PDA

View Full Version : Favorite All-Time NFL Player

Elvis
09-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Now, I know that this is a Steelers forum.. but lets hear your favorite All-Time Non Steelers Player......
Mine? has to be a tie
Reggie White-- when the man was in his prime, there was No better at his position
Walter Payton** The greatest (in my opinion only) my only regret, that the team put the fridge in to run the ball for the TD in the super bowl instead of lettin the great Walter get a TD in the game... R.I.P. God Bless You Walter
and #56 Lawrence Taylor of the Giants... What a Beast.. he was awesome to watch
Be honest with your answers and have fun, that is what this is all about

HometownGal
09-14-2006, 07:53 AM
My man - Jim Kelly! In addition to all of the Steelers pics in my house, I have a huge pic of Jim on my bedroom wall! :bouncy:

http://www.profootballhof.com/assets/default/Kelly_Action_250X175.jpg

Buzz05
09-14-2006, 08:36 AM
I gotta go with Joe Montana...all the guy knew how to do was win. he did it with class and he did it the right way

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Dick Butkus 6'3 245 lbs....This dude had a Steeler mentality!!!!!!! Two-time College All-American.... All-NFL six times and played in the Pro Bowl eight times..... He retired after 9 years with 1,020 tackles, 489 assists and 22 interceptions.... His 27 recoveries of fumbles by opponents are now third on the all-time list, but Jim Marshall needed 20 years for his 29 recoveries and Rickey Jackson needed 15 seasons for his 28.

Quote..“When I went out on the field to warm up, I would manufacture things to make me mad. If someone on the other team was laughing, I'd pretend he was laughing at me or the Bears. It always worked for me."

Stillers#1
09-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Joe Namath, the only good NFL player to ever come from my high school. Plus the guy is classy as hell when he comes back home. I met him at Blackhawk Golf course once while my dad and I were golfing with his brother. Very nice guy, and he remembered me from winning the Joe Namath scholarship my sneior year at Beaver Falls.

floodcitygirl
09-14-2006, 10:52 AM
I won't say THE favorite but A favorite is Anthony Munoz....good player....terrific human being. I've been involved in some of the same charity fundraisers...great guy and family man. He does alot for our community.

Mosca
09-14-2006, 11:30 AM
For me the answer to that question is, who would I tune into on Sundays just to watch THAT GUY?

My answer is Earl Campbell. Man, he was a punishing back. I know the Steelers shut him down a few times, but there's no shame in that. He took a pounding, mostly because he was the Oiler's only weapon for so many years. By my memory, he was the first really fast, mobile, agile big back. Great feet, great hands, great speed, great power. I wish he'd been a Steeler. One of our competitors whom I respected the most.

Second choice, probably Ken Stabler. I always loved watching that guy.

Tom

HometownGal
09-14-2006, 12:19 PM
For me the answer to that question is, who would I tune into on Sundays just to watch THAT GUY?

My answer is Earl Campbell. Man, he was a punishing back. I know the Steelers shut him down a few times, but there's no shame in that. He took a pounding, mostly because he was the Oiler's only weapon for so many years. By my memory, he was the first really fast, mobile, agile big back. Great feet, great hands, great speed, great power. I wish he'd been a Steeler. One of our competitors whom I respected the most.

Tom

I loved Earl Campbell! :bouncy: He was as tough as they come and so quick for a man with such huge legs. I also loved the Mooner except when he played against us. Tough, durable and as gritty as a QB can be imho.

I always turned the sound down during Steelers/Oilers games because I couldn't bear to listen to that nauseating song their fans sang over and over and over again. Ughhhh. :rolleyes:

Mosca
09-14-2006, 12:37 PM
I loved Earl Campbell! :bouncy: He was as tough as they come and so quick for a man with such huge legs. I also loved the Mooner except when he played against us. Tough, durable and as gritty as a QB can be imho.

I always turned the sound down during Steelers/Oilers games because I couldn't bear to listen to that nauseating song their fans sang over and over and over again. Ughhhh. :rolleyes:

We're the Houston Oilers,
Houston Oilers!
Houston Oilers number one!

Yuck.

You gotta love Youtube. Check out this short highlight film. Look at what it took to bring this guy down, or NOT. Imagine that Foote put that hit on Shea, against the Browns... and Shea stays upright, bounces off and scores. You'll see a play like that on this highlight film. On one play, it takes the entire Steel Curtain defense to hold him to about 40 yards on one play, before being brought down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IMJvUgLCXE

HometownGal
09-14-2006, 12:52 PM
We're the Houston Oilers,
Houston Oilers!
Houston Oilers number one!

Yuck.

You gotta love Youtube. Check out this short highlight film. Look at what it took to bring this guy down, or NOT. Imagine that Foote put that hit on Shea, against the Browns... and Shea stays upright, bounces off and scores. You'll see a play like that on this highlight film. On one play, it takes the entire Steel Curtain defense to hold him to about 40 yards on one play, before being brought down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IMJvUgLCXE

That was great Tom - Earl Campbell was like a Mack Truck with a head. :cool: I was always so amazed at how this big man could run so fast. I wish they had fantasy football back then- LOL! Thanks for the link - I really enjoyed reminiscing and seeing him in action again. :smile:

ibleedburgundy
09-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Darrell Green. He was on the Redskins as far back as I can remember, and it was wierd the first year he wasn't a Redskin anymore. Like we lost our soul.

Favorite non-Redskin player would have to be Jerome Bettis. He was punishing, fun to watch, and a class act.

OK, favorite non-Redskin non-Steeler is Barry Sanders for obvious reasons.

augustashark
09-14-2006, 03:42 PM
I have three:

Eric Metcalf

Kevin Mack

Leroy Hoard

I loved those guys.

LambertIsGod58
09-14-2006, 07:00 PM
I have three:

Eric Metcalf

Kevin Mack

Leroy Hoard

I loved those guys.

Any particular reason that your favorites are all former Browns running backs?

LambertIsGod58
09-14-2006, 07:01 PM
It's tough since I have so many...But Butkus, Barry Sanders and Favre would have to be my top three non Steelers of All-Time.

MattsMe
09-14-2006, 07:10 PM
It's tough since I have so many...But Butkus, Barry Sanders and Favre would have to be my top three non Steelers of All-Time.

I would go with Sanders and Favre too. Butkus played before my time, but from the film I've watched he was great. (ok, better than great.)

augustashark
09-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Any particular reason that your favorites are all former Browns running backs?

Complete sarcasm my friend. I thought the title of the thread was most hated all time NFL player.

WV-SteelerFan
09-15-2006, 02:59 AM
[quote=Mosca;149769]You gotta love Youtube. Check out this short highlight film. Look at what it took to bring this guy down, or NOT. Imagine that Foote put that hit on Shea, against the Browns... and Shea stays upright, bounces off and scores. You'll see a play like that on this highlight film. On one play, it takes the entire Steel Curtain defense to hold him to about 40 yards on one play, before being brought down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IMJvUgLCXE[/quote (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IMJvUgLCXE[/quote)]

I watched the clip expecting to see him running against the Steelers. The Oilers & Steelers were division rivals. I wonder why they didn't show any?

Favorite All-Time NFL Player? Hard to pick one, but, probably Lawrence Taylor, NON-STEELER of course...lol
(But really, I liked any LB from Butkus on...)

crcsnail
09-15-2006, 10:20 AM
i liked watching mike singletary of the bears and jerry rice and joe montana

hardwork
09-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Big John Hannah. My seats then were really low close to the field and watching him led a sweep around end was amazing. The DBs would start looking for a place to hide.

Mosca
09-15-2006, 04:20 PM
I watched the clip expecting to see him running against the Steelers. The Oilers & Steelers were division rivals. I wonder why they didn't show any?

My mistake, the film is grainy; I mistook those white Chargers uniforms for Steelers on the first looksee. IIRC Earl had one or two decent games against the Steelers, but just as often we handled him OK.

Tom

Mosca
09-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Big John Hannah. My seats then were really low close to the field and watching him led a sweep around end was amazing. The DBs would start looking for a place to hide.

Hannah was incredible, big and fast and mean and talented. hardwork, for you I'd ask, who is your favorite non-Patriot of all time?

Tom

LarryNJ
09-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Bo Jackson. Even though he was a Raider and only played for a short time he was great to watch. One can only wonder what he may have done if he just played football and stayed healthy.

Others up on my list Walter Peyton, Barry Sanders & Ronnie Lott

hardwork
09-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Hannah was incredible, big and fast and mean and talented. hardwork, for you I'd ask, who is your favorite non-Patriot of all time?

Tom

Ok. Well, there certainly are a lot of players I enjoyed watching, but if I have to pick one non-Patriot I'm going with Jim Brown again. There is just nobody else that could drop your jaw as many times in one game as he could. The only other professional athlete I saw that was as gifted, was Bobby Orr. Both of those guys came down from higher leagues.

boLT fan
09-15-2006, 09:12 PM
I haven't been around as long as most of you (haha old farts) but without even watching him actually play, my favorite Charger by far was Kellen Winslow. Just hearing about the stuff he did on the field and watching highlights he seemed great. Along with him (not Charger players) it'd be Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton, Bo Jackson and Jerry Rice.

As far as players i've actually watched play, definatly LT or Gates.

PisnNapalm
09-15-2006, 09:19 PM

Tom

Earl Campbell was listed as 5' 11" 232 pounds

Franco Harris was listed as 6' 2" 230 pounds

I loved watching Earl run though. Franco would usually try to run around someone while Earl would rather run them over. :cool:

Ohio Steeler
09-15-2006, 09:41 PM
my favorite player of all time is Walter Payton, I am not a Bears fan however I just loved watching him play and the way he ran

WV-SteelerFan
09-15-2006, 09:48 PM
...Earl had one or two decent games against the Steelers, but just as often we handled him OK...

Maybe that's why they didn't show any, they didn't have any...LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

FSUBoo
09-18-2006, 12:50 AM
I honestly would say my favorite player of all time was probably Jerome Bettis. He was just my type of running back. And I'm not saying this just because I am a fan of the Steelers. You gotta love a RB that weighs 254(listed playing weight) and still runs for 13000+.

FSUBoo
09-18-2006, 12:59 AM
I didn't think to add my non Steeler favorite. I would probably have to say Deion Sanders. He was one of the few true shut down corners in the history of the game. And on his punt returns, he was one of the most exciting players ever. I didn't necessarily like his attitude, but you can't argue with the skills as a player. It doesn't hurt that he's a Seminole lol.