PDA

View Full Version : Best NFL RB Of All Time

hardwork
09-13-2006, 12:35 AM
........and best player of all time.

This is a couple of years old, but interesting.

And I agree with the older generation. Jim Brown was the best. He could take it for 80 yards up the middle, or around the corner. And do it all with a nasty attitude to boot. He was something to watch.

Jim Brown was NFL's best running back
By BOB MATTHEWS

Rochester (N.Y.) Democrat and Chronicle

Out of sight, out of mind. A classic case of that happened at the NFL Rookie Symposium this summer, when the league's 2004 draft picks were asked a series of questions, including who was "the greatest NFL player ever."

The top five vote-getters were Walter Payton (44), Jerry Rice (33), Barry Sanders (19), Joe Montana (17) and Jim Brown (10).

All due respect to Payton, a terrific player and by all accounts an even better person, but when he outpolls Brown 44-10, we have a prime example of a generation gap.

Not only was Brown by far the best running back in NFL history, he had the talent to be an All-Pro linebacker.

ESPN recently conducted a preseason poll of its 11 pro football "experts" to pick the "greatest all-time NFL player" and the results were far more satisfying for Brown's fans and admirers.

Each ESPN panelist picked his top 10 players, and Brown was a landslide winner with 102 total points. He was the only player to appear on all 11 ballots (four votes for No. 1, six votes for No. 2 and one vote for No. 3).

The rest of the top 10 (first-place votes in parentheses): Jerry Rice (2), Joe Montana (1), Payton (1), Lawrence Taylor, Johnny Unitas, John Elway (2), Dick Butkus, Reggie White and (tie for 10th) Sammy Baugh (1) and Deacon Jones.

A total of 27 players received at least one vote (14 on offense and 13 on defense). Dan Marino was a surprisingly low 14th with 9 points. Emmitt Smith received only one 10th-place vote. Rice was the only wide receiver to receive a vote. Players completely blanked included O.J. Simpson and Brett Favre.

<http://bengals.enquirer.com/2004/09/04/ben2brown.html>

Livinginthe past
09-13-2006, 01:47 AM
I guess you have to give it to a guy the redefined the position.

It doesn't get much better than that.

NM

83-Steelers-43
09-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Aside from him being a complete a-hole, I would have to say Jim Brown.

HometownGal
09-13-2006, 08:10 AM
I guess you have to give it to a guy the redefined the position.

It doesn't get much better than that.

NM

I agree, LITP. Brown was just amazing and one tough SOB. I also loved seeing Walter Payton's name up there - what a treat it was to watch Sweetness take off with the ball, leaving a cloud of dirt and a bunch of befuddled defenders behind him! :cool:

BlackNGold203
09-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Cant argue with brown....

In my opinion, no one was better than Barry Sanders...if he hadnt retired...he would be the all time leading rusher by a mile...playing on some horrible Detroit teams...possibly the only exception to the "a RB is only as good as his O-line" argument...

hardwork
09-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Cant argue with brown....

In my opinion, no one was better than Barry Sanders...if he hadnt retired...he would be the all time leading rusher by a mile...playing on some horrible Detroit teams...possibly the only exception to the "a RB is only as good as his O-line" argument...

Sanders was unique, no question. He moved like a crab out there. But still, he couldn't do what Brown could do.

Some people question if Brown could do today what he did against smaller LBers and slower DBs back in the 60s. Perhaps, perhaps, he wouldn't have the same numbers, but I wouldn't want to live on the difference.

If you watch a back like Dillon, and I pick him because I see him every week, and pretend Brown is making the same run, you'll understand quickly that Brown would be just as good today. A lot of people don't realize how strong Jim Brown was. I've seen him in person and he looks like he was cut from steel. You're talking about the same kind of strength Wilt Chamberlain had.

PisnNapalm
09-13-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm too young to have seen Jim Brown play. I've seen some footage of him though, highlights mostly.

I always like Earl Campbell and wish he could have played for the Steelers. He was a beast!

lilyoder6
09-13-2006, 08:42 PM
i think if barry had a better team he would have been a lot better.. i mean during the 90's the lions sucked..

boLT fan
09-13-2006, 08:53 PM
i think if barry had a better team he would have been a lot better.. i mean during the 90's the lions sucked..

During the [insert decade here] the Lions sucked, not just the 90's. :thmbup: