PDA

View Full Version : Question for Bengals fans????

clevestinks
07-02-2005, 07:56 AM
With so many of you here now, I have a question. What is up with ownership there? Not trying to be a smart donkey or anything! I have heard from a couple of your fans on this site that they are not real happy with current ownership, so I searhed the web a little and found out that there are alot of you who would like new owners. What seems to be the biggest problem? And are most fans wanting new owners, or just a few unhappy campers?

bengalsfan21
07-02-2005, 08:36 AM
The problem is we have a tight wad who don't want to pay for anyone...look at Warren Sapp(I wouldn't have been excited to get him personaly bc he's old) he is a respected veteran. We had him in the mix until Mikey wanted to play with the numbers in the contract he had offered to him, thats just one case....But the guy don't want to pay for talent he thinks even though they have proved themselves somewhere else they need to do it here before getting paid....Look at Chad Johnson i'm surprised he hasn't held out for a bigger contract but I respect him for it, he deserves more he's a playmaker and would make double elsewhere but i'm sure Mikey didn't want to pay him too much...Everything will be fine if he just turns complete ownership over to his daughter he has been giving her and her husband more control these past few years and we have had a turn around as you and anyone else can see....I'm sure I speak for all bengals fans here when I say we miss Paul, but it's getting better.

clevestinks
07-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I understand that, but we have ownership that is notorius for having lower payrolls than most. He has to be more than that. We rarely an I mean hardly ever get a big name big money Free agent. The redskins spend tons of $$$ and get nothing in return, so its not always the money.

bengalsfan21
07-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Yea but when you have someone that don't want to pay and a team that can't seem to win, what free agent would be interested....Washington might not have won with the top notch guys but they came for the money, with out a decent free agencey appeal why even have a team. And your ownership will be the reason Hines don't get signed, you better start a petiton like we did for Rudi!!!

clevestinks
07-02-2005, 09:10 AM
I`d be lying if i said i wasn`t worried about Hines signing. Because he is so valuable as a player on and off the field. But I won`t lose any sleep, well maybe some, cause I know ownership must have an alternative. But please hurry and sign him anyways.

LambertIsGod58
07-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Hines is a STEELER through and through....I would hope to think as long as we give him close to what he's worth, he'll be back.

clevestinks
07-02-2005, 10:25 AM
Hines is a STEELER through and through....I would hope to think as long as we give him close to what he's worth, he'll be back.

Cross your fingers! I know they already mentioned that they were far apart.

bengalsfan21
07-02-2005, 10:38 AM
The problem is a guy proves he is good and he wants a better contract then the last guy....And the thinking of owners and teams is if we got this guy and he was good, who's to say we can't sign a rookie for cheap who will prove himself in a few years.... Then they won't have to restructure his contract for a while....Just hope Hines don;t end up like T.O....

RoethlisBURGHer
07-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Hines will be a Steeler next year,no worries.

You guys better hope the Brown isn't the majority owner when Palmer is up for a new contract because he probally won't wanna pay Palmer and then you'll lose him and he'll be a star somewhere else.

bengalsfan21
07-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Hines will be a Steeler next year,no worries.

You guys better hope the Brown isn't the majority owner when Palmer is up for a new contract because he probally won't wanna pay Palmer and then you'll lose him and he'll be a star somewhere else.

Your right but we have 4-5 years for that...I'm sure his daughter will take over by then, As long as she will do what it takes to keep stars here it's all good but if she is like Mike which she isn't there will be problems......I hope the team stays in the family bc it's hard t find a franchise now day with the same owners as when they started(I mean same family).

RoethlisBURGHer
07-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Your right but we have 4-5 years for that...I'm sure his daughter will take over by then, As long as she will do what it takes to keep stars here it's all good but if she is like Mike which she isn't there will be problems......I hope the team stays in the family bc it's hard t find a franchise now day with the same owners as when they started(I mean same family).

I hope for the same as you do.

And yes there are very few.The Brown's and the Rooney's are the only ones that come to mind.

bengalsfan21
07-02-2005, 10:59 AM
I hope for the same as you do.

And yes there are very few.The Brown's and the Rooney's are the only ones that come to mind.

I just personaly think it's good for the team and the NFL....it seems as if ppl buy a team to have a little fun then sell it.

BengalBrian
07-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Mike Brown thinks he is his dad.. The BIGGEST football legend ever.. Paul Brown...

So he thinks he knows what he is doing when he plays a part in the draft.. 2003 he admitted he played too much in that part and put all the decision making (at least most anyway) in Marvin Lewis' hand.. Hence.. Praise Marvin, Thank you Mike!

Mike aint all that bad as an OWNER... As a Coach or Draft Picker.. Not quite

RoethlisBURGHer
07-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Mike Brown thinks he is his dad.. The BIGGEST football legend ever.. Paul Brown...

*cough*VinceLombardi*cough*

:D

BlitzburghRockCity
07-02-2005, 04:04 PM

So he thinks he knows what he is doing when he plays a part in the draft.. 2003 he admitted he played too much in that part and put all the decision making (at least most anyway) in Marvin Lewis' hand.. Hence.. Praise Marvin, Thank you Mike!

Its good he realized who needs to be doing the chosing of players for his team..all he needs to do is sign the check and look cool in front of the camera.. BUT, he's created quite a mess for Marvin to sort out...

clevestinks
07-02-2005, 10:31 PM

Finally got an answer to my question. Thanks!

BengalBrian
07-02-2005, 10:37 PM
*cough*VinceLombardi*cough*

:D
You probably dont even know who Paul Brown is, do you?

BengalBrian
07-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Its good he realized who needs to be doing the chosing of players for his team..all he needs to do is sign the check and look cool in front of the camera.. BUT, he's created quite a mess for Marvin to sort out...
He sure did.. And he was tight, but he is getting better it seems.. We resigned Chad last year and his contract wasnt up.. That is unusual from past years

bengalsfan21
07-02-2005, 10:40 PM
He sure did.. And he was tight, but he is getting better it seems.. We resigned Chad last year and his contract wasnt up.. That is unusual from past years

We resigned him but didn't pay him enough....He should go on strike or something after the season..

BengalBrian
07-02-2005, 10:44 PM
We resigned him but didn't pay him enough....He should go on strike or something after the season..
:confused:

You baffle me sometimes

clevestinks
07-02-2005, 10:45 PM
So Chad is under contract for how long? And he is happy with present contract??

bengalsfan21
07-02-2005, 10:46 PM
:confused:

You baffle me sometimes

I just think he deserves more money....He can out perform Marvin Harrison any day and if not he's just as good, and the same with Hines Ward he is just as good as him if not better(bad comparison since he wasn't signed yet)

bengalsfan21
07-02-2005, 10:47 PM
So Chad is under contract for how long? And he is happy with present contract??

Until 2009 and he has not said one word about his contract

BengalBrian
07-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Until 2009 and he has not said one word about his contract
In fact his agent tried to get him to hold out this season and Chad basically said he was here to play football and thats what he was gonna do..

He's a class act.. His goofy stunts are the only things that people hear about

clevestinks
07-02-2005, 10:57 PM
I have heard that he is a stand up guy! Its just so hard to beleive when you read some of the stupid stuff.

BengalBrian
07-02-2005, 11:01 PM
I have heard that he is a stand up guy! Its just so hard to beleive when you read some of the stupid stuff.

He really is.. He is just a kid though... He will grow up some.. I just hope he never loses his spirit

www.cincybengals.com/video/MOV00391.MPG

I missed the first few min of him dancing around.. This was last year in training camp.. He showed up in a Pink Caddy :) He's just crazy

WHODEY2005
07-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Actually, the problem has nothing to do with Mike Brown thinking he is his dad. His problem was, he knew he didn't know much about football, but what he did know was that loyalty is important. In his case, he made it too important. He wanted to keep every player he every drafted and do little to nothing with free agency. He wanted to hire former Bengals as coaches. He stuck by his guys, most often far too long. Even worse, he picked guys who were loyal to him. In being loyal to him, instead of improving the team, they defered to Mike Brown.

Why are the Bengals improving? Because Mike Brown finally changed a bit. He looked outside of Stripes for a coach and picked the BEST GUY AVAILABLE, not the best BENGAL available. Marvin Lewis didn't come in and defer to Mr. Brown, the owner. Marvin Lewis came in and said, First off, lets get a better weight and training room. Secondly, lets cut the fat and get rid of a lot of the guys who just aren't performing. Next, we must get a scouting department that isn't just coaches and draft better players. Finally, we can't draft a guy and expect him to be the QB of the future and then just throw him to the wolves. Lets take the guy we have and let him play a whole season without looking behind him instead of at the field, wondering when he is going to be benched. Let's let the rookie QB watch and learn from the cerebral veteran and then next season, we'll start him. Then he stuck by his word.

Mike Brown gets a lot of slack and hate because lets face it, the buck stops there. But in all honesty, the only thing he can be accused of is not being his father, and trying to be loyal to his fans, his players, and his team.