PDA

View Full Version : Jacobs Released/Other Notes

83-Steelers-43
09-13-2006, 05:17 AM
Steelers Notebook: Rookie Jacobs released
Wednesday, September 13, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers gave up on rookie quarterback Omar Jacobs when they released him from their practice squad yesterday.

The team drafted Jacobs in the fifth round from Bowling Green University, where he passed for 6,938 yards. He had every chance to win the No. 3 job behind Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch and failed to do so.

The Steelers contacted the agent for quarterback Brian St. Pierre even before Roethlisberger's Sept. 3 appendectomy with the idea he would become the No. 3 quarterback. St. Pierre served as the backup for the opener Thursday and Jacobs remained on the practice squad.

Coach Bill Cowher said he has no plans to make any moves to his 53-man roster this week, which means St. Pierre will remain on it for at least one more game. It's possible he could go onto the practice squad after that.

The Steelers signed receiver Walter Young back to their practice squad to replace Jacobs. Young spent the past two seasons on their practice squad.

Davenport fits in

Veteran halfback Najeh Davenport, signed on Friday, will get a chance to play Monday night in Jacksonville.

"We will see what he is able to pick up and how comfortable he is," Cowher said. "I think he is a proven big back and I think we are looking for that."

The Steelers would like to find someone to take some carries off the shoulders of starter Willie Parker and also to use around the goal line. Davenport, 27, is 6 feet 1, 247 pounds.

"I have watched him run; I think he fits what we are looking for," Cowher said. "He is a young guy. He could also play some in the kicking game. He has played third down, he has played fullback. I think he gives you a lot of versatility.

"I think he is the one guy that was out there that fits what we were looking for at this point, with the makeup of our roster."

Parker ran 29 times, the most in his brief pro career, against Miami Thursday night and Cowher does not want to give his 5-10, 209-pound back a steady diet of that.

"It's not so much the size, it's the size as it relates to 16 games and wanting to have him fresh," Cowher said. "I don't want to give Willie 30 carries a game, every game. The fact that we're running the football means we have to utilize our other guys."

Parker carried 255 times last season for 1,202 yards, adding another 57 carries for 225 yards in the postseason.

No sympathy for Saban

Cowher seemed to have no sympathy for the plight of Miami coach Nick Saban over his throwing the late red challenge flag Thursday night that was missed by referee Walt Coleman.

He said he does not expect coaches to change the way they toss the flag because they've been told they can toss it any way they want to make sure the referee sees it.

"I've been down there standing right next to the guy," Cowher said. "We've always had the freedom to do that. That has never been an issue in my mind."

Cowher said he has followed a similar procedure, finding the closest official, letting him know he might throw a flag and then staying close to the official when he does toss it.

"You can leave the [coach's] box and go down to the side judge or line judge, whoever is on your side, and just sit there and throw it. He'll blow the whistle. I've told them before that I'm looking at it and they tell you to be careful you don't get too close to the snap count. That's really a non-issue."

A slippery issue

The Steelers looked as if they were playing on Chiquita Field rather than Heinz Field Thursday night because players slipped so often.

Cowher noticed that and the fact that the Miami Dolphins did not seem to have that kind of trouble with their footing, and he talked to his players about it.

"I brought it to their attention," Cowher said. "Hopefully, it will be something that will be rectified in the future."

In other words, he wants his players to wear the proper shoes with cleats of an appropriate length for the field conditions.

Quick hits

The Steelers are 0-3 in Jacksonville in the month of September. ... The Steelers, for a change, will wear their white jerseys in the early season game in the Florida heat and the Jaguars will wear the teal. However, with an 8:30 p.m. kickoff, the dark jerseys won't have a chance to soak up any extra sun. ... Batch's 126.5 passer rating in the opener was his best since his rookie season in Detroit in 1998.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06256/721355-66.stm

stillers4me
09-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Why isn't the cleats issue a no-brainer......????

Didn't Ben say he wore the wrong ones last year in one of the big games?? I would think this is one of the basics that shouldn't be happening on a professional football team.

HometownGal
09-13-2006, 06:28 AM
I'm a little surprised that the Steelers released Jacobs this soon, but they're the experts and know what they're doing. I'm comfy with them hanging on to Frenchy. :cool:

BlackNGold203
09-13-2006, 06:46 AM
As much as I hate to piss away a 5th round pick...obviously Omar just didnt get it done....

I agree on the cleats issue...seems proposterous to me that this could actually be a problem...once players started slipping..equipment changes should have been made...

Oh well...workin out the kinks I guess...:cool: :cool:

Midnightwriter07
09-13-2006, 07:28 AM
I dont think it matter so much that we cut jacobs, I say this because Batch is not exactly an old man... Hei s from Pittsburgh and will stay here. He is not someone that needs to be developed, he is set as the back up to the Steelers probably for the next 5 years.. Obviously, they were not real high on Jabobs after watching him play each day .....and given that to even make this roster on the practice squad is a feat of itself given that we have roughtly the same back... think of next year where we dont lose anyone to free agency.... it will be even more difficult for us to keep anyone beyong the 2dn round draft pick.

stlrtruck
09-13-2006, 07:36 AM
From what I've heard (from working around those that deal with the issue) the cleats issue is usually something the equipment people are suppose to prepare (which I don't understand why someone making millions of dollars can't prepare their own cleats). That's usually why when teams travel, they have multiple pairs of cleats.

So why wouldn't it be the same at home?

19ward86
09-13-2006, 08:13 AM
we should of kept jacobs, i think he would of been good

floodcitygirl
09-13-2006, 08:17 AM
From what I've heard (from working around those that deal with the issue) the cleats issue is usually something the equipment people are suppose to prepare (which I don't understand why someone making millions of dollars can't prepare their own cleats). That's usually why when teams travel, they have multiple pairs of cleats.

So why wouldn't it be the same at home?Bottom line...cleats should never be an issue.

Lyn
09-13-2006, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=19ward86;149331]we should of kept jacobs, i think he would of been good[/QUOTE

I would have beein interested in seeing him develop. The FO did what they needed to do.

tony hipchest
09-13-2006, 09:47 AM
on the cleats:

cowher doesnt check the type of shoes his players are wearing or even think about micromanaging that stuff, just like he doesnt check to see if they brush their teeth before going to bed.

the speed demons like s. holmes and willie parker probably made a mistake and wore shorter cleats to improve their speed and it also cuts down the risk of a knee injury.

players like marshall faulk and barry sanders loved their fast tracks at home where they didnt need to wear cleats.

new players like holmes arent used to the conditions of heinz field. im sure cowher told him to get used to the field and make the right decisions real quick.

BlackNGold203
09-13-2006, 09:56 AM
I hope Tyrone Carter got the memo too.....:dang: :dang:

lilyoder6
09-13-2006, 07:50 PM
didn't we get patrick cobbs as well???

83-Steelers-43
09-13-2006, 08:09 PM
didn't we get patrick cobbs as well???

Cobbs was released. He cleared waivers and turned down the Steelers offer to sign with our PS.

Midnightwriter07
09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Cobbs is on Miami's practice squad

Big Fella
09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
While I agree having the wrong cleats at this level should never be an issue, our field only furthers the problem.

I got into a debate with a fellow Steelers fan after the Bears game last year. With the field conditions, he claimed that the game was old fashioned Steelers football, and the field helped us.

I agreed saying it was indeed typical hard-nosed Steelers football, but the field conditions still put the health of our players at risk. At one point in that game I thought the Bus wasn't getting up due to an akward fall because of the field.