PDA

View Full Version : Staley takes high road on inactivity

83-Steelers-43
09-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Steelers RB Staley takes high road on inactivity
Thursday, September 14, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Duce Staley does not understand why the Steelers keep signing running backs to try to do a job he feels fully capable of handling.

One week ago, it was undrafted rookie Patrick Cobbs, acquired in a trade with New England. Now, it's veteran Najeh Davenport, signed off the scrap heap Friday after Green Bay released him.

"It's part of the business," Staley said yesterday after practice. "I can't really sit here and say I've never seen it before because I have. It's part of the business, and that's something that's going to be done whether I like it or not."

All he wants, he said, is the chance to show he can still cut it at age 31. It's something, he said, he cannot do in practice. He says he still has the zip in his legs required for a successful running back in the NFL.

"Oh, yeah, I know I do; I know I do. It's all about opportunity, to get in there and prove that. You and I can sit here and talk about it back and forth forever, but, until you get a chance to get out there on the field in real live action with the first team, you won't know.

"In practice, you work on angles, you work on plays that you're trying to put in for that week, but, as far as going against the first team all-out, we're not going to do that. We're not going to have the type of practice we're going to have in camp. Only games can simulate that, therefore you won't be able to prove that in practice."

Staley agreed in March to take a $1 million cut in salary to $1.5 million this season. Once he was on the roster for the first game, he was on their books to make his entire salary in 2006 no matter what. Yet the Steelers, by their very actions and sometimes words, show they do not think he is the man to fill the role vacated when Jerome Bettis retired: Backup to starter Willie Parker with some running on the goal line thrown in.

They signed Davenport, who stands 6 feet 1 and weighs 247 pounds, to do that job.

"He's a proven big back," coach Bill Cowher said Tuesday. "We were kind of looking for that. ... Looking at our football team, the ability to get Najeh and what he's done, I've watched him play and I think he fits what we're looking for."

Staley rushed for 707 yards in his first seven games with the Steelers in 2004. He missed most of last season after knee surgery, but helped them win their game against Green Bay with 76 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries after Parker was hurt in the first quarter.

The coaches counted on him handling the Bettis role this season, but were disappointed with his training camp practices. Cowher gave Staley by far more runs than anyone in preseason games, 42 compared to John Kuhn's No. 2 rank at 18. Staley gained 92 yards (2.2 average) with a long run of 6 yards.

He made it into one play Thursday against Miami as a blocker in the backfield on a pass. Cowher said Davenport could dress Monday night, which would leave Staley inactive in all likelihood.

"I'm not here to sit and talk bad about it or say anything bad about it," Staley said, promising he will cause no problems. "What I am here to do is help my teammates win. Having a negative attitude won't get the job done. So I'm going to stay positive, and things will work themselves out."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06257/721683-66.stm

section514
09-13-2006, 11:13 PM
personally i dont like duce, well let me rephrase that, i dont have any reason to like duce, he has shown me nothing, so personally i think he is a waste of money, i think we should have released him or at least traded him away, davenport is ok for me, but i like haynes....the duce is done in my eyes, go back to philly and retire there, you have done little for pittsburgh

Texasfan
09-14-2006, 12:37 AM
personally i dont like duce, well let me rephrase that, i dont have any reason to like duce, he has shown me nothing, so personally i think he is a waste of money, i think we should have released him or at least traded him away, davenport is ok for me, but i like haynes....the duce is done in my eyes, go back to philly and retire there, you have done little for pittsburgh

I'm sorry, did you say something? I was too busy looking at the terrible towel.:eyecrazy:

jaysta
09-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Steelers RB Staley takes high road on inactivity

Duce Staley does not understand why the Steelers keep signing running backs to try to do a job he feels fully capable of handling.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06257/721683-66.stm

LOL. I guess he didn't see any tape of himself during the preseason games. :smile:

stlrtruck
09-14-2006, 07:33 AM
I think he's a little like the Bus...he doesn't get many yardage in the first two quarters but by the 4th quarter he's running (or was running) over people. But I agree with Section 514 in that he hasn't shown me much and there's no reason to give him 25 touches in a game. Especially when one of our released players seemed to perform better in the pre-season.

As much as I appreciate Duce taking the high road and it shows his true character, there comes a time when a team has to cut their loses and move forward.

BRING BACK KUHN

Atlanta Dan
09-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Maybe Staley should go out and do some jogging along that high road.

Duce has reported to camp out of shape the past two years.

Cowher has a well deserved rep as a player's coach; if he keeps bringing in alternatives for a job that is Duce's for the asking that is a strong statement on Cowher's views of Staley's diminished skills and poor work ethic,

Steel12
09-14-2006, 10:18 AM
We've all seen what Duce can bring when he's given the chance...I don't see how he's gettin bashed because he's being a good team player.

HometownGal
09-14-2006, 10:34 AM
We've all seen what Duce can bring when he's given the chance...I don't see how he's gettin bashed because he's being a good team player.

I'm not here to bash Duce, but I saw what he brought in the pre-season when given the chance. A 2.2 average on 42 carries - not good. He cannot expect to come into camp overweight, underachieve and be handed a position. He has to earn it and thus far, I haven't seen any indication of that. I've always liked Duce and maybe - just maybe - if given another opportunity he will step up his play, but I think Najeh Davenport's signing is the writing on the wall.

Blitzburgh
09-14-2006, 10:43 AM
I am here to bash Duce, and deservingly so. The man is commiting highway robbery by playing the "oh golly gosh, I just want to help my team" card. He's getting $1.5 mil. this year for coming into camp out of shape and now, once again, he's religated to the role of sideline cheerleader modeling new NFL sweat shirt apparell.

Sorry to you Duce apologists, but he's a worthless POS IMO ....

Steel12
09-14-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm not here to bash Duce, but I saw what he brought in the pre-season when given the chance. A 2.2 average on 42 carries - not good. He cannot expect to come into camp overweight, underachieve and be handed a position. He has to earn it and thus far, I haven't seen any indication of that. I've always liked Duce and maybe - just maybe - if given another opportunity he will step up his play, but I think Najeh Davenport's signing is the writing on the wall.

Didn't most of his carries come when he was playin with the 2nd string though? How can you avg. 4 yards a carry if the linemen and linebackers are in the backfield as soon as you take 1 step. Of course, that didn't happen on all of his carries but it did happen often. I'm definately not sayin that he should start, but why not give him a chance bein the goalline back. He's sat on the sidelines, taken a paycut...all for the team. We shouldn't forget that he was the starter and was a beast for us 2 years ago.

83-Steelers-43
09-14-2006, 10:47 AM

My point of view.....

It's not so much his lack of productivity that has turned me off these last two weeks. It's the fact that he came into camp completely out of shape. To me, that shows a complete lack of discipline from a supposed "veteran". Ask anybody here, I was more than willing to give Duce the benefit of the doubt (give him time, it's only preseason, give him time) until I heard about him coming to training camp completely out of shape. There is NO excuse for those actions. Duce was a "good team player" last year when he stepped to the side for Bettis. Right now he's getting paid $1.5 million to sit on the sidelines because he came to camp looking like Jabba the Hut and it showed on the field.

Now we went out and found somebody who is willing to take this game seriously. Staley has no choice but to keep his mouth shut. He's in no position to not be a "team player". We can sit here and talk about what he did two years ago until we are blue in the face. Let's talk about what he has done since the start of training camp. That's all that matters.

Obviously the fans are not the only ones who are tired and fed up with Staley. The FO was scrambling for HB's (first Cobbs, now Davenport). What does that tell you? It tell's me one thing, that they (the people who know better than us) are not very happy with Duce Staley.

SteelerFanInCA
09-14-2006, 10:50 AM
He definitely had the opportunity to come in and fill Jerome's shoes. Like you said 83, his work ethic and laziness is all to blame. I think the FO surely knows what's going on.

Steel12
09-14-2006, 10:52 AM
I am here to bash Duce, and deservingly so. The man is commiting highway robbery by playing the "oh golly gosh, I just want to help my team" card. He's getting $1.5 mil. this year for coming into camp out of shape and now, once again, he's religated to the role of sideline cheerleader modeling new NFL sweat shirt apparell.

Sorry to you Duce apologists, but he's a worthless POS IMO ....

A lot of back-ups are making good money and haven't proven themselves in the league. I bet Duce wasn't a POS 2 years ago...I don't see how he can be one now.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-14-2006, 10:53 AM

At $1.5 mil..I can PROMISE you that I would be willing to show up for work unprepared, be told that I can stay home next week with pay..........and be a good sport!!!

Steel12
09-14-2006, 10:54 AM
My point of view.....

It's not so much his lack of productivity that has turned me off these last two weeks. It's the fact that he came into camp completely out of shape. To me, that shows a complete lack of discipline from a supposed "veteran". Ask anybody here, I was more than willing to give Duce the benefit of the doubt (give him time, it's only preseason, give him time) until I heard about him coming to training camp completely out of shape. There is NO excuse for those actions. Duce was a "good team player" last year when he stepped to the side for Bettis. Right now he's getting paid $1.5 million to sit on the sidelines because he came to camp looking like Jabba the Hut and it showed on the field. Now we went out and found somebody who is willing to take this game seriously. Staley has no choice but to keep his mouth shut. He's in no position to not be a "team player".

Obviously the fans are not the only ones who are tired and fed up with Staley. The FO was scrambling for HB's (first Cobbs, now Davenport). What does that tell you? It tell's me one thing, that they (the people who know better than us) are not very happy with Duce Staley.

I hear you and I'm not sayin that the FO doesn't know better than I do. I'm just sayin that Duce, when given the chance, has proved to be a good RB.

Lyn
09-14-2006, 11:01 AM
I hear you and I'm not sayin that the FO doesn't know better than I do. I'm just sayin that Duce, when given the chance, has proved to be a good RB.

When? When he was with Philly?

83-Steelers-43
09-14-2006, 11:03 AM

Right, but that was two years ago. No doubt he looked good when he first arrived in Pittsburgh. What was it? Over 700 yards in 7 games or something like that. That's great, but what he did two years ago has nothing to do with coming to camp this year out of shape and it showing on the field.

HometownGal
09-14-2006, 11:04 AM
A lot of back-ups are making good money and haven't proven themselves in the league. I bet Duce wasn't a POS 2 years ago...I don't see how he can be one now.

Duce wasn't an out of shape underachiever 2 years ago, Steel12. He showed a lot of promise in the first 7 games that he wore the black and gold. As 83 said - the job was his for the taking if he had put forth even a little effort in getting into shape and busting his ass in camp. Cowher has repeatedly said that he wasn't pleased with his camp effort - I think that says it all.

floodcitygirl
09-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Right, but that was two years ago. No doubt he looked good when he first arrived in Pittsburgh. What was it? Over 700 yards in 7 games or something like that. That's great, but what he did two years ago has nothing to do with coming to camp this year out of shape and it showing on the field.Pretty much sums it up. Does your employer pay you today based soley on your performance from 2 years ago, if you're not prepared to do it today? If so, I need a new job.

Blitzburgh
09-14-2006, 11:09 AM
A lot of back-ups are making good money and haven't proven themselves in the league. I bet Duce wasn't a POS 2 years ago...I don't see how he can be one now.:blah:

Personally, I don't give a damn what Duce or any other player did 2 years ago. It's yesterdays paper man, not doing us any good now.

As far as his conditioning is concerned, ANY aging back on the back side of their career will tell that 2 years means everything. It's not like Duce is a 24 year old kid. He's got to work for everything at this juncture of his career just to MAINTAIN, if he doesn't .... and he didn't ..... he will fail. Hence the vote of "No Confidence" from the Stillers front offices.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-14-2006, 11:16 AM
I've side it before and I'll say it again. Duce's career is over.

Steel12
09-14-2006, 12:43 PM
When? When he was with Philly?

How about when he was leading the league in rushing in a Steeler uniform.

Steel12
09-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Right, but that was two years ago. No doubt he looked good when he first arrived in Pittsburgh. What was it? Over 700 yards in 7 games or something like that. That's great, but what he did two years ago has nothing to do with coming to camp this year out of shape and it showing on the field.

I thought pre-season didn't mean much...comin into camp out of shape is unacceptable, I agree but pre-season numbers don't mean a thing. Look at any top back and what he did in the pre-season and you'll see that.

Steel12
09-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Pretty much sums it up. Does your employer pay you today based soley on your performance from 2 years ago, if you're not prepared to do it today? If so, I need a new job.

Yes...it's called the military lol

83-Steelers-43
09-14-2006, 12:47 PM
I thought pre-season didn't mean much...comin into camp out of shape is unacceptable, I agree but pre-season numbers don't mean a thing. Look at any top back and what he did in the pre-season and you'll see that.

Right....he came to camp out of shape and as a result of coming to shape out of shape, his play on the field hasn't looked good. He looks slow, no pop and out of shape. Which is why we went out and brought in another back.

You asked why fans are down on Duce. I simply threw a reason out there.

83-Steelers-43
09-14-2006, 12:49 PM
I can't imagine the Rooney's sitting back and stating "Well, look what he did two years ago.". My guess, it went something like this..........."He came into camp out of shape. He looks slow. Let's start looking.".

We can't trade him because I strongly doubt anybody wants him. We can't release him for a few reasons.

Steel12
09-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Right....he came to camp out of shape and as a result of coming to shape out of shape, his play on the field hasn't looked good. He looks slow, no pop and out of shape. Which is why we went out and brought in another back.

I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree because I feel his play was a result of rust and playing with the second and third string. I don't think as the pre-season went on, he was still out of shape.

Steel12
09-14-2006, 12:52 PM
I can't imagine the Rooney's sitting back and stating "Well, look what he did two years ago.". My guess, it went something like this..........."He came into camp out of shape. He looks slow. Let's start looking.".

We can't trade him because I strongly doubt anybody wants him. We can't release him for a few reasons.

It probably did happen the way you said it did, I'm not disputing that. I just don't get the fans that dislike Duce and say he's a POS when all he's done is be patient and be a good teammate.

83-Steelers-43
09-14-2006, 12:53 PM
I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree because I feel his play was a result of rust and playing with the second and third string. I don't think as the pre-season went on, he was still out of shape.

I'm not doubting rust had something to do with it. That should have been more of a reason for him to make sure he was in top shape heading into camp.

floodcitygirl
09-14-2006, 12:55 PM
I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree because I feel his play was a result of rust and playing with the second and third string. I don't think as the pre-season went on, he was still out of shape.If that's the case then why do YOU think Cowher and Co. went looking for somebody else? Do you believe that it was some kind of personal bias?

83-Steelers-43
09-14-2006, 12:58 PM
It probably did happen the way you said it did, I'm not disputing that. I just don't get the fans that dislike Duce and say he's a POS when all he's done is be patient and be a good teammate.

Once again. He was patient last season.

This year is totally different. The job was there for the taking and he was the front runner. He came into camp out of shape. Rust or no rust, you can't come into camp out of shape. I don't care who you are.

As stated once already. You damn well better believe I would be a good teammate if I were getting paid $1.5 million a year to come to my job unprepared and not have to take heat from my colleagues or boss. IMO, It would be completely rediculous if he had a problem with the current situation (bringing in Cobbs for a short while and then the signing of Davenport). It's his fault.

Steel12
09-14-2006, 01:00 PM
If that's the case then why do YOU think Cowher and Co. went looking for somebody else? Do you believe that it was some kind of personal bias?

Ummm...I didn't have a problem with the FO looking for other RBs!

Steel12
09-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Once again. He was patient last season.

This year is totally different. The job was there for the taking and he was the front runner. He came into camp out of shape. Rust or no rust, you can't come into camp out of shape. I don't care who you are.

As stated once already. You damn well better believe I would be a good teammate if I were getting paid $1.5 million a year to come to my job unprepared and not have to take heat from my colleagues or boss. IMO, It would be completely rediculous if he had a problem with the current situation (bringing in Cobbs for a short while and then the signing of Davenport). It's his fault.

That's all we can go on is last season and pre-season. I'm not disputing anything you've said...I've already said what my problem was.

floodcitygirl
09-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Ummm...I didn't have a problem with the FO looking for other RBs!My point is, why would they do that if he was going to get the job done in their view?

83-Steelers-43
09-14-2006, 01:07 PM
That's all we can go on is last season and pre-season. I'm not disputing anything you've said...I've already said what my problem was.

And I'm not disputing he played good two years ago and was a good sport last season while getting paid very nicely and not having to take very much wear and tear.

Once again, you asked why fans (and obviously the FO) are upset and fed up with Staley. I just gave you a little insight from my point of view.

Steel12
09-14-2006, 01:10 PM
My point is, why would they do that if he was going to get the job done in their view?

I didn't say he was gettin the job done now or they thought he was gettin the job done. I wondered why fans still had a problem with him. I see now why they do. I still think he deserves some leniency but that is my opinion.

Steel12
09-14-2006, 01:14 PM
And I'm not disputing he played good two years ago and was a good sport last season while getting paid very nicely and not having to take very much wear and tear.

Once again, you asked why fans (and obviously the FO) are upset and fed up with Staley. I just gave you a little insight from my point of view.

ok cool

floodcitygirl
09-14-2006, 01:25 PM
I didn't say he was gettin the job done now or they thought he was gettin the job done. I wondered why fans still had a problem with him. I see now why they do. I still think he deserves some leniency but that is my opinion.No harm. That's what I was trying to understand...why you feel he deserves anything more than what he's getting? Is that because of his past performance only?

Steel12
09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
No harm. That's what I was trying to understand...why you feel he deserves anything more than what he's getting? Is that because of his past performance only?

yes ma'am...he only lost his job due to injury. Plus, he could've easily tried to make things unpleasant for the team by whining and complaining. But he didn't and I will always respect him for that.

floodcitygirl
09-14-2006, 01:33 PM
yes ma'am...he only lost his job due to injury. Plus, he could've easily tried to make things unpleasant for the team by whining and complaining. But he didn't and I will always respect him for that.Ok. I'll give him this, he definately said the right things in that interview. As has been said, I think that if he had come into camp in shape, alot more people would share in your continued respect for him. :smile:

Big Fella
09-14-2006, 03:43 PM
I no longer think Duce is an effective player, but I don't hate him. He could hang his head, complain, be a bad teammate, and make this situation uncomfortable. He hasn't, and he has cheered the team on every step of the way. I'd love to see him producing, or would have loved for us to bring in a back that produced instead of Duce, but the situation being what it is, I have no real complaints with the guy.

noto45
09-14-2006, 06:07 PM
the steelers have me baffeled on this one ....why didnt they cut him and get Duckett or whomever??? I dont get it why7 pay him to do nothing for insurace that we may need him??????????? beats me!!!!!!!

jaysta
09-14-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm not sure anyone really knows what to say about Duce. He hasn't done much of anything good or bad since he's been here. So on one hand you could bash him for being out of shape and not contributing, but on the other hand he doesn't complain openly about not playing so it's hard to bash him. Personally I don't see why they are keeping him either. If he's not going to play and be effective, cut him so some other team can play around with him. His best days seem to be behind him in Philly.