PDA

View Full Version : Peter Kings notes on trip to pittsburgh

tony hipchest
09-12-2006, 12:16 PM
his monday morning qb articles are great:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/09/10/mmqb.week1/3.html

"Before we get to all the flotsam, here's my poignant story of the week. Thursday night, we're all in Pittsburgh for the Steelers-Dolphins opener on NBC, and the room where they've set up the pregame meal for the NBC staffers is the Pitt football locker room at Heinz Field. Little did we know that this is also the place where Steelers center Jeff Hartings goes for some peace and quiet -- and to practice snaps -- before the game. Hartings comes in about 25 minutes before the game, sees us, and stays in the little hallway leading to the room, snapping against the wall. "I'll take a few,'' I volunteered. No thanks, he said; "I might break your fingers.'' Anyway, we chat for a bit, and then Bettis walks in. "Heyyyyy!'' he says, hugging Hartings.

Hartings says, "You miss it, don't you? You miss nights like this.''

Bettis says: "You have no idea.''

Nice moment."

"Defensive Player of the Week

(tie) The entire Baltimore defense. By halftime of the Ravens' back-to-the-future annihilation of the Bucs,:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Joey Porter, LB, Pittsburgh. Porter rendered the Sports Illustrated cover jinx moot in the 28-17 win over Miami, sacking Daunte Culpepper twice and intercepting a poorly thrown pass in the fourth quarter and running it in for a touchdown, sealing the win. I saw Porter the night before the game in Morton's (Al Roker was one table away from Porter), and let me just say this: Cigars must be a good night-before-the-game fare for great athletes. Good for you, Joey. Suck that stogie."

"3. New Orleans lost both fullbacks -- Mike Karney and Keith Joseph -- in the span of a quarter, which has to be the fastest any position ever got wiped out in a season opener. Which led to the following weirdness on the phone after the game: As I spoke with coach Sean Payton of the Saints, he said, "Hey, is Bettis there?''

I said, yeah, he's right next to me.

"Tell him I need a fullback," Payton said. "He can have all the goal-line carries. Tell him I'll call him after he gets off the air tonight and we'll have a contract done by midnight.''

Bettis said thanks, but no thanks.

Payton was kidding. (I think.)

I have a feeling that won't be the only time this season that a coach or GM thinks about trying to lure Bettis out of retirement."

SteelerFanInCA
09-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I love this part:

"I'll take a few,'' I volunteered. No thanks, he said; "I might break your fingers.''

I'd pay good money to see that one. Peter King fingerless and getting a football shoved down his throat.

tony hipchest
09-12-2006, 01:08 PM
"2. I think these are my quick-hit thoughts of Week 1:

a. The stupidity of the former University of North Carolina coaching staff that buried Willie Parker on the depth chart is on display every time he runs the ball. If you didn't play Parker, Tar Heels braintrust, you obviously had Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and O.J. Simpson ahead of him.

b. So Joey Porter kisses Bill Cowher. "Better than last time, when I initiated it,'' Cowher said."

"6. I think this is what I liked about Week 1:

a. Pittsburgh defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau's wonderful football sense. Joey Porter's game-clinching interception came on a zone blitz, where he lined up at defensive end and, at the snap, stealthily floated backward into coverage and stole a Daunte Culpepper pass. LeBeau always seems to know when to blitz and when to drop his rushers back into coverage."

doggfather69
09-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the info.

BlackNGold203
09-12-2006, 04:07 PM
I love this part:

"I'll take a few,'' I volunteered. No thanks, he said; "I might break your fingers.''

I'd pay good money to see that one. Peter King fingerless and getting a football shoved down his throat.

mannn...I love Peter Kings stuff......

Atlanta Dan
09-12-2006, 04:54 PM
All that love for the Steelers and King rates the Steelers #5 in his Fine Fifteen (with the Ravens at #1?!)

Go figure

BlackNGold203
09-12-2006, 05:03 PM
i believe that was just for week 1....and the ratbirds probably did have the most impressive showing for this week....:cool: :cool:

Sith Lord
09-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Tony, thanks for sharing that....it was awesome.