoming disgusted with the franchise and can no longer focus on football. i realize patfans worldwide are hypersensitive to the loss of some very integral parts to their fluke of a championship run and are severely doubting whether the pinnacle will ever be reached again.

unfortunately the fans have become so disinfranchised and touchy that they view anything said against the patriots as "smack talk". real nfl fans have become disgusted with the media slobjob this team has received (and still receives) in the past 4 years. pardon me if i will not discuss them in a positive light while talking football.

it is obvious you know nothing of the football culture in the mass media here in america. or the way general football talk is conducted. branch and all the other departures have been a hot topic on all the football shows on the tele, radio, periodicals etc.

many view kraft running his org like a commune.
many view the team as cheap for not giving an extra half a mil to vinati
many view d. branch as overpaid and stupid for not taking what the pats offered
many view the loss of branch will be a crippling blow.
many view bradys comment of losing focus in a game as unproffesional.
many view brady worrying about the financial side of the business as something he shouldnt comment about and keep his nose out of it.
many think he was stupid to take a home town discount when he couldve made millions more elsewhere.
many (including brady) think the coach or mgmt really give a crap about the players.
many view this as the year all this creeps up and bites the team in the ass.

now this isnt smack (just like me saying brady crumbles when hit early and hard- its called football talk whether you agree or not). this is reality and it is being said everywhere, not just this messageboard. i suggest you suck it up, grow some thicker skin and quit whining like a little baby :binky:. it looks like youre swollen head, chest thumping, and "im greater than you all" attitude might have to come crashing down. its killing you. youve proclaimed your teams eternal greatness with about every post and now you might have to watch them struggle. dont cry and whine when your nose gets rubbed in it. :poop:

just remember, youre the football pup who came in and pissed on OUR floor.

Tankus_Maximus
09-15-2006, 09:43 AM
*passes the rolled up newspaper to Tony* feel free to pop that pup in the nose.

tony hipchest
09-15-2006, 09:57 AM
What we really have is a guy who think ass/fart puns are the heights of humor and probably football analysis.

in conclusion i forgot to mention *in the famous words of the great monty python*:

"i fart in your general direction" :chuckle:

(i cant believe yours still hung up on a fart joke. that mustve really pissed you off! lol.)

for anyone who missed it- litp was bragging about the magical powers of belichick coupled with the heroics of vinatieri and how he is the greatest to always come through in the clutch (funny how that tune has changed and now hes nothing but an aged replacable part who wore out his welcome and needed to go).

i merely suggested that belichick would fart on his foot before every critical kick as if he were sprinkling pixey dust on it.

:toofunny: good stuff, good stuff.

Livinginthe past
09-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah, thats errr great stuff.

As I said before, I have no desire to talk football on any level with you - you simply aren't capable of it as the above posts demonstrate.

NM

tony hipchest
09-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Yeah, thats errr great stuff.

As I said before, I have no desire to talk football on any level with you - you simply aren't capable of it as the above posts demonstrate.

NMi was playing streetball one time as a kid, (you know the drill "5 mississippi rush", plays included "run to the blue buick and turn towards the middle") anyways johnny got hit really hard and began crying and took his nerf ball and went home. we were all bummed for a few minutes but we went inside, ate some dinner, went to bed, and you know what? the next day someone else brought a ball and the fun resumed.

hardwork
09-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Hardwork....

If you take issue with how this board is managed...I suggest you leave....

keep it up, and I will assist you with your departure.....

questions?

Leave? I've been here a lot longer then you pal.

hardwork
09-15-2006, 12:08 PM
The problem is simple. You've got a poster in here who only wants to act like a baby in the NFL section of this forum. No matter what is posted in there he comes in and starts throwing petty insults around. Then if you point out that this could be solved if the mods did a better job in that section, they threaten to kick you out. Now if that's what you want that part of the forum to like, fine, but don't come down on us because you've set it up that way. And don't come down on us because we point it out.

tony hipchest
09-15-2006, 12:20 PM
The problem is simple. You've got a poster in here who only wants to act like a baby in the NFL section of this forum. No matter what is posted in there he comes in and starts throwing petty insults around. .

dissention amongst the ranks? im suprised to see you talk about LITP this way. i thought you guys were on the same side. :cool:

the mods do a fine job, especially since they dont force steelerfans to bob the knobs of the patriots, bengals, etc. or their fans in the NFL forum. we cant help it your team sucks.

ExtonSteelFan
09-15-2006, 01:44 PM

And what relevance does this have?

HometownGal
09-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Cigars, cigarettes anyone? (Sorry, I'm fresh out of joints - they're on backorder) :cool:

http://www.anytimecostumes.com/Merchant2/graphics/acimages/021901806.jpg

MattsMe
09-15-2006, 02:42 PM

NFL section:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=4258&page=2

"For your next trick you might want to explain to us why the Steelers totally suck ass at collapsing the pocket then Tony!"

"Yawnnnnn.

Tony trick No. 106 - when backed into a corner - plead the right of free speech.

Tony Trick No. 114 - Use utterly ridiculous, non-similar arguments to cloud the issue.

I cant help it that every single one of your opinions on the Patriots and their coaching/ playing staff are so one-eyed they would make a cyclops jealous."

Nope, no disrespect there. :rolleyes:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=10439&page=3

Lets be honest here, it doesn't take very long for juvenile comments to appear on Patriots related threads - or in fact any threads that aren't 100% pro-Steeler.

I don't have to point out who these people are, everyone already knows - but they clearly get a free pass to post nonsense in a forum that is not supposed to contain smack.

To my mind, that includes comments about Belichick, Brady and Palmer that have very little to do with real football based analysis.

Dont get me wrong, I dont find it upsetting in anyway, you should just know that these things work both ways and it often leads to threads going down the pan pretty quick if other posters decide to post the same way.

No im not happy, actually. And telling people to leave because they dont agree with the way things are going is pretty lame.

As opposed to what exactly, doing everything you want them to? Telling you to stay somewhere you're unhappy at?

"Dont get me wrong, I dont find it upsetting in anyway"
"No im not happy, actually."

????????

How about trying to stop the thread becoming blast furnace material in the first place, you know...by actually applying some of the rules around here - the same ones BRC used.

Why don't you try following the rules yourself before you complain about other people? In the Infractions thread, personal attacks were clearly stated to be against the rules. Yet after posting in that thread, you go and create two threads for the sole purpose of mocking Sheba. Personally I found them funny, but I'm not the one complaining about rule breaking. You've repeatedly insulted Tankus, called him names, etc. You think it's okay because he did it to you? It doesn't work that way. Also, you replying to smack in a section other than the blast furnace makes you just as guilty as the people you're complaining about. The "he started it" excuse doesn't work. I can't speak for the Mods, but maybe they'd take your complaints more seriously if you didn't undermine your position by repeatedly breaking rules yourself. Then again, maybe not being condescending, delusional and arrogant would also help your case. Just some suggestions.

MasterOfPuppets
09-15-2006, 03:34 PM
you nailed it right on the head matt. there's quite a bit of hypocracy being spewed across the ocean. i for one was called a bigoted racist in the locker room (unprovoked mind you) simply because i said his views are more of the french government than the english government when it comes to u.s. oversea's policys. of course when i called him on the use of such a term the only responce i recieved was some nonsence about "symantics".:rolleyes:

BlackNGold203
09-15-2006, 04:15 PM

LMAO.....

OK....

I'm dumb..(your assessment)...so clarify for me.....

You're challenging me to ban you?

just wanna make sure....

Hawk Believer
09-15-2006, 05:30 PM
The big question being talked about out here is will Branch play on Sunday. Its possible but the coach won't commit to it. He could make one heck of a decoy though. You know the D would be thinking pass if they see him go in. Could be a nice setup for an Alexander run.

Lots of talk about the Hawks running 4 reciever sets. Could be a nice way of dealing with our problems at TE until Stevens gets back. But we can't run that too often until out O-Line shows it can protect against the blitz. This weekend should be telling to see if last weeks' O-Line woes were something that can be corrected by some coaching and more focused play or if they really are just getting out manned. Last season the line looked bad against the Jags early on and then they pulled it together the rest of the season. Hopefully history will repeat itself without Hutch!

MattsMe
09-15-2006, 05:55 PM
The big question being talked about out here is will Branch play on Sunday. Its possible but the coach won't commit to it. He could make one heck of a decoy though. You know the D would be thinking pass if they see him go in. Could be a nice setup for an Alexander run.

Lots of talk about the Hawks running 4 reciever sets. Could be a nice way of dealing with our problems at TE until Stevens gets back. But we can't run that too often until out O-Line shows it can protect against the blitz. This weekend should be telling to see if last weeks' O-Line woes were something that can be corrected by some coaching and more focused play or if they really are just getting out manned. Last season the line looked bad against the Jags early on and then they pulled it together the rest of the season. Hopefully history will repeat itself without Hutch!

Look, I don't appreciate you bringing up nonsense about Branch in a thread which is clearly titled....oh, nevermind.

On a serious note, calling Hutch a beast is an understatement, but he wasn't your entire line. I'm sure they'll get it together as the season progresses. And as deep as you guys are at receiver, Hasselbeck shouldn't need too much time to find an open man. That really leaves the running game as the question mark. Just a guess, but I'd say Alexander puts up good numbers this year, but far shy of his MVP performance. Not just because Hutch is gone, but because teams will probably focus on him even more after what he did last year, which is another reason passing shouldn't be too difficult. And isn't Alexander past 30?

I still think you guys will make a run into the playoffs, and have a good chance of getting back to the SB.

Hawk Believer
09-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Look, I don't appreciate you bringing up nonsense about Branch in a thread which is clearly titled....oh, nevermind.

On a serious note, calling Hutch a beast is an understatement, but he wasn't your entire line. I'm sure they'll get it together as the season progresses. And as deep as you guys are at receiver, Hasselbeck shouldn't need too much time to find an open man. That really leaves the running game as the question mark. Just a guess, but I'd say Alexander puts up good numbers this year, but far shy of his MVP performance. Not just because Hutch is gone, but because teams will probably focus on him even more after what he did last year, which is another reason passing shouldn't be too difficult. And isn't Alexander past 30?

I still think you guys will make a run into the playoffs, and have a good chance of getting back to the SB.

SA is 29. So he is about to hit the 30 year milestone that is so evil for runningbacks. But, some analysts feel like he is a back that can remain productive into his 30s. He is often compared to a Franco Harris type back. Sometimes he tends to go out of bounds instead of cutting back to the field and getting A) 1-3 extra yards and B) pounded. Some people criticize this tendency to be a lack of toughness. But when you see his career has been freakishly lacking in significant injuries (knock on wood) and full of consistant production, his style just seems smart. Still, we can't be banking on his ability to bounce out the side to be as lightening quick in 2 or 3 years. His understudy Morris has a lot of good buzz about him and I anticipate he'll share the backfield more this season.

I don't think anyone expects SA to put up the same numbers this season. Though his goal is to rush for 2000 yards. His TDs were definately inflated a bit last year; we could have thrown for many of those TDs. But I think Holmgren was trying to be diplomatic and give him the ball every chance possible because of the status of their contract negotiations and some old bad blood regarding the SA's missing the previous years ruching title by a yard or two. No matter how you slice it though, he had an incredible season last year.

Regarding our line - We all knew we couldn't replace Hutch but felt we should still have one of the best O-lines. I still think we can. The big focus is on Porkchop Womack and if he will be able to step up his play like most people tink he can. If he doesn't, we'll through Chris Spencer, our 1st round pick from 2 years back in the L guard spot. Spencer is supposed to replce 84 year Tobek at center but the dude seems to get better with age.

And though I am a homer, I think our chances are as good as or better than any other NFC team for getting back to the big game right now. But its a long, long season. Its fun and to have the fan base expecting excellence this year instead of hoping for it. Its never happened here before.

MattsMe
09-15-2006, 06:45 PM
The big focus is on Porkchop Womack

I know next to nothing about him, but one thing is certain. Porkchop is a perfect name for an o-lineman! With a name like that, I wouldn't be too worried.

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2006, 09:35 PM

It would definantly help out the Seahawks if they use Brown as a decoy. With the division pretty much a cakewalk for them if they can get some trickery in, I think it will work wonders for them in the playoffs(That is if teams don't figure how to recognize them first).